• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I recently picked up a DS Lite. The top cart slot was finicky about reading games so I put a spritz of contact cleaner on. Well, the whole spray went right into the bottom LCD. I left the console in a bag of silica gel for two days and the moisture looks like it's completely gone, but a handful of the backlights are now shining extra brightly. There are four or five on the right edge and a couple on the left and top. This isn't the end of the world but I'd like to fix it if I can. These are not dead pixels, and they are mostly visible on white or other pale, bright colors.

97e15deb-3aaf-4a02-bpmfpl.jpeg

You can see the bright spots in the image above. These may be permanent victims of moisture damage but hey, maybe not. Anyone know what is causing them?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The n3DS uses KTR-003. Supposedly you could use another systems battery and add padding into the compartment to make it work but I would rather just have a proper battery instead. There are a few aftermarket batteries out there as well but the quality might be questionable.
Righto, thanks. Someone did mention a supposedly good aftermarket battery a while back, probably in this thread, but I've forgotten the name.

d-rek

Oct 28, 2017
So getting an Analogue Pocket recently has made me go through my handheld collection and pulled out my New 3DS, battery seems to be in good condition even though I haven't touched it since the pandemic. I did also find some of the face plates and got curious about what they sell for but can't find much on the ambassador/kanji face plates that had to be purchased from Club Nintendo. Any one know what they're worth? Not really planning on selling, just more for curiosity's sake. Have no clue if they are that rare/hard to find or what.

Also, regret buying so many games used with no cases. Both for DS and 3DS, just loose games stored in a cigar box or the Club Nintendo game holder thing.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I can't find a better thread to post this in, has anyone experienced the 3ds blue light/black screen issue before? I got a purple n3ds xl that I've had since 2018 and has had this problem for atleast 2-3 years and I finally got around to fixing it last night and i couldn't get it to boot after removing the camera cable from one end. Wondering if I should take the top portion apart as well and remove it completely and see if it's that or is there another common fault that I've missed?

I can't find a better thread to post this in, has anyone experienced the 3ds blue light/black screen issue before? I got a purple n3ds xl that I've had since 2018 and has had this problem for atleast 2-3 years and I finally got around to fixing it last night and i couldn't get it to boot after removing the camera cable from one end. Wondering if I should take the top portion apart as well and remove it completely and see if it's that or is there another common fault that I've missed?

I know this issue all too well.

Essentially, if the 3DS detects anything wrong with the wiring, whatsoever, it will refuse to boot.

It can be as simple as a loose ribbon cable somewhere on the board - or as bad as having to entirely replace the ZIF connector.

I'm a little unclear as to what specific repair you made to the 3DS here.

Did you just remove the camera cable, not the camera itself?
And did the ZIF connector (the connector where the ribbon cable plugs into) have a hinge? Or didn't it really move at all?

Also important: did you unplug any other ribbon cables at all during the repair?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I know this issue all too well.

Essentially, if the 3DS detects anything wrong with the wiring, whatsoever, it will refuse to boot.

It can be as simple as a loose ribbon cable somewhere on the board - or as bad as having to entirely replace the ZIF connector.

I'm a little unclear as to what specific repair you made to the 3DS here.

Did you just remove the camera cable, not the camera itself?
And did the ZIF connector (the connector where the ribbon cable plugs into) have a hinge? Or didn't it really move at all?

Also important: did you unplug any other ribbon cables at all during the repair?
I only unplugged the camera one and the back panel connectors to the motherboard to get access to everything and put those back on fine. I only detached the camera cable on the motherboard side, the hinge was working as it should, and was wondering if I go through taking the top portion apart and remove the cable completely and seeing if that fixes it?

I only unplugged the camera one and the back panel connectors to the motherboard to get access to everything and put those back on fine. I only detached the camera cable on the motherboard side, the hinge was working as it should, and was wondering if I go through taking the top portion apart and remove the cable completely and seeing if that fixes it?

Taking apart the top is something I haven't even dared to do - it looks like a very difficult procedure and the likelihood of messing up a ZIF connector is high - and then you have an even worse repair.
If you don't think you'd want a professional repair, I guess you could try it. But at this point, if you want to salvage the 3DS and all it's save data/profile, I'd honestly just find a professional to fix it.

This is a bit odd as I wouldn't suspect the camera connector could stop it from booting - a broken ribbon cable in circuit could, though.
I might go through again and double check every ribbon cable on the back part of the motherboard, if you are able.
Check that ALL the ribbon cables are well seated in the connectors, not upside down, creased, etc. The display connectors have a tendency to come loose, too.
And make sure everything gets nicely put back into place on that back panel when reassembling.

If that fails, again, I'd strongly advise to find a professional who can repair it, but it will not be cheap - probably about the cost of another 3DS.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Taking apart the top is something I haven't even dared to do - it looks like a very difficult procedure and the likelihood of messing up a ZIF connector is high - and then you have an even worse repair.
If you don't think you'd want a professional repair, I guess you could try it. But at this point, if you want to salvage the 3DS and all it's save data/profile, I'd honestly just find a professional to fix it.

This is a bit odd as I wouldn't suspect the camera connector could stop it from booting - a broken ribbon cable in circuit could, though.
I might go through again and double check every ribbon cable on the back part of the motherboard, if you are able.
Check that ALL the ribbon cables are well seated in the connectors, not upside down, creased, etc. The display connectors have a tendency to come loose, too.
And make sure everything gets nicely put back into place on that back panel when reassembling.

If that fails, again, I'd strongly advise to find a professional who can repair it, but it will not be cheap - probably about the cost of another 3DS.
I basically came to the same conclusion for better or worse lol. I bought a 2ds xl and am just gonna do my best to avoid any issues with that one.