• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm considering taking the dust off my 3DS and going back to the DS library. See if there are any gems that I missed out on.

I had a DS back in the day, so I played the biggest games already. Since I was more of a PSP guy, I suspect quite a few games flew under my radar.

I already played all of the well know exclusives like Mario, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, TWEWY, Pokemon, Zelda, GTA, 999, Phoenix Wright, Layton, Chrono Trigger, etc

Anything else worth pursuing? Any genre is welcome.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah absolutely. I recommend playing through Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume. Great SRPG with a story in the same spirit as the first one. Very underrated

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Hotel Dusk and Trace Memories are great adventure/visual novels that are uniquely suited to the system. Generally speaking, I think the beat games on the DS are experimental/boundary pushing games like these.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Hell yeah theres so much:
Trauma Center, Castlevania DS trilogy, Radiant Historia, Cooking Mama series (2 is my fave) Kirby Canvas Curse, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, Ghost Trick, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Style Boutique, Wario Ware: Touched and Rhythm Paradise.
Those are my personal faves.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I still have my DS around for puzzle games. Meteos, Rythym Heaven, Picross, Henry Hatsworth, stuff like that. Definitely worth checking those out if you haven't.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good thread.

What's the name of the games from that "999" series? And which ones are for DS?

Nov 8, 2017
If OP has an iOS or Android, would there be any reason to get the DS ver over those? I only played Ghost Trick on iOS and it was great, regardless, but I don't know any version differences.

I don't know the current status but there was a period where one or both of the phone ports stopped working due to os updates or something. I hope it's fixed but no, there's no reason for ds version specifically except if you want to experience it in its original form.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword is pretty fun. You basically hack and slash with your stylus.

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence is a great port of the PS1 original.

Elite Beat Agents! So much fun and it has a lot of heart.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey 3 and Radiant Historia are Atlus' best on the system.

I bought a brand new RH DS copy the past week just because there is still stock in my local Amazon store, I don't have interest to buy the 3DS version hehe. Wish have the same luck with EOIII, but a used copy will be fine when I get the money to get it.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I'll take this opportunity to recommend one of the most overlooked and underrated games on a Nintendo platform:

Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings. Beautiful and charming tactical RPG/RTS.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
The DS has an amazing library, some are on 3DS (like SMT Strange Journey), but I'd suggest Infinite Space, Dark Spire, Knights in the Nightmare. There are some really unique games that you don't really see as often these days.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There's Picross 3D, the fan-translation of Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (one of the best Fire Emblem games ever), Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (first game from the Bravely team basically, and their best one imo) and Sonic Rush Adventure to start. Also all of the Castlevanias, but especially Order of Ecclesia.

Nostalgia is also pretty cool - same engine and team as the FFIII and FFIV remakes.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
The DS library is what helps make the 3ds an amazing game device, similarly to the PS1 library boosting the Ps2.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Thanks! Those other 2 are also for Vita right? Any major differences between the versions?

Not entirely sure what the vita one has going on but the series utilises the touch screen and dual screens in cool little ways, I am certainly glad I played on DS.
The Vita should have all 3 of the games available as a packaged called "The Nonary Games", I believe they are enhanced since the original release but yeah i'm not sure if some of the puzzles will feel a bit less charming without the unique DS controls. But if you have a strong platform preference, it's probably still worth it on whichever since it's ultimately a visual novel with slightly oldschool pen-and-paper style puzzles.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The DS has such a robust library that is filled with unique and original games, I would recommend Contact, Solatorobo and Avalon Code if you enjoy adventure games.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
DS has the best library of any portable system and one of the best of any system IMO.

Ghost Trick, Contra 4, Soul Bubbles, Elite Beat Agents, Ninja Gaiden, Henry Hatsworth, Spider-Man Web of Shadows (DS version is very different from the console ones, it's a beat'em up Metroidvania). It's full of nice hidden gems

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ninja Gaiden, dragon sword is better than people give credit.

OSU! Ouedan is worth exporting. Don't even need to know Japanese to enjoy.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have really fond memories of the first three Professor Layton games. Everyone should play Elite Beat Agents. Sonic Rush is wonderful and I don't even usually like Sonic. Advance Wars. The Castlevania games. There's a lot to choose from!

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (the OG Elite Beat Agents)
Meteos
Zoo Keeper
Puyo Puyo Fever / 15th Anniversary / 20th Anniversary
Tetris DS
Flower, Sun & Rain
The World Ends With You
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer

and like a million I'm forgetting

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
My World My Way is one of my favourite DS games I never hear much about. The main character can alter the games stats by pouting. Though I never beat it I really liked Avalon Code.

The Rune Factory games are also meant to be interesting though I never played the DS ones.

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
Elite Beat Agents is cheesy fun. So much warmhearted goodness bopping along to classic songs whilst a bunch of goofy guys in suits dance along.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is a great mystery story with a beautiful sketchy art style and melancholy vibe.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict is a darker take on the classic Advance Wars.

I still maintain 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors is best played on DS. It's a great horror visual novel/puzzle game with a really satisfying plot.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely sure what the vita one has going on but the series utilises the touch screen and dual screens in cool little ways, I am certainly glad I played on DS.
The Vita should have all 3 of the games available as a packaged called "The Nonary Games", I believe they are enhanced since the original release but yeah i'm not sure if some of the puzzles will feel a bit less charming without the unique DS controls. But if you have a strong platform preference, it's probably still worth it on whichever since it's ultimately a visual novel with slightly oldschool pen-and-paper style puzzles.
The Vita versions are much better in terms of visuals / don't have a nasty save corrupting bug in the case of Virtue's Last Reward.

Thanks for both of you. Actually I don't have a Vita I was just curious to know what I would be missing on. Will have to get the DS and 3DS versions.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Hotel Dusk and Trace Memories are great adventure/visual novels that are uniquely suited to the system. Generally speaking, I think the beat games on the DS are experimental/boundary pushing games like these.
Yeah, assuming OP didn't just forget them, these are essential DS games esecially to those who already like Ace Attorney. They're more grounded but I think the quality of writing in Hotel Dusk is something you rarely see in video games. It is so good, and even the plot of it has very clever development. Best of all it keeps you going with its mystery.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
If you enjoy puzzle games at all, the DS is awesome.

Tetris DS
Bust-a-Move DS
Zoo Keeper
Meteos

Outside puzzle games, Elite Beat Agents is an absolute must.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Okamiden, Order of Ecclesia, Devil Survivor 1/2 (Tho there's the 3DS remasters), Radiant Historia (DS version is better imo).

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Are you kidding? Yes, the DS library is incredible. It's huge with notable games in every genre you can think of as well as many unique games you can only find on the DS due to its dual screens and stylus.

I'd run out and play 999, Trace Memory, Ghost Trick, Hotel Dusk, and Kirby Canvas Curse right away.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely worth checking out the DS library. I think it's somewhat overlooked currently and had some real gems in it. Castlevania Trilogy, Advanced Wars (both), Contra 4, Mega Man, and on and on. Honestly there are just way too many to list, especially for those that are into JRPG's, Japanese games in general, experimental games, etc...

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Absolutely. I recommend all the adventure games mentioned so far, plus the following:

* Elite Beat Agents and the Ouedan games
* Final Fantasy Tactics A2, if you don't mind it being more light-hearted than the original Tactics
* Meteos
* Puzzle League DS
* Infinite Space
* Monster Tale

It's a great library, even if it favors "slow" genres too much for my tastes.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games, they're pretty amazing

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Puzzle games and traditional JRPGs are still def worth playing. The DS has one of the best puzzle libraries of all time.

It's also the best version of the original Disgaea if you can live without voice/audio. The second screen as a top down map is such a huge help with setting up effect chains and whatnot that every Disgaea since that hasn't had it has been a step back to me (and, believe me, I own them ALL).

Personally, I think all of Sting's releases for DS are unique and worth playing, but Knights in the Nightmare is wholly unique and best played on DS. It's dense, but once you begin to grasp it there's nothing like it.

Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly recommend getting a DSi XL on the cheap if you can. The 3DS stretches DS games to fit the higher res screen, and you can disable it so it maintains the original resolution, but the DSi XL looks so much better by comparison.

Oct 29, 2017
The Hotel Dusk games are amazing. If you could somehow find a copy of them - especially the UK exclusive sequel - it's an amazing experience and the DS is the only way to experience these games at this point.

Oct 28, 2017
Popping in to recommend the two Chibi-Robo! games for the DS. The Japanese one is a direct sequel to the first game and has a fan translation. Park Patrol is a very interesting game, sunk so many hours into that game. The wacky characters are legendary.

Take a peek into the Lost in Blue series if you enjoy survival/exploration games.

Rocket Slime can't be hyped enough. Truly a unique spin on the Dragon Quest franchise.

I'm seeing people start to recommend Contact frequently in threads like these, a game which I have never played but have always been interested in. Better pick up a loose cartridge before the price starts shooting up, huh?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Games yet to be cited: Solatorobo, Alice in wonderland, Nanostray 2, most Dragon Ball games on Ds were also pretty good if you are a fan of the series.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought a brand new RH DS copy the past week just because there is still stock in my local Amazon store, I don't have interest to buy the 3DS version hehe. Wish have the same luck with EOIII, but a used copy will be fine when I get the money to get it.
Smart choice, the 3DS version of Radiant Historia is awful imo. Good luck with the EO3 search.