• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've played WW and TP enough times to last me a lifetime so those would be easy skips. I'm way more interested in seeing Majora's Mask (because it's the best after BotW) and Skyward Sword (because of the novelty) updated for Switch. As far as Wii U games go, I still need W101, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Super Mario 3D World.

and Fatal Frame.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Made a list of first party things by likelihood in my opinion.

Likely
• Pokémon Sword/Shield
• Super Mario Maker 2
• Fire Emblem: Three Houses
• Luigi's Mansion 3
• Animal Crossing
• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC Fighter 2
• Astral Chain
• Daemon x Machina

Maybe
• Bayonetta 3
• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC Fighter 3
• EPD 9 (Mario Kart 8/ARMS team) title
• EPD 11 (Star Fox Zero/Tank Troopers) title
• Metroid Prime Trilogy
• Pikmin 3/4
• Retro Studios title (not Prime 4)
• EPD 7 (2D Metroid/Rhythm Heaven/Tomodachi Life) title

Unlikely
• 3D Zelda title
• Splatoon title
• Monolith Soft Title

Near-Impossible
• Metroid Prime 4
• 3D Mario title

The likely section is obviously very safe. I put the games those EPD groups worked on as a reference, not as an indicator of what I think would be announced. I also think DQXI will get at least some sort of trailer.
I would at least put 3D Mario in the unlikely category; why put it with Prime 4, which is DEFINITELY NOT happening, when 3D Mario still has a decent chance. A quick reminder:
Super Mario Galaxy: Released November 1st 2007 (JP release date)
Super Mario Galaxy 2: Revealed June 3rd 2009; Released May 27th 2010 (JP release date)

Super Mario Odyssey: Released October 27th 2017
Super Mario Odyssey 2: Revealed June 11th 2019; releases Q2 2020

It's like poetry, they rhyme.

E3 this year is the perfect timing for an Odyssey 2 announcement. Just you wait; it could happen.

Last edited:

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I would at least put 3D Mario in the unlikely category; why put it with Prime 4, which is DEFINITELY NOT happening, when 3D Mario still has a decent chance. A quick reminder:

E3 this year is the perfect timing for an Odyssey 2 announcement. Just you wait; it could happen.
I was just thinking that it's been less than two years since Odyssey and that EAD Ninja's comments in the first party thread saying that some of the 3D team is working with the 2D team, possibly starting with Mario Maker 2.

I also put "Near-Impossible" as wriggle room for when I'm inevitably proven wrong lol

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I was just thinking that it's been less than two years since Odyssey and that EAD Ninja's comments in the first party thread saying that some of the 3D team is working with the 2D team, possibly starting with Mario Maker 2.

I also put "Near-Impossible" as wriggle room for when I'm inevitably proven wrong lol
True, I forgot about EPD Group 8 seemingly helping out on the 3D World portion of Mario Maker 2, but I still think Odyssey 2 is feasible as a 2020 game.

We know that SMO was completed far before it was released (but held off on to keep the release schedule up in the latter half of the year) so for all we know, they got a really good head start on Odyssey 2 (especially after the February 2018 update to SMO), which freed up part of the team to work on other projects (like the Captain Toad DLC, Odyssey VR Update and SMM2's 3D World portion; assuming that they even handled the new content for Captain Toad, since it is possible that Nintendo Software Technology did that themselves).

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

EAD Tokyo helping out on the 3d world style makes sense.

Edit: I still live in the past. EPD.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that an Odyssey sequel could make 2020, but I was thinking more Q4 instead of Q2.

Ok so here's my reasoning for other things on that breakdown.

I've already gone over EPD 9 in an earlier post. Basically that the group has been consistently releasing games every 2-3 years for over a decade and that it's been two years since ARMS, which received its last significant update in late 2017. If anything is announced, it will be a 2020 title.

For EPD 7, at least one project lead has not been credited since 2015; Masami Yone who has directed the Rhythm Heaven games. Another lead whose name I can't remember directed both Tomodachi Life and Miitomo. I feel like another 2D Metroid collaboration will happen but I don't think it will be announced until closer to launch, so not E3.

For EPD 11, this group technically hasn't been confirmed but both project manager/producer Tadashi Sugiyama and co-producer Hiroshi Matsunaga have not been credited since 2016's Tank Troopers, besides supervision on Starlink. This is currently the only EPD group we have yet to see a Switch title from. They usually collaborate with external developers, including PlatinumGames, Vitei, and Ganbarion.

The reason I put Pikmin 3 and 4 together is because I can't see them announcing the former without at least bringing up the latter with how long it's been since Miyamoto brought it up. Also, no, it's not Hey Pikmin as Miyamoto was not credited in that game.

3D Zelda is generally announced at least a year before its launch. I'm pretty sure the common consensus is that BotW was done for a while but intentionally held back for the Switch's launch. Hidemaro Fujibayashi, the director, was only supervising the DLC. Though it's still up in the air and if anything is announced, it's going to be a "one more thing" teaser at best.

I put Splatoon in unlikely as I don't see Splatoon 3 happening anytime soon, but I'm not ruling out a spin-off game with how popular the series has become, especially in Japan. There's no way of knowing if that will ever happen, though.

With Monolith, we know they usually work on multiple titles at once, as well as assist development with EPD games. Xenoblade 2 started development almost a year before the release of X in Japan. There's already job listings on their site for Zelda and Xenoblade titles. However, Torna was pretty hefty and I don't think it's clear if the Zelda and "Action RPG" projects are different.

Metroid Prime 4 is pretty self-explanatory lol. The game recently restarted development.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to the Japanese website the Mario Maker 2 tournament will be first! The bad news is it looks like it'll only be around 30 minutes ☹️

I wanted atleast one hour

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
30 minutes? damn that's not much, i thought i'd be able to chill and watch some mario maker for a few hours.
I think they don't want to spoil too much since the game is coming so soon. Also, since SMM2 is getting its own presentation, does that infer it won't be at the Direct proper?

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Yuichiro Takeda, known for his scriptwriting on the Xenoblade series, retweeted Nintendo's E3 tweet.

This is probably meaningless as he is no Soraya Saga, but whatevs. Maybe something will come out of this event. Maybe not.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
If we're seeing a Splatoon title, I reckon it'll be a sports spin-off, maybe American football.

Splatoon: Squidiron

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I know this year is probably not the one but I really hope there's a new Donkey Kong game.

A sequel to the GOAT Donkey Kong game?!

DonkeyKongShot.png

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
30 minutes? damn that's not much, i thought i'd be able to chill and watch some mario maker for a few hours.

for what it's worth, it's almost guaranteed to take up hours during the Treehouse Presentation. Breath of the Wild got multiple hours to itself in 2016, and last year was a lot of Smash. Mario Maker is honestly best suited to that format anyway, especially since they like to bring in guests so they can be like "here's a level made by Miyamoto!"

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuichiro Takeda, known for his scriptwriting on the Xenoblade series, retweeted Nintendo's E3 tweet.

This is probably meaningless as he is no Soraya Saga, but whatevs. Maybe something will come out of this event. Maybe not.

Can't believe we're two weeks away from Xenoblade X-2, the Switch savior.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
for what it's worth, it's almost guaranteed to take up hours during the Treehouse Presentation. Breath of the Wild got multiple hours to itself in 2016, and last year was a lot of Smash. Mario Maker is honestly best suited to that format anyway, especially since they like to bring in guests so they can be like "here's a level made by Miyamoto!"

Reggie will be the special course maker guest.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's true, either way there's gonna be a ton of gameplay footage.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

What you really mean is that one of the scriptwriters for F-Zero anime retweeted it. ;)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Made a list of first party things by likelihood in my opinion.

Likely
• Pokémon Sword/Shield
• Super Mario Maker 2
• Fire Emblem: Three Houses
• Luigi's Mansion 3
• Animal Crossing
• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC Fighter 2
• Astral Chain
• Daemon x Machina

Maybe
• Bayonetta 3
• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC Fighter 3
• EPD 9 (Mario Kart 8/ARMS team) title
• EPD 11 (Star Fox Zero/Tank Troopers) title
• Metroid Prime Trilogy
• Pikmin 3/4
• Retro Studios title (not Prime 4)
• EPD 7 (2D Metroid/Rhythm Heaven/Tomodachi Life) title

Unlikely
• 3D Zelda title
• Splatoon title
• Monolith Soft Title

Near-Impossible
• Metroid Prime 4
• 3D Mario title

The likely section is obviously very safe. I put the games those EPD groups worked on as a reference, not as an indicator of what I think would be announced. I also think DQXI will get at least some sort of trailer.
3D Mario is more likely than 3D Zelda.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
they really missed out on the opportunity to have something like that from the first trailer and then keep adding to it with each reveal.
I mean it wouldn't be the same and the initial reveal was small and they've been gradually adding roster reveals unlike smash where they revealed 90% of the roster day one.

They could get away with a character mural in the demo area though because plenty of the cast has been shown and it'd give the area flavor. That or a comic book cover collage

Status
Not open for further replies.