• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
what are your "great white whales" of DS/3DS collecting, the games that you keep hunting for even though the prices keep spiralling upwards?

for me
My World My Way (DS) - an RPG aimed at girls, published by Atlus in NA - must have been a very limited printing
The Dark Spire (DS) - throwback dungeon crawler, published by Atlus (hmm detecting a pattern here!)
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (DS) - another one I never got around to at the time, damn have you seen the prices lately?
Radiant Historia UK copy (3DS) - I've been buying all the late period 3DS RPGs as they've been coming out but for some reason I missed this one, probably going to give in and buy a French or German copy as they are much cheaper & still available

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Earlier this year I got Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6 and 9 sealed for 40€ each, which is basically their original price. Pretty good. 4 & 5 are even the US versions which is even better due to nicer boxes/cover texts.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
No? I just have never bought a Zelda game

Interesting to find a unicorn in the wild. Not the never buying Zelda games but someone who has been deep into video gaming, participates in a video game forum, but doesn't know the reputation of OoT. One in a million I'd say.

To answer your original question then, yes, it is considered good. Frequently on the top of "greatest games of all time" lists. The 3ds port is good as well and I don't believe there are as many issues with it's port as the one for Majora's Mask. OoT is a great example of the "classic 3d" Zelda as it is pretty much what set the standards for them. Link Between Worlds is a great example of the "classic 2d" Zelda. Would recommend both of them if you are looking to play a good cross section of Zelda.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Interesting to find a unicorn in the wild. Not the never buying Zelda games but someone who has been deep into video gaming, participates in a video game forum, but doesn't know the reputation of OoT. One in a million I'd say.

To answer your original question then, yes, it is considered good. Frequently on the top of "greatest games of all time" lists. The 3ds port is good as well and I don't believe there are as many issues with it's port as the one for Majora's Mask. OoT is a great example of the "classic 3d" Zelda as it is pretty much what set the standards for them. Link Between Worlds is a great example of the "classic 2d" Zelda. Would recommend both of them if you are looking to play a good cross section of Zelda.
Does it play well on 2ds

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Good timing on this being a featured community, I was literally thinking 10 seconds ago how the DS and the Switch both excelled in something that's almost never mentioned in reviews, yet is really the "secret sauce" that help make these systems great--the short load times. It's that snappiness from turning on the system to playing the game that brings you closer to the system and the games, yet remains almost invisible until you use a system that has significant load times. I think it's key to a killer handheld, and the DS was great in this respect.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I never owned a DS but I've recently got back into my GBA micro (which I take everywhere with me). Just picked up two DS Lites on UK Gumtree for £10! One pink in near perfect condition, one mint green with a cracked and floppy hinge but otherwise fine. I've seen hinge repair videos on youtube and I see you can get kits. How complex would you estimate the repair to be? Both screens are vibrant and make the GBA games I have look fab.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I never owned a DS but I've recently got back into my GBA micro (which I take everywhere with me). Just picked up two DS Lites on UK Gumtree for £10! One pink in near perfect condition, one mint green with a cracked and floppy hinge but otherwise fine. I've seen hinge repair videos on youtube and I see you can get kits. How complex would you estimate the repair to be? Both screens are vibrant and make the GBA games I have look fab.
Nice!

Nov 8, 2017
I totally missed the entire 3DS generation and the latter part of the DS, so I finally decided to jump in. Paying the price of waiting on a few of these but I just ordered:

N3DSXL

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Dragon Quest VIII
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Metroid: Samus Returns
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
Super Mario 3D Land

Ghost Trick

Some of these were nice and cheap but I ended up paying more than I wanted for others. I guess the DS and 3DS will hold value better being less easily emulated so I don't feel as bad but damn I guess collecting this late in the systems lifecycle isn't a great idea if you want to do it cheaply! Especially for Nintendo games.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Ok. Pictochat with a four year old is amazing.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I totally missed the entire 3DS generation and the latter part of the DS, so I finally decided to jump in. Paying the price of waiting on a few of these but I just ordered:

N3DSXL

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Dragon Quest VIII
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Metroid: Samus Returns
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
Super Mario 3D Land

You are gonna have so much fun!!!!

Nov 8, 2017
Damn that is expensive. To think i felt odd paying $48 for DQVIII. Some of these games are ridiculously expensive for a handheld, even a limited print that seems excessive.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I recently re-bought the 3rd DS Layton game to replay on my N3dsXL. I sold my original copy years ago for store credit towards the original 3ds. It turns out I bought the PAL version titled Lost Future instead of the NA version titled Unwo

The_jMag

Nov 1, 2017
I just bought this bad boy paired with OoT earlier this week although I had a purple 3DS 4 years ago, had to sell because money was tight back then. I could have got a n3ds or n2ds but I just love the look of it. Has that old lcd game look and charm lol. Looks better in person and really comfortable too.

GUEST_12ac025d-b231-4c6a-b420-789da8ec885d

I do not look forward to rebuying my library of games though but oh well. Just bought m2's Outrun port and Star Fox 64 3D.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, is DS Lite's GBA slot wearing out a thing?

Was starting to round up some games recently and I thought I got scammed by multiple people into buying non-working cartridges, but they were mixed up with mostly working ones, and then I somehow managed to boot one of the "bad" ones once...

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Was starting to round up some games recently and I thought I got scammed by multiple people into buying non-working cartridges, but they were mixed up with mostly working ones, and then I somehow managed to boot one of the "bad" ones once...

...have you tried cleaning the cartridges? I've only very rarely had cartridges just flat out not work after scrubbing a lot and re-inserting them over and over like a classic NES game. You could just try them on other consoles with a GBA slot and see if they're as consistent?

Like, even if it's "non-working", I'm not surprised at all to hear it might boot once in a blue moon, that's kind of how cartridge games are.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019

I've had a few issues with the main card slot not reading older dsi carts.

OP
OP
Sagadego17

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Think that's my collection pretty much complete. Just need to track down an Australian copy of Soul Hackers for a decent price, and I might buy Star Fox 64 3D for the sake of it.
The Switch version of Monster Hunter Generations is better in every way yes?

mwJrrl2.jpg

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
...have you tried cleaning the cartridges? I've only very rarely had cartridges just flat out not work after scrubbing a lot and re-inserting them over and over like a classic NES game. You could just try them on other consoles with a GBA slot and see if they're as consistent?

Like, even if it's "non-working", I'm not surprised at all to hear it might boot once in a blue moon, that's kind of how cartridge games are.
The problem is, obviously, that's my one and only GBA slot. May end up buying a cheap AGS-001 if this continues, though.

Not going to buy from your link since that would be importing, but that sounds like it could work. Does it come with a manual?

Sep 10, 2018
i bought the new 2ds xl but i can't connect it to internet , i tried to change the pass in wep but in test it says ok but then there isn't internet .

Nov 8, 2017
Picked up Kirby canvas curse DS today. Love the control scheme!

I wasn't and am still not a huge fan of the DS line because the two screens didn't do much for me and the touch screen was gimmicky and that none of that was necessary, just make normal games Nintendo! But Canvas Curse is one of the few games that changed my mind and I'm glad they went the route they did, fantastic game.

m.i.s.

Oct 30, 2017
England, UK
Still playing this in 2019...oddly compelling. Probably all that nostalgia is to blame [!].

Btw, free catches reduced to three daily and five free practice catches which yields dummy badges and one or two extra catches on the real thing if you're lucky.

Nintendo_BadgeArcadeImgeng.jpg