• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm not talking about, what's essentially a toy aimed at children and the point of it is you need accessories (for the games). It's a collection of mini games or an addition to games like BotW.
LABO Vehicle is not a collection of mini-games. I simply get tired of the mantra of "Nintendo does not make new ip because X, Y and Z do not count".

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
tenor.gif

DO NOT GOOGLE TAIMANIN ASAGI AT WORK

IT'S A RAPEY HENTAI THING
Lmao

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LABO Vehicle is not a collection of mini-games. I simply get tired of the mantra of "Nintendo does not make new ip because X, Y and Z do not count".
it's fair to say they (meaning EPD/EAD) haven't created a good single player IP in quite a while, that's a fair point and one qualifier (single player) isn't too many.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what is the reality? that some games that were released on a platform and made most of their sales there may or may not come to PC a year later? it's a pretty insignificant thing imo, and even if it was big we don't have much to see a pattern. TSA is a self-published indie game, it's basically like an indie game launching on switch first. there's only octopath, which is coming a year later to PC. that may also happen to DxM, or maybe not. that's it.

I'm not sure whether you guys are misreading my comments or not reading them at all because I don't know how to parse posts like this. I said, explicitly and repeatedly, that this isn't a big deal and that the impact will be minimal. Even that I think this is a net positive. I only commented on how losing some of the few exclusives on the Switch is kind of a shame in the light of multiple third-party ports in the last month being subpar and big releases in general shunning the system, for obvious reasons.

Games like Octopath Traveler and Travis Strikes Again give the system its unique character just like other exclusives did for the Wii, DS and 3DS (and the Switch already doesn't have as many in comparison). On those systems third-party exclusives were unique selling points and set them apart from other systems, on the Switch less so. I was merely musing about the fact of how this has shifted.

The "panic" you spoke of only ensued because another poster tried to remind me of something I already pointed out in my first post on the subject.

Also I bet you're hype about the Mua3 Cyclops tease and hope he'll be fully revealed at e3.

giphy.gif

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
it's fair to say they (meaning EPD/EAD) haven't created a good single player IP in quite a while, that's a fair point and one qualifier (single player) isn't too many.
splatoon single player is cool, but I doubt Nintendo is really interested in single player beyond their usual ips unless it's made by someone else.

on the good side Xenoblade has grown quite a bit

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not sure whether you guys are misreading my comments or not reading them at all because I don't know how to parse posts like this. I said, explicitly and repeatedly, that this isn't a big deal and that the impact will be minimal. Even that I think this is a net positive. I only commented on how losing some of the few exclusives on the Switch is kind of a shame in the light of multiple third-party ports in the last month being subpar and big releases in general shunning the system, for obvious reasons.

Games like Octopath Traveler and Travis Strikes Again give the system its unique character just like other exclusives did for the Wii, DS and 3DS (and the Switch already doesn't have as many in comparison). On those systems third-party exclusives were unique selling points and set them apart from other systems, on the Switch less so. I was merely musing about the fact of how this has shifted.

The "panic" you spoke of only ensued because another poster tried to remind me of something I already pointed out in my first post on the subject.

giphy.gif
Hey be hopeful dude I mean if they weren't all playable why leave Jean, Iceman and Angel or any number of other popular X-men out of this pic
D7QeqbhXYAAYyXy.png

And longer on it unless Cyclops and Colossus were playable and just show up later in the game than the other xmen(series tradition is to split up the team unlocks across the entire game for big ones)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Hey be hopeful dude I mean if they weren't all playable why leave Jean, Iceman and Angel or any number of other popular X-men out of this pic
D7QeqbhXYAAYyXy.png

And longer on it unless Cyclops and Colossus were playable and just show up later in the game than the other xmen(series tradition is to split up the team unlocks across the entire game for big ones)
Putting that image at the beginning of the trailer and that Colossus and Cyclops were not in the game would be unnecessarily petty.

They even have redesigns.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

giphy.gif
It's a bit of a shame I guess but understandable, unless Nintendo is directly involved in their creation, an exclusive on Switch doesn't make any sense, the other systems had the advantage of cheap development costs (they were SD systems after all) working on an HD system is an entirely different game

We just have to accept it and move on, Switch 2 will be the same

However, they have an appealing exclusive lineup imo, xenoblade, bayonetta, astral chain, zelda, Pokemon etc. will bring attention from the other system owners, they just ne ed to keep expanding

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Putting that image at the beginning of the trailer and that Colossus and Cyclops were not in the game would be unnecessarily petty.

They even have redesigns.
Yeah and with magneto that puts them up at a respectable 8 characters second only to the Avengers
Do you guys expect MUA3 will sell well? Could it hit 1 million?
Original did over 2 mil on a single platform(exact numbers are unknown but it did well enough on ps2/Xbox/gba/pc to get a Ps360 and psp ports) and it did well enough to get platinum hits status on 360. With how much stronger a brand Marvel is with the right advertising and it being a strong game on a multiplayer centric platform we could be looking 2-3 million +. Plus it's in a more marketable genre than the fighting games

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yes, I think it has a greater potential than Marvel vs. Capcom. Many people want to play with Marvel characters and do not care about Capcom, the simplicity of the gameplay allows many more characters and being cooperative is an addition that is very popular.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah feels like people are missing that it's a Nintendo internationally published game based off a strong international brand with a major recent release causing hype, and will likely have first party level marketing including heavy tv ads and possibly cross promotion with San Diego Comic Con(it comes out the week it's going on). It has also has an attractive colorful artstyle and already a ridiculously huge roster of playable fan favorite characters. If the game is solid on top of that word of mouth will be solid too

Edit: it's also in a more marketable genre and has four player coop in every form

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I was blazblue CTB earlier and damn it still plays great, now I really want a traditional 2d/2.5d fighter with Nintendo characters.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I want to believe but I've been hurt too many times.

giphy.gif

it's actually one of my most anticipated games this year

It's a bit of a shame I guess but understandable, unless Nintendo is directly involved in their creation, an exclusive on Switch doesn't make any sense, the other systems had the advantage of cheap development costs (they were SD systems after all) working on an HD system is an entirely different game

However, they have an appealing exclusive lineup imo, xenoblade, bayonetta, astral chain, zelda, Pokemon etc. will bring attention from the other system owners, they just ne ed to keep expanding

Yeah, my hope is that they make up for it by doubling down on first-party development.

Oct 26, 2017

To be fair, I'm not sure why an exclusive for any system makes sense, save for unique ones like PSVR. It's not as if, say, an exclusive on the PS4 can't be done on the Xbox or PC or, in some cases, even the Switch

That being said, yeah, Nintendo is the one who most needs to expand their studios as they're the ones with the fewest notable 3rd party titles and at least some of the moves they're making are encouraging

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Do you guys expect MUA3 will sell well? Could it hit 1 million?

Assuming it gets good reviews and it gets positive press, yes I think it'll sell well. I think it'll sell well cause people are still on a Marvel-high with it being post Avengers:Endgame and people wanting more Marvel content in their veins. I think that'll help a whole lot but I dunno what number it'll hit sales wise. I'm gonna probably get it day 1 depending on reviews though.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
To be fair, I'm not sure why an exclusive for any system makes sense, save for unique ones like PSVR. It's not as if, say, an exclusive on the PS4 can't be done on the Xbox or PC or, in some cases, even the Switch
Well, exclusives are there for first companies to make their hardware more appealing, beyond that, before portable systems made possible entirely different games so many companies diversified their resources, series like Castlevania and Mega Man made their home in portables, and Sonic got made some of his best games there, without exclusivity it wouldn't make sense

Other possible benefit are games that couldn't possible get made without help, like Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne,Mario x Rabbids Astral Chain, etc.

Now, it's more about avoiding a certain console than any other exclusive thing, like Nier Automata for a time

Oct 26, 2017
Well, exclusives are there for first companies to make their hardware more appealing, beyond that, before portable systems made possible entirely different games so many companies diversified their resources, series like Castlevania and Mega Man made their home in portables, and Sonic got made some of his best games there, without exclusivity it wouldn't make sense. Other possible benefit are games that couldn't possible get made without help, like Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne,Mario x Rabbids Astral Chain, etc.

Now, it's more about avoiding a certain console than any other exclusive thing, like Nier Automata for a time
Oh yeah, back then, exclusivity made more sense due to certain types of games not being suitable for certain types of hardware at the time, such as handhelds or consoles, or due to it being more difficult to get games across various consoles. Now, exclusives make more sense if a 1st party publisher plays a part in the development of the game or funds it

Ahh...yeah, the Atlus way :P

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're the only one who liked it. I haven't played it, but I've seen a lot of negative conversation around the demo.
I think LordKano loved it too but it is clearly not a game with a wide appeal and that's fine.

It's my most anticipated game of the year. Not only Switch game, but overall and despite me also being very excited for the likes of Zelda, Pokémon Sword & Shield, DOOM Eternal, Outer Worlds and such. I know very well that it's an unpopular opinon due to how niche of a game it is - people probably think I'm crazy to skip Super Mario Make 2 and save my money for that game, but I thrive for the original and unique titles that the Switch managed to bring to life, and Daemon x Machina is exactly one of those.

It's reminescent to me of the fantastic titles we had on Wii and which had only a moderate to low success but were still published and/or funded by Nintendo solely to expand the library and the audience of the console. Like Sin & Punishment, or Pandora's Tower. It's experimental titles, stuff that hasn't been done before and that caters to a very specific niche. But it's also fresh and new, and it pleases that niche fanbase to near maximum potential.

I played the demo and loved it. It obviously had some issues, like the framerate in instances where they were many enemies and alpha effects, as well as the resolution in handheld mode, but the charm of the gameplay and how deep it seemed to go completely made it up for me. I know that some people thought the game was too slow, but it's not a problem of speed per se but rather that it has a very steep learning curve and it's completely unforgiving. The demo lasts like 30 minutes at best, but I spent more than five hours with it and even then I'm far from having a good control of everything I'm doing. Yet, it feels incredibly fun to play.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's my most anticipated game of the year. Not only Switch game, but overall and despite me also being very excited for the likes of Zelda, Pokémon Sword & Shield, DOOM Eternal, Outer Worlds and such. I know very well that it's an unpopular opinon due to how niche of a game it is - people probably think I'm crazy to skip Super Mario Make 2 and save my money for that game, but I thrive for the original and unique titles that the Switch managed to bring to life, and Daemon x Machina is exactly one of those.

It's reminescent to me of the fantastic titles we had on Wii and which had only a moderate to low success but were still published and/or funded by Nintendo solely to expand the library and the audience of the console. Like Sin & Punishment, or Pandora's Tower. It's experimental titles, stuff that hasn't been done before and that caters to a very specific niche. But it's also fresh and new, and it pleases that niche fanbase to near maximum potential.

I played the demo and loved it. It obviously had some issues, like the framerate in instances where they were many enemies and alpha effects, as well as the resolution in handheld mode, but the charm of the gameplay and how deep it seemed to go completely made it up for me. I know that some people thought the game was too slow, but it's not a problem of speed per se but rather that it has a very steep learning curve and it's completely unforgiving. The demo lasts like 30 minutes at best, but I spent more than five hours with it and even then I'm far from having a good control of everything I'm doing. Yet, it feels incredibly fun to play.

It's also so satisfying to take out that boss with a sword

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Kid Icarus Uprising isn't technically a new IP, but it may as well have been. Same with Xenoblade Chronicles.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my hope is that they make up for it by doubling down on first-party development.

That isn't always the right idea. They did exactly that on 3DS, covering up absence of third party by "doubling down" on first party in panic mode. And they gave us some of the WORST first party games Nintendo ever made, from Chibi-Robo Ziplash to AC Happy Home Designer.

I hope instead of doing the job themselves, Nintendo would pay someone else to bring more games. They need to continue working on moneyhats instead of spamming out low budget, low quality garbage. Sounds like they're already on this path, Marvel, Astral Chain and Imran's secret game, second party/moneyhats will soon outnumber the in house made games. That's a good thing, while Nintendo's own software are top quality, they lack diversity (they released 4 2D platformers in one year!).

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That isn't always the right idea. They did exactly that on 3DS, covering up absence of third party by "doubling down" on first party in panic mode. And they gave us some of the WORST first party games Nintendo ever made, from Chibi-Robo Ziplash to AC Happy Home Designer.

I hope instead of doing the job themselves, Nintendo would pay someone else to bring more games. They need to continue working on moneyhats instead of spamming out low budget, low quality garbage. Sounds like they're already on this path, Marvel, Astral Chain and Imran's secret game, second party/moneyhats will soon outnumber the in house made games. That's a good thing, while Nintendo's own software are top quality, they lack diversity (they released 4 2D platformers in one year!).

This post doesn't even make any sense. All of those games you mentioned are first-party. Chibi-Robo wasn't made in-house. I don't even know why I am replying to this.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If monolith making the new zelda is true, I hope the zelda team is making that thief new IP that Aonuma wanted
If Monolith were making the next mainline Zelda title then I'd agree with the real Zelda team making a new IP, but I don't believe Nintendo would let Monolith make a mainline title.

If Monolith were making a spin-off Zelda game then it wouldn't matter because the Zelda team still has to make the next mainline Zelda game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Monolith were making the next mainline Zelda title then I'd agree with the real Zelda team making a new IP, but I don't believe Nintendo would let Monolith make a mainline title.

If Monolith were making a spin-off Zelda game then it wouldn't matter because the Zelda team still has to make the next mainline Zelda game.
I'm on the side that we're misinterpreting the job posting and it's just that Monolith is "assisting". I put it in quotes because I think they have a seat at the design table alongside Aonuma and Fujibayashi among the other top Zelda staff

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the side that we're misinterpreting the job posting and it's just that Monolith is "assisting". I put it in quotes because I think they have a seat at the design table alongside Aonuma and Fujibayashi among the other top Zelda staff
Oh I'm definitely on the side of Monolith just assisting on Zelda like they've done in the past. I think they are working on a new IP in the ARPG genre.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This post doesn't even make any sense. All of those games you mentioned are first-party. Chibi-Robo wasn't made in-house. I don't even know why I am replying to this.

Ok I get second/first party thing on Nintendo can get a little confusing and Chibi Robo was a bad example. Moneyhats are considered second party without any creative input from Nintendo. They just pay the money to a studio and they make the game for them. Nintendo don't usually oversee the production. Astral Chain, Marvel UA3, Lego City, Devil's Third etc. Games like Metroid Samus Returns and Luigi's Mansion are not considered second party as Nintendo have full creative control over them and they oversee the whole production (by someone from in house Dev teams, like Miyamoto on Luigi's Mansion, Sakamoto on Samus Returns).

What I'm suggesting is Nintendo to continue have moneyhats with zero meddling in the project. That way they can improve the diversity on their platform and offer something for everyone. Marvel and Astral Chain are very good starts, hopefully we will see more Nintendo funded projects in the future. I'm really hyped up for that "revived game".

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I get second/first party thing on Nintendo can get a little confusing and Chibi Robo was a bad example. Moneyhats are considered second party without any creative input from Nintendo. They just pay the money to a studio and they make the game for them. Nintendo don't usually oversee the production. Astral Chain, Marvel UA3, Lego City, Devil's Third etc. Games like Metroid Samus Returns and Luigi's Mansion are not considered second party as Nintendo have full creative control over them and they oversee the whole production (by someone from in house Dev teams, like Miyamoto on Luigi's Mansion, Sakamoto on Samus Returns).

What I'm suggesting is Nintendo to continue have moneyhats with zero meddling in the project. That way they can improve the diversity on their platform and offer something for everyone. Marvel and Astral Chain are very good starts, hopefully we will see more Nintendo funded projects in the future. I'm really hyped up for that "revived game".
I'm pretty sure that Nintendo still works closely with a lot of those so-called 2nd party games. I know they had a fair amount of input into Bayonetta 2 and that didn't harm the overall product or the diversity of the Wii U's rather anemic library so I'm not sure what the concern is here. Those Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival-level titles were rushed titles to give the dying Wii U at least something to keep it limping along as well as to still provide the 3DS with some level of support before the Switch arrived. Nothing more. Nothing less

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Monolith's "Fantasy Action" project seems to be their own seeing as one of the job positions is for a "Scenario Planner".

It's just how the studios are spreading out the work. The Xenoblade studio team (Production 1) is still in Tokyo and has started work on the next game under Takahashi and Kojima. Probably won't be seeing this for a while.

Then there's "Production 2" who's working on a Zelda game. More than likely assisting EPD but the Tokyo studio was working on BotW which caused a lot of XB2 to be outsourced. The Kyoto studio is usually the one assisting EPD.

Then there's the fantasy project that they started hiring for before XB2 was even released. It had very similar hiring listings to the Zelda title but there's the whole scenario thing again.

I also remember hearing the Kyoto studio wanted to start making original games someday.

I don't think the newer studios would be working on an original game yet.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Here is a good summary on the info taken from the various listing (even if it is 1 year old) :

Only part I am uncertain about is the UE4 part but even then it is not very important.

I wonder what the extent of the online part of the game will be. Maybe they'll have an invasion mechanic like Dark Souls. Here's hoping it gets revealed at E3 or in the fall Direct.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I had to plan out Nintendo's biggest announcements for the next set of Directs speaking in terms of first party.

E3- Retro Studios game and Wave Race
September Direct- Pikmin 4 and Monolith Soft new IP
Game Awards- Bayonetta 3 full reveal and BotW 2 teaser
Early 2020 Direct- Paper Mario and 2D Metroid

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the extent of the online part of the game will be. Maybe they'll have an invasion mechanic like Dark Souls. Here's hoping it gets revealed at E3 or in the fall Direct.
probably something akin to Xenoblade X. maybe with actual areas to explore with people instead of just boss battles

Only part I am uncertain about is the UE4 part but even then it is not very important.
the UE4 thing strikes me as unlikely as that was a misinterpretation of the job posting. if I remember correctly, it asked for experience with node based editors like UE4 or Havok Behavior.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are there really people who believe they aren't still working on the online medieval game?

Yep. You even had Gamexplain sayinf the Hyrulian crest or triforce or something was in the concept art.
Monolith's "Fantasy Action" project seems to be their own seeing as one of the job positions is for a "Scenario Planner".

It's just how the studios are spreading out the work. The Xenoblade studio team (Production 1) is still in Tokyo and has started work on the next game under Takahashi and Kojima. Probably won't be seeing this for a while.

Then there's "Production 2" who's working on a Zelda game. More than likely assisting EPD but the Tokyo studio was working on BotW which caused a lot of XB2 to be outsourced. The Kyoto studio is usually the one assisting EPD.

Then there's the fantasy project that they started hiring for before XB2 was even released. It had very similar hiring listings to the Zelda title but there's the whole scenario thing again.

I also remember hearing the Kyoto studio wanted to start making original games someday.

I don't think the newer studios would be working on an original game yet.

I can't see how it's defintely not a new IP. They put up the exact same positions last year. To me it's just a "template" of positions they want for Production Team 2 or probably all of Monolith.

Also, no way in hell would Nintendo ever let someone release concept art of a Zelda game years in advance. We're talking about Nintendo. They would never do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.