• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The DS isn't that old to be honest. It's successor is still being sold for example. Seems to me that the process of systems having their prices bottom out are quickening and the amount of time that you have to build a cheap library on dead consoles is much smaller than it once was.
Yes it is. I was in 6th grade when the DS launched. I'm now in grad school.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Did you mean ebay ? :P

If so, I'll check it in the future.

Lol, yea I meant eBay.

Where are you from and is it normally that expensive to ship items?

Yes it is. I was in 6th grade when the DS launched. I'm now in grad school.

In terms of when systems traditionally start increasing in price the DS isnt that old. The time from the DS dropping to start increasing has been a shorter distance than what we had previously seen with other systems.

For example, the Xbox 360 launched just one year after the DS and it's as cheap as ever.

9I6JHWg.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, yea I meant eBay.

Where are you from and is it normally that expensive to ship items?

In terms of when systems traditionally start increasing in price the DS isnt that old. The time from the DS dropping to start increasing has been a shorter distance than what we had previously seen with other systems.

For example, the Xbox 360 launched just one year after the DS and it's as cheap as ever.

9I6JHWg.jpg
Nintendo stuff trends higher in general though, and even OG Xbox is cheap.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could really see myself still playing the 2DSXL for years to come as the number of great titles that I have not played for it is quite massive

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo stuff trends higher in general though, and even OG Xbox is cheap.

When the NES started increasing several generations had passed. Do you really think that the same amount of time passed with the DS prices bottomed out as NES? If so, we will have to agree to disagree as I recall NES games being cheap for multiple generations before it really started to see price increases.

The amount of time systems were bottomed out and available for cheap has steadily decreased since the NES boom of the mid 2000's. Now you get maybe a generation before it starts and even then the prices on a lot of systems never bottom out as much as they once did.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When the NES started increasing several generations had passed. Do you really think that the same amount of time passed with the DS prices bottomed out as NES? If so, we will have to agree to disagree as I recall NES games being cheap for multiple generations before it really started to see price increases.

The amount of time systems were bottomed out and available for cheap has steadily decreased since the NES boom of the mid 2000's. Now you get maybe a generation before it starts and even then the prices on a lot of systems never bottom out as much as they once did.
Agreed. The people that drove the price up on older games didn't stop collecting so newer games can never hit those old lows.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I never said any of that, I'm not sure why you are pulling out comparisons to NES. Nothing will ever be like that again, because video game collecting has only gotten bigger.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The people that drove the price up on older games didn't stop collecting so newer games can never hit those old lows.

Exactly! In the race to "get in before prices increase" it's caused systems that are recently retired to start increasing.

I never said any of that, I'm not sure why you are pulling out comparisons to NES. Nothing will ever be like that again, because video game collecting has only gotten bigger.

My original response was that the DS wasn't that old and alluded to it being quick for a price increase to start based on past systems. You disagreed.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

I think that's mostly because collecting has only really become a 'thing' in the last 15 years, in terms of it becoming a craze, so the NES was already about 18 years old by then. But when you think about it, gamecube and N64 are trending upwards and those are systems 17 and 22 years old respectively. That amount of time is basically the period between being an adolescent gamer and when they've graduated from school and out in the workforce with disposable income. I know for me, my collecting started around 2003-2005 and I was in my mid/late 20's.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly! In the race to "get in before prices increase" it's caused systems that are recently retired to start increasing.

My original response was that the DS wasn't that old and alluded to it being quick for a price increase to start based on past systems. You disagreed.
Sure but your comparison for past systems is NES, which was cheap back when video game collecting wasn't really a thing. It's unlikely that any console library will have the trajectory NES had, because collecting is common practice. And the reason why DS prices are slowly rising and PSP is still relatively cheap comparatively is because Nintendo stuff always rises in price faster than Playstation or Xbox. Gamecube stuff is more expensive than PS2 or OG Xbox. Not including stuff like Saturn because US Saturn stuff is so rare that the prices rose due to scarcity as much as they did due to quality or demand.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's mostly because collecting has only really become a 'thing' in the last 15 years, in terms of it becoming a craze, so the NES was already about 18 years old by then. But when you think about it, gamecube and N64 are trending upwards and those are systems 17 and 22 years old respectively. That amount of time is basically the period between being an adolescent gamer and when they've graduated from school and out in the workforce with disposable income. I know for me, my collecting started around 2003-2005 and I was in my mid/late 20's.

Yea, NES was the first and had the longest period of time where prices were at their bottom level. The N64, and even GC have already been through a couple of cycles of price increases already going back a few years already.

Overall there isn't as much time where games are at their cheapest. System prices used to go up only once those who grew up with it were old enough to have nostalgia for it. I think that's not the only thing driving the price increases now. There are a large number of collectors I speak with that are actively trying to be ahead of the price trends. It's something I've realized I do myself. If I'm interested in collecting for a system I try to buy the games I know I want before the prices have increased. This is something that wasn't originally an issue in collecting since it was a new 'thing' as you mention.

I think another thing of note is that prices don't ever drop as low as they once did for those first few systems. At least when it comes to Nintendo. I think this is another trend leading the time systems are at their lowest is decreasing. Collectors know that most Nintendo systems will be sought after at some point in the future. This means there are less gamers that are willing to sell their last gen Nintendo games and the ones that do aren't giving them away for pennies on the dollar like we saw for NES/SNES

Sure but your comparison for past systems is NES, which was cheap back when video game collecting wasn't really a thing. It's unlikely that any console library will have the trajectory NES had, because collecting is common practice. And the reason why DS prices are slowly rising and PSP is still relatively cheap comparatively is because Nintendo stuff always rises in price faster than Playstation or Xbox. Gamecube stuff is more expensive than PS2 or OG Xbox. Not including stuff like Saturn because US Saturn stuff is so rare that the prices rose due to scarcity as much as they did due to quality or demand.

Sure, the NES was the first and different, but that's my point. Each system that has followed as had a quicker cycle of it's end of life, price collapse, and then the start of prices increasing.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, NES was the first and had the longest period of time where prices were at their bottom level. The N64, and even GC have already been through a couple of cycles of price increases already going back a few years already.

Overall there isn't as much time where games are at their cheapest. System prices used to go up only once those who grew up with it were old enough to have nostalgia for it. I think that's not the only thing driving the price increases now. There are a large number of collectors I speak with that are actively trying to be ahead of the price trends. It's something I've realized I do myself. If I'm interested in collecting for a system I try to buy the games I know I want before the prices have increased. This is something that wasn't originally an issue in collecting since it was a new 'thing' as you mention.

I think another thing of note is that prices don't ever drop as low as they once did for those first few systems. At least when it comes to Nintendo. I think this is another trend leading the time systems are at their lowest is decreasing. Collectors know that most Nintendo systems will be sought after at some point in the future. This means there are less gamers that are willing to sell their last gen Nintendo games and the ones that do aren't giving them away for pennies on the dollar like we saw for NES/SNES

Sure, the NES was the first and different, but that's my point. Each system that has followed as had a quicker cycle of it's end of life, price collapse, and then the start of prices increasing.
Yeah, what I was mainly taking issue with was your statement of "it hasn't been a long time since DS". You were comparing that to past consoles in terms of collecting prices rising, I was talking about actual, real world time and the age of people who would be interested in collecting. People who were kids when DS came out are now in their mid-20's, which is when people start collecting. So it makes sense prices would rise.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

That would stand to reason now because there's been enough time in the collecting 'craze' so to speak to establish patterns. We generally nowadays have a good idea of what systems, or developer, or even genres, produce content that is 'likely' to carry some collecting value down the line. As you said, we basically know now that anything Nintendo on it( especially their main mascot titles) retain a certain market value so you know to hold onto it if you have any interest in 'Nintendo' collecting( which I personally do). 20 years ago, people were dumping their NES and SNES collections for next to nothing. I did stupid shit like trading in my entire SNES collection for pennies to gamestop, only for the SNES retro craze to kick in and then it became OH SHIT I GOTTA GET MY GAMES BACK AT ANY COST!!!!'

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
How are the Lost in Blue games? I've had them on my list to pick up and recently grabbed the 1st and 3rd one but havent had a chance to play them. Still have to get the second though.

Yeah, what I was mainly taking issue with was your statement of "it hasn't been a long time since DS". You were comparing that to past consoles in terms of collecting prices rising, I was talking about actual, real world time and the age of people who would be interested in collecting. People who were kids when DS came out are now in their mid-20's, which is when people start collecting. So it makes sense prices would rise.

Yea, I was speaking in terms of prices related to historical patterns. Yea, in just standard time, it's been almost 15 years since launch.

That would stand to reason now because there's been enough time in the collecting 'craze' so to speak to establish patterns. We generally nowadays have a good idea of what systems, or developer, or even genres, produce content that is 'likely' to carry some collecting value down the line. As you said, we basically know now that anything Nintendo on it( especially their main mascot titles) retain a certain market value so you know to hold onto it if you have any interest in 'Nintendo' collecting( which I personally do). 20 years ago, people were dumping their NES and SNES collections for next to nothing. I did stupid shit like trading in my entire SNES collection for pennies to gamestop, only for the SNES retro craze to kick in and then it became OH SHIT I GOTTA GET MY GAMES BACK AT ANY COST!!!!'

Exactly! Unfortunately a lot of us lost/sold our original games from the NES/SNES era.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Exactly! Unfortunately a lot of us lost/sold our original games from the NES/SNES era.

That was the first time I actually recall having serious buyers remorse, when I traded away my SNES stuff. I mean, the next day I actually had a sicky 'what have I done?!' feeling in my stomach. I don't recall what led to my decision to sell, probably just wanted money because Ps2 was all the rage at that point....but man.... I felt like shit right afterwards. Fortunately, I was able to find most of what I had before ( and a few I didn't) before the prices went batshit insane.

Deleted member 59

I think I'm going to buy a DS this weekend, but not sure what route to go.

I can get a DS lite for £25 which gives me GBA backwards compatability and DS games will look as intended on the screen, no stretching etc.

Or I can get a 2DS XL for £90 which gives me 3DS software, DS backwards compatibility, with either stretched visuals or the other square box mode.

I'm leaning towards the former right now. GBA and DS library, combined, are immense. I know there's loads of good 3DS titles out there, but i can probably wait and prices will probably drop some going forward.

First game i want to buy is Zelda: Spirit Tracks. I only played about 1/3 of the way through it before stopping and then i never went back. One of the only Zelda titles i haven't finished.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Just my two cents on the price debate. Most of my 3DS LE systems (new) are worth more then when I bought them yet of my few Vita LE most are worth about the same from when I bought them with the exception of 1 (there are only 2 vita LE that are actually rare and worth something).

On that note, now is a great time to be buying up late 3DS titles unless you want another Solatorobo. =)

Also Luigi Mansion on 3DS is great, minus the final boss, Buy it !!

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Just my two cents on the price debate. Most of my 3DS LE systems (new) are worth more then when I bought them yet of my few Vita LE most are worth about the same from when I bought them with the exception of 1 (there are only 2 vita LE that are actually rare and worth something).

On that note, now is a great time to be buying up late 3DS titles unless you want another Solatorobo. =)

Yea, I think some late 3DS games are gonna be overlooked.

As for DS, it's still a good time to buy a lot of the titles. It's just the beginning to increase and overall most titles are still reasonable, for now.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yea, I think some late 3DS games are gonna be overlooked
Yeah, I think one right now is latest jake hunter game. Even with 3ds fans i've had to remind them that it came out.

As for DS, it's still a good time to buy a lot of the titles. It's just the beginning to increase and overall most titles are still reasonable, for now.
It's starting to get late on quite a few ds titles. Many titles are getting very pricey. Yet at the same time ds is a bit of a quirky system and there are many unknown gems still. I'd love to oneday do a deep dive on some jp games that aren't well known in the west (like namco's Kaiju mh/pso clone).

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think one right now is latest jake hunter game. Even with 3ds fans i've had to remind them that it came out.

It's starting to get late on quite a few ds titles. Many titles are getting very pricey. Yet at the same time ds is a bit of a quirky system and there are many unknown gems still. I'd love to oneday do a deep dive on some jp games that aren't well known in the west (like namco's Kaiju mh/pso clone).

Yea, there are some front runners that are starting to get pricey, but I think it's just the beginning and a lot of titles that are still cheap will eventually be discovered and increase alongside the ones that have already become pricey.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

I expect the PS Vita software to bump up, especially RPGs, Japanese titles and limited run editions. I haven't checked its pricing trends recently but last time I did the aforementioned were already a fair penny. I don't expect the prices to ever bottom out because there aren't tons of copies out in the wild( relatively small install base leading to low print runs of many titles).

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The only "pricey" game I see on DS is Infinite Space.

Well, no retail release in Europe so... Same fate as The Alliance Alive.

There are a bunch of games more valuable than Infinite Space. Infinite Space received a reprint a year or so ago and has dropped some, while other titles have continued to rise. A couple examples are Solatorobo, Dokapon Journey, and Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ off the tops of my head. All of those are triple digits for a complete copy now and I know there are several others.

Plenty more are creeping up to that $100 Mark and will likely be there very soon.

Edit: To be clear, I'm speaking in terms of North American versions and pricing.

Deleted member 59

Get that and a DSi XL :P

I opted for a Turquoise/Black 2DS XL instead and grabbed Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Pokémon Sun instead. Still got access to the DS back catalogue, and might grab an AGS-101 SP instead for GBA games as and when.

2hrzlfm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I opted for a Turquoise/Black 2DS XL instead and grabbed Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Pokémon Sun instead. Still got access to the DS back catalogue, and might grab an AGS-101 SP instead for GBA games as and when.

2hrzlfm.jpg

I'd say that's the best option unless you want GBA games on it, and even then it may better to get a GBA separately.

The entire DS and 3DS catalog being available is tremendous and at a very affordable price mostly.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My DS Lite loses power a couple of minutes in, even when connected by means of the wall adapter. Is this a battery issue? Even when on mains it starts on green, becomes red after a very short while, then turns off. How do I fix this? If it's a battery issue, are there legit batteries for sale somewhere (if that's not an option I'll just have to purchase a complete DS Lite from my local game store...)?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Honestly, you made the right choice and not buy a NDSLite for GBA backwards comp because the DSLite screens have horrendous ghosting. They have literally the worst screens in any system I own. I just tried it on Castlevania:CoM and it plays much, much better on an AGS101.

Nintendo DS games look better (wonderful even) on a DSiXL than a 3DS. But your choice isn't bad either and saves money.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I loved the DS at the time with its large variety of games. I think I collected some real gems over the years. Never got into the 3DS as much.

Dimitris81

Oct 26, 2017
Is 60€ a lot for a boxed Ds Lite used but in a perfect condition? It is like new, doesn't get better than this and the box includes everything.

Deleted member 59

Absolutely loving A Link Between Worlds. To think when this was first announced i had absolutely zero interest and thought it looked ugly and was lazy for reusing ALTTP map. It's one of the best handheld Zelda's I've played, I'm actually liking it more than BoTW!!

Regarding DS and 3DS titles, is Kirby: Planet Robobot the best Kirby title available?

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Hi. Thought I'd drop by and ask my question directly to the 3DS pros in here.

I bought a 3DS XL when they came out. I played a couple of games over the years since then (about a dozen I'd say), always using the 3D effet. I always liked the 3D effect and I still do. I believe it's one of the differentiating factor of the 3DS for me. I've been playing Luigi's Mansion recently and it got me thinking of going back and buying a couple of games I'd like to play down the road. For example, SMT IV, Tomodachi Life, those Sega 3D Classic games, etc.

With that, I remembered that the New 3DS supposedly had a better 3D effect. I did some research on old articles and forum comments and mainly it seems that the 3D is more stable, but nothing better beyond that.

And here I am, wondering if I should upgrade to New 3DS, mainly (solely) for the more stable 3D effect. Is this worth it? Is the difference night and day? Clearly I'm trying to justify a purchase which I don't need hehe. I think I could find a used one for 120-150 locally.

Thanks

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, you made the right choice and not buy a NDSLite for GBA backwards comp because the DSLite screens have horrendous ghosting. They have literally the worst screens in any system I own. I just tried it on Castlevania:CoM and it plays much, much better on an AGS101.

Nintendo DS games look better (wonderful even) on a DSiXL than a 3DS. But your choice isn't bad either and saves money.
DSL also has a horrendous dpad that is unusable for isometric games.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely loving A Link Between Worlds. To think when this was first announced i had absolutely zero interest and thought it looked ugly and was lazy for reusing ALTTP map. It's one of the best handheld Zelda's I've played, I'm actually liking it more than BoTW!!

Regarding DS and 3DS titles, is Kirby: Planet Robobot the best Kirby title available?
Honestly, I'd recommend Kirby's Adventure 3D Classics on the eShop over Robobot or Triple Deluxe, as someone who owns all three. It's so good!

Deleted member 59

Cheers guys. I think I've settled on Planet Robobot first tbf, just want that mecha Kirby!

Zelda ALBW is continuing to blow me away. 3 Dungeons left in Lorule. So damn good.

Oct 31, 2017
Just got Last Window :)

How's the rumble pak in general and with that game ? :P

Is 60€ a lot for a boxed Ds Lite used but in a perfect condition? It is like new, doesn't get better than this and the box includes everything.

Sounds good to me if it's indeed complete and in perfect condition but check the complete listings on ebay just to be sure.

Deleted member 59

I finished A Link Between Worlds yesterday. Quite simply one of my favourite gaming experiences ever, which considering i had zero interest in this game when it was first announced and thought was ugly and just a lazy retread of ALTTP, is quite an achievement.

Now on to Pokémon Sun, my first *new* Pokémon game since Diamond.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I finished A Link Between Worlds yesterday. Quite simply one of my favourite gaming experiences ever, which considering i had zero interest in this game when it was first announced and thought was ugly and just a lazy retread of ALTTP, is quite an achievement.

Now on to Pokémon Sun, my first *new* Pokémon game since Diamond.
One of us!

LBW is the GOAT Zelda game, free.

KodiakOak

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to pick up a n3DS XL cheap recently and for some reason I had always assumed the graphics were really bad on the 3DS but I have been more than impressed. Picked up a few games like Pokemon US, Zelda OOT and Mario Kart 7 and these games look great!

Is there an OT for 3DS? I have some questions about some issues with the circle pad being stiff and a floppy screen that I'd love to find some answers to!

Deleted member 59

Added Luigis Mansion 2, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros to my small collection.

Also managed to unlink my NNID from my old, sold 3DS and get it on my new one and now I can re-download Etrian Odyssey and Phoenix Wright 5!

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Got a question about the charging cradle for New 3DS: I see that the UK versions are really cheap to get right now. Is there any difference between the UK cradles and what was offered on Nintendo's US site? Like, if I were to plug in my US AC adapter, my New 3DS won't get fried when I use the UK cradle, will it?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Got a question about the charging cradle for New 3DS: I see that the UK versions are really cheap to get right now. Is there any difference between the UK cradles and what was offered on Nintendo's US site? Like, if I were to plug in my US AC adapter, my New 3DS won't get fried when I use the UK cradle, will it?
I'm assuming it's exactly like the n3DSXL cradle where there's nothing inside it except the pins that connect the handheld to the power pins on the AC adapter. It would make sense because there's no reason for there to be anything else inside it. BTW where are you getting the cheap cradle from?

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
I'm assuming it's exactly like the n3DSXL cradle where there's nothing inside it except the pins that connect the handheld to the power pins on the AC adapter. It would make sense because there's no reason for there to be anything else inside it. BTW where are you getting the cheap cradle from?

There's a seller on eBay that is selling em under $10 shipped.