• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok I get second/first party thing on Nintendo can get a little confusing and Chibi Robo was a bad example. Moneyhats are considered second party without any creative input from Nintendo. They just pay the money to a studio and they make the game for them. Nintendo don't usually oversee the production. Astral Chain, Marvel UA3, Lego City, Devil's Third etc. Games like Metroid Samus Returns and Luigi's Mansion are not considered second party as Nintendo have full creative control over them and they oversee the whole production (by someone from in house Dev teams, like Miyamoto on Luigi's Mansion, Sakamoto on Samus Returns).

What I'm suggesting is Nintendo to continue have moneyhats with zero meddling in the project. That way they can improve the diversity on their platform and offer something for everyone. Marvel and Astral Chain are very good starts, hopefully we will see more Nintendo funded projects in the future. I'm really hyped up for that "revived game".

Many of those games you think are "second party" with "zero meddling" had several people from Nintendo working as producers, planners, coordinators, project managers, even assistant directors. EPD Production Group 1 is most likely involved with Astral Chain again. I think I get what you mean by first/second party but the distinction only exists in your head, not in reality. It's also not a moneyhat if Nintendo is involved with the production of the game from day one like they were with Astral Chain and MUA3.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So what are everyone's expectations regarding the length of the Direct?

I'm expecting a 35 minute presentation.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

I am expecting more. Last February presentation was 37mn long and was faster paced than the E3 Direct will be + the big games announced in the February Direct will also be at E3.

They'll announce "roughly 45mn" imo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the presentation around 40 minutes. Lots to talk about of course, but not very long because Nintendo won't do deep dives on all the games.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
42min total.

12 min for first-party games
30 min for Phil Spencer going over every single piñata in Viva Piñata Switch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to plan out Nintendo's biggest announcements for the next set of Directs speaking in terms of first party.

E3- Retro Studios game and Wave Race
September Direct- Pikmin 4 and Monolith Soft new IP
Game Awards- Bayonetta 3 full reveal and BotW 2 teaser
Early 2020 Direct- Paper Mario and 2D Metroid

That's actually very plausible. I totally agree with 2D Metroid at first 2020 direct and Bayonetta 3 at Game Awards. Though there are couple of things I'd change:

Monoliths new project I think it's Xeno 3 and there should be 7-8 months between reveal and launch so early 2020 Direct is better fit for it. For September Direct, I expect a Warioware game for the first half of the year next to Pikmin 4.

For Game Awards, there should be something else instead of Zelda. A moneyhat game out of nowhere, maybe Ninja Gaiden 4, exclusive to Switch. The trailer is followed by Ryu in Smash reveal. Next big Zelda game should be revealed at a special LoZ Direct in spring 2020, where the ports of Windwaker, TP, Hyrule Warriors 2 and Triforce Heroes 2 (exclusive to Nintendo Online) will also be announced.

There will be definitely a Mario RPG announcement in the near future but I think it's a new Mario & Luigi rather than Paper Mario.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Going to guess it'll be around 45-50 minutes.

Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Astral Chain, Smash Ultimate's next character, Link's Awakening, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3 are all, at minimum, expected to be in the Direct, and that's just what we know about.

Oct 26, 2017

Let's look at each one's length since they started in 2013, BECAUSE WE CAN!

2013: 41:19
2014: 46:55
2015: 48:26
2016: 1:40:20 (wasn't a traditional one and was just a long ass livestream instead and not on Nintendo's channel oddly)
2017: 24:28 (Nintendo deleted their upload for some reason)
2018: 42:45

Bar 2016 and 2017, they were all in the 40 minute range. 45 minutes would be a good average to expect. Oddly 2017 was super short at only about 25 minutes but was pretty good with announcements.

Deleted member 52093

Banned
Jan 17, 2019
I expect 40-50 minutes. I'm very curious to see how Doug is planning to host the Direct. It's kinda surreal to see that this is going to be the first E3 without Reggie.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm confused why Nintendo deleted their E3 2017 Direct from YouTube...maybe something third party related in it and they asked Nintendo to take it down?

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Looking back at 2018, they just ran through trailers and reminders. The Fire Emblem bit was three minutes. Thats super fast.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's look at each one's length since they started in 2013, BECAUSE WE CAN!

2013: 41:19
2014: 46:55
2015: 48:26
2016: 1:40:20 (wasn't a traditional one and was just a long ass livestream instead and not on Nintendo's channel oddly)
2017: 24:28 (Nintendo deleted their upload for some reason)
2018: 42:45

Bar 2016 and 2017, they were all in the 40 minute range. 45 minutes would be a good average to expect. Oddly 2017 was super short at only about 25 minutes but was pretty good with announcements.
I don't think you can look at 2016 and prior. 2016 didn't have a presentation. 2013-2015 were during the Iwata days and he did things different. Iwata loved to talk and they did the developer diaries during 2014 and 2015.

I only look at 2016 and 2017 for length since this is a new Nintendo when it comes to E3.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
30-35 minutes seems about right. Nintendo basically just does a trailer reel nowadays, and they have a bit more to talk about than they did in 2017 between their current 2019 slate and unannounced 2019 and 2020 titles.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can download it now. If I remember correctly, they retired it from the eshop after some period of time.

gJAMy.png

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking back at 2018, they just ran through trailers and reminders. The Fire Emblem bit was three minutes. Thats super fast.
Right. Nintendo depends on Treehouse a lot more now than they did prior to 2016. This is why 40 minutes the most is what I would expect. Honestly if it's 30-35 minutes it wouldn't be surprising. We could get trailers for every game and maybe a 5 minute blurb for AC and be it for the Direct.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I really don't care if Nintendo gives the deep dive for Luigi's Mansion 3 in the Direct or Treehouse. It's good either way. All I care about is getting new information. I look at Nintendo's E3 as a whole from Saturday with the tournaments all the way through Treehouse.

Oct 26, 2017
Ahhh, this brings back the memories. Grinding money by turning Taffly to Redhott by burning and dousing it and selling it at a high price... Beating the crap out of Sour Cocoadiles because it was really hard to turn them normal and they ate all my innocent Piñatas for nothing. I hope it's in MS's plans to bring it to Switch.

I've wanted Viva Pinata on a Nintendo console (sans DS) since Wii. It even felt like a Wii game was somehow in the cards since they were kind of coy about it, almost hinting at it happening (Narrator: It didn't happen).

A 3DS game felt super obvious as a definitive portable experience carrying over from the DS game but with better visuals.

Now Switch could give us a legit definitive game if they combined both the original and Trouble in Paradise all into one game. Wasn't TiP just the original plus more content more or less anyway?

They can rehire the core 4Kids cast if needed.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What games do you guys think they'll feature in the Treehouse? That's my most anticipated part of E3 tbh.
I think Animal Crossing and Mario Maker 2 will get the most segments. I'm thinking 3 segments. Links Awakening, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Fire Emblem I see getting 2 segments. Pokémon SWSH with one segment. Marvel with one, maybe 2 segments.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think Animal Crossing and Mario Maker 2 will get the most segments. I'm thinking 3 segments. Links Awakening, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Fire Emblem I see getting 2 segments. Pokémon SWSH with one segment. Marvel with one, maybe 2 segments.
And 3 segments for Retro's next game. Call me a fool but I still believe

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I checked to see how many segments Nintendo Treehouse usually does over the 3 days.

2014- ~30 segments
2015- ~42 segments!
2016- ~20 segments
2017- ~24 segments with tournaments mixed in
2018- ~29 segments

Geez they killed it in 2015...too bad the games were not what people wanted lol.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Now Switch could give us a legit definitive game if they combined both the original and Trouble in Paradise all into one game. Wasn't TiP just the original plus more content more or less anyway?

Well, it did have the same content as the first game but it wasn't the same. Requirements for older Piñatas changed in TiP (made them easier since there are a lot more Piñatas in TiP) and game kinda forced you to play in dessert and polar settings to get some of the older Piñatas. Rare Replay has the both games because of this. I don't think Rare would put out extra work to create a combination of two games but I can see them porting both if they decide to bring Rare Replay to Switch.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All I need is 5 minutes of Astral Chain and 3 mins on Deamon x Machina and I'm good.

Neithardt

Banned
May 22, 2019
I'd say 40 minutes give or take, they have Treehouse to go over in-depth gameplay and so forth. I anticipate it'll be a ton of trailers with minimal talking, a standard direct really.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok so what treehouse games are you guys hoping get good sections? Out of the known stuff I'm thinking Mua3 and Luigi's mansion 3 personally

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Feels fucking great to go into this E3 with more than enough to get you by. Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, Smash DLC, Astral Chain. This is already a 10/10 E3 for me.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
All i want for christmas is another update on Bayo 3(even if its just another reminder :^() and new 3D DK game, if not that a 2D Metroid.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm sure this was posted yesterday, but I just found it and it's pretty interesting

How pissed would people have been in they actually called BotW "A New Legend of Zelda" and rebranded the future installments that way?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels fucking great to go into this E3 with more than enough to get you by. Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, Smash DLC, Astral Chain. This is already a 10/10 E3 for me.
Same. It feels so good. What a contrast this year going into E3 feels like compared to last year. There was so much negativity going into last years E3. This year is great and lots of positivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.