• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I know this isn't a new issue, but I'm starting to feel genuinely overwhelmed by how many indies I want to play that have come out recently, or coming out soon for this wonderful machine.

I know this isn't a new issue, but I'm starting to feel genuinely overwhelmed by how many FINAL FANTASY GAMES I want to play that have come out recently, or coming out soon for this wonderful machine.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Anyone have thoughts on the Mercenaries strategy rpgs games? I remember people liking the original trilogy on DS
I only played MS2 on 3DS, but I echo the thoughts that there are far better SRPGs on Switch. They are good value and fill the gap, but Into the Breach, Wargroove, even God Wars are better.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
See this video of the PC version starting at the 1:15 mark: https://youtu.be/XXv__SQGucU . He selects a prep station at the top and chooses to make a pie and it randomly selects a Cranberry Pie and shows the ingredients. If he didn't make a Cranberry Pie exactly as shown it would not be servable to anyone and would have to be thrown out and a new pie made. Then he selects the other prep station, chooses to make a pie and it randomly selects a Pecan Pie which he then has to make or it will have to be thrown out. Hope that helps!
Yep! This drove me nuts for a while and couldn't figure out why it kept failing my pretzels.
Then as you said, I realised to keep my eye on the button of the screen and see which it had pre selected for me!

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
So... This game isn't like Overcooked right? I watched the trailer and didn't understand the concept really. But it's co op and fun though?
It's co op and definitely fun! If you like a bit of stress to get out accurate orders to hungry customers you can play it normally or you can do a "Zen shift" where everyone has infinite patience and they'll wait as long as needed for you to get their order complete. I love the insane amount of foods and drinks you can prepare and the varied requests customers have so you're not making the exact same thing over and over. Makes it more challenging and realistic.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Whelp. Just bought both Starlink and Mario + Rabbids definitive edditions.

Couldn't resist that sale.

Dumb thing is I already have too many games to play

Edit: Plus will probably by Labo VR when I get home

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Did Nintendo break their store or something? The usual places I go to see what's newly on sale don't work anymore (like eshop notifier on twitter, stopped updating)

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I bought Hellblade. I've only played like 20 minutes, damn this game is intense! Headphones required! Also the game icon is basically a Windows desktop icon, I'm sure they'll patch it, I hope.

the game is 50% cheaper on another regions eShop. You'll figure it out, if you want to.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I can recommend the Mayflash Magic-NS adapter, which plugs into the USB slot of the Switch dock. I've used it with my Hori RAP4K stick (this stick was made for PS4 and PC compatibility) to play on Switch a few times without issues. I'm a pretty hardcore shmup fan but to be honest, I mostly just play with my Pro controller's shitty d-pad. It's far, far from ideal but I just don't play my Switch docked very much so I don't often get to use my arcade stick. I should probably get the Hori d-pad joycon but I mostly play in tabletop mode and that joycon can't be used wirelessly.

ThankDougie, personally, I would go with option number 2 since Steam and the Switch together have a boatload of great shmups. I'm personally not a Cave fan so there aren't that many shmups that were only ported to XBOX that I would want aside from Radiant Silvergun, Raiden Fighters Aces, and a couple others. Obviously this will depend on your personal taste.

I'm starting to think the same way - I wasn't aware there were a lot of limitations on XBX1 backwards compatibility. I was sort of under the impression that I could just start searching used bins for Xbox titles and pick them up as they appeared. Sort of disappointing that it doesn't work that way.

I get to play at my desk usually once every day or two for around an hour if I wake up early enough and don't have other things to take care of. Having a decent arcade pad would be a lot of fun, especially if I can use it on my PC too. I haven't explored Steam shmups much and it appears a lot of classics are there. Anyway, another user ( Mr_Bubbles ) suggested the RAP 5, so it makes me happy to see that the HORI stuff has a decent reputation among users.

Honestly I own all consoles, I'm hardcore (lol) STGs fan and I consider the Switch as the de facto Shmup console this gen, with PS4 having M2's Shot Triggers juicy exclusives. The vast majority of Xbox 360 godlike shmup library isn't BC so an Xbox One won't do you any good (Raiden Fighters Aces, ALL of Cave's games bar Guwange, XII Stag/Delta Zeal...), you're much better of with an actual J-360 if you want to go down the rabbit hole, otherwise between Switch and Steam you're pretty much fully covered.

As far as arcade sticks, I just use the Magic NS adapter which lets you use basically ANY controller (Xbox360/Xbone/PS3/PS4/PC/WiiU) on Switch with zero perceived latency; I usually hook it up to an HORI RAP4 Kai (PS4/PC) and with a USB female to USB C male cable you can also use it in tabletop mode (love placing the Switch on the Hori stand while in portrait/TATE orientation and hooking up my arcade sticks).

Btw,

here you can find a FULL LIST OF EVERY SHMUP/Run 'n Gun available on Switch, its cost, if it has a retail release, etc...

Nice, thanks man! Could you repost that link though? I'm not sure if I can find that thread on the Shmup board (I guess I should join) and the link you posted is an internal link (it is this one? https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62430).

Having a list of all of them would be super helpful, especially because I think some are only available in the Japanese eShop? There are at least a couple of collections that I think are region specific anyway.

I'm super lucky in that my monitor can switch to a vertical orientation, so I can use Tate mode docked. I'm sort of getting excited just thinking about Danmaku Unlimited 3 using a stick and vertical monitor. Damn, I think I'm gonna do this!

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okay, Moonlighter. Is it worth $25? It looks amazing, I love roguelites and throwing in itemisation and a shop that can also have your gear stolen? Yes please. Is it fun? What's typical length or is it never ending?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Okay, Moonlighter. Is it worth $25? It looks amazing, I love roguelites and throwing in itemisation and a shop that can also have your gear stolen? Yes please. Is it fun? What's typical length or is it never ending?

It's cheaper than that on the US eshop, though (and if you aren't in the US, it at least shows the game gets discounts).

Seems like people here were really mixed on it, like it's fun for the first few hours but then it gets kind of repetitive. At least that's what I gleaned from reading what other people wrote as I tried to figure out if it was worth it myself.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's cheaper than that on the US eshop, though (and if you aren't in the US, it at least shows the game gets discounts).

Seems like people here were really mixed on it, like it's fun for the first few hours but then it gets kind of repetitive. At least that's what I gleaned from reading what other people wrote as I tried to figure out if it was worth it myself.
I'm just really needing something to scratch the itch that Hollow Knight has seeded. I haven't even finished my first run through of the game either.

Actually, what's a good couch co-op game on Switch? My partner and I enjoy playing the lego games but Villains was a huge miss with its messy as heck design so we need something to be pre occupied with but I can't think of anything. Even a good Stardew Valley style game would be good.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
That 'Baba Is You' is 3 hours long is the most ridiculous hot take that I have read in Era in the entire 2019.

Back to the topic of games that we have actually played, the Switch port of 'Gigantic Army' is legit.

NSwitchDS_GiganticArmy_05.jpg

And the best game inspired in 'Cybernator' ever made.

It's basically 'Contra: Hard Corps', but with fucking gigantic mechs.

And I'm using the comparison with 'Contra: Hard Corps' because the game is a bloody orgy of gigantic mid bosses, with the same sense of epicness of Konami's magnum opus.

It's like playing an episode of a space opera, making you feel immersed in a intergalactic scale war, while you see in the horizon other mechs destroying dreadnoughts. They have really nailed the setting of the game.

One of the most gorgeous 2D showcases seen this generation. And running at 60 FPS, it doesn't matter the size or number of sprites and explosions

One of my greatest surprises of this 2019.

And my favorite Astro Port game so far.
This looks really cool. Seems like it could be a bit challenging, but I love these sort of games and they are a rare breed these days.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
PSA about FFX HD: I've been asking people who've gotten physical copies, and they've confirmed that the Switch version does not have the PC version's QoL features (fast forward, encounter toggle, boosters, etc.), which people may have grown used to in all the other Final Fantasy ports.

Incredibly disappointing for me, though I already pre-purchased. Fastforward especially is so invaluable for replaying these lengthy RPGs. Seems like only FFXII might be a relatively perfect version.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Labo VR is arriving today but I haven't even opened Yoshi yet..

There're a handful of indie games I really want to grab during this sale....but an army of Final Fantasy games are already fighting for my time...

Week April 11th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

- Games
  • Slime Tactics - Flyhigh Works - $9.99/€9.99 - 347 MB
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! - Vertigo Gaming - $12.99/€14.39 - 1.0 GB
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Ninja Theory - $29.99/€29.99 - 18.2 GB
  • Super Weekend Mode - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $3.99/€3.99) - 129 MB
  • Out There: Ω The Alliance - Raw Fury - $14.99/€13.00 - 345 MB
    slimetacticst5jl0.jpg
    cookservedelicious2vij3g.jpg
    hellbladesenuassacrifqjk1y.jpg
    superweekendmode6aj5w.jpg
    outtherethealliance19k62.jpg
  • Bot Vice - Dya Games - $9.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: $8.99/€8.99) - 81 MB
  • Switch 'N' Shoot - Matthew Ginaville - $4.59/€3.89 - 97 MB
  • Vaporum - Merge Games - $24.99/€24.99 (Launch sale: $19.99/€19.99) - 2.0 GB
  • Doggie Ninja The Golden Mission - Toydea - $8.00/€6.50 (Launch sale: $5.00/€4.06) - 209 MB
  • Super Star Path - Dya Games - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $3.99/€3.99) - 44 MB
    botvicexmkj6.jpg
    switchnshoot56kjp.jpg
    vaporum7lj6n.jpg
    doggieninjathegoldenmz4k6y.jpg
    superstarpath4ck62.jpg
  • Reigns: Game of Thrones - Devolver Digital - $3.99/€3.99 (Launch sale: $3.39/€3.39) - 465 MB
  • Way of the Passive Fist - $14.99/€12.99 (Launch sale: $11.99/€10.39) - 128 MB
  • A Dark Room - Amir Rajan/Circle Ent. - $6.99/€6.99 - 173 MB
  • Jungle Z - Rising Win Tech. - $12.99/€11.49 - 417 MB
  • The Mystery of Woolley Mountain - Huey Games - $12.99/€10.99 (Launch sale: $9.74/€8.24) - 809 MB
    reignsgameofthrones5bjhq.jpg
    wayofthepassivefistfakz7.jpg
    adarkroom1qj3y.jpg
    junglezuzj38.jpg
    themysteryofwoolleymoj6kmi.jpg
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - Capcom - $29.99/€29.99 - 1.7 GB
  • Shadowgate - Abstraction Games - $19.99/€19.99 - 882 MB
  • Time Pilot - Arcade - Konami/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • The Demon Crystal - Regista - $9.99/€9.99 - 107 MB
  • Back to Bed - 2Awesome Studio - $4.99/€4.99 - 285 MB
    phoenixwrightaceattorh6k53.jpg
    shadowgate0sjr2.jpg
    arcadearchivestimepil7xkbv.jpg
    thedemoncrystalljjd0.jpg
    backtobedumkps.jpg
  • Rolling Sky - Rising Win Tech. - $10.99/€9.99 - 288 MB
  • Windstorm: Ari's Arrival - EuroVideo Medien - €39.99 - 5.1 GB *EU*
  • Street Basketball - Baltoro Games - $5.99/€5.99 - 140 MB
  • Box Align - Qubyte Interactive - $1.99/€1.99 - 100 MB
  • Greco's Hall of Kanji Learn Japanese < Beginner > - media5 - $16.99/€14.99 - 381 MB
    rollingsky0zksp.jpg
    windstorm-arisarrival35j51.jpg
    streetbasketballzsjb4.jpg
    boxaligndjkb8.jpg
    grecoshallofkanjilear6dkpf.jpg

- DLCs
  • Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists ~Ateliers of the New World~ - Koei Tecmo
    Season Pass "Legendary Town Building Set" - €54.99

- Demos

• Out There: Ω The Alliance - Raw Fury

- Japan

• Meitantei Conan Skateboard Run: Kaitou Kid to Shinpi no Hihou - TMS Ent. - ¥3,500
    meitanteiconanskateborhkej.jpg

-Late Releases
  • War Theatre - Arcade Distillery - €8.99 (Launch sale: €5.99) - 265 MB *EU*

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
PSA about FFX HD: I've been asking people who've gotten physical copies, and they've confirmed that the Switch version does not have the PC version's QoL features (fast forward, encounter toggle, boosters, etc.), which people may have grown used to in all the other Final Fantasy ports.

Incredibly disappointing for me, though I already pre-purchased. Fastforward especially is so invaluable for replaying these lengthy RPGs. Seems like only FFXII might be a relatively perfect version.
Oh damn.. That's a bummer.

I mean, I really didn't need a reason to buy FFX yet again, but that is still unfortunate.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What the heck, where's Terra Force? I was scrolling through my wishlist and I see it's gone. I know this happens sometimes but at least with the Psikyo games I could kinda imagine some rating issues leading to their temporary removal but what could have happened with Terra Force?
It was pulled from the eShop a couple days later. The theory is that it was released early by accident but nothing confirmed.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Is the FFX-2 code that comes with the physical edition redeemable yet? I kind of want to play X-2 first because I haven't seen it before whereas I've played quite a lot of X

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
So - is the Phoenix Wright HD collection worth it? I have never played these games previously but have always been tempted. Is the Switch collection a good version of these titles? Are the games still good today?

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, there was a JP eShop exclusive game that was about flicking erasers on a desk in a classroom, and building crazy robots with rulers and pencils then duking them out.

It was posted here on era a while back, but I lost the link. Anyone happen to know what game I'm referring to and what it's called??

Also, anyone grab Katana Zero and Way of the Passive Fist? Tempted by these but would love some feedback.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't want to necro the old thread on Assault Android Cactus+, but has anyone played 4 player co-op? Is it still fun or would it be too hard for an audience of a variety of gaming skill levels?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Man, I spluuuurged.

Rayman Legends
Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle
REIGN Game of Thrones

Jeez.

Aug 29, 2018
What do you guys feel the most underrated indie on the eshop is?

My vote goin out to downwell and astrobears (unless I just missed the discussion)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I'm starting to think the same way - I wasn't aware there were a lot of limitations on XBX1 backwards compatibility. I was sort of under the impression that I could just start searching used bins for Xbox titles and pick them up as they appeared. Sort of disappointing that it doesn't work that way.

I get to play at my desk usually once every day or two for around an hour if I wake up early enough and don't have other things to take care of. Having a decent arcade pad would be a lot of fun, especially if I can use it on my PC too. I haven't explored Steam shmups much and it appears a lot of classics are there. Anyway, another user ( Mr_Bubbles ) suggested the RAP 5, so it makes me happy to see that the HORI stuff has a decent reputation among users.

Nice, thanks man! Could you repost that link though? I'm not sure if I can find that thread on the Shmup board (I guess I should join) and the link you posted is an internal link (it is this one? https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62430).

Having a list of all of them would be super helpful, especially because I think some are only available in the Japanese eShop? There are at least a couple of collections that I think are region specific anyway.

I'm super lucky in that my monitor can switch to a vertical orientation, so I can use Tate mode docked. I'm sort of getting excited just thinking about Danmaku Unlimited 3 using a stick and vertical monitor. Damn, I think I'm gonna do this!

Yeah, that's the one.
Also just check if the new releases AngerForce, Switch 'n Shoot and Time Pilot are on the list; if they're there then it's the correct list.

There's a bunch of regional releases like Darius Cozmic Collection (retail only, sigh, to say nothing of the sold out L.E. via Amazon that was the only way to acquire all the games), Psyvariar Delta, Rolling Gunner and so on

WTF!!??

WHAT A FUCKING BUMMER MAN :-(

Seriously thanks a lot for having me saved money I would have immediately regretted spending.
Did they freaking port the original PS2 release then? Did the PS4/Vita ports had those QOL feats? Zero hope it'll be patched in I guess.

So - is the Phoenix Wright HD collection worth it? I have never played these games previously but have always been tempted. Is the Switch collection a good version of these titles? Are the games still good today?

It's the second best version out there besides the NDS remakes, but those are pricey and not on a modern system, here for $30 you get a ton of great content.
Yes the games are still amazing and fully hold up today and not many VN/Adventures titles of comparable quality have come out since AA1 came out 18 years ago (!) on GBA.

I didn't want to necro the old thread on Assault Android Cactus+, but has anyone played 4 player co-op? Is it still fun or would it be too hard for an audience of a variety of gaming skill levels?

That is exactly what OT are for tho?
And you can't really "necro" an OT, besides even if that was the case it's not like the thread is 3 years old or something... the game literally just released 4 weeks ago lol

Anyway, I haven't tried 4p but this is by far the most approachable version of the game, thanks to a sweet auto-aim feature but it still is a hard game by design even to navigate visually if your friends are really, really casual players then forget it. If they are somewhat decent then you're going to have a lot of fun provided you have a big TV (too bad the game does not support local wifi network battles using a console for each player)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys feel the most underrated indie on the eshop is?

My vote goin out to downwell and astrobears (unless I just missed the discussion)

Tangledeep. It's so, so good but was overshadowed by Wargroove's hype/release.

Highly recommend to anyone who loves classic SNES JRPGs and/or roguelikes (don't be intimidated by that word — permadeath is optional, along with lots of other options to make the game more/less difficult).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously thanks a lot for having me saved money I would have immediately regretted spending.
Did they freaking port the original PS2 release then? Did the PS4/Vita ports had those QOL feats? Zero hope it'll be patched in I guess.

It's apparently based on the PS4 version, and neither the PS4 nor Vita versions had the QOL additions. Only PC.

They're sitting right there, though, and all the other FF ports have them. Really dumb FFX is lacking them.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Well at least you have a great version of DQ11. Square giveth and Square taketh away.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Tangledeep. It's so, so good but was overshadowed by Wargroove's hype/release.

Highly recommend to anyone who loves classic SNES JRPGs and/or roguelikes (don't be intimidated by that word — permadeath is optional, along with lots of other options to make the game more/less difficult).

100% this. Tangledeep is a fantastic game.

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Just make myself feel 'normal' in Switch owner terms, do you guys also own a ton of indies on Switch? Like, more than you can even realistically play? I own around 160 games for this machine, I genuinely don't need another system again

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Rayman Legends is outstanding, great buy. M&R is great too. And I like the original Reigns. I should look into the GoT one but I don't really follow that franchise.
Yeah I borrowed M&R and got to the end of World 2. It's really something. Legends is great too.

Reigns GoT is pretty heavy on the fanservice honestly.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Just make myself feel 'normal' in Switch owner terms, do you guys also own a ton of indies on Switch? Like, more than you can even realistically play? I own around 160 games for this machine, I genuinely don't need another system again
Sounds like a normal Switch owner to me! I don't have quite as many games but it's way up there. Love this system.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

This is basically every system I've ever owned, yet I still buy new systems.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So to summarise, in the last month;

Baba is You
Minit
Gunman Clive HD Collection
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2
Dark Souls: Remastered
Mechstermination Force
Reigns Game of Thrones
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Aw man I have a problem. To be fair I hadn't bought anything for my Switch before that in like 4-5 months.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017

I only buy new games when I have either beaten a game I own (or put a meaningful amount of time into). This keeps me from growing too big of a backlog. However, with that said I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 games.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I only buy new games when I have either beaten a game I own (or put a meaningful amount of time into). This keeps me from growing too big of a backlog. However, with that said I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 games.
I'm really trying, but the game my Backloggery Fortune Cookie landed on is Death Road to Canada, and it's really obtuse to beat. You think you're doing well with skill and resources, then a random text choice kills your whole party :(