• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I've been back in to DS for the first time in years in 2019. Played and finished Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Dragon Quest IX. Working my way through Dragon Quest VIII right now. Great little system, love playing it on breaks at work.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
anyone know if there's a list of EU games that have releases with the thinner black cases? i figured with nintendo collectors being pretty obsessive about collecting that there might be a list of this stuff but i can't really seem to find anything on google other than people generally asking why cases are different or stores selling empty cases

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
anyone know if there's a list of EU games that have releases with the thinner black cases? i figured with nintendo collectors being pretty obsessive about collecting that there might be a list of this stuff but i can't really seem to find anything on google other than people generally asking why cases are different or stores selling empty cases
Are there? I mean I don't know which cases were used in Australia, but other than that are there any other slim PAL games?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Are there? I mean I don't know which cases were used in Australia, but other than that are there any other slim PAL games?
it's funny that australia comes up because someone was saying that nintendo published their games in the black cases there but third party generally reused their EU sized cases, in the uk i think some later reprints use the black cases because my copies of 42 All Time Classics, Tetris DS, and New Super Mario Bros all have the black cases which when i originally bought them 12-13 years ago all had the thicker clear cases

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea that the slimmer black cases saw release in Europe. I hated the fat EU cases so I'd always import from the US.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey (3)DS fanatics! I have a pretty substantial collection too, and I've started looking more into imports now that my 3DS is region-free.

I'm looking for games I can play with no Japanese knowledge, so music games are a pretty good bet. I already have Dragon Quest Theathrythm, and I was now looking into Daigasso! Band Brothers P. Would it be okay with zero japanese knowledge, or should I opt for its predecessor that was localized in Europe as Jam with the Band?

Thanks!

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Hey (3)DS fanatics! I have a pretty substantial collection too, and I've started looking more into imports now that my 3DS is region-free.

I'm looking for games I can play with no Japanese knowledge, so music games are a pretty good bet. I already have Dragon Quest Theathrythm, and I was now looking into Daigasso! Band Brothers P. Would it be okay with zero japanese knowledge, or should I opt for its predecessor that was localized in Europe as Jam with the Band?

Thanks!
Band Brothers menu can be confusing but it's playable without any Japanese knowledge. Out of my Japanese games I'd recommend rythm heaven (physical copy), the sega classic collection (the 3 games box set) and the taiko games

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Thanks!
Personally I'd skip Daigasso but that's just my opinion.

I'd eco grabbing any of the taiko drum master games and the 3 Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives collections (the one the USA got was Vol 2). I'd also add getting Ex Troopers as another locked in japan game worth giving a shot.

m.i.s.

Oct 30, 2017
England, UK

I've never met the Sega Development Team in my life, but to me they look like a bunch of slackers!!

:-D

images

I mean, the menu, HUD etc are all in English. Just get their Administrative Teams [or get Nintendo's Administrative team] to get certification, press releases and get it out there for Western markets.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I've never met the Sega Development Team in my life, but to me they look like a bunch of slackers!!

:-D

images

I mean, the menu, HUD etc are all in English. Just get their Administrative Teams [or get Nintendo's Administrative team] to get certification, press releases and get it out there for Western markets.

While they're at it localize and/or it re-localize the Shining Force series for the west.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I have a 3DS I'm going to sell on eBay. It has all the ambassador games installed as well as a few other regular games. There is no NNID connected to the system. That means the buyer will be able to add all these games to his account/ NNID, correct?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
If the buyer has no 3DS, yes. If they do, the transfer count limit could get in the way, so check that.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
What's the transfer count limit? How many times can I transfer before I can't anymore?
I have an old LL but I want a new one and I would like to transfer over everything to the new one.

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
What's the transfer count limit? How many times can I transfer before I can't anymore?
I have an old LL but I want a new one and I would like to transfer over everything to the new one.
It's limited by frequency, not some arbitrary count. You can transfer once every 7 days.
Also you can't transfer back to old models once you transfer to New ones

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Just bought a 3ds XL and Super Mario Land. It's great! Any other recommendations for the system?

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Finally found Izuna 2 for a decent price after years of looking, gotta love those Atlus print runs :/

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Will do. It's 2019 and I've just been for a walk to Norwich (in the UK) and somehow I managed to make a streetpass buddy!

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I think NoA used to sell the boxes on their online store, but you'd need to find someone in the US to buy them. Or you might find some on eBay.

i tried looking on a website i used to use last night because i remembered those guys used to buy these things in the 100's for custom gba,gbc,gb cases but it seems like any links for those cases are long dead

i think there's a EU based seller in germany that has them but i'm trying to find what they were called because i haven't got the website bookmarked anymore or atleast i can't find it

edit: closest i could find were these NDS cases but they're £17 for 5 cases https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039ZY4NM

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought the Taito paddle controller, and it's much higher in quality than I expected. The spinner itself has some mass to it, and feels good to use.

m.i.s.

Oct 30, 2017
England, UK
Game_And_Watch_Gallery_2_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg
P-140955-SiUsdmPt3I-1.jpg

Picked this up on 3DS eShop, I've just played Parachute and cannot put this game down [seriously, the modern iteration of these games put many NES and Yoshi and DK Country games to shame].

No hand-holding and wonderful, no fuss presentation. You just select from a list and game starts instantly.

Why did no one tell me about this game before?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Got a copy of Mario and Luigi Dream Team recently. Very pleased I could get it for a reasonable price still.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I have 15 or so games left to complete my collection. I'm gonna list them.
Dark Moon
Persona Q2
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Inside Story
Extra Epic Yarn
DQ 8
Miracle Mask
Etrian Odyssey Nexus
Triple Deluxe
Ghost of the Dusk
Unwound Future
Ghost Trick
Room 215
Covenant of the Plume

It's most likely an old article that is still on the site and what someone pulled from a google search. Here is the info on the Nintendo US site.

Cool thanks

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my DS collection. Am I missing anything really good?

Ace Attorney 1-4
Miles Edgeworth 1 and 2
Clubhouse games
Advance Wars DS
All three Castlevanias
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Jungle Climber
Dragon Quest V
EBA
Ghost Trick
Hotel Dusk
All three Kirby games
Bowser's Inside Story
NSMB
Picross DS
Basically all the mainline Pokemons
Explorers of Sky
Pokémon Conquest
Professor Layton
Rhythm Heaven
Sonic Rush
Tetris DS
Both Zeldas
The World Ends with You
Tingle's Rupee Land
Trace Memory

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
What's the community's consensus on Golden Sun Dark Dawn. I played the first two on GBA but missed out on Dark Dawn.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you both for the responses!
But there are four of them:
Canvas Curse
Squeak Squad
Super Star Ultra
Mass Attack
Trueee. Does Mass Attack get... better? lol I was hyped for it because Pikmin is probably my favorite Nintendo series, but I didn't like how slow it was at the start and got rid of it.

If you like Advance Wars you may as well pick up Days of Ruin. Different style and tone then the previous games but still the same great gameplay.
Hmmm I remember liking it less back in the day but I think it is worth a revisit

What's the community's consensus on Golden Sun Dark Dawn. I played the first two on GBA but missed out on Dark Dawn.
I've never played any but from what I hear in the Smash threads it's generally considered a disappointment.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Tried to play my New 3DS again last night, but it seems that the parallax thingy is kinda broken as it flickers and produce heavy ghosting when using 3D. Weird because it seems ok on the main menu but not in-game... :(

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to play my New 3DS again last night, but it seems that the parallax thingy is kinda broken as it flickers and produce heavy ghosting when using 3D. Weird because it seems ok on the main menu but not in-game... :(
Try to clean the sensor in front, it's the small circle near the camera

Morti

Aug 7, 2019

Hello, I am not sure this is an exhaustive list and its mostly refers to the French game with black boxes but here is something :
- 42 jeux Indémodables (FRA)
- Apprends avec Pokémon à la conquête du clavier (FRA)
- English Training : Progressez en Anglais sans stresser (FRA)
- Geometry Wars : Galaxy (EUR)
- Pokémon Mundo Misterioso Equipe de rescate Azul (ESP) 5 Langues
- Programme d'entrainement cérébral du Dr Kawashima: Quel âge a votre cerveau ? (FRA)

Source : https://www.gamopat-forum.com/t65997-dossier-tout-savoir-sur-les-jeux-nintendo-ds-eur-topic-officiel
(Extensive analysis of DS games in french)

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't got it with my right now, so I can't check. However, I'm pretty sure Pokemon Typing Adventure has a thin black case, as I remember being surprised when I opened it.

Dec 2, 2017
Does anyone have a list of games that got a different name when they released in the EU as compared to the US, and vice versa? The only thing that comes to mind is how feel the magic is project rub over here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a list of games that got a different name when they released in the EU as compared to the US, and vice versa? The only thing that comes to mind is how feel the magic is project rub over here.
A few spring to my mind:
Advance wars days of Ruin / dark conflict.
Club house games/ 42 all time classics.
Kirby canvas curse/power paintbrush
All Brain training games
Rhythm heaven/rhythm paradise