• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DS has a superb library. Really recommend Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time (that's a mouthful!). Tons of customization and FF fan-service.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Smart choice, the 3DS version of Radiant Historia is awful imo. Good luck with the EO3 search.

What makes the 3ds version bad in your opinion? I have played the demo and bought a copy, but never played the DS version. I know they changed the character art. Is that your complaint or is there more to it?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hotel Dusk and Last Window are great adventure games.
Ghost Trick is also a classic.

Others I go back to:

Etrian Odyssey III
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Metal Slug 7
Contra 4
Aliens Infestation

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The First Layton game was great, unless you can play it elsewhere.

I also liked New Super Mario Bros more than the 3DS one.

Super Princess Peach is also a very good platformer with interesting mechanics / ideas.

Polarium was a great puzzle game.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What makes the 3ds version bad in your opinion? I have played the demo and bought a copy, but never played the DS version. I know they changed the character art. Is that your complaint or is there more to it?
Without getting into spoilers the original storyline got butchered by the new content. Blatant retcons galore which make parts of the story not make sense at all or betraying its themes, plus locking the vastly superior original artwork and other content behind on-cart paid DLC.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
My recommendations:

Ninja Town: a cutesy tower defense. Really fun and challenging with great gameplay.

Final fantasy 12 revenant wings: Nobody ever talks aout this spin off because it plays so differently from the mainline games. It's a moba/rts/srpg where you have have units that you level up alongside your main character. Very fun game and it has a good amount of content.

Nanostray DS: a shmup with QOL features. You can select your level, save after each stage. gameplay is solid and a lot of replayability as you have different paths.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Best console of all time has surely got a library that's worth revisiting. Castlevania Trilogy, The World Ends With You, Pokemon Platinum + HG/SS, Ghost Trick, New Super Mario, Trauma Center, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright games, Professor Layton games. Among many others

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Rather pick up the GBA game, Polarium Advanced. Surprisingly it's a much more polished at complete package.

Maybe check out Another Code. It's a small and short little game, which came out shortly after the DS was released. It uses the DS in interesting ways. I even recommend it over Hotel Dusk or Another Code R (direct sequel for Wii, EU + JP exclusive), both of which were in the same vein but overstay their welcome.

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
IMO the DS library will be eternal because of Tetris DS and Clubhouse Games. Those two are always in my loop.

OP
OP
HeRinger

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks guys! Some interesting recommendations here, though I think I know most of the games suggested. Also already played stuff like Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, Castlevania, Radiant Historia...

Right now I have my eye on Pokemon Conquest, which wasn't mentioned funnily enough.

Some games suggested got me interested, like Valkyria Profile, FFTA2 (the PSX original is one of my favorite games version, but I never got into the GBA and DS games), Hotel Dusk, Trauma Center (loved the Wii version), FFXII, Contra 4...

How is Monolith's Soma Bringer? Worth playing?

Also, more obscure/less known games are very welcome!

OP
OP
HeRinger

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yes, forgot to mention I'm also in the mood for an action RPG. Any suggestions on DS or 3DS (maybe GBA too)?

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Shit I bought a ton of DS games but I can't recall that many. I know I played all the Zeldas and Castlevanias. Contra and Valkyrie Profile were pretty good.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Kirby Canvas Curse
Meteos
Metroid Prime Pinball
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Picross 3D
Rhythm Heaven
Tetris DS
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Of what i played, these are the ones i would recommend (some of them at least)

- Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure. Really fun Platformer/Puzzle mix game.
- JUMP Ultimate Stars. Crazy fun if you like Smash Bros. or JUMP characters in general. Theres a fan translation
- Contra 4. As good as the old ones (well, maybe not as good as Hard Cops), but still solid. The portability really gives it a plus
- Bangai-O DS. Arguably as good as the Dreamcast original version. A nice combination of SHUMP and Bullet Hell
- Okamiden. I don't think i need to say much, but since you didn't put in the post, im guessing you didn't played it
- Bleach 3rd Phantom. Reallyg ood if you like action RPG's
- Resident Evil DS. This version while not the optimal way to play the game, its definitely worth a try. The core elements are still there, and the DS screen really helps for a different experience

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The DS library is so big that no matter how many times you revisit it, there's still gems here and there that you never played.

GrendelKhan

Aug 1, 2018
Oh yes, forgot to mention I'm also in the mood for an action RPG. Any suggestions on DS or 3DS (maybe GBA too)?

I just finished playing Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals and would recommend that as a more obscure action RPG. I liked it better than Avalon Code which I had trouble staying interested in.

Right now, I'm replaying Hotel Dusk before playing Last Window for the first time. It looks great on a DSi XL.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
If OP has an iOS or Android, would there be any reason to get the DS ver over those? I only played Ghost Trick on iOS and it was great, regardless, but I don't know any version differences.
Well the frustrating thing about mobile gaming is OS updates breaking compatibility with older software and it being up to the developers to update their apps so they work again... something that may or may not happen.

I'm pretty sure this temporarily affected some Capcom games too... can't remember if it was Ghost Trick, Ace Attorney, or both, but an iOS update broke compatibility with some Capcom games once and they took their sweet time before updating 'em to work on the new version of iOS.

So yeah... Not having to worry about crap like that would be one benefit of going with the DS version at least. lol

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Well the frustrating thing about mobile gaming is OS updates breaking compatibility with older software and it being up to the developers to update their apps so they work again... something that may or may not happen.

I'm pretty sure this temporarily affected some Capcom games too... can't remember if it was Ghost Trick, Ace Attorney, or both, but an iOS update broke compatibility with some Capcom games once and they took their sweet time before updating 'em to work on the new version of iOS.

So yeah... Not having to worry about crap like that would be one benefit of going with the DS version at least. lol
iOS 11 removed 32-bit app support, which killed off a lot of older apps that had not been updated in a long time. Ghost Trick has been updated and works on newer devices again. That's a one-time thing really.
Of course it's possible that some other issue may crop up, and Apple tends to prefer not having extended legacy support like Microsoft does, but Capcom seemed to care enough to update it for that.
Other than that possibility, it seems like the definitive version of the game.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
iOS 11 removed 32-bit app support, which killed off a lot of older apps that had not been updated in a long time. Ghost Trick has been updated and works on newer devices again. That's a one-time thing really.
Of course it's possible that some other issue may crop up, and Apple tends to prefer not having extended legacy support like Microsoft does, but Capcom seemed to care enough to update it for that.
Other than that possibility, it seems like the definitive version of the game.
Ghost Trick does work now thankfully, but the incident of broken compatibility I'm referring to was quite a bit before the big 32-bit exodus... it was 2013, 2014 maybe? I've had apps break time and time again on iOS. Much like their willingness to ditch legacy features like the 3.5mm headphone jack, Apple also seems to have no qualms with breaking compatibility with old apps. They probably have the mindset of "if the app still matters, it'll get updated"... and that's how we get lost games like The Secret of Chateau de Moreau.

But I'm not trying to fearmonger and scare people away from the iOS version of Ghost Trick or anything like that, it's excellent. I'd definitely rather play it on my iPad than on a tiny DS screen.

Jan 12, 2018
The world ends with you, meteos, feel the magic, warioware, sm64 is great if you never played it, legendary starfy and super princess peach are two cute and short platformers.

I was under the impression that the GBA Castlevania games were superior to the DS trilogy. I just finished Aria this evening, are there any others that are must plays? That game was amazing.

Rare Opiums

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Tricks, Advance Wars, and Castlevania to name a few.

I would also recommend GTA Chinatown Wars. Not many people would say this, but I thought it was kinda fun and cute. And I said this as someone who never played GTA games on console.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The First Layton game was great, unless you can play it elsewhere.

I also liked New Super Mario Bros more than the 3DS one.

Super Princess Peach is also a very good platformer with interesting mechanics / ideas.

Ah, yes. Glad someone mentioned Super Princess Peach. Great platformer. Please play it if you haven't already!

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Ghost Trick
Jump Ultimate Stars (a manga fighter like Smash Bros. produced by Nintendo)
Ace Attorney trilogy
Space Invaders Extreme
Mario & Luigi: Inside Bowser
Picross DS and Picross 3D
Elite Beat Agents and both Ouendan games
Pokémon GoldHeart/SoulSilver
Aliens: Infestation
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Hotel Dusk & Lost Window
Any of the Dragon Quest remakes
Henry Hatsworth
Any of the Layton games
Inazuma Eleven (if you like RPGs and Football/Soccer)
The World Ends With You
Super Princess Peach
Sonic Rush
GTA Chinatown
Kirby Canvas Curse
Clubhouse Games

Pokémon Conquest is weird, but cool. Good pick.

Oct 31, 2017
Ninja Gaiden DS is so good it's ridiculous.

The Hotel Dusk games are amazing. If you could somehow find a copy of them - especially the UK exclusive sequel -

Please... Last Window isn't UK exclusive ! :P

How is Monolith's Soma Bringer? Worth playing?

I tried it but didn't like it... It felt like a proto-Xenoblade if that makes sense, but nowhere near as good.

Also, more obscure/less known games are very welcome!

Have you played Ninja Gaiden DS ?

I just finished Aria this evening, are there any others that are must plays? That game was amazing.

Aria has a sequel on DS so play that ;) They did change the art style though.

My favorite on DS btw is Portrait of Ruins !

Last edited:

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Currently I'm really into Brain Training Maths, Brain Training Arts and Big Brain Academy.

If you're into 2D platformers, take a look at The Legendary Starfy.