• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Although Sony is clamping down on saucy content in PlayStation games, Nintendo appears to be quite happy to leave any censorship decisions to rating systems.

The Japanese company recently reaffirmed this during its 79th Shareholders meeting, when president Shuntaro Furukawa was reminded about "other platforms" applying restrictions independently of CERO (Japan's rating organisation). This was his response on behalf of Nintendo:
Nintendo, as do 3rd-parties and their software, applies for an objective rating from 3rd-party organizations prior to release. If platform-holding companies choose arbitrarily, the diversity and fairness in game software would be significantly inhibited. We provide parental controls that can be used to apply limits.

glad to hear this. while there are questionable content that passes through the cracks of rating boards, i strongly believe that it shouldn't be the job of 1st party platform holders and any regulation and censorship should come from the rating boards.

Trixie Mattel

Nov 9, 2017
I mean yeah, why do the parenting job for them when actual parents can spend the 20 seconds to set up parental controls.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Then why did they remove most of the religious references typical of the Xeno-series from Xenoblade 2?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I dunno. If anyone should censor shit its Nintendo. Im old enough to remember their Mortal Kombat 1 controversy, and they've spent years cultivating this image.

I also think 'ITS THE PARENTS' is a cop out with a system that's portable. Im not gonna frisk a kid's Switch if he brings it over for a playdate, etc. Plus its inconsistent where nudity = bad, but a boatload of controversial issues gets hit with the ban

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Good. Sony can fuck off with the shit they've been doing lately. Rating boards exist for a reason and consumers should be able to decide what kind of content that they want to see. If Sony truly only cares about the "1000 year old dragon" stuff then just make a policy that prohibits the sale of that kind of content on their platform. They're just dancing around the issue with a nebulous censorship policy. They're still ok with the money that those games provide them though, obviously.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A reasonable stance, if the ESRB decides it's fine and not deserving of an AO rating then I don't see why Nintendo should care.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. If anyone should censor shit its Nintendo. Im old enough to remember their Mortal Kombat 1 controversy, and they've spent years cultivating this image.

I also think 'ITS THE PARENTS' is a cop out with a system that's portable. Im not gonna frisk a kid's Switch if he brings it over for a playdate, etc
the "parental controls" are just an extra measure. the main take-away is that they're not gonna ask or force 3rd parties to change their games, they're saying the rating boards are there for that and that's their job. as long as a game gets past the boards, they don't want to take any extra step before allowing it on their platform.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

I also think 'ITS THE PARENTS' is a cop out with a system that's portable. Im not gonna frisk a kid's Switch if he brings it over for a playdate, etc. Plus its inconsistent where nudity = bad, but a boatload of controversial issues gets hit with the ban

If you're old enough to remember the controversy of Mortal Kombat 1, you're also old enough to remember that Nintendo forcing Midway to replace the blood with sweat fed into the "Nintendo is for kiddies" narrative (that Sega helped push) and how that hurt them in some ways for decades.

Also, if you're not going to frisk your kids friend for what maybe unsuitable games he has on his switch, you'll probably also let his phone rock and he might have hardcore donkey snuff on that thing for all you know. What are you really going to miss on a Switch? Doom? Some crappy visual novel with anime tits?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
What is there to censor in most games that isn't creepy 100000 year old dragon garbage?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Hasn't this always been their stance?

I remember the Gamecube version of BMX XXX was unsensored but the PS2 version blocked out the nudity.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
As it should be. Rating boards exist for that reason.

Sony having a unclear all over the place policy that could cause a delay of a game despite passing rating boards just is not the way.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has been doing the right thing recently keeping this trash off of the PS4. Its sad that Nintendo is abandoning its family friendly image that it has cultivated over the years.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick reminder of the type of 'content' you are supporting if you are happy with this stance:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ed-ps4-version-censored.110987/#post-19751954
being happy about this stance isn't the same as supporting or liking that content. it's just that a platform holder shouldn't have that much power over the content that gets published on the platform. there are actual organization, acting according to law and objective rules, that decide that. if that content is not ok, they should lobby to change the laws and regulations.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
This is definitely a change from just a few years back when they refused to allow Binding of Isaac to be released due to it "bashing religion" or whatever

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was obvious from the beginning. It's a ratings board issue, not a platform holder issue and the entire raison d'être for these organisations in the first place. The problem is that these boards don't want to do anything about loli shit.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
being happy about this stance isn't the same as supporting or liking that content. it's just that a platform holder shouldn't have that much power over the content that gets published on the platform. there are actual organization, acting according to law and objective rules, that decide that. if that content is not ok, they should lobby to change the laws and regulations.
To be fair changing the law takes time, especially when it comes to video games and stuff that governments don't fully understand. Sony are just speeding up the process.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear, because I had to mod my copy of TMS/FE to remove all the censorship bullshit in western version.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If you want to change the regulation then that is what sony are trying to do, they are pointing out to developers and with that also to the rating organization what should not be considered fine, like that linked picture

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was obvious from the beginning. It's a ratings board issue, not a platform holder issue and the entire raison d'être for these organisations in the first place. The problem is that these boards don't want to do anything about loli shit.

Yup, this is a perfectly reasonable stance from Nintendo. They have independent agencies to judge this type of thing and a very strong parental guidance system.

Of course people falsely equate this with being a pedo-enabler(at best) as we can already see in this thread.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe we live in a world where Nintendo won't censor any games while Sony is now the "Think of the children" company, it's like we're in some bizarro world.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to change the regulation then that is what sony are trying to do, they are pointing out to developers and with that also to the rating organization what should not be considered fine, like that linked picture

It's not the platform holder's job. Nor are they "pointing out" - they are requiring developers to modify their games.

The proper way to address these things is through the rating board - aka laws and regulations. If your argument is that the game shouldnt exist with those things (a fair argument) then a lobby of ratings organizations is the right course of action. Not policing other people's games with demands as a platform holder. AO rating is a death-knell for a reason, for example.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, this is a perfectly reasonable stance from Nintendo. They have independent agencies to judge this type of thing and a very strong parental guidance system.

Of course people falsely equate this with being a pedo-enabler(at best) as we can already see in this thread.

Yeah, still the same old shit. My favourite part about this entire discussion is that people are still cheering Sony on for marginally "censoring" those games and basically giving them added legitimacy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair changing the law takes time, especially when it comes to video games and stuff that governments don't fully understand. Sony are just speeding up the process.
i too find the underage stuff gross and i don't think they should be allowed on any platform, but i think action has to be taken from a position higher than one specific platform holder. i don't think anyone should be happy about or celebrate a platform holder enacting their own unspecified rules and regulation (afaik, no one knows exactly what those rules are). yes, no one can object to it when it's used to censor underage stuff, but no one knows where else it may also be applied (and example being the DMC5 censorship).
i'm just not comfortable with the idea of a platform holder applying their own specific rules and regulation (that they don't make public) to censor stuff. yes, sometimes it may be used for a purpose that no one can object to, but being ok with that also makes it ok for them to do it when they shouldn't.
that's exactly what the job of rating boards should be. objectively applying a clear and public list of rules and regulations to all content across the board.

I still can't believe we live in a world where Nintendo won't censor any games while Sony is now the "Think of the children" company, it's like we're in some bizarro world.
The really weird part is that Sony isn't even really doing this out of the consideration for children, given that they've doubled down on appealing to adult audiences almost exclusively this past gen, and for as much as some folks are wanting to praise Sony for taking a stand against these kinds of games, they sure don't mind the games being on their system at all. Sony's rules are about the most half-assed guidelines out there, as they do nothing to actually fix the problem and wind up pissing everyone off instead.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick reminder of the type of 'content' you are supporting if you are happy with this stance:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ed-ps4-version-censored.110987/#post-19751954
I dont think thats fair to anyone. Youre taking a specific example and then pretending like thats the only type of thing that gets rejected or censored. Nintendo was the same company that rejected the binding of Isaac for not being family friendly enough. Ultimately what this policy means is that we will presented with the raw games and most people should be intelligent enough to figure out what they are willing to support.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's not the platform holder's job. Nor are they "pointing out" - they are requiring developers to modify their games.

The proper way to address these things is through the rating board - aka laws and regulations. If your argument is that the game shouldnt exist with those things (a fair argument) then a lobby of ratings organizations is the right course of action. Not policing other people's games with demands as a platform holder. AO rating is a death-knell for a reason, for example.
But nintendo is also clearly not doing anything about this type of trash that is linked in the picture that began this discussion, which means they are not even trying to turn to change the regulation.
This purposeful ignorance to the gross content on their platform is far worse

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, still the same old shit. My favourite part about this entire discussion is that people are still cheering Sony on for marginally "censoring" those games and basically giving them added legitimacy.

Yes, it would be one thing if Sony were actually hard line about it. It's not like they outright banned Senran Kagura.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
But nintendo is also clearly not doing anything about this type of trash that is linked in the picture that began this discussion, which means they are not even trying to turn to change the regulation.
This purposeful ignorance to the gross content on their platform is far worse

It's not Nintendo's job to change what the ratings board deems appropriate. It's their job to follow the rules set out by said organization, just like every other publisher.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nintendo of America censor stuff from Fire Emblem somewhat recently? Its not like they don't self censor.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's not Nintendo's job to change what the ratings board deems appropriate. It's their job to follow the rules set out by said organization, just like every other publisher.
So you are okay with nintendo letting games with naked children in a bath on their platform? Dont you feel any sort of disgust towards this kind of content?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
As it should be. That's is literally the rating boards function. There is no need to censor further than what's needed by the rating board and it's a shame Sony feels the need to do more.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
So you are okay with nintendo letting games with naked children in a bath on their platform? Dont you feel any sort of disgust towards this kind of content?

I personally find it reprehensible, which is why it's not on my switch. But the same game is on a PlayStation platform, with a couple light flashes. Are you ok with that?

Again, this is something for rating agencies to police, not platform holders.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
The really weird part is that Sony isn't even really doing this out of the consideration for children, given that they've doubled down on appealing to adult audiences almost exclusively this past gen, and for as much as some folks are wanting to praise Sony for taking a stand against these kinds of games, they sure don't mind the games being on their system at all. Sony's rules are about the most half-assed guidelines out there, as they do nothing to actually fix the problem and wind up pissing everyone off instead.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading a reply from a Sony spokesperson, when asked about the policy and one of their reasons was basically "Please think of the children". I agree with what you said in bold, the fact that they still want the games shows the're not even sincere in there attempts to stop this kind of content and they basically want their cake and eat it too.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Personally while I think Nintendo is free to do what they want when it comes to this topic, all instances of where Sony "censored" a game felt justified.

Loli content in particular can fuck right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.