• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mjdrama

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in EU.
I used to think as well and I gave up a while ago but today I decided to have a look around once again and I've finally found an estore (with an app as well) where you can buy instantaneus MXN eShop codes for MX$200/$500 (they accept a ton of different payments too, even PP Wallet) and there's just an 1€ overhead every €12 so still worth it.

Grabbed SENUA for around €14,20 in the end.

I already have most of the games with crazy low MXN eShop's prices so for now I have some leftovers, I'm sure something good will pop up soon. :D

Can you share name of this shop please? I've been looking for a way to buy easily from Mexico eshop from EU.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I keep looking at Ace Attorney. Never played any of them before, the closest to it would be 999. Are they somewhat similar, apart from the setting of course?

It's a courtroom drama, one that unfolds linearly with occasional investigations to discover evidence and motive. It also trades on humor and embellished personalities. Lots of humor and wit, but heart as well. It's engaging if you settle into it.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Thanks man! I have my eyes on a few things right now. Never played Gunbird 2, Strikers 1945 II, or Dragon Blaze before, so those are all on my list. On the Steam side, I'm super interested in Death Smiles and Mushihimesama. Those five alone would keep me occupied for a long time, especially since I'm actively playing GEM, Ikaruga, Black Bird, AAC+, and Danmaku Unlimited 3, hahaha. So many things to try, but it's great having an arcade like this in my house. Used to dream about it as a kid.

Get those two on Steam quick!! For me, Cave Co Ltd shmups are the finest of all shmups. Yes they're the bullet-hell variety but I love that. Such a shame that none of their games are out on Switch.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I BEAT DEATH ROAD TO CANADA. FINALLY!

That game was starting to really frustrate me, but actually I got to a point where I was understanding its deeper systems and really enjoying it. Will probably go back once I've cleared more of my backlog!

Next; Ms. Splosion Man!

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
( Double posting from the glorious shmup thread... )

There is a new Japanese shmup release for Switch and Xbox One that seems to have been completely ignored in STG communities.

Its name is 'Alien Cruise', and it's one of the weirdest shmups ever made.

The game is a love letter to the 'Gradius' and 'Parodius' series, being a horizontal shmup in which the obstacles in the scenario are a significant part of the level design, following a tradition of memorization shmups from the mid 80s and early 90s.

It remembers me A LOT to 'Cambria Sword' in its WILD spirit: it's a flawed game, far from being a classic, with some disappointing things like the sound design (probably, the worst sound design that I have ever found in a Japanese shmup).

But oh man, like 'Cambria Sword', this game is one of the most insane accumulations of crazy and weird ideas, with every segment of the game blowing your head with its level of madness.

A showcase of fucking gigantic enemies after fucking gigantic enemies, with a level of surrealness on par with 'PuLiRuLa'. And tons of homages to Konami classics like the volcanoes from 'Darius', and constant changes in the gameplay mechanics with every crazy idea from a brain consumed by psychedelic drugs thrown into the mix.

009.jpg

With a distinctive comic look, making of this one of the most creative artistic designs that I have found in a shooting game.

It really remembers me to some of the most obscure titles released for the PC Engine, with echoes of 'Cho Aniki', 'Hana Taaka Daka!?', 'L-Dis', 'God Panic'... YEAH, that level of madness.

The weapon system sucks, with TOO many weapons, every one intended to play a different segment... I think that a system with less weapons, but upgrading these through the accumulation of power-ups, should have worked much better.

And because the sub-par sound design, the feeling of destroying things which is a seminal part of the shmup experience, it's not very accomplished.

But the game is so damn creative and weird, and so varied and surprising with each level feeling completely different in a 'Genetos' way, that at the end of the day you will forgive its flaws, playing this with a smile of pure happiness on your face.

And it's one of the rare contemporary shumps with a two players local co-op mode.

Dec 14, 2017
Hob is a nice game. Nothing's great, but it's reasonably beautiful, the world is reasonably interesting, the combat is reasonably fun, the pacing is reasonably well managed. A mix of link to the past, Rime, and a metroidvania maybe. I'm near the end I think. Also it's a very solid port given how it performs on other machines.
Good stuff, though I'm still surprised that of all the games, panic button chose this one to port. Bring on Rage 2, you cowards.
I got it now PS4 but never played it. The idea of it really fascinated me, but I heard performance was not so good on the PS4.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Alright folks, time to get shilled on another random weirdo indie game by Camjo-Z. This time it's Agartha-S, a game so apparently uninteresting to most that it's only been mentioned on this website out of obligation in lists of weekly game releases and sales.

This game is a weird little platformer with a bit of Worms mixed in. You play as a Gunner who runs around these completely destructible stages, with the only goal being to get to the exit marked on the map with a yellow dot (or find a hidden exit that's not marked at all). You have four weapons with a limited amount of ammo that all have different uses. Your Gatling Gun rapidly fires bullets that destroy both enemies and terrain, your Flame Gun is useful for melting ice or turning water into steam, your Ice Beam does the opposite and freezes steam back into water or water into ice, and your Bazooka is perfect for chipping away at large chunks of earth.

euBVNb6l.jpg

With these abilities, the challenge lies in reaching the goal without running out of ammo, getting killed by the random critters lurking in the stage, or accidentally getting yourself into an area you can't get out of. It's really neat to run around the stages because destroying terrain tends to have a bit of a chain reaction, for example shooting a hole into a pile of loose dirt will cause all the rest of the dirt to spill down and fill in the hole you made. There are also some cool unexpected ways to make it through stages, I had a lot of trouble with the cavernous D-2 level until I realized that I could just blow up spots that had lots of water and flood the cave to easily swim through it.

ARLgBNOl.jpg

The game has a strange non-linear structure, so it's got a very adventurous and mysterious feel to it. You can also obtain meat and gems in each stage that can be spent at the shop to unlock new characters, such as the wizard who trades the gun for a thunder spell that has bonus range in water, and can use a devastating close range Flare Bomb to clear out space.

Overall, I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes quirky eShop games that are a little janky but have a lot of personality. It's normally $7.99 but currently on sale at 50% off until the 25th, so go ahead and grab it if you like what you see.

Ooh, nice. At that price, I'm sold!

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
All very good choices. Dragon's Blaze is the best Psikyo game IMO followed by the other two you mentioned, I'd say. Though I'm a big horizontal shmup fan so Tengai is up there for me. I saw your post about Black Bird in the OT and community thread. Did you ever find out the intricacies of the scoring? That game is criminally underrated so info is scarce. It's so good.

I'm still puzzling it out, actually. The trains and the little root/asparagus rockets are driving me crazy; it still seems completely random.

I did discover that you get the most points from destroying targets though (bigger points, bigger gems, bigger combo), so getting ridiculous scores is a combination of racking up kills in quick succession and using bombs at precisely the right time (peak multiplier), preferably around the target stations. The game's different endings are all definitely dependent on scoring, so getting to that peak multiplier is doubly important for progress. I managed over 2 million points once using a single bomb because I allowed myself to become surrounded and happened to have weakened one of the towers just enough to include it in a massive combo.

Some of the environmental damage also appears to be bomb-able, so while you can shoot the windmill or the weather vane for a few thousand points, you can wrap them up in one of your combos and score much, much higher by bombing it at the same time as a bunch of enemies.

Oh, and the game doesn't better reward either time or number of enemies killed: it weighs them together, and there seems to be a middle point that nets the biggest returns. So the more you kill in the shortest amount of time, the more points you score (of course), but don't do it too quick because you might miss out on environmental triggers or other things that happen within a set amount of time. It's nuts. The trick is, in part, planning a route so that you can trigger environmental damage, kill enemies, and take down targets in a way that prevents the combo meter from depleting. I tried several times to see whether or not I would get more out of staying on a level or chewing through it and found I was always getting better bonuses at the end of the stage when I balanced the two. I've also found that it helps to take every other target down and use the time in between to build up that combo meter. Theoretically you could wait to build up your meter complete before destroying a target, but I think it'd be hard to take down the targets and keep you meter high.

Anyway, I think people are still puzzling this thing out too. I have found virtually no help on the Internet and what I have found is in Japanese and not as helpful as I'd like it to be even when translated in what seems like a competent way.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Saw that MH Gen U is on sale. Anyone have experience with jumping back into Gen U after World? I really appreciated all the QoL things MH World added, and I dunno if I can grind like that still. It's been years since I had to harvest paintberries, farm charms, pray to RNGesus for gems/plates, and do all that good stuff.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What are your recs for cool short games ? Not rogue lites unless they have a cool twist to it. I want to feel like I'm progressing towards something. Right now I'm thinking the Red Strings Club and Baba is You

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
What are your recs for cool short games ? Not rogue lites unless they have a cool twist to it. I want to feel like I'm progressing towards something. Right now I'm thinking the Red Strings Club and Baba is You

Subsurface Circular+ Quarantine Circular
Inside
The Gardens Between
Gris
Minit

It is so weird to see Baba is You being mentioned as a short game when it has sooooo many puzzles and easily tens of hours of (unique) content.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Mechstermination Force is a recent one if you're into boss rush games. It's basically the lovechild of Contra and Shadow of the Colossus.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

You'd probably dig Tangledeep. It's a roguelike (turn-based, grid-based), but you can turn perma-death off. It's highly evocative of classic SNES JRPGs, from its pixel art to its OST. Would probably take you ~10-15 hours to finish the story, but there's a challenging NG+, and infinite playability.

The best part is its job system — think FFT, FFV, FFXII, Bravely/Octopath, but condensed into one character. Twelve jobs (thirteen with the upcoming expansion DLC) to mix-and-match to create unique synergistic builds, along with other avenues of character progression, such as weapon masteries, or empowering your equipment by entering and beating the dream world of a given equip.

There's also meta progression if you do want to tackle it with perma-death. As long as you use the same save file, your food garden, monster corral (you can tame/breed powerful pets), and banked items/gold carry over to new characters. Personally, I thought the game did a stellar job of making me almost look forward to each death, so I could try a new job build.

Oh, and my avatar is the main character.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw that MH Gen U is on sale. Anyone have experience with jumping back into Gen U after World? I really appreciated all the QoL things MH World added, and I dunno if I can grind like that still. It's been years since I had to harvest paintberries, farm charms, pray to RNGesus for gems/plates, and do all that good stuff.
it feels like shit.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

The biggest problem isn't so much the lack of QoL features, I mean I never found the connected maps to be really a major change from the classic arenas, or the slight wait to pick up loot to be a "game-changer"... World is full of niceties and certainly some aspects will be felt and missed, but ultimately it's not as problematic as the internet advertises.

The biggest problem you will face however, is dealing with Generation's limp and overstuffed progression. Even divorced from World entirely, it was a weak and sluggish climb on its own even compared to the other 3DS games. Way too many gathering quests(many can be ignored though). But it's kind of insane how much bloat there is. Beyond that, I felt the styles and super abilities broke the game too much. The challenge isn't really there until way late game, and this makes the progression feel even less satisfying. (I wish MH4U was ported instead)

It does have lots of monsters and the nostalgia is nice for old zones compiled, but it may feel too dated and a bit dull if coming at it as a newcomer.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
You'd probably dig Tangledeep. It's a roguelike (turn-based, grid-based), but you can turn perma-death off. It's highly evocative of classic SNES JRPGs, from its pixel art to its OST. Would probably take you ~10-15 hours to finish the story, but there's a challenging NG+, and infinite playability.

The best part is its job system — think FFT, FFV, FFXII, Bravely/Octopath, but condensed into one character. Twelve jobs (thirteen with the upcoming expansion DLC) to mix-and-match to create unique synergistic builds, along with other avenues of character progression, such as weapon masteries, or empowering your equipment by entering and beating the dream world of a given equip.

There's also meta progression if you do want to tackle it with perma-death. As long as you use the same save file, your food garden, monster corral (you can tame/breed powerful pets), and banked items/gold carry over to new characters. Personally, I thought the game did a stellar job of making me almost look forward to each death, so I could try a new job build.

Oh, and my avatar is the main character.
Hold on, Tangledeep has all this? Damn, I didn't know...

Wished I picked this up instead of Wargrove.

Edit:
Oh yeah, I remember looking into this and seeing that the Switch version was more money than the PC version. That'swhy I didn't look further into it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

If you had a problem originally with old MH it wont feel good. PErsonally I think GenU is amazing when it gets going.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Edit:
Oh yeah, I remember looking into this and seeing that the Switch version was more money than the PC version. That'swhy I didn't look further into it.

It's worth every penny. Honestly my favorite game of the year so far. Wish it hadn't gotten overshadowed by Wargroove (which was good, but IMO not as good).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies Luulubuu , No Depth, Gotdatmoney.

I'll have to dig into some gameplay videos to refresh myself, but that ramp up is what I dread most in every one of these games now that I think about it. Wish you could just drop into high rank immediately and then work your way up to G.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the replies Luulubuu , No Depth Gotdatmoney .

I'll have to dig into some gameplay videos to refresh myself, but that ramp up is what I dread most in every one of these games now that I think about it. Wish you could just drop into high rank immediately and then work your way up to G.

Online progression is pretty quick, Tbh I had a vanilla gen file already though so I have some bias.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up Starlink for £21 which I think is a really good price. Closest thing to a new Starfox game!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tangledeep is awesome and a great introductory title for Mystery Dungeon-esque roguelikes.
Red Strings Club would be a good pick actually. It's really good and one of my few complaints is that I wanted it to last a bit more.

Here are my impressions from an older thread
Finished The Red Strings Club. That was really good.

It's a pretty bold cyberpunk adventure game, one of those that do cyberpunk "right" in my eyes. Some very interesting takes on gender, sexuality, transhumanism and how technology interacts with it all. A couple of really hard choices here and there too; that surprised. Very thought provoking.

A couple flaws I can think of would be that some gameplay elements aren't very well suited for Switch (I'm guessing they work better with touch controls, which are a thing but I didn't try them), but if this is the only version you have access to the it's definitely playable; these sections are few and far in between anyway. Game is kinda short too, which is a shame because I really wanted more out of these characters and world; I think it's more or less 4 hours long, though there's a lot of choices that change outcomes and the game encourages more playthroughs.

There's a plot point that can be considered problematic tho, and it bothered me but it's relatively spoilery (knowing about it won't ruin the story for you tho)
A late game puzzle requires you to use a trans person's deadname to solve it. This, according to the developers (one of which is a trans woman) was done to paint a certain character as a tactless moron.

But yeah, game was awesome. It's really too bad it's so plot centered and didn't offer some more conversations that didn't specifically serve the main narrative.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
( Double posting from the glorious shmup thread... )

There is a new Japanese shmup release for Switch and Xbox One that seems to have been completely ignored in STG communities.

Its name is 'Alien Cruise', and it's one of the weirdest shmups ever made.

The game is a love letter to the 'Gradius' and 'Parodius' series, being a horizontal shmup in which the obstacles in the scenario are a significant part of the level design, following a tradition of memorization shmups from the mid 80s and early 90s.

It remembers me A LOT to 'Cambria Sword' in its WILD spirit: it's a flawed game, far from being a classic, with some disappointing things like the sound design (probably, the worst sound design that I have ever found in a Japanese shmup).

But oh man, like 'Cambria Sword', this game is one of the most insane accumulations of crazy and weird ideas, with every segment of the game blowing your head with its level of madness.

A showcase of fucking gigantic enemies after fucking gigantic enemies, with a level of surrealness on par with 'PuLiRuLa'. And tons of homages to Konami classics like the volcanoes from 'Darius', and constant changes in the gameplay mechanics with every crazy idea from a brain consumed by psychedelic drugs thrown into the mix.

009.jpg

With a distinctive comic look, making of this one of the most creative artistic designs that I have found in a shooting game.

It really remembers me to some of the most obscure titles released for the PC Engine, with echoes of 'Cho Aniki', 'Hana Taaka Daka!?', 'L-Dis', 'God Panic'... YEAH, that level of madness.

The weapon system sucks, with TOO many weapons, every one intended to play a different segment... I think that a system with less weapons, but upgrading these through the accumulation of power-ups, should have worked much better.

And because the sub-par sound design, the feeling of destroying things which is a seminal part of the shmup experience, it's not very accomplished.

But the game is so damn creative and weird, and so varied and surprising with each level feeling completely different in a 'Genetos' way, that at the end of the day you will forgive its flaws, playing this with a smile of pure happiness on your face.

And it's one of the rare contemporary shumps with a two players local co-op mode.

So tempted to get this as it looks really cool...but I cant tell from your post if it's good or not.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I know this might sound odd, but I'm really bummed out that I can't buy FFX-2 by itself.
On the topic of people who only started playing FFX-2 for the first time on the Switch, how are you handling combat and the job system? I find it really annoying that you can't stop combat to carefully plan your next move, and most of the time it seams like keeping all 3 MC with the same job is just right, which is odd.
I already have most of the games with crazy low MXN eShop's prices so for now I have some leftovers, I'm sure something good will pop up soon. :D
How do you buy on MX eShop though? They don't take EU cards.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I'm in EU.
I used to think as well and I gave up a while ago but today I decided to have a look around once again and I've finally found an estore (with an app as well) where you can buy instantaneus MXN eShop codes for MX$200/$500 (they accept a ton of different payments too, even PP Wallet) and there's just an 1€ overhead every €12 so still worth it.

Grabbed SENUA for around €14,20 in the end.

SEAGM.

I've bought it directly from their iOS app.

How do you buy on MX eShop though? They don't take EU cards.

This should answer your question, hopefully.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i tried the monhun gen demo and it felt absolutely terrible to play
i dunno if the game is just slow or if its framerate issues or something

also loading screens between tiny regions is awful

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

Edit:

Whether you get it for PC or Switch, Tangledeep is must-play. Top 5 Roguelike ever. Combines classic mechanics with some lite and Mystery Dungeon qualities. Others disagree but I think it's closer to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup than Mystery Dungeon actually, with a lot of mechanics and ideas that call out other awesome roguelikes, including Brogue. It's just all masked by a better UI, sharp graphics, and a more forgiving difficulty depending on the class you use. Absolute gem.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally bit the bullet on Crypt of the Necrodancer, because the game never seems to go on sale.

MAN I should have bought this ages ago. What an incredible game! I'm now incredibly excited for Cadence of Hyrule.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Necrodancer is worth every cent. I've bought it like four times by now on different platforms and IMO it's top 10 material in the Switch's library.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
So I finally started playing Dark Souls this weekend, and boy if this game controls like ass. It's not particularly difficult, it's just that the character moves like a terminally ill slug, and the camera... Well there's no camera work by the devs. Also the character can apparently kick, but that only happens when the stars are aligned. I'm not gonna mention the utterly stupid button mapping of the menu, which appears to me as a metaphor for the artificial difficulty of the game.
I ain't playing that crap no more. I can't believe it could be so successful. I really feel that a whole branch of modern games and myself grew apart from each other. Katana zero can't come soon enough.