• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
GoNNER is fantastic, but the difficulty wore me out. I kept trying to figure out if I was losing because of strategy, then I got better, and then I met the first boss and gave up.

There is something addicting about the game, but the incentive the continue does being to wear on you after a while.

Deleted member 59

I'm the complete opposite, looks great to me!

Not much scheduled on the eShop or retail that interests me (yet) but my backlog is huge anyway so I'll be attacking that in April (probably aim to start/finish Steamworld Heist, Ocean Horn, The End is Nigh).

Nintendo only having Labo for April was always very disappointing for me. Roll on retail in May!

Machiavelli

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Interested in 3 games this month.

Masters of Anima
The Adventure Pals
Urban Trial Playgrounds

I am not sure about getting the Urban Trial Playgrounds though.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
If you missed Runbow previously, definitely pick it up when it releases on Switch. Or wait for the physical version a couple months from now. Regardless, the game is a lot of fun, creative, and a blast with friends and even in solo play!

Oct 26, 2017
March was murder on my wallet - bought 10 games, must have spent $150!

A lot of them weren't even new releases either!

My surprise of the month is No Thing.
If you like weird indie games just buy it, it's like $2.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
2064 and Light Fall have my attention so far. Both look awesome in different ways. I want more games with retro 2d pixel graphics like 2064 that aren't 2d platformers.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
The good news is that Sekai Project is publishing for Switch too. Rabi-Ribi and Nekopara were announced for other publishers.
I hope they try to bring some big VNs like World End Economica or Clannad.
I think you missed Infernium, coming April 5th

As to myself will be getting South Park, and Infernium if it turns out good.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I can has first page?! I've beaten Blossom Tales & I Am Setsuna last month and this morning, moving on to Lost Sphear or Thimbleweed hmmmm

Oct 26, 2017
Aaaaand just made my first purchase of the month in Lego City Undercover for 11 bucks after using the gold points discount and the sale ending today.

First time purchasing from Nintendo's website so we'll see if it's downloaded and ready when I get home.

Too bad I missed the sale on Thimblweed Park, hopefully it'll be on sale again soon!

Now for the real dilemma in April: how badly do I want to dress up as a cardboard robot?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Interested in Penny-Punching Princess, Streets of Red, 2064, Bombslinger, Neo Atlas 1469, Pirate Pop Plus and Wild Guns.

For retro games Dragon Blaze, Ghost Pilots and Ninja Kid.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I haven't seen this posted, but 'Boost Beast' is for the first time since its release at sale with a 25% discount.

boost-beast-1.jpg

People, don't sleep on this puzzle masterpiece. It's to the match 3 genre, the same frantic and genre defining take of 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'.

The game is made by the Japanese company Arzest, that was funded by original members of the Sonic Team. They were in Sega in the glorious golden age of 'Chu Chu Rocket!' and most importantly, the early attempts of the Sonic Team developing the 'Puyo Puyo' franchise.

All of this expertise designing frantic, colorful and high octane puzzle games with a perfect design, is showed in 'Boost Beast' like in no other game.

And before that you say that all of the games of Arzest until this day were mostly disappointments, hear me, I will give you the reason in this point.

As a long term Sega fan who still miss the Dreamcast glory days, Arzest have made disappointing games one after another, and they have ruined the 'Yoshi' franchise with mediocre entries.

But this is a case like 'Sonic Forces' and 'Puyo Puyo Tetris', both of them released the last year in Switch, and both of them created by the Sonic Team. The first one other terrible entry in the Sonic franchise, but with the second being one of these rare masterpieces in the video game medium that deserves a perfect 10/10 score.

And if you felt disappointed with 'Hey! PIKMIN', I have good news. Like Sonic Team last year, Arzest also released a perfect 10/10 game with 'Boost Beast'.

Why you should buy 'Boost Beast' NOW?

1366_2000.jpg

1. Back in the Dreamcast an Playstation 2 era, Japanese puzzle games had a distinctive and sophisticated look through their graphic design. They were museum pieces that should be exhibited in any graphic designer's handbook. I can think in games such as 'Mr. Driller', 'Chu Chu Rocket!'. 'Boost Beast' is a love letter to this era of innovative graphic design with colorful characters created with simple yet charismatic designs, with distinctive UIs and typographies.

2. This is the best match 3 puzzle game made since the original 'Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords', period. But instead of focusing in the RPG mechanics, it creates a story mode with hundred of small levels with a flashy arcade focus, a perfect balance and a challenging and very satisfactory difficulty curve through more than 200 levels.

3. This game has been created by a team who comes from the most glorious period in the Sega arcade era. Every single aspect, from the music, the sound design, how immensely satisfactory are the controls, it elevates the match 3 gente to new peaks. I'm talking about production values. After playing this game, if you try to return back to other puzzle match 3 games, it will feel like playing 'Tetris Ultimate', yes, that TETRIS Ubi Soft game, after having played 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'.

4. This game is as addictive as cocaine, and it should be banned from Australia and Germany, maintaining the game far from the kids and your pets. Say goodbye to your life if you dare to start the game for a 10 minutes quick playing session. If you look to your clock, you will see that 5 fucking hours have passed. It's sooooo well balanced that if you try to master its complex scoring system to achieve a 3 stars rank in every level, you will be absorbed for the next weeks without thinking in any other different thing to this game.

5. Tons of different variants in each panel, the constant inclusion of new gimmicks and blocks, crazy layouts, refined combat sections forcing you to create elaborated strategies. Don't be fooled by reading match 3 puzzle, and thinking well, it's sound cool, but match 3 games are simple games, or repetitive games. This bastard will surprise you.

6. You are a cool person. You are reading the coolest thread in Resetera. You are not waiting to play 'Far Cry 5' this month, and instead you are looking for the next Japanese cult classic and hidden gem, the game that in the next decade you will cite in a video game forum, and a bunch of crazy people will smile saying, «oh, this was one of my favorite games back in the day, and it deserves much more love».

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
'Gonner' is an absolute masterpiece in the roguelike genre, but it's also a super-hard, like really super-hard game, not joking here, it demands a lot of patience from the player plus the reflexes of a ninja.

Even with its difficulty, I can say that it's one of the essential indie titles in the last years thanks to its fascinating sound design and distinctive art style.

While it's a game that I personally love, it's also a moderate recommendation from my part. A lot of players will abandon the game in the first hour, due to its extreme level of challenge.
GoNNER is really fun but its fucking hard. I couldn't finish it. I may return one day though.

Thanks for the replies. I'll pass then. Already got Enter the Gungeon kicking my ass.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
My surprise of the month is No Thing.
If you like weird indie games just buy it, it's like $2.

'No Thing' is fucking 60s beat poetry. It's like the lovechild of a heavy overuse of psychedelic mushrooms taken from a 'Super Mario Bros' hack, mixed with Allen Ginsberg's 'Howl'.

I'm glad that you enjoyed this game, not very surprising by looking at your avatar :)

If you combine this game in your playing sessions with 'Thumper' and 'ATOMIK: RunGunJumpGun', you will save tons of money in drugs.

And you will be able to create a thread in Resetera under the name How Nintendo Switch saved my life helping me to reduce the consume of drugs.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Man finally a reimagination of Wings of Fury .... but it doesn't look great :(

Don't sleep on 'Rogue Aces'. It's made by one of the greatest British indie development teams, specialized in scoring attack arcade games. The games from Infinite State Games can look like cheap attempts by looking at their graphic design, but they are fine tuned masterpieces in the design of their patterns and scoring mechanics.

This game looks like 'Luftrausers' on steroids and a love letter to Vlambeer creations.

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dandara, what was the general vibe on this? I am weighing up what new Switch game to start playing tonight and it's between

Dandara
Golf Story
Owlboy
FE

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So checking my mail I just noticed I bought sengoku 3 yesterday before I went to bed.

I was way more drunk than what I was thinking.
Game is cool though, could have been worse. And the few gold coins I had left would have expired.

Oct 26, 2017
'No Thing' is fucking 60s beat poetry. It's like the lovechild of a heavy overuse of psychedelic mushrooms taken from a 'Super Mario Bros' hack, mixed with Allen Ginsberg's 'Howl'.

I'm glad that you enjoyed this game, not very surprising by looking at your avatar :)

If you combine this game in your playing sessions with 'Thumper' and 'ATOMIK: RunGunJumpGun', you will save tons of money in drugs.

And you will be able to create a thread in Resetera under the name How Nintendo Switch saved my life helping me to reduce the consume of drugs.

Yep, I've been playing it alongside Thumper and it's tremendously helped me improve at the latter!

Here's my post about the game from the previous thread. Says it all really:

Your shoes are shining but I know who you are I am not on your side I am you and in you now I know that is strange the air went bad you do not want and I have the same look at your face look at your hands I know what you did and so knows the queen you are simple message I am your stamp the rebels are talking too much of us that girl did you see old man's hand turn and turn not so fast her dress was white your blood was rose buildings around us want your eyes but you do not know how to shine.

Oct 27, 2017
Another thread, another month of WHERE'S DRAGON MARKED FOR DEATH motherfuckers.

Now that they're done that creepy ass Gal Gun game, Inti-Creates better get dis shit out as soon as possible.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I haven't seen this posted, but 'Boost Beast' is for the first time since its release at sale with a 25% discount.

boost-beast-1.jpg

People, don't sleep on this puzzle masterpiece. It's to the match 3 genre, the same frantic and genre defining take of 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'.

The game is made by the Japanese company Arzest, that was funded by original members of the Sonic Team. They were in Sega in the glorious golden age of 'Chu Chu Rocket!' and most importantly, the early attempts of the Sonic Team developing the 'Puyo Puyo' franchise.

All of this expertise designing frantic, colorful and high octane puzzle games with a perfect design, is showed in 'Boost Beast' like in no other game.

And before that you say that all of the games of Arzest until this day were mostly disappointments, hear me, I will give you the reason in this point.

As a long term Sega fan who still miss the Dreamcast glory days, Arzest have made disappointing games one after another, and they have ruined the 'Yoshi' franchise with mediocre entries.

But this is a case like 'Sonic Forces' and 'Puyo Puyo Tetris', both of them released the last year in Switch, and both of them created by the Sonic Team. The first one other terrible entry in the Sonic franchise, but with the second being one of these rare masterpieces in the video game medium that deserves a perfect 10/10 score.

And if you felt disappointed with 'Hey! PIKMIN', I have good news. Like Sonic Team last year, Arzest also released a perfect 10/10 game with 'Boost Beast'.

Why you should buy 'Boost Beast' NOW?

1366_2000.jpg

1. Back in the Dreamcast an Playstation 2 era, Japanese puzzle games had a distinctive and sophisticated look through their graphic design. They were museum pieces that should be exhibited in any graphic designer's handbook. I can think in games such as 'Mr. Driller', 'Chu Chu Rocket!'. 'Boost Beast' is a love letter to this era of innovative graphic design with colorful characters created with simple yet charismatic designs, with distinctive UIs and typographies.

2. This is the best match 3 puzzle game made since the original 'Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords', period. But instead of focusing in the RPG mechanics, it creates a story mode with hundred of small levels with a flashy arcade focus, a perfect balance and a challenging and very satisfactory difficulty curve through more than 200 levels.

3. This game has been created by a team who comes from the most glorious period in the Sega arcade era. Every single aspect, from the music, the sound design, how immensely satisfactory are the controls, it elevates the match 3 gente to new peaks. I'm talking about production values. After playing this game, if you try to return back to other puzzle match 3 games, it will feel like playing 'Tetris Ultimate', yes, that TETRIS Ubi Soft game, after having played 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'.

4. This game is as addictive as cocaine, and it should be banned from Australia and Germany, maintaining the game far from the kids and your pets. Say goodbye to your life if you dare to start the game for a 10 minutes quick playing session. If you look to your clock, you will see that 5 fucking hours have passed. It's sooooo well balanced that if you try to master its complex scoring system to achieve a 3 stars rank in every level, you will be absorbed for the next weeks without thinking in any other different thing to this game.

5. Tons of different variants in each panel, the constant inclusion of new gimmicks and blocks, crazy layouts, refined combat sections forcing you to create elaborated strategies. Don't be fooled by reading match 3 puzzle, and thinking well, it's sound cool, but match 3 games are simple games, or repetitive games. This bastard will surprise you.

6. You are a cool person. You are reading the coolest thread in Resetera. You are not waiting to play 'Far Cry 5' this month, and instead you are looking for the next Japanese cult classic and hidden gem, the game that in the next decade you will cite in a video game forum, and a bunch of crazy people will smile saying, «oh, this was one of my favorite games back in the day, and it deserves much more love».
I might need to get this one, puzzle games are always a good investment.

Surprised that you didn't mention Baku Baku animal as I thought that would be the most obvious reference.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Also, before this thread I had no idea Artdink was releasing Neo Atlas 1469 in english and self publishing it in the west! And doing a little more research they've already released the english version on Steam too!

Hopefully we'll get A-Train and Carnage Heart in the future as well. Maybe even Lunatic Dawn in english at long last.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone playing Punch-Out beaten Kid Quick? He keeps winning by time out. I can barely knock him down twice before time runs out. =_=

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I might need to get this one, puzzle games are always a good investment.

Surprised that you didn't mention Baku Baku animal as I thought that would be the most obvious reference.

You are my man, and I love you, because the Saturn version of 'Baku Baku Animal' is one of my all-time favorite puzzle games :)

All of that said, this game has completely different mechanics.

And as much as I love 'Baku Baku Animal', I don't consider its artistic design as a part of this Japanese trend in the early 2000s, when they created some of the best UIs and graphic designs in video game history. With Namco, Sega and Grasshopper being amongst the most brilliant examples in this trend looking to the western advancements regarding the graphic design used by publicity agencies, in videoclips or in the type of sophisticated branding. While not a Japanese game, I'm also thinking in the logo designs in the first 'WipeOut' for Playstation :)

Has anyone playing Punch-Out beaten Kid Quick? He keeps winning by time out. I can barely knock him down twice before time runs out. =_=

Nope, Bald Bull is kicking my ass :)

Also, before this thread I had no idea Artdink was releasing Neo Atlas 1469 in english and self publishing it in the west! And doing a little more research they've already released the english version on Steam too!

Hopefully we'll get A-Train and Carnage Heart in the future as well. Maybe even Lunatic Dawn in english at long last.

'Neo Atlas 1469' is amongst my most hyped releases. But I'm a bit sad of seeing a psychical tax applied to the Switch eShop version. Because this game is also released in Japan in psychical form, they have priced the digital version at the same price that this version. That is more expensive than the Steam version of the game. It's not cool being a 100% digital owner, to be forced to use my money to pay the manufacturing costs of this psychical edition.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
'Neo Atlas 1469' is amongst my most hyped releases. But I'm a bit sad of seeing a psychical tax applied to the Switch eShop version. Because this game is also released in Japan in psychical form, they have priced the digital version at the same price that this version. That is more expensive than the Steam version of the game. It's not cool being a 100% digital owner, to be forced to use my money to pay the manufacturing costs of this psychical edition.
I'm trying to say this without sounding like a "well, actually" smarty pants but I don't know how so I'll just point it out in the spirit of helping you along with some of those English quirks: it's physical (like fizzy) [from physics), psychical (like cycle) is not a word but sounds like an offshoot of psychology (sort of the opposite of physical things^^). Let me know if this is too much lecturing and I'll not do it again^^

That said, ArtDink's output also excites me a lot. Loved that they managed to bring A-Train 3D out worldwide.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm trying to say this without sounding like a "well, actually" smarty pants but I don't know how so I'll just point it out in the spirit of helping you along with some of those English quirks: it's physical (like fizzy) [from physics), psychical (like cycle) is not a word but sounds like an offshoot of psychology (sort of the opposite of physical things^^). Let me know if this is too much lecturing and I'll not do it again^^

That said, ArtDink's output also excites me a lot. Loved that they managed to bring A-Train 3D out worldwide.

Don't worry, this helps me to improve my English :)

And by the way, other of my most expected releases is 'Happy Birthdays', because of how close it feels to Artdink output in the first Playstation.

I really miss this weird Japanese stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry, this helps me to improve my English :)

And by the way, other of my most expected releases is 'Happy Birthdays', because of how close it feels to Artdink output in the first Playstation.

I really miss this weird Japanese stuff.
Just a warning - I downloaded the demo for Happy Birthdays from the Japanese eshop and was playing for a short while when my Switch froze for the first time ever. At first I couldn't turn it off which worried me. Only after holding the power button down for 20 seconds as recommend online did I get it to shut down, then power up normally. Doesn't look like any data was corrupted but I deleted the demo just to be on the safe side.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Just a warning - I downloaded the demo for Happy Birthdays from the Japanese eshop and was playing for a short while when my Switch froze for the first time ever. At first I couldn't turn it off which worried me. Only after holding the power button down for 20 seconds as recommend online did I get it to shut down, then power up normally. Doesn't look like any data was corrupted but I deleted the demo just to be on the safe side.

This is weird, I think that I only experimented a similar crash with 'Breath of the Wild' in my 235 hours playthrough, forcing me to do a reboot by pushing the power button 20 seconds.

It's very common to see crashes in contemporary games nowadays. I'm looking at 'Mario+Rabbids', I abandoned this bastard in the third world, after being frustrated of losing my progress in some really long combats. But it's not as habitual to see crashes freezing the whole system.

All of that said, even Nintendo games have these type of problems. So I will not give too much importance to this, as soon as it's not a normalized thing.

As a curiosity, a friend of mine experimented a crash with 'Super Mario Odyssey' after his 5 first minutes with the game. While in my 50 hours of playtime with Odyssey, I didn't see a single crash.

I even think that some of these random crashes are due to the operating system, instead of the games.

With the exception of games made with Unity. These bastards are crashing constantly, most of them.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think you missed Infernium, coming April 5th

As to myself will be getting South Park, and Infernium if it turns out good.

Additionally, Masters of Anima also looks interesting (same as Infernum, depending on how good it will actually turn out).

And as someone else mentioned, I expect Battlechasers for Switch to finally come out, either this month or the next at the latest.

Oct 26, 2017
Epilexia: You might very well be right about it having more to do with the operating system.

I intend to give Happy Birthdays another try when it releases in the west as the gameplay is very much my style!

It's basically a God Sim for those not familiar.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Dandara, what was the general vibe on this?
I got to the last boss and then dropped it. It's a good Metroidvania, albeit very linear, and IMO best suited for touch controls than for physical controls. They work great for exploration, but moving well under pressure (such as boss fights) is very tricky and frustrating. The difficulty ends up being fairly high as a result. I'd rate it a solid 7/10, but YMMV.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

You made my day! The genre that I miss the most in Switch are Japanese dungeon crawler RPGs.

I hope that this is released before 'Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk' and 'The Lost Child', because I need a Switch equivalent of 'Etrian Odyssey' like yesterday.

By the way, Arc System Works is KILLING with their Switch support.

'Inferno Climber: Reborn', 'Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo', 'Boost Beast', 'Gotcha Racing 2nd', 'Of Mice and Sand - Revised-', 'Radio Hammer Station'...

They are slowly becoming my favorite independent Japanese publisher, focused in small digital releases, but all of them with fascinating things and mechanics.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want the Kunio Collection asap.
Dude, same, I didn't even know it existed until I found a trailer randomly a couple of weeks ago. Good thing is that even if it's not localized (a true localization work sounds pretty hard for this), it's still a pretty solid package all around... Steam and XONE being included as platforms is suspicious tho.

Here's the trailer for anyone curious

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome that Runbow is coming to Switch! We loved playing this online while online was still somewhat alive on Wii U.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Dude, same, I didn't even know it existed until I found a trailer randomly a couple of weeks ago. Good thing is that even if it's not localized (a true localization work sounds pretty hard for this), it's still a pretty solid package all around... Steam and XONE being included as platforms is suspicious tho.

Here's the trailer for anyone curious

Whuuuut. I had no idea. Do want.

Sour

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone help me remember the title of an indie game that was teased a few times over the past 4-6 months.

It was a pixel RPG game that I think had "Moon" in the title. I know it isn't Moon Hunters which is already released (and is kinda meh).

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Can anyone help me remember the title of an indie game that was teased a few times over the past 4-6 months.

It was a pixel RPG game that I think had "Moon" in the title. I know it isn't Moon Hunters which is already released (and is kinda meh).

Moonlighter? Its coming in May

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Nintendo have released their monthly videos featuring the highlighted releases of March in the eShop.

The pretty interesting thing about these videos is that Nintendo is investing a lot of money promoting them. I have seen in the last months these videos featured in ads in Facebook and in some important video game pages such as Destructoid.

So Nintendo is giving with their money an important push in marketing and visibility to the featured indie games.

There are two different videos, with two different selections, one for Europe and the other one for the US.

Here is the selection of games for the Americas:

• Mulaka
  • Subsurface Circular
  • Scribblenauts Showdown
  • Flinthook
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Opus: Rocket of Whispers
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Pokken Tournament DX Battle Pack: Wave 2
  • The Alliance Alive
  • Outlast 2

But much more interesting is in my opinion the selection for Europe. Because they are only focusing in indie titles, without including Nintendo releases.

• Bleed 2
  • Subsurface Circular
  • Last Day of June
  • Detention
  • Flinthook

So happy to see 'Bleed 2' featured as the most important release of March.

Giving that this video will be showed in ads in some of the most important webs, this implies a sales boost for these games.

Amazing work from Nintendo promoting the indie scene. Things like these make me love my Switch.