• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I completely stopped finishing games on my switch after I got into Stardew Valley... Again. Man, this is such a massive time sinking game. I had clocked 68 hours before coming back... After 2 weeks I now have 115 hours and I'm not planning to stop any time soon. I'm rocking both a solo farm (11 hours) and a co-op with my GF (37 hours).

docus

Feb 14, 2018
Okay, Moonlighter. Is it worth $25? It looks amazing, I love roguelites and throwing in itemisation and a shop that can also have your gear stolen? Yes please. Is it fun? What's typical length or is it never ending?

I'm wondering the same myself. I like the concept but I wonder if the gameplay holds up? It would be great to hear from anyone who'd played it :)

Last edited:

docus

Feb 14, 2018
A bit late, but Wandersong is absolutely brilliant! A real gem.

The writing and characters are wonderful - funny, clever, emotionally rich. It's a really compelling story. The gameplay is simple but very satisfying.

I'm playing it with my 8 year old daughter and she hasn't been so captivated by a game in a long time. But I would feel the same if I was playing alone.

Anyone who liked Night in the Woods would love this.

Also, the story has some echoes of Celeste.

Highly recommended!

Oct 30, 2017
Aug 29, 2018
Tangledeep. It's so, so good but was overshadowed by Wargroove's hype/release.

Highly recommend to anyone who loves classic SNES JRPGs and/or roguelikes (don't be intimidated by that word — permadeath is optional, along with lots of other options to make the game more/less difficult).
was actually looking for opinions on this so glad you said that

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Rayman Legends? I thought I remember reading it had some issues on the Switch. Worth getting if I've never played it?

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Good to know I am not alone : D. My wish list has about 100 games on it as well, I try to only buy games when they are on sale now.

Trying to decide what to play next now, currently looking at Furi in my backlog.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really trying, but the game my Backloggery Fortune Cookie landed on is Death Road to Canada, and it's really obtuse to beat. You think you're doing well with skill and resources, then a random text choice kills your whole party :(

I set myself a standard of (unless I truly, truly dislike the game) 5 hours of gameplay. If I've put in 5 hours, then I've given the game my due diligence and I feel free to move on without guilt.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I completely stopped finishing games on my switch after I got into Stardew Valley... Again. Man, this is such a massive time sinking game.
Replace "Stardew Valley" with "Fortnite" and you're me. I really feel like I should dig into all the new games that have come out, but I'm worried I'll just play for a few hours and then get pulled away again. But replacing one addiction with another doesn't seem like a smart idea...

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PSA about FFX HD: I've been asking people who've gotten physical copies, and they've confirmed that the Switch version does not have the PC version's QoL features (fast forward, encounter toggle, boosters, etc.), which people may have grown used to in all the other Final Fantasy ports.

Incredibly disappointing for me, though I already pre-purchased. Fastforward especially is so invaluable for replaying these lengthy RPGs. Seems like only FFXII might be a relatively perfect version.

bit of a surprise given Square-Enix tends to build off the previous port

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Got me Dark Souls, finally will be able to play this game in a good way because I hated playing it on PC, the controls felt terrible.

Also got South Park TFBH , really liked the stick of truth so I hope this one will be similar.

Really sucks that Nintendo decided to have the second Tetris championship precisely this week (or this month for that matter) when there are so many releases and good sales. You crazy, Nintendo!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
A bit late, but Wandersong is absolutely brilliant! A real gem.

The writing and characters are wonderful - funny, clever, emotionally rich. It's a really compelling story. The gameplay is simple but very satisfying.

I'm playing it with my 8 year old daughter and she hasn't been so captivated by a game in a long time. But I would feel the same if I was playing alone.

Anyone who liked Night in the Woods would love this.

Also, the story has some echoes of Celeste.

Highly recommended!

I absolutely agree. Wandersong was a fantastic experience!

As the initial launch-day hype has passed, what's the over under on Mechstermination Force? Depth?

The OT has a lot of user impressions of the game. There's a patch that has been submitted that'll fix some issues.

How is Rayman Legends? I thought I remember reading it had some issues on the Switch. Worth getting if I've never played it?

If you mean the load times and FPS issues, those issues were addressed in a patch in November 2017.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
The Hellblade icon might be the worst yet. I had to get it though.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to get Hellblade to support more titles like this coming to the Switch, but I already bought it day one on PS4 and I also own it on XB1 (via Gamepass), so I hope my Switch bros and sis' can pick up my slack and make sure this game does well.

It's an amazing experience incase anyone is interested.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the collection and was pretty disappointed. It's a ton of content, but it was so mediocre that i got to a point where I was like, "Eh, my time is worth more than this."

Echoing the sentiment that there are a lot of better SRPGs on Switch, especially in the time since that collection came out. Wargroove, Into the Breach, and even the two Shining Force games in the Sega Genesis collection have more interesting gameplay to offer than Mercenaries IMO. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a bit of a different thing but has a free demo that you could also check out.
I appreciate this, yeah outside of the Megadrive collection, which I have on Steam, I have all those others!

I love srpgs, and I was hoping the Mercenariea games would be worth the time since I kind of have everything but these :-D

Last edited:

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
How can you guys sleep at night with such huge backlogs? ^_^

Just kidding. Buying games is fun and it feels good to have a nice collection, even when you can't play them. However, money is tight for me, so I only buy games I'm ready to play right now.

What I do is, I assemble a collection with games for a variety of situations which I call "slots". This is my current line-up:

- 1 long game (to play very slowly for months to come): World of Final Fantasy, next will probably be Dragon's Dogma

- 2-3 brainless action games (to play when I'm stressed and want some quick fun): Capcom Beat 'em up Collection, Shantae Half-Genie Hero

- 1 "thinking" action game (when wife/child are asleep and I want to play all night long): Hollow Knight

- 1 shoot 'em up (when I want an exciting 15 minute game): Dragon's Blaze

- 1 adventure game (when I want something nice and quiet): Goethia

Now I need a loot game, seriously considering Diablo 3 (and it's on sale right now).

Yesterday I considered buying Syberia (it's on sale). Well, it's an adventure game. I already own Goethia and I love it, it's very good. The only reason I haven't beaten it yet is the lack of time. So, why the hell should I buy Syberia? It makes no sense, I won't play it until I beat Goethia.

I want to play Guacamelee 2, but why should I get it if I'm in love with Hollow Knight and can't find the time to beat it?

So, in order to buy new games, I have to beat (or quit) the one I already have for that specific slot. Might seem a bit weird, but it's been working really well for me.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

Just kidding. Buying games is fun and it feels good to have a nice collection, even when you can't play them. However, money is tight for me, so I only buy games I'm ready to play right now.

What I do is, I assemble a collection with games for a variety of situations which I call "slots". This is my current line-up:

- 1 long game (to play very slowly for months to come): World of Final Fantasy, next will probably be Dragon's Dogma

- 2-3 brainless action games (to play when I'm stressed and want some quick fun): Capcom Beat 'em up Collection, Shantae Half-Genie Hero

- 1 "thinking" action game (when wife/child are asleep and I want to play all night long): Hollow Knight

Now I need a loot game, seriously considering Diablo 3 (and it's on sale right now).

Yesterday I considered buying Syberia (it's on sale). Well, it's an adventure game. I already own Goethia and I love it, it's very good. The only reason I haven't beaten it yet is the lack of time. So, why the hell should I buy Syberia? It makes no sense, I won't play it until I beat Goethia.

I want to play Guacamelee 2, but why should I get it if I'm in love with Hollow Knight and can't find the time to beat it?

So, in order to buy new games, I have to beat (or quit) the one I already have for that specific slot. Might seem a bit weird, but it's been working really well for me.
That's what I do but with genres, I like to have one of each possible genre always available. But I break my own rule with sales, if it's a sale above 50% them I'll probably get it unless it's a game that I see getting constant sales, then I'll wait until I can really play it. Problem with this is that in the end I am building up a huge backlog anyway because there are good sales at a faster rate than I can finish games but I can't help myself :/

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm wondering the same myself. I like the concept but I wonder if the gameplay holds up? It would be great to hear from anyone who'd played it :)
Well I grabbed it and am currently on a trip from Morven to Toowoomba in Queensland, Australia so 4-5 hours drive each way haha. I'll post up some impressions when I get a bit into the game but my tastes seemed in line with its description

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Vostok inc is a clicker shooter

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I was browsing the eShop and noticed Cel Damage was on there

I loved that game as a kid, so I instantly bought it, but it's kinda weird. You need a user account for every player, which is just wacky. The way damage is done also seems changed, weapons seem significantly weaker than they used to be.

Is there a way to enter cheats on the Switch? Because every person needs an account to play, there's no name entry system, and no name entry system means there's no way to enter cheat codes.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm starting to think the same way - I wasn't aware there were a lot of limitations on XBX1 backwards compatibility. I was sort of under the impression that I could just start searching used bins for Xbox titles and pick them up as they appeared. Sort of disappointing that it doesn't work that way.

I get to play at my desk usually once every day or two for around an hour if I wake up early enough and don't have other things to take care of. Having a decent arcade pad would be a lot of fun, especially if I can use it on my PC too. I haven't explored Steam shmups much and it appears a lot of classics are there. Anyway, another user ( Mr_Bubbles ) suggested the RAP 5, so it makes me happy to see that the HORI stuff has a decent reputation among users.

Nice, thanks man! Could you repost that link though? I'm not sure if I can find that thread on the Shmup board (I guess I should join) and the link you posted is an internal link (it is this one? https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62430).

Having a list of all of them would be super helpful, especially because I think some are only available in the Japanese eShop? There are at least a couple of collections that I think are region specific anyway.

I'm super lucky in that my monitor can switch to a vertical orientation, so I can use Tate mode docked. I'm sort of getting excited just thinking about Danmaku Unlimited 3 using a stick and vertical monitor. Damn, I think I'm gonna do this!
If you want any opinions on any shmups you're interested in, feel free to ask me or the shmups community thread here. I buy pretty much every shmup that comes to the Switch and I have the essentials on Steam.
It was pulled from the eShop a couple days later. The theory is that it was released early by accident but nothing confirmed.
Gotcha, thanks. Hopefully we'll see it back again soon then.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Just finished my review for a game called Aggelos launching in a few weeks. It's that wonder boy looking game on the eShop coming soon section.

What I can easily say here is that if you liked MB, you do not want to miss out on this game. It's equally as good, and while it's a lot shorter than MB (6 hours for 100%) every moment of the adventure was super fun and the pacing is pretty good save for some difficulty spikes near the end. For $15 it's practically a steal and easily my favorite game of the month unless the Konami Collection blows me away (Which it probably will)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon's Dogma and Final Fantasy XII can't come soon enough.

And thanks to Hellblade, my wallet has indeed ended.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Hell is Other Demons looks interesting. Though, as far as April 18th releases go, there's basically no way I'm not getting Katana Zero. I've wanted that game since it was unveiled back in 2015.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Dammit!!

Here was I thinking I wasn't getting much this April and so far I've bought:
Donkey Kong 3
Dark Souls Remastered (eShop sale)
Nintendo Labo full VR Kit (physical)
with Cuphead & Katana Zero pre-purchased from after the Nindies Direct last month.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dammit!!

Here was I thinking I wasn't getting much this April and so far I've bought:
Donkey Kong 3
Dark Souls Remastered (eShop sale)
Nintendo Labo full VR Kit (physical)
with Cuphead & Katana Zero pre-purchased from after the Nindies Direct last month.
I wish Dark Souls was on sale in NA....

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
so GEM has a lot more going for it than it at first appears. it has some serious strategic dimensions that I did not anticipate. while I am able to get an S or S+ (non-stop chain all three phases, no damage) on most stages, the scoring system actually favors something it calls "style," which requires you use a diverse number of weapon systems for your kills. so just shooting and dodging isn't enough; you have to kill multiple enemies with the same attack where possible, which means you have to use extra energy where possible, which means you can easily end up stranded in the middle of an enemy swarm that chews you alive.

looking at the leader boards, I tend to fall within the top 500 to 900 players, except on one stage where I broke the top 200 with an S+ performance that seriously put me in some tight spots. some of these guys are scoring 500k and 600k points on stages where I have trouble breaking 200k. absolutely incredible how much detail can be packed into such a tight little game (with zero power-ups!).

if you like score-chasing shooters at all, Graceful Explosion Machine is a must-have, whether you get it on sale or at full price.

+1

It's an excellent shmup and you summarized it perfectly. I won't ever grow tired of recommending this to both newbies and veterans of the genre. Honestly, one of my favorite shooters ever!

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up Hellblade and am loving the hell out of it! It looks awesome on Switch, but now I'm considering double dipping on PC, too. I'm totally glad I picked it up on Switch though, as I think my oldest daughter will really enjoy it with the headphones on. It's a VERY effective game. Holy crap, it's got like all the crap I love in it.

With Mortal Kombat coming out so soon, I also sprang for a 400Gb SD card. Currently, I've got a 128 and it hasn't been an issue but I had to delete a bunch of crap this morning to install Hellblade. I figure with the likelihood that a deluxe model of the Switch will be coming out I may as well go ahead and get more storage.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Don't forget guys, Tertris 99 Grand Prix 2, is on this weekend.

I've started archiving a few games that I've completed or don't see myself playing anytime soon. I even archived Hollow Knight but I've completed that.

My worst game is Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition. I bought that on launch thinking I'd play it when there wasn't much else. I never even started it and I've already archived it.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Regarding Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!

Glad to read the positive impressions here, I played the first one on PC and really liked it. Surely gonna grab the new one on Switch. However, the Euro price being higher than the Dollar price is off-putting, probably gonna wait for a sale considering this and the backlog.

chubigans could you kindly elaborate on what happened with the prices there?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Did Ubisoft every patch the longer loading times on Rayman Legends Switch ? Might be time for me to pick it up on Switch as well.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I was browsing the eShop and noticed Cel Damage was on there

I loved that game as a kid, so I instantly bought it, but it's kinda weird. You need a user account for every player, which is just wacky. The way damage is done also seems changed, weapons seem significantly weaker than they used to be.

Is there a way to enter cheats on the Switch? Because every person needs an account to play, there's no name entry system, and no name entry system means there's no way to enter cheat codes.
Oh my sweet summer child, you clearly never played any Xbox 360 game locally. What an absolute nightmare. That user pop in never went away.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Caladrius Blaze coming to Switch, asian-english physical sku as well.
Play-Asia jumped the gun and now has deleted the listing and blog post but you can still find the link and the text blurb when googling it.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Also the '90s style fps PRODEUS's Kickstarter campaign is now giving Switch codes with every PC code, Early Access this year and full release next year.

Looks awesome and Dragonfly, one of the best DOOM maps designers around, is now part of the development team.

c6d846239767bef35182f80810b1380b_original.gif

8ef12c90d59d2c30a2965c73676bb69c_original.gif

44386dd5f383d703ae3d4516cc6cfb0f_original.gif

5d4fc46fa0f475859fc720bfa0c64cfa_original.jpg

ff509a837b8f39d58855c433e0a321e9_original.jpg

af9585c1f76a73922c8ce73fe96467b3_original.gif

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Also the '90s style fps PRODEUS's Kickstarter campaign is now giving Switch codes with every PC code, Early Access this year and full release next year.

Looks awesome and Dragonfly, one of the best DOOM maps designers around, is now part of the development team.
that's how you get me from "will check it out once it's done" to "might as well get in on the ground floor"