• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Also the '90s style fps PRODEUS's Kickstarter campaign is now giving Switch codes with every PC code, Early Access this year and full release next year.

Looks awesome and Dragonfly, one of the best DOOM maps designers around, is now part of the development team.

That looks awesome! Hopefully the switch version is good.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!

Glad to read the positive impressions here, I played the first one on PC and really liked it. Surely gonna grab the new one on Switch. However, the Euro price being higher than the Dollar price is off-putting, probably gonna wait for a sale considering this and the backlog.

chubigans could you kindly elaborate on what happened with the prices there?

Unfortunately I cannot. :( I'm committed to full transparency but there are some things I literally can't talk about at all, I'm sorry.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
If you want any opinions on any shmups you're interested in, feel free to ask me or the shmups community thread here. I buy pretty much every shmup that comes to the Switch and I have the essentials on Steam.

Thanks man! I have my eyes on a few things right now. Never played Gunbird 2, Strikers 1945 II, or Dragon Blaze before, so those are all on my list. On the Steam side, I'm super interested in Death Smiles and Mushihimesama. Those five alone would keep me occupied for a long time, especially since I'm actively playing GEM, Ikaruga, Black Bird, AAC+, and Danmaku Unlimited 3, hahaha. So many things to try, but it's great having an arcade like this in my house. Used to dream about it as a kid.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure what game I want to get at the end of the month. I keep on flip flopping between Steamworld Quest and FFXII.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Alright folks, time to get shilled on another random weirdo indie game by Camjo-Z. This time it's Agartha-S, a game so apparently uninteresting to most that it's only been mentioned on this website out of obligation in lists of weekly game releases and sales.

This game is a weird little platformer with a bit of Worms mixed in. You play as a Gunner who runs around these completely destructible stages, with the only goal being to get to the exit marked on the map with a yellow dot (or find a hidden exit that's not marked at all). You have four weapons with a limited amount of ammo that all have different uses. Your Gatling Gun rapidly fires bullets that destroy both enemies and terrain, your Flame Gun is useful for melting ice or turning water into steam, your Ice Beam does the opposite and freezes steam back into water or water into ice, and your Bazooka is perfect for chipping away at large chunks of earth.

euBVNb6l.jpg

With these abilities, the challenge lies in reaching the goal without running out of ammo, getting killed by the random critters lurking in the stage, or accidentally getting yourself into an area you can't get out of. It's really neat to run around the stages because destroying terrain tends to have a bit of a chain reaction, for example shooting a hole into a pile of loose dirt will cause all the rest of the dirt to spill down and fill in the hole you made. There are also some cool unexpected ways to make it through stages, I had a lot of trouble with the cavernous D-2 level until I realized that I could just blow up spots that had lots of water and flood the cave to easily swim through it.

ARLgBNOl.jpg

The game has a strange non-linear structure, so it's got a very adventurous and mysterious feel to it. You can also obtain meat and gems in each stage that can be spent at the shop to unlock new characters, such as the wizard who trades the gun for a thunder spell that has bonus range in water, and can use a devastating close range Flare Bomb to clear out space.

Overall, I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes quirky eShop games that are a little janky but have a lot of personality. It's normally $7.99 but currently on sale at 50% off until the 25th, so go ahead and grab it if you like what you see.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Alright folks, time to get shilled on another random weirdo indie game by Camjo-Z. This time it's Agartha-S, a game so apparently uninteresting to most that it's only been mentioned on this website out of obligation in lists of weekly game releases and sales.

This game is a weird little platformer with a bit of Worms mixed in. You play as a Gunner who runs around these completely destructible stages, with the only goal being to get to the exit marked on the map with a yellow dot (or find a hidden exit that's not marked at all). You have four weapons with a limited amount of ammo that all have different uses. Your Gatling Gun rapidly fires bullets that destroy both enemies and terrain, your Flame Gun is useful for melting ice or turning water into steam, your Ice Beam does the opposite and freezes steam back into water or water into ice, and your Bazooka is perfect for chipping away at large chunks of earth.

euBVNb6l.jpg

With these abilities, the challenge lies in reaching the goal without running out of ammo, getting killed by the random critters lurking in the stage, or accidentally getting yourself into an area you can't get out of. It's really neat to run around the stages because destroying terrain tends to have a bit of a chain reaction, for example shooting a hole into a pile of loose dirt will cause all the rest of the dirt to spill down and fill in the hole you made. There are also some cool unexpected ways to make it through stages, I had a lot of trouble with the cavernous D-2 level until I realized that I could just blow up spots that had lots of water and flood the cave to easily swim through it.

ARLgBNOl.jpg

The game has a strange non-linear structure, so it's got a very adventurous and mysterious feel to it. You can also obtain meat and gems in each stage that can be spent at the shop to unlock new characters, such as the wizard who trades the gun for a thunder spell that has bonus range in water, and can use a devastating close range Flare Bomb to clear out space.

Overall, I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes quirky eShop games that are a little janky but have a lot of personality. It's normally $7.99 but currently on sale at 50% off until the 25th, so go ahead and grab it if you like what you see.

Ooooo... I'm tempted and I could just use gold coins to buy it. However I'm tempted by Vostok inc too. Help me choose someone?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit HELLBLADE is €12 on the MXN eShop?! ...and bought!

I've had for a while on Xbox Games Pass and wanted to play it at its audiovisual best but what good has done me waiting? I mean like I was hyped for Spiderman and yet I only tried it for 1 hour or two, at least I know that on Switch I will actually play HELLBLADE and for that price it's impulse buy territory

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Holy shit HELLBLADE is €12 on the MXN eShop?! ...and bought!

I've had for a while on Xbox Games Pass and wanted to play it at its audiovisual best but what good has done me waiting? I mean like I was hyped for Spiderman and yet I only tried it for 1 hour or two, at least I know that on Switch I will actually play HELLBLADE and for that price it's impulse buy territory

If you're in Europe, buying on the mx eshop can be a huge hassle. The next best thing is the South African eshop for 20 Euros. Still a good deal.

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy X/X-2 seems to NOT feature a separate game for the X2 code and treats it as DLC for the package as a whole. Really disappointed they took this route.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Hob is a nice game. Nothing's great, but it's reasonably beautiful, the world is reasonably interesting, the combat is reasonably fun, the pacing is reasonably well managed. A mix of link to the past, Rime, and a metroidvania maybe. I'm near the end I think. Also it's a very solid port given how it performs on other machines.
Good stuff, though I'm still surprised that of all the games, panic button chose this one to port. Bring on Rage 2, you cowards.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Isn't that better for people that buy it used? Or do you mean theres still a code but its not a second icon on the menu?
Yea it's technically the better solution for used copies/resales, yes. kinda sucks you can never, for example, resell the Resident Evil Revelations Collection or the MM Legacy Collection bundles as such since the second half is always a distinct game download.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Hob is a nice game. Nothing's great, but it's reasonably beautiful, the world is reasonably interesting, the combat is reasonably fun, the pacing is reasonably well managed. A mix of link to the past, Rime, and a metroidvania maybe. I'm near the end I think. Also it's a very solid port given how it performs on other machines.
Good stuff, though I'm still surprised that of all the games, panic button chose this one to port. Bring on Rage 2, you cowards.
Yeah, game is good, but I think I'll wait for a patch before playing more as the resolution in handheld is rough.

combat feels great, I hate just walking around doing nothing

The game is a walking simulator with some simple combat sections and puzzles. Definitely not for everyone. I think it's ok.

Meh FFXII is fine, but it's been outdone by Xenoblade Chronicles three times.

Xenoblade Chronicles is my favorite JRPG ever, but FFXII is still awesome. They are different enough.

I realy wish we would get a XC remaster, though.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Anybody else get Yet Another Zombie Defense Game HD? It's actually pretty fun and I've finally figured out the controls after about a day of messing around with it. I couldn't figure out how to change weapons and I had to Google it.

Chainsaw is way overpowered but now that it's clicked I made it to level 15 or so with little difficulty. Online is a plus too, but I think people have hacked it or I glitched last night. Dropped into an endless game and kept dying and respawning and ended up with almost 3 million points and #26 on the leaderboard by the time the game finally ended.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Hellblade myself but with just the minimum research I've done on the game in the past, it's very clear to me it's not a game about combat.

Also outside of surface level stuff, Xenoblade and FF12's combats (and the games in general really) aren't anything alike, and I'd argue the latter does what it's set out to do far better, and this is coming from someone who adores Xenoblade 1. FF12 (especially Zodiac Age) is a fantastic game.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I know this might sound odd, but I'm really bummed out that I can't buy FFX-2 by itself.

Oct 27, 2017
I keep looking at Ace Attorney. Never played any of them before, the closest to it would be 999. Are they somewhat similar, apart from the setting of course?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I keep looking at Ace Attorney. Never played any of them before, the closest to it would be 999. Are they somewhat similar, apart from the setting of course?
More or less. The investigation parts of AA are similar in that you inspect maps for clues and character dialogue is presented in the same way, but instead of puzzles you get trials where you have to interrogate people, and point out holes in their testimonies with evidence you found during investigations.

AA is honestly one of the most quality story driven series out there and the original trilogy in particular has the finest games. If you like the genre you owe it to yourself to play them.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
The level of competition ramps up considerably on event weekends. It's usually pretty easy to get in the top 10 but it definitely feels like an accomplishment during these periods. Hard to believe that a new Tetris game will be in my favorites games of the year list two year in a row.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I just spent the last three hours playing cook serve delicious 2 and the only reason I stopped was because my hands were killing me.

Oh and hunger, why does the food have to look so darn goooooood. Really glad I took a chance on this game.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Minus the puzzles, Yep.

If you liked 999, I'm almost sure you'll like Ace Attorney.
More or less. The investigation parts of AA are similar in that you inspect maps for clues and character dialogue is presented in the same way, but instead of puzzles you get trials where you have to interrogate people, and point out holes in their testimonies with evidence you found during investigations.

AA is honestly one of the most quality story driven series out there and the original trilogy in particular has the finest games. If you like the genre you owe it to yourself to play them.

Ta, will check them out. They're not overly expensive which make it an easier decision. Roughly how long is each game?

Kirikocho

Dec 30, 2018
Ta, will check them out. They're not overly expensive which make it an easier decision. Roughly how long is each game?

Depending on how good you are in the trials honestly. I can't remember well but I think 12 hours per game? I sucked at some trials tho. When you don't pick the right evidence or dialogue, you have to repeat the trial, that can expand your playtime, but once you get used to the game trials become easier.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
Sounds great. For $13, I think I'm sold. Thanks!

Keep in mind if you do get this game and feel overwhelmed there is an easy mode called zen mode. I recommend doing a few zen modes at each restaurant so you can learn where things are located.

I remember my first runs of each game being around 15-20 hours, so you're looking at 60 hours roughly.

Oct 28, 2017
Each game is roughly about 20 - 25 hours long, and I will echo the sentiments that they are excellent games you should play.

Regarding the trials, you will never have to repeat trials but if you do run out of "health" (which you lose from presenting wrong answers/evidence) you'll have to re-start from the last save point, so save if you're not sure of the next answer.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
New trailer for Our World is Ended.

I'm so close to pre-ordering this on Switch, but I dunno. Something is making me hesitate. Maybe the price.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
If you're in Europe, buying on the mx eshop can be a huge hassle. The next best thing is the South African eshop for 20 Euros. Still a good deal.

I'm in EU.
I used to think as well and I gave up a while ago but today I decided to have a look around once again and I've finally found an estore (with an app as well) where you can buy instantaneus MXN eShop codes for MX$200/$500 (they accept a ton of different payments too, even PP Wallet) and there's just an 1€ overhead every €12 so still worth it.

Grabbed SENUA for around €14,20 in the end.

I already have most of the games with crazy low MXN eShop's prices so for now I have some leftovers, I'm sure something good will pop up soon. :D

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

euBVNb6l.jpg

ARLgBNOl.jpg

That looks like just the kind of weird shit I'm into. I'll bite at that price. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Thanks man! I have my eyes on a few things right now. Never played Gunbird 2, Strikers 1945 II, or Dragon Blaze before, so those are all on my list. On the Steam side, I'm super interested in Death Smiles and Mushihimesama. Those five alone would keep me occupied for a long time, especially since I'm actively playing GEM, Ikaruga, Black Bird, AAC+, and Danmaku Unlimited 3, hahaha. So many things to try, but it's great having an arcade like this in my house. Used to dream about it as a kid.
All very good choices. Dragon's Blaze is the best Psikyo game IMO followed by the other two you mentioned, I'd say. Though I'm a big horizontal shmup fan so Tengai is up there for me. I saw your post about Black Bird in the OT and community thread. Did you ever find out the intricacies of the scoring? That game is criminally underrated so info is scarce. It's so good.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, has anyone in the thread played Poochy and Yoshi's Woolley World on OG 3DS? I want to know if the 30FPS kills the experience before I buy a copy of it.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I absolutely adore Hellblade so far. Don't hesitate if you're interested and want to play it on Switch -- I'm picky about image quality, but I don't feel like I'm playing a "compromised" version of the game. It's still gorgeous, on TV and in handheld mode (I still can't believe what I'm seeing on that little screen sometimes).

Some (Facebook compressed) shots:
56980676101025094154.jpg

56852927101025094155.jpg

And if you like bite-sized arcade-style games, don't sleep on Super Weekend Mode at $3.99. It's a wholly unique, really challenging in an addictive "one my try" way, and has a whole lot of style.

screen1.png

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Since I'm not buying Our World is Ended, I sprung for Mechstermination Force.

Thinking about Dragon's Dogma, too. But I already have a few things pre-ordered.... Cuphead, My Time at Portia. Still have to finish She Remembered Caterpillars, just started Phoenix Wright, still haven't touched Friends of Ringo Ishikawa, Oxenfree, or World of Final Fantasy Maxima.....

God knows lol. It is discovered by a poster in VN community thread:
Well I mean.... it would be nice if they knew what they were releasing.