• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, My Time At Portia seems nice for the first 30 mins or so. Some framerate hitches in handheld, there's times where it freezes for a second or two while it loads a menu, but it's not too bad and I think the good will far outweigh the negatives.
Gamespot didn't seem too crazy about it, but Nintendolife liked it a bit more.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Stardew multiplayer kinda soured me on some of the other games since time never stops so you just progress much faster and see more things, but that also indirectly nerfs some money making aspects.

...I say sour me, but more like make me raise how much of a time sink the games are while in waiting to do something

Dec 23, 2017
Looks interesting, but want to know how it runs (framerate and such).

Also, can I freely change from top view to 3rd person?

I'll buy it, though. Sucker for survival games.

(i swear man, I bet you are part of the dev team!!! :P )
Not even a little bit. Just think the game is intriguing trying to get some burn here on era.i have the same question about the camera perspective.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
*finds out the DLC for Travis Strikes Again comes out this Thursday instead of at the end of the month*

Oh god, this is out the same day as Cuphead. The later half of April is just packed for me, especially when I keep forgetting the Smash update is suppose to hopefully maybe possibly is soon, please give us a date Nintendo.

edit: OH MY GOD JOKER & SMASH 3.0 IS TOMORROW AAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Rolling my eyes at the salt over some harmless lists in an eShop enthusiast thread. Jesus H., ya'll, mind your blood pressure.

Anyways, my mid-April eShop impressions are as follows: Senua's Sacrifice is one of the best media experiences I've had in recent years (if Switch is your preferred platform and you haven't played this yet, don't mind the pixel counters -- it's beautiful and worth your time) and Super Weekend Mode is so hard that I'll never, ever see level 9, but it's totally worth the price of a cup of coffee for its arcade twitchiness.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Lovecraft's Untold Stories looks fantastic. I'd never heard of it before seeing the eShop listing. I can't find many reviews of the PC version, but I love the Arkham Files board/card games from Fantasy Flight, so hopefully it delivers something similarly thematic.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Still playing Wargroove. It's so much bigger than I expected it to be!. Last night I played a mission that took me nearly an hour and a half!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm farther into dark souls. I progress steadily, it really ain't that hard; however on top of all the criticism I already expressed about the game, it does a really shit job at explaining you what items are for.
I still believe that it is a vastly overrated game.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm farther into dark souls. I progress steadily, it really ain't that hard; however on top of all the criticism I already expressed about the game, it does a really shit job at explaining you what items are for.
To be fair, you're judging an 8 year-old game by 2019 standards.

That said, I thought a number of things were kind of shitty when I first played it, but there was a lot that grew on me over time. Mostly the trial-and-error when hitting tough areas or bosses, and the feeling of accomplishment derived from getting through it. It was unlike anything I'd played previously.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

I don't like a game =/= overrated. Dark Souls is one of the most studied game this generation, the fact that there's a huge culture around the series means there's a lot more to it than "it's not that good, you guys are just blinded by hype".

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Did it age THAT poorly? That would be quite telling in my opinion.
I mean, probably?

I don't think Dark Souls was up to par with anything more than third-party shovelware from a gameplay perspective even when it had just released. No, there was something else about the game that made it addictive and gave it a soul. It wasn't the gameplay. It was the mysterious world, the feelings of accomplishment, the way the game molded you into playing it a certain way. Lessons that would continue to be useful in later games.

I can't say how I would feel playing Dark Souls today after later FromSoft games have come out with a number of quality-of-life features not present in older games.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm also slowly going through Dark Souls. I can appreciate it for what it is; a 2011 game being played by me in 2019. It's got some weird design choices, but it's obtuse nature is kind of appealing.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that From has only slightly modified the core gameplay of these games (until Sekiro anyway) and how Souls combat is usually among the things it gets praise for will tell you whether the game has aged or not.

Anyway, just finished The World Next Door and that was a pretty unique and charming experience, albeit too short and kind of rushed... I liked the characters gameplay a lot, but the story just sort of ended when it was reaching its climax. Took me about 3 hours, I think, but kept me wishing for more.

It's a strong foundation and it leaves some stuff unresolved, so hopefully it gets a sequel some day.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to get into Dark Souls and co., but with the stress of everyday life, I find it increasingly difficult to find the enthusiasm to play such a stressful game.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So there is a Warhammer ftp card game on the eshop now. I dowloaded it and played the tutorial and another match and its interesting enough.

You can play against the Ai and other people and it has all the trappings of Hearthstone and the ftp mechanics, but I found it fine to play.

Debating in my head whether to keep checking in or just check out now before it gets addictive.

As for the actual the card game, I feel like the mechanics are unique enough, you play heroes and play cards off of the heroes. There are hero abilities and ways to combo the cards etc. It all seems to run fine as well.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
Bought Spintires.

That game is hells good.

Just spent two hours trying to get logs delivered across some russian bogs.

I hear it does not look that well in portable mode, but in docked mode it's p acceptable.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
So there is a Warhammer ftp card game on the eshop now. I dowloaded it and played the tutorial and another match and its interesting enough.

You can play against the Ai and other people and it has all the trappings of Hearthstone and the ftp mechanics, but I found it fine to play.

Debating in my head whether to keep checking in or just check out now before it gets addictive.

As for the actual the card game, I feel like the mechanics are unique enough, you play heroes and play cards off of the heroes. There are hero abilities and ways to combo the cards etc. It all seems to run fine as well.

I'm a big Magic The Gathering player, but never got into Warhammer!

Enjoying the game and it's mechanics.

Also, having crossprogress between iOS and Switch is a godsend!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Katana Zero comes out tomorrow and that looks right up my alley. I can't believe I'm not buying Cuphead at launch (saving it for May). I'll still finish Dark Souls also, so I can fully bitch about it on the internet. And I'll also bitch about From Software not bringing current gen games to the system.
After Cuphead, SHakedown Hawaii should feed me until end of may, and I may surprise myself and buy Assassin's Creed III even if I would have preferred black flag; I remember enjoying AC II back in the days. Seems like a fun ride until E3.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'll still finish Dark Souls also, so I can fully bitch about it on the internet.

^_^

Whatever your final opinion on Dark Souls may be, the game is so important and talked about that I would say you're doing the right thing playing it, even if it's only to complain about it in the end. I mean, I hate Super Mario Galaxy, but I just had to play it until the end because you hear about it all the time.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, My Time At Portia seems nice for the first 30 mins or so. Some framerate hitches in handheld, there's times where it freezes for a second or two while it loads a menu, but it's not too bad and I think the good will far outweigh the negatives.

Yeah this is my experience with it as well. I'm really liking it. The biggest issue I think is the absence of the grass that other platforms have but the gameplay is fine. The loading issues were fixed just before launch, so only a long initial load in, but in game is pretty quick. I wound up playing it for a few hours last night when I just intended to give it a short test run.

This game is perfect for handheld!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Lovecraft's Untold Stories looks fantastic. I'd never heard of it before seeing the eShop listing. I can't find many reviews of the PC version, but I love the Arkham Files board/card games from Fantasy Flight, so hopefully it delivers something similarly thematic.

I am right there with you! Looks like a fun adventure.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
*finds out the DLC for Travis Strikes Again comes out this Thursday instead of at the end of the month*

Oh god, this is out the same day as Cuphead. The later half of April is just packed for me, especially when I keep forgetting the Smash update is suppose to hopefully maybe possibly is soon, please give us a date Nintendo.

Travis Strikes Again (physical) is also on a slight sale at BB (34.99) which makes it a decent deal if you still have GCU (only bringing it up because it comes with the season pass).

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

This is good. This should be more than enough to pull me out of the endless cycle of suffering I'm experiencing with Sekiro.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Does anyone know what's going on with Dusk? Wasn't it supposed to release soon after the PC version came out on December 10th of last year? I can't wait to play it, but haven't heard anything since and it's not been featured on a direct as far as I know.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure if I understand what you mean because as far as I remember, the ONLY way to control the camera was through either the right stick or the motions aiming, I don't think it had any auto-centering camera. I did play and beat it on launch so I might have forgotten or it received an update.
Maybe your analog sticks are drifting?

Thanks for the replies guys.
I had thought about the infamous drift (I had it -and got it fixed by Nintendo- thrice now on 2 different joycons) but the way it acted (as I've said kinda autocentering) it didn't seem likely since usually it gets stuck on a direction and keeps going, doesn't usually move slightly and then just stop itself like that.
Also I was playing with HORI's dpad/Mario joycons and I didn't think these models might be affected by the same problems plaguing the official ones. But after doing some checks, yeah it's freakin "analog's drift".
Ugh :(

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
^_^

Whatever your final opinion on Dark Souls may be, the game is so important and talked about that I would say you're doing the right thing playing it, even if it's only to complain about it in the end. I mean, I hate Super Mario Galaxy, but I just had to play it until the end because you hear about it all the time.

That's partly why I will finish it. I like games in general and that one is probably the most influential of the past decade.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys.
I had thought about the infamous drift (I had it -and got it fixed by Nintendo- thrice now on 2 different joycons) but the way it acted (as I've said kinda autocentering) it didn't seem likely since usually it gets stuck on a direction and keeps going, doesn't usually move slightly and then just stop itself like that.
Also I was playing with HORI's dpad/Mario joycons and I didn't think these models might be affected by the same problems plaguing the official ones. But after doing some checks, yeah it's freakin "analog's drift".
Every joycon is susceptible to drifting issues eventually, it's caused by a hardware defect that emerges through wear and tear in the generic stick parts that are used. Some of the effects see short-term improvements via various cleaning methods but the problem is eventually going to return as the contacts on the stick board wears down.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Oh, good to know, thanks for the warning. I was about to buy a Hori dpad because I thought the issue was specific to the original joycons. These babies are pretty expensive here in Brazil (we have to import them and there are heavy taxes), so it's not really worth it for me if I'll need another one next year.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
I don't like a game =/= overrated. Dark Souls is one of the most studied game this generation, the fact that there's a huge culture around the series means there's a lot more to it than "it's not that good, you guys are just blinded by hype".
Be careful, he might just take you into 'fart' territory with this one. Not unlike GRIS.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, good to know, thanks for the warning. I was about to buy a Hori dpad because I thought the issue was specific to the original joycons. These babies are pretty expensive here in Brazil (we have to import them and there are heavy taxes), so it's not really worth it for me if I'll need another one next year.
Every joycon is susceptible to drifting issues eventually, it's caused by a hardware defect that emerges through wear and tear in the generic stick parts that are used. Some of the effects see short-term improvements via various cleaning methods but the problem is eventually going to return as the contacts on the stick board wears down.

Yeah I knew that but I had hoped that somehow Hori's build quality/process might be different enough, and drifting issue on Nintendo's Joycons being much much more present than in any other controller (Dualshock family, Xbox's, Steam...) probably ever, that maybe there was something wrong by design that a 3rd party manufacturer could handle differently if their Joycons are different enough.
Instead it seems you're exactly right, do you think that no Joycon model (1st or 3rd party) will ever be completely unaffected unless there's a change in design for the upcoming Switch "Pro" and "Lite" models?