• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Wild Guns Reloaded is mine.
If you missed Runbow previously, definitely pick it up when it releases on Switch. Or wait for the physical version a couple months from now. Regardless, the game is a lot of fun, creative, and a blast with friends and even in solo play!
Will it have color master though? That can't be possible on anything other than Wii U I thought.

Deleted member 59

ImI Totally going to be playing Okami with touch screen controls

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks people. I don't deserve so much praise. Only I dedicate some time to the OP, the main content of the thread is your posts with news, opinions and reviews of the games.

Two-Dewgongs-Crying-Happy-Tears-On-Pokemon.gif

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen this posted, but 'Boost Beast' is for the first time since its release at sale with a 25% discount.

boost-beast-1.jpg

People, don't sleep on this puzzle masterpiece. It's to the match 3 genre, the same frantic and genre defining take of 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'.

The game is made by the Japanese company Arzest, that was funded by original members of the Sonic Team. They were in Sega in the glorious golden age of 'Chu Chu Rocket!' and most importantly, the early attempts of the Sonic Team developing the 'Puyo Puyo' franchise.

All of this expertise designing frantic, colorful and high octane puzzle games with a perfect design, is showed in 'Boost Beast' like in no other game.

And before that you say that all of the games of Arzest until this day were mostly disappointments, hear me, I will give you the reason in this point.

As a long term Sega fan who still miss the Dreamcast glory days, Arzest have made disappointing games one after another, and they have ruined the 'Yoshi' franchise with mediocre entries.

But this is a case like 'Sonic Forces' and 'Puyo Puyo Tetris', both of them released the last year in Switch, and both of them created by the Sonic Team. The first one other terrible entry in the Sonic franchise, but with the second being one of these rare masterpieces in the video game medium that deserves a perfect 10/10 score.

And if you felt disappointed with 'Hey! PIKMIN', I have good news. Like Sonic Team last year, Arzest also released a perfect 10/10 game with 'Boost Beast'.

Why you should buy 'Boost Beast' NOW?

1366_2000.jpg

1. Back in the Dreamcast an Playstation 2 era, Japanese puzzle games had a distinctive and sophisticated look through their graphic design. They were museum pieces that should be exhibited in any graphic designer's handbook. I can think in games such as 'Mr. Driller', 'Chu Chu Rocket!'. 'Boost Beast' is a love letter to this era of innovative graphic design with colorful characters created with simple yet charismatic designs, with distinctive UIs and typographies.

2. This is the best match 3 puzzle game made since the original 'Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords', period. But instead of focusing in the RPG mechanics, it creates a story mode with hundred of small levels with a flashy arcade focus, a perfect balance and a challenging and very satisfactory difficulty curve through more than 200 levels.

3. This game has been created by a team who comes from the most glorious period in the Sega arcade era. Every single aspect, from the music, the sound design, how immensely satisfactory are the controls, it elevates the match 3 gente to new peaks. I'm talking about production values. After playing this game, if you try to return back to other puzzle match 3 games, it will feel like playing 'Tetris Ultimate', yes, that TETRIS Ubi Soft game, after having played 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'.

4. This game is as addictive as cocaine, and it should be banned from Australia and Germany, maintaining the game far from the kids and your pets. Say goodbye to your life if you dare to start the game for a 10 minutes quick playing session. If you look to your clock, you will see that 5 fucking hours have passed. It's sooooo well balanced that if you try to master its complex scoring system to achieve a 3 stars rank in every level, you will be absorbed for the next weeks without thinking in any other different thing to this game.

5. Tons of different variants in each panel, the constant inclusion of new gimmicks and blocks, crazy layouts, refined combat sections forcing you to create elaborated strategies. Don't be fooled by reading match 3 puzzle, and thinking well, it's sound cool, but match 3 games are simple games, or repetitive games. This bastard will surprise you.

6. You are a cool person. You are reading the coolest thread in Resetera. You are not waiting to play 'Far Cry 5' this month, and instead you are looking for the next Japanese cult classic and hidden gem, the game that in the next decade you will cite in a video game forum, and a bunch of crazy people will smile saying, «oh, this was one of my favorite games back in the day, and it deserves much more love».
Okay, you have my attention. Imma check this out.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of its length and developer, Okami truly is an eShop game, since there is no physical version for the Switch.

But I don't think this is coming on April (or is it?).

Ah sorry, I didn't mean to suggest it as a highlighted April release. Just wanted to post the video since it's the first time we've gotten a good look at the touch controls if I'm not mistaken.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the word on Xeodrifter and Xenoraid? Both are on sale and look sufficiently interesting, specially Xeodrifter.

tolkir: great work, as always!
I played Xeodrifter back on the 3DS and it's a pretty solid if a bit short Metroid-like, it's around 2 hours long and maybe a bit more depending on skill. It lets you choose between a selection of different planets so you can play each level in whatever order you like, they're all maze-like and have their own boss (although you always fight the same boss except with different variations of abilities and raw power, like in Metroid II).

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome intro plays for Penny-Punching Princess:

As for review the game is a bit grindy, but still an addicting one. The bribe system is awesome, and felt like a strong mechanic if further developed.
Not sure about the $40 price though, but personally I had my share of fun.

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I played Xeodrifter back on the 3DS and it's a pretty solid if a bit short Metroid-like, it's around 2 hours long and maybe a bit more depending on skill. It lets you choose between a selection of different planets so you can play each level in whatever order you like, they're all maze-like and have their own boss (although you always fight the same boss except with different variations of abilities and raw power, like in Metroid II).

Thanks! I love the Metroid formula and the price is great, so I might as well pick it up.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
This is the dedicated thread. But every month a new one is created, and the one from the previous month is closed and archived.

new month, new thread. been a thing for years.
Yeah, I thought there was a vote but I think I'm miss-remembering what it was for. It might have been that we keep having dedicated threads rather than eshop news. My mistake.

To stay relevant, I tried Crawl tonight (finally!) and it's super duper fun. Love that style of gameplay for local fun.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Ghost Pilots. That and Toki were pretty much a guarantee on every episode of Nick Arcade.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My solid April picks. There will certainly be many others. But waiting on impressions and reviews.
  • 03 - Penny-Punching Princess (physical)
  • 10 - Masters of Anima
  • 24 - Runbow
  • ?? - Light Fall

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks people. I don't deserve so much praise. Only I dedicate some time to the OP, the main content of the thread is your posts with news, opinions and reviews of the games.

By FAR my favourite thread on here. Although I hold you personally responsible for my shocking spending habits lol

Keep up the amazing work and thanks to all posters for their opinions!

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was just posted on the South African news channel that Nintendo published games are getting a price increase starting April 6th. Reasons stated are recent VAT increases in South Africa. Just a heads up.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

This is a sacred cow thread for me, thanks to your work. Like the other guy said, though, my pockets have been considerably lighter because of you lol

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
But I don't think this is coming on April (or is it?).
Ah sorry, I didn't mean to suggest it as a highlighted April release.
We don't just have to talk about April games in the April thread :D

It was just posted on the South African news channel that Nintendo published games are getting a price increase starting April 6th. Reasons stated are recent VAT increases in South Africa. Just a heads up.
Been getting errors when trying to buy something all weekend so I knew something was up.
Even though I know they won't prevent region switching at this stage I still got incredibly paranoid that it was all over.

Norway has been cheaper than South Africa for a few months now I think.
For pretty much everything except first party Nintendo games so this is a huge shame actually :(

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So now I need a Norway account too? Juggling all these accounts is annoying.

totally worth it tho

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Dude, same, I didn't even know it existed until I found a trailer randomly a couple of weeks ago. Good thing is that even if it's not localized (a true localization work sounds pretty hard for this), it's still a pretty solid package all around... Steam and XONE being included as platforms is suspicious tho.

Here's the trailer for anyone curious

Yeah, the fact that it's Steam and Xbox bound too, as well as including the western Kunio games, sort of gives away that they'll release it in the west too. I hope ASW goes all out and localizes some of the Famicom games (at least Technos Samurai). It's too bad they couldn't include Nintendo World Cup either for obvious reasons.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that was probably far more work than the alternative would ever be
Not really. It's not like I never use them, either. I love browsing the US eShop for example even if I've never bought anything there. Same with say Australia.

Having to log into My Nintendo (which I think is horrible) everytime I want to buy something or check an eShop on a whim sounds like way bigger hazzle. This is do it once and it's done.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Seeing the foreign e-shop talk above I figured I'd ask my question here. Saw the Manhattan Requiem detective game on the Japenese e-shop is for sale for 600 yen and has a full English-language option. Couldn't get my Paypal or North American credit card to work, checked the Japanese Amazon website and they don't seem to be selling a code for the download. Any advice on how I may be able to pay for this game easily?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the foreign e-shop talk above I figured I'd ask my question here. Saw the Manhattan Requiem detective game on the Japenese e-shop is for sale for 600 yen and has a full English-language option. Couldn't get my Paypal or North American credit card to work, checked the Japanese Amazon website and they don't seem to be selling a code for the download. Any advice on how I may be able to pay for this game easily?
Japanese eShop cards.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.play-asia.com/nintendo-eshop-card-1000-yen-japan-account/13/704a2v

The price is a little inflated but it's a trustworthy web.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
https://www.play-asia.com/search/eshop

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

Three things for your consideration:

1. You can buy Japanese eShop cards in Playasia. But they are pricey. I also have found a web under the name of Seagm that sell these cards at a much lower price. But contrary to Playasia, I have never purchased eShop cards from them, so make this at your own risk. I can say that I have read good experiences from other customers, thought.

https://www.seagm.com/es/nintendo-wii-3ds-eshop-prepaid-card-japan

2. If you will use the same account for your purchases, take into account that if you have a single yen remaining in your account, you will lost this money once you change your region to your original country. So you have two options. To create a dedicated account only for your Japanese purchases, but you will have your digital library between two different accounts. Or better buy a 3000 Yen card instead, an also purchase 'L.F.O. -Lost Future Omega-' and 'Kyogeki Quartet Fighters', two exclusive Japanese releases. Or any combination of eShop cards and games in which you will not lose too many yens once you change the region to your original country.

3. You have the most fucking glorious avatar in Resetera. And every time that you post something, I remain hypnotized seeing your image. And that is the most important point from all the three that I have listed.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Three things for your consideration:

1. You can buy Japanese eShop cards in Playasia. But they are pricey. I also have found a web under the name of Seagm that sell these cards at a much lower price. But contrary to Playasia, I have never purchased eShop cards from them, so make this at your own risk. I can say that I have read good experiences from other customers, thought.

https://www.seagm.com/es/nintendo-wii-3ds-eshop-prepaid-card-japan

2. If you will use the same account for your purchases, take into account that if you have a single yen remaining in your account, you will lost this money once you change your region to your original country. So you have two options. To create a dedicated account only for your Japanese purchases, but you will have your digital library between two different accounts. Or better buy a 3000 Yen card instead, an also purchase 'L.F.O. -Lost Future Omega-' and 'Kyogeki Quartet Fighters', two exclusive Japanese releases. Or any combination of eShop cards and games in which you will not lose too many yens once you change the region to your original country.

3. You have the most fucking glorious avatar in Resetera. And every time that you post something, I remain hypnotized seeing your image. And that is the most important point from all the three that I have listed.

Thanks for all the replies, folks! Looking at PlayAsia a 600 Yen game that should cost me about $7.50 Canadian will be about $20 and I'll have 400 yen left over to use or lose. I'll look into the Seagm link when I'm back home and check out LFO and Kyogeki to gauge if they'd be of any interest. I'll probably wind up splurging on this game, then before I ever get around to playing it it'll get a cheap North American release. I've been thinking I need to start in on the Silver Case on PS4, maybe that'll scratch my detective game itch.

And an even bigger 'thank ya!' for the flattery. Happy Monday everyone!

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nothing for me this month. Currently playing a review code of Urban Trial Playground but that's it. I'm not embargoed so I can say it's not bad, but I probably wouldn't pay more than about £10-12 for it.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This month only Penny-Punching Princess and Gal☆Gun 2 for me. I think that both games will have physical editions, so I will try to buy them.

Last month I got a nice surprise (Enter the Gungeon - Fun, funny and hard) and a bad one (Crypt of the Necrodancer - Interesting concept, but the game is too easy and the OST sucks). Both roguelites. We need more roguelikes instead.