• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait how sure are we that Retro's project is another IP revival? Couldn't it just be a spinoff of a current IP, kind of like how Prime was treated?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's clearly an F-Zero fighting game.

hornet.jpg

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait how sure are we that Retro's project is another IP revival? Couldn't it just be a spinoff of a current IP, kind of like how Prime was treated?

Sure. I don't think there's any suggestion that it's an IP revival, just the hints from Emily and now Liam suggesting it's a game in a different genre than the particular IP is known for. I think F-Zero came up because Liam may have been hinting at that specifically.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
You sound way to confident in that lol. Do you know insanely happy people will be with that??

I had F-Zero, Star Fox and Earthbound as the only options for what Retro is working on. F-Zero makes so much sense and I would love to see what Retro comes up with.

No way 2 "console" star foxes were in development at the same time imo.

Kid icarus and f zero are my choices. But different genres than normal

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well whatever Retro is working on, it's made in a new engine. I believe there were rumors of Retro making a game with a new engine back in the Wii u days

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the days when we thought Retro's experience with Mario Kart and Diddy missing from Mario Kart 8 meant Retro could be making Diddy Kong Racing 2.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His podcast on like April 11th goes over the Retro stuff as well. And this podcast around the 1 hour, 45 minute mark.

Can agree or disagree with my interpretation though, but I hope it was a reasonable one.
I'll listen to those too and see. From today's podcast it seemed for sure whatever rumors they've heard would mean NLG wouldn't work on F-Zero because F-Zero is being made by someone else.

I didn't hear them say anything about what type of game F-Zero could be. That's in a different part of the podcast?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This new F-Zero's story mode will be set in a kinda Star Wars or Blade Runner style city were you can explore, enter cantinas and stuff, get sidequests, race people, earn money, buy parts to enhance your vehicle, etc.
At some point in the story, Samus will make an appearance.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The fact that there won't be any 2019 games REALLY excited me because that means Nintendo is confident enough in their 2018 line up that they can just talk about that all e3. Must be some good stuff

I like your thinking, but Nintendo being confident either means it's a really good lineup or it's a really bad lineup that Nintendo overestimated. Hopefully the former

I still remember the days when we thought Retro's experience with Mario Kart and Diddy missing from Mario Kart 8 meant Retro could be making Diddy Kong Racing 2.

I miss that era where people thought Retro was going to be the new Rare.

My unsubstantiated prediction - Raretro is doing 2 games. There's a third Donkey Kong Country game from them, which was completed a while ago but was being held back for polishing. Then there's the "unexpected revival" - which I guess will be F-Zero or Star Fox. Or both in the same game.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My unsubstantiated prediction - Rare is doing 2 games. There's a third Donkey Kong Country game from them, which was completed a while ago but was being held back for polishing. Then there's the "unexpected revival" - which I guess will be F-Zero or Star Fox. Or both in the same game.
Microsoft going third party confirmed!

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
As someone who had a Wii U with pretty much every significant game and didn't get a Switch until early this year, the last few months have been insofar a mild disappointment in that they've made some mistakes that could have been avoided.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 didn't have to come out in 2017 and frankly speaking it was released in a state that is near unacceptable. In a year where they had BotW, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and MK8D, that still keep selling great, this would have benefitted from a couple more months in the oven for a March 2018 release. One of the many 2018 ports could have taken its place instead. Speaking of which, the way they've been handling their ports hasn't been the greatest. Mario Kart 8 DX and Pokkén DX were neat last year. This year just has a ton of ports (Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad) with 4 of them coming out in the first half. It isn't just that but Hyrule Warriors is coming out two months after the Japanese release and Tropical Freeze is just a very barebones port with a minor addition.

The larger problem I see with H1 2018 software, however, is that they've failed to provide experiences to keep one engaged for longer than a couple of weeks, except maybe Labo. Many of their 2017 games had frequent updates that kept you coming back. BotW, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2... some of them are still getting updates. The characters in Kirby are cool but I don't think they even begin to compare. Mario Tennis Aces is the first game of that kind this year. Smash, Fire Emblem and hopefully Pokémon will follow later this year and that's nice.

So for this E3 and their 2018 schedule I am not expecting many surprises. Maybe one unexpected 2018 release.

Yeah I kinda agree I wish XC2 came in March or April. I was so overwhelmed with Odyssey and Zelda DLC that I completely skipped the game and I'm just now getting to it last month. I think I'm going to finally dip my toes in some more indie games to hold me off. The next game I'm looking forward to in this schedule (as a Wii U owner who owns all 1st party exclusives) is Mario Tennis and Project Octopath

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Pokemon is my favorite franchise, animal Crossing is my 2nd, but am I the only one who kinda wants Pokémon in 2019 over 2018??

I'd rather AC this year over Pokémon. new leaf was in 2012 and Pokémon needs a little more time since it's such a huge jump from 20 years on handheld to The big screen

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but think a casual game will be revealed for Switch be it Switch Sports or Amiibo land game of some kind. Unless a 2D Mario game fits that for Nintendo.

ABEZ23

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
OK where are the Nintendo Rumors for E3? Those threads are the best!! I havent seen anything!!! not even on reddit...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is my favorite franchise, animal Crossing is my 2nd, but am I the only one who kinda wants Pokémon in 2019 over 2018??

I'd rather AC this year over Pokémon. new leaf was in 2012 and Pokémon needs a little more time since it's such a huge jump from 20 years on handheld to The big screen
I agree, especially if pokemon is just gen 1 remakes.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we look at the LinkedIn info of the writers it's making more sense that it could be F-Zero. "Cinematic", "world building", "character development, "non-linear storytelling" would fit an F-Zero reboot. Also, online for the races.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If we look at the LinkedIn info of the writers it's making more sense that it could be F-Zero. "Cinematic", "world building", "character development, "non-linear storytelling" would fit an F-Zero reboot. Also, online for the races.

That seems like a huge stretch. If it is a reboot that barely has any resemblance to the original game(s) anyway, it could be literally anything.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That seems like a huge stretch. If it is a reboot that barely has any resemblance to the original game(s) anyway, it could be literally anything.
Emily said it's an old IP in a new genre and she wasn't sure how people would react. There's only a few Nintendo IP's that would make Emily wonder how they would react and F-Zero is one of them.

Then today Liam on his podcast said NLG wouldn't make an F-Zero game because of the rumors out there that he seems to know about.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Emily said it's an old IP in a new genre and she wasn't sure how people would react. There's only a few Nintendo IP's that would make Emily wonder how they would react and F-Zero is one of them.

Then today Liam on his podcast said NLG wouldn't make an F-Zero game because of the rumors out there that he seems to know about.

You're combining two rumours that are shaky at best.

So Retro's F-Zero is in a new genre but the online component is still racing based so it's still like regular F-Zero after all? I mean, sure...

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
3DS wise, I think the 3DS remakes of VB Wario Land and Link's Awakening are real, and that's probably going to piss off a ton of people, but Nintendo has made it abundantly clear that 3DS isn't going anywhere, so more remakes alongside Bowser's Inside Story and Luigi's Mansion do make sense.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3DS wise, I think the 3DS remakes of VB Wario Land and Link's Awakening are real, and probably going to piss off a ton of people, but Nintendo has made it abundantly clear that 3DS isn't going anywhere, so more remakes alongside Bowser's Inside Story and Luigi's Mansion do make sense.
Please no. I need every Zelda game on Switch from now on.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017

So Nintendo is starting to hire level designers and planners for Legend of Zelda series.
I wonder if we'll get anything at E3, perhaps just a mention that it's in development a la MP4?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I've convinced myself that Xeno X port is a sure thing that when it doesn't happen I'll be crushed >_<

I'm really like Chronicles 2 you see... :(

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So Nintendo is starting to hire level designers and planners for Legend of Zelda series.
I wonder if we'll get anything at E3, perhaps just a mention that it's in development a la MP4?

Probably nothing in particular for this so early. Though I'm thinking we can expect a new Zelda in general to release this year, possibly the Link's Awakening remake.

But man I'm super hyped for the next big entry. They've laid such a fantastic foundation in BotW that's just begging to be explored to ridiculous new depths. It's gonna be amazing.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're combining two rumours that are shaky at best.

So Retro's F-Zero is in a new genre but the online component is still racing based so it's still like regular F-Zero after all? I mean, sure...

The online may not be racing. I just added that part. My takeaway from Liam is F-Zero is being made and I guess he commented more in other parts of his podcast, but I haven't listened to all of it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, "F-Zero should stop being a racing game" is one of my least favorite takes in all of fandom.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

MP4 and Pokemon were very specific announcements and they were mostly done to stop shitstorm because Metroid and Pokemon were announced for 3DS and not for Switch, so dont expect similar kind announcements (only confirmation that game is in development or logo) in any case, especially for Zelda becuse we already have one Zelda on Switch so they dont need to rush reveal for next Zelda project.

Deleted member 3769

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liam Robertson was like "maybe Next Level Games will revive F-Zero... But maybe there won't be another F-Zero coming if the rumors that we've heard are true."

And then later they talked about Retro Studios rumors :)

Liam blew it big time with the Google Console but credible people seem to think his sources here are good, sooooo, that's what I'm going with.
Where did liam talk about this?Podcast?