• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oct 29, 2017
Would you recommend YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY-?

It's 30% off.
I'm going to speak from the perspective of the PC version, I do not know how the switch version runs, etc.

I'd wait til a lower discount personally. The thing is... it's not a good game, but it's interesting. The original Yume Nikki (which is free, on Steam & other download sites), is pretty much a pure exploration game. You have to "solve" some "puzzles" in order to "beat the game", but for the most part you wander around strange hellscapes while the dark ambient score creeps you out. YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY- (henseforth referred to as Dream Diary)... isn't that. In it's initial release, it is a puzzle platformer akin to LIMBO, INSIDE, and Little Nightmares. It's made with the supervision and direction of the original creator... but it's not Yume Nikki in any stretch of the imagination. Then the 2.0 release came out, and it's a tad closer to the original game. You can freely explore, more locations have been added, structure is much looser... but there still is that structure. You will find yourself unable to progress in some areas because there is an explicit (rather than soft puzzles in the original) puzzle blocking your path. And Dream Diary doesn't have very good puzzles. The first one involves you waiting until an "enemy" looks away. The second one is a combination written in blood on a wall, with dials that don't work they way you would think.

As a puzzle platformer it's a bad game. As a re-imagining of Yume Nikki however, Dream Diary is very interesting. It takes a lot from the original structure and tries to make it more of a game. Not a great one (I haven't finished it, for what it's worth), but it has some ideas.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Finally bit the bullet on Crypt of the Necrodancer, because the game never seems to go on sale.

MAN I should have bought this ages ago. What an incredible game! I'm now incredibly excited for Cadence of Hyrule.
The deepest discount for it was $5 off according to price tracking. Seems pulling the trigger was a good choice given it doesn't go on sale often either in the US eShop.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/2146345/crypt-of-the-necrodancer-nintendo-switch-edition

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
So I finally started playing Dark Souls this weekend, and boy if this game controls like ass. It's not particularly difficult, it's just that the character moves like a terminally ill slug, and the camera... Well there's no camera work by the devs. Also the character can apparently kick, but that only happens when the stars are aligned. I'm not gonna mention the utterly stupid button mapping of the menu, which appears to me as a metaphor for the artificial difficulty of the game.
I ain't playing that crap no more. I can't believe it could be so successful. I really feel that a whole branch of modern games and myself grew apart from each other. Katana zero can't come soon enough.

I thought the same when I got Dark Souls on my X360.

I got it on PC eventually for some reason. The same happened.

Then, on 2017, I decided to give it another go.

I beat the game and I freaking love it.

The game pissed me off multiple times for a variety of reasons before I started to like it, but I'm glad I kept coming back to it because there was a tremendous game hidden beneath all the frustration I got on my first few tries.

My advice is: try again in a few months. Of course, it might not be your cup of tea after all, but who knows?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls controls as intended and everything is consciously designed around that fact. You can dislike it, but it doesn't mean it's broken.

One of the reasons Souls as a whole became popular to begin with is that it had its own identity and defied a lot of what was considered standard at the time, so of course you'll have to adapt to it.

Personally, I got Demon's Souls back when it first released in the US, tried it... Couldn't get used to it, dropped it. After a year tried it again, got a bit farther... Then dropped it again. The next year tho I stuck to it and boy, it's one of my all time favorite series now.

It's also damn good.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Hellblade is intense, played for about an hour today. But also, it's kinda boring... but still... interesting..?

I mean, it's a freaking walking simulator. I wish there was at least something else to collect or explore in the environment, but then it would feel too video gamey. But the "levels" are mostly just linear corridors, until you hit more open-hub areas where you have to explore around and solve the environmental puzzles, which are clever and neat. But it reminds me a lot like Silent Hill Shattered Memories: where there's "explore time" with lots of haunting noises and such, but you know nothing is going to attack or you anything, so you're in no real danger. And then there's very clearly marked "fight time", which the battles are simple and brief. It plays out like a really really simple Punch-Out.

It's not a game I can really play for long stretches, but its cool to play with headphones and my kids are running around trying to watch me play. It's something of a "relaxing" game in the weirdest way since its so intense and scary haha.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Finished Mechstermination Force this weekend. Played through the whole thing in coop and loved it. Comparisons to Cuphead feel inaccurate. It is no where near as hard and there is an emphasis on climbing each of the bosses. It is much closer to a bit sized 2D Shadow of the Colossus.

Also finished Pikuniku. That game was a little eh. The game purposely controls like poop and the overarching story isn't engaging at all. It is brain dead simple outside of a tiny amount of optional zones that actually require timing. The big saving grace is the hilarious writing and situations. Doesn't feel like is should cost more than $5 for what it is. I'll try the coop at some point in the future.

I started playing Overwhelm in coop as well. That game is incredible for making such a simple art style spooky. It is a horror rouge-lite that always has the same map but shuffles enemy placement. It is also a reverse Mega-Man, where every time you defeat a boss, the enemies in the world get powered up instead of you. One hit = death, three deaths = game over. You can chose to start a run at the same location as any boss you have previously beaten to save a bit of time.

So far we have beaten two bosses and reached a third. I am not seeing how the hell we are supposed to beat all the bosses in one run, especially since we burn through ammo really quick because we shoot any time we think we see something. Luckily the options allow you to break the game's difficulty and get unlimited ammo or unlimited lives so if it does eventually break us we can just break the game back.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Other than having it pre-downloaded for release, nothing.

Has anyone played Switch 'n Shoot? The incredibly-similar style to Downwell has me very interested along with the low price.
I bought Switch NShoot and refunded it after about 10 minutes on Steam. It's the kind of arcade game you'll know within a few minutes if it's going to hook you for hours, or not.

I'd recommend checking it out for such a cheap price, but it wasn't for me.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Has anyone played Switch 'n Shoot? The incredibly-similar style to Downwell has me very interested along with the low price.
I have, it's a really good time. Definitely nowhere near as much stuff going on as Downwell, it's a much more straightforward arcadey game, with only a couple mechanics outside of the main one (you're always moving left or right and change directions by shooting), but it picks up in intensity pretty quickly and the core mechanic is a lot of fun and is pretty brainbendy at first. Like Downwell, you unlock selectable color pallets for hitting certain milestones, but there's also the option to put together your own color scheme rather than the premade ones which is sort of neat. I grabbed it with gold points but I certainly wouldn't have minded paying the asking price for what it is.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Thumbs up for Mechstermination Force if anyone is on the fence for a weekend romp. The boss fights are super creative and that's the main core of the game. There are some slight control issues (jump and climb sometimes can be a bit hit or miss) that will hopefully get patched soon, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

Now the wait for Steamworld Quest...

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm still puzzling it out, actually. The trains and the little root/asparagus rockets are driving me crazy; it still seems completely random.

I did discover that you get the most points from destroying targets though (bigger points, bigger gems, bigger combo), so getting ridiculous scores is a combination of racking up kills in quick succession and using bombs at precisely the right time (peak multiplier), preferably around the target stations. The game's different endings are all definitely dependent on scoring, so getting to that peak multiplier is doubly important for progress. I managed over 2 million points once using a single bomb because I allowed myself to become surrounded and happened to have weakened one of the towers just enough to include it in a massive combo.

Some of the environmental damage also appears to be bomb-able, so while you can shoot the windmill or the weather vane for a few thousand points, you can wrap them up in one of your combos and score much, much higher by bombing it at the same time as a bunch of enemies.

Oh, and the game doesn't better reward either time or number of enemies killed: it weighs them together, and there seems to be a middle point that nets the biggest returns. So the more you kill in the shortest amount of time, the more points you score (of course), but don't do it too quick because you might miss out on environmental triggers or other things that happen within a set amount of time. It's nuts. The trick is, in part, planning a route so that you can trigger environmental damage, kill enemies, and take down targets in a way that prevents the combo meter from depleting. I tried several times to see whether or not I would get more out of staying on a level or chewing through it and found I was always getting better bonuses at the end of the stage when I balanced the two. I've also found that it helps to take every other target down and use the time in between to build up that combo meter. Theoretically you could wait to build up your meter complete before destroying a target, but I think it'd be hard to take down the targets and keep you meter high.

Anyway, I think people are still puzzling this thing out too. I have found virtually no help on the Internet and what I have found is in Japanese and not as helpful as I'd like it to be even when translated in what seems like a competent way.
That's helpful, thank you. I had pieced a bit of that together from watching some expert runs on YouTube but you helped fill in some blanks. I didn't know that certain environmental objects can be interacted with through the bomb -- that is so cool. I really like a game I can sink my teeth into and feel like there's a lot to discover, so this game is right up my alley. It feels like a game made by someone who really understands shmups while also wanting to push and pull the genre in weird ways. If you like this game, you should check out Millionaire Onion Hotel on mobile. It's the same dev and has a lot of the same mystique and charm.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jeez, way too many games and I'm getting paid so soon as well. Hellblade, Baba is You, Yoshi, Skyrim (got it on PC but OG version and this is cheaper), Hob and probably something else no doubt.

And people said the Switch doesn't have games. Bullshit. I'm buying more games in a period of time then I've ever done before on Steam or console. I've got 424 games on Steam but the Switch is really making me contemplate when to buy games on PC or Switch now.

Also I did mention it a few pages back, but does anyone have any recommendations on local co-op titles similar to Lego?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about grabbing Ys VIII. How is it on Switch? I could grab it on Steam or PS4 (regular, not pro), but I like being and to play in bed or on the couch while the wife watches TV. Is the portability and lower FPS workable?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about grabbing Ys VIII. How is it on Switch? I could grab it on Steam or PS4 (regular, not pro), but I like being and to play in bed or on the couch while the wife watches TV. Is the portability and lower FPS workable?

Just played it on Switch. I would recommend getting it on PS4. And I'm not someone who normally cares overmuch about performance.

The resolution is generally pretty bad, comparable to XB2 handheld, and the performance, while usually solid enough, tanks in certain segments and areas of the game. The dynamic resolution it employs is a bit buggy, and in every single conversation with an NPC, you'll notice the background blurring/stretching then snapping back — very distractingly.

It's supposed to be a decently pretty game on PS4, but the Switch version is more often ugly. I enjoyed the game immensely, and the Switch version is still serviceable, but it's a bad port all told.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Just played it on Switch. I would recommend getting it on PS4. And I'm not someone who normally cares overmuch about performance.

The resolution is generally pretty bad, comparable to XB2 handheld, and the performance, while usually solid enough, tanks in certain segments and areas of the game. The dynamic resolution it employs is a bit buggy, and in every single conversation with an NPC, you'll notice the background blurring/stretching then snapping back — very distractingly.

It's supposed to be a decently pretty game on PS4, but the Switch version is more often ugly. I enjoyed the game immensely, and the Switch version is still serviceable, but it's a bad port all told.

Thanks for the quick and dirty review. I've been contemplating a second PS4 (a Pro) for the living room...This may be the push I need to finally pull the trigger on it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah ys 8 on the Switch isn't à good port at all. Which is frustrating cause I don't see why a vita game should run this bad.

Well, it was a port of the PS4 version, not the Vita version which had less content as I understand it. But the port is still quite bad, and it should have run considerably better on Switch.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So I finally started playing Dark Souls this weekend, and boy if this game controls like ass. It's not particularly difficult, it's just that the character moves like a terminally ill slug, and the camera... Well there's no camera work by the devs. Also the character can apparently kick, but that only happens when the stars are aligned. I'm not gonna mention the utterly stupid button mapping of the menu, which appears to me as a metaphor for the artificial difficulty of the game.
I ain't playing that crap no more. I can't believe it could be so successful. I really feel that a whole branch of modern games and myself grew apart from each other. Katana zero can't come soon enough.

The switch version suffers from abysmal framerate which I hear is better on PS4 since it runs in 60PS and is the actual remastered version instead of the OG version with the OG textures like Switch got. Won't stop the clunky feeling of the game though or the lack of a pause, but if smoother framerate is the issue then that's an option. Still bummed the devs didn't bother to make it 60FPS or at lease base it off the actual remastered assets... Feels kinda misleading to call DS on Switch "Remastered" for that reason

Yeah ys 8 on the Switch isn't à good port at all. Which is frustrating cause I don't see why a vita game should run this bad.

Yeah. It's still superior to the Vita version since that gets in the early 20s and is very annoying to deal with, especially if you play it on a PSTV and compared it to Switch docked, but there's NO EXCUSE for Ys 8 to be 30FPS on Switch. NIS really crapped out on that one and it makes the PS4 exclusive stuff like the extra dungeons and inferno mode stupidly difficult since they weren't made with 30 FPS in mind like the rest of the game. (which at least were meant to run on vita, and running better on switch than Vita is still some benefit).

Ys 8 is still a godlike game that's at least not the worst 30FPS downgrade I've seen (SNK Heroines and Doom/Wolf II take that prize) but it deserved much more. I'd gladly taken the low resolution getting lower for proper 60FPS.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally bit the bullet on Crypt of the Necrodancer, because the game never seems to go on sale.

MAN I should have bought this ages ago. What an incredible game! I'm now incredibly excited for Cadence of Hyrule.
Yeah, I regret not getting it when it went on sale a while ago. Been thinking of buying it full price recently...

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally started The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa and I'm really digging it. It's directionless and quiet, but that's just part of the fun, as so far I'm pretty engrossed getting used to the town's layout, exploring everything and talking to everyone.

Very cool sense of atmosphere and style.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 16 - Path to Mnemosyne - Hidden Trap - $9.99/€9.99 - 871 MB
  • 16 - Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions - Playfusion - Free-to-Play - 97 MB
  • 16 - My Time At Portia - Team17 - $29.99/€29.99 - 2.6 GB
  • 16 - Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster - Square Enix - $49.99/€49.99 - 26.9 GB
  • 16 - Tanks Meet Zombies - TitanForgedGames - $9.99/€9.99 - 576 MB
    --
  • 17 - Truberbrook - Headup Games - $29.99/€29.99 (Preorder sale: €26.99) - 6.1 GB
    --
  • 18 - Cuphead - Studio MDHR - $19.99/€19.99 - 3.3 GB
  • 18 - Katana ZERO - Askiisoft/Devolver Digital - $14.99/€14.99 - 244 MB
  • 18 - Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection - Konami - $19.99/€19.99
  • 18 - Our World Is Ended - Pqube - $59.99/€49.99 (Preorder sale: $53.99/€44.99) - 2.8 GB
  • 18 - Hell is Other Demons - Kongregate - $9.99/€9.99 - 409 MB
  • 18 - The Padre - Feardemic - $19.99/€19.99 - 2.9 GB
  • 18 - Dawn of Survivors - Wistone Ent. - $1.99/€1.79 - 379 MB
  • 18 - Cafeteria Nipponica - Kairosoft - $12.00/€10.00 - 229 MB
  • 18 - SlabWell: The Quest For Kaktun's Alpaca - $7.99/€9.99 (Preorder sale: €7.99) - 1.0 GB
  • 18 - The Knight & The Dragon - Naps Team - $7.99/€9.99 - 176 MB
  • 18 - DayD: Through Time - 8Floor Games - $9.99/€8.79 - 716 MB
  • 18 - Sudoku Relax - G-mode - $5.00/€5.09 - 57 MB
    --
  • 19 - You Died but a Necromancer Revived You - JaimeAlvarezLosada - $8.99/€8.99 - 243 MB
  • 19 - Alpha - Kaname - $5.00 - 264 MB
  • 19 - Moto Rush GT - Baltoro Games - $14.99/€14.99 (Preorder sale: $10.49/€10.49) - 2.3 GB
  • 19 - Active Soccer 2019 - Gianluca Troiano - $11.99/€9.99 - 544 MB
    --
  • 20 - GoatPunks - Mellifont Santiago - $9.99/€8.90 - 574 MB *04/27 on NA*

Nintendo Switch - DLCs

• Overcooked! 2 - Team 17
    18 - Season Pass - $18.99/€18.99
    18 - Campfire Cook Off - $5.99/€4.99 - *Included in the Season Pass*

- Japan
  • 16 - Scrap Rush!! - Acquire - ¥1,680
  • 18 - Langrisser I & II - extreme - ¥7,344
  • 18 - Taishou x Alice: All in One - Protoype - ¥6,000

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm going to speak from the perspective of the PC version, I do not know how the switch version runs, etc.

I'd wait til a lower discount personally. The thing is... it's not a good game, but it's interesting. The original Yume Nikki (which is free, on Steam & other download sites), is pretty much a pure exploration game. You have to "solve" some "puzzles" in order to "beat the game", but for the most part you wander around strange hellscapes while the dark ambient score creeps you out. YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY- (henseforth referred to as Dream Diary)... isn't that. In it's initial release, it is a puzzle platformer akin to LIMBO, INSIDE, and Little Nightmares. It's made with the supervision and direction of the original creator... but it's not Yume Nikki in any stretch of the imagination. Then the 2.0 release came out, and it's a tad closer to the original game. You can freely explore, more locations have been added, structure is much looser... but there still is that structure. You will find yourself unable to progress in some areas because there is an explicit (rather than soft puzzles in the original) puzzle blocking your path. And Dream Diary doesn't have very good puzzles. The first one involves you waiting until an "enemy" looks away. The second one is a combination written in blood on a wall, with dials that don't work they way you would think.

As a puzzle platformer it's a bad game. As a re-imagining of Yume Nikki however, Dream Diary is very interesting. It takes a lot from the original structure and tries to make it more of a game. Not a great one (I haven't finished it, for what it's worth), but it has some ideas.
Thanks! Will wait.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Katana Zero and Cuphead this week... Can't get either at launch, but will most likely grab them when I'm paid. Looking forward to both :)

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
from that same page

Full game installation size: 26.9gb

Ooh well spotted. I wonder if it's because X-2 counts as "DLC", but buying digital just gets you it anyway. Where retail gets you a code for the X-2 component instead.

In comparison, Zodiac Age just lists the ~14gb download and has no extra mention of full installation size.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Word of advice, maybe it's better to buy MXN eShop cards elsewhere since a trusted member PMed me to warn me SEAGM is not 100% in the clear about where they actually source their codes like some iffy keys resellers.

I thought the same when I got Dark Souls on my X360.

I got it on PC eventually for some reason. The same happened.

Then, on 2017, I decided to give it another go.

I beat the game and I freaking love it.

The game pissed me off multiple times for a variety of reasons before I started to like it, but I'm glad I kept coming back to it because there was a tremendous game hidden beneath all the frustration I got on my first few tries.

My advice is: try again in a few months. Of course, it might not be your cup of tea after all, but who knows?
Dark Souls controls as intended and everything is consciously designed around that fact. You can dislike it, but it doesn't mean it's broken.

One of the reasons Souls as a whole became popular to begin with is that it had its own identity and defied a lot of what was considered standard at the time, so of course you'll have to adapt to it.

Personally, I got Demon's Souls back when it first released in the US, tried it... Couldn't get used to it, dropped it. After a year tried it again, got a bit farther... Then dropped it again. The next year tho I stuck to it and boy, it's one of my all time favorite series now.

It's also damn good.

That is my story as well.
It took me two games (Demon's and Dark Souls), multiple copies (PS3 and PC) and YEARS before something clicked and then it became one of my all time favorite series. So glad I stuck with it. The misterious aura surrounding the Souls experience, its "lore" as told in the intros and the audiovisuals all appealed to me a lot but for the actual gameplay to click it took many a fuck-you-I'm done and tries over 4 years. In the end
Dark Souls earned my Game of the Generation accolade together with Super Mario Galaxy.

The stamina bar, everything having a cost and risk/rewards mechanics and, above all, the heavy character movements/actions reflect how a real-ish character would move, and everything in the game is designed around that, it's the opposite of broken: it's masterfully crafted. That doesn't mean everyone can or must like it of course.

I'm still hoping, since everything else appeals to me, that the Monster Hunter series will someday click like it happened with Souls. Can't wait for Dragon's Dogma in a couple weeks!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
That's helpful, thank you. I had pieced a bit of that together from watching some expert runs on YouTube but you helped fill in some blanks. I didn't know that certain environmental objects can be interacted with through the bomb -- that is so cool. I really like a game I can sink my teeth into and feel like there's a lot to discover, so this game is right up my alley. It feels like a game made by someone who really understands shmups while also wanting to push and pull the genre in weird ways. If you like this game, you should check out Millionaire Onion Hotel on mobile. It's the same dev and has a lot of the same mystique and charm.

I should check out some of those videos. Having the opportunity to watch a run (and not focus on dodging and attacking at the same time) will probably reveal a lot. If I could get the trains and asparagus rockets to fire off reliably, I could rack up an insane amount of points with a well-timed bomb. The amount of strategy in this shooter is insane to me, as it's not a matter of route memorization at all.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
That's a shame about Our World is Ended but I'm always up for VN games for the Switch so I already have it downloaded. I'm looking forward to checking it out!

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil

Yeah, I bought it a few years ago on Steam and ended up playing it after the Cadence of Hyrule announcement. It's a masterpiece and I'm now extremely hyped for this sequel on the Switch.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
In addition to 'Super Crate Box', 'Switch 'N' Shoot' and 'Super Weekend Mode', there is other byte-sized arcade masterpiece coming to Switch this month.

'You Died But A Necromancer Revived You' is the first commercial release by BolHut, one of the most talented Spanish teams to emerge from the Itch.io and jam scene.

header.jpg

It will release day and date with the Steam version, and it's an expanded and vastly improved version of the arcade cult classic that won the Comet Jam in 2016, and that can be downloaded and played in this link.

A frantic arcade roguelite looking to a tradition of maze Japanese arcade games, with a masterful level design. And with that je ne sais quoi in its artistic and sound design, gluing you to the controller trying another quick run.

After more than two years in the making, this was one of my most anticipated releases of 2019, along with 'Baba Is You'.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Or register a US Paypal with a university address or anything like that. Works perfect with a European CC. The Paypal account will work on the entire continent.

This is easier said than done. You can't register the same card with multiple PP addresses, which means you have to have a spare card. And Revolut doesn't seem to work because the billing address won't be in the US.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Okay, I think I'm finally getting over my Fortnite addiction, as I am now starting to look for something else to play. Not sure if I want to revisit my existing games or tackle something new.

So in that vein, what turn-based squad tactics games ado y'all recommend? I'm looking for an X-Com-shaped title for my library. I've already played Steamworld Heist, but hesitant on Mario+Rabbids because it's a bit more frivolous than what I'm currently after. I'm considering Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics, though Steam reviews are lukewarm. Any other ideas?

Also, how is Everspace for the Switch? Any problems or raves?

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
So in that vein, what turn-based squad tactics games ado y'all recommend? I'm looking for an X-Com-shaped title for my library. I've already played Steamworld Heist, but hesitant on Mario+Rabbids because it's a bit more frivolous than what I'm currently after. I'm considering Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics, though Steam reviews are lukewarm. Any other ideas?

'Into the Breach' is the only correct answer.

The best turn based strategy game ever made.

A masterclass in level design.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
'Into the Breach' is the only correct answer.

The best turn based strategy game ever made.

A masterclass in level design.
But it isnt an x-com class game so it doesn't fit.

Mutant year Zero is coming and better fits the posters requirements.

I love ItB as much as anyone, but it is not a panacea for wanting TBS when in fact it is more puzzle/rogue/tbs and even more like FTL than it is Xcom.

I honesty hate seeing people recommend it in the same vein as a Fire Emblem or X-Com because it scratches a different itch.

Like if you want well built maps, story and complex enemy ai, do not go into the breach expecting that. You will get a challeng though and it is varied. It is also procgen. Expect well thought out logic puzzles based around load outs and skills that will challenge and reward you like no other. ItB is that kind of game where you can stare at a map for hours trying to puzzle out a solution and not get it and have to come back when you have that eureka moment eating breakfast. I love it but it is just a different animal.

Xcom and others like it are about mastering the actual tactics and movement of a set map with specific enemies. Tactical thinking in a different direction.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Hmmm...

...Dark Souls Remastered...

It's such a clunky experience. It feels almost amateur, and I'm talking about the camera, menu overlays, action buttons.
It lacks so much polish. I've just got to Blighttown and the camera is getting lost amongst all the ladders and I'm falling off perches due to the camera getting confused. And menu overlays come on top of the action while you're fighting or trying to escape.

Also your character doesn't react to the environment...unlike Link in BOTW. He just takes the regular same steps at the same speed regardless of how narrow or dangerous the surface you're walking on is. So it's so easy to fall off things.

I can't say I'm really enjoying it so far. Lucky I got it on sale price.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...

...Dark Souls Remastered...

It's such a clunky experience. It feels almost amateur, and I'm talking about the camera, menu overlays, action buttons.
It lacks so much polish. I've just got to Blighttown and the camera is getting lost amongst all the ladders and I'm falling off perches due to the camera getting confused. And menu overlays come on top of the action while you're fighting or trying to escape.

Also your character doesn't react to the environment...unlike Link in BOTW. He just takes the regular same steps at the same speed regardless of how narrow or dangerous the surface you're walking on is. So it's so easy to fall off things.

I can't say I'm really enjoying it so far. Lucky I got it on sale price.

For as great as the game is, they didn't do a lot to the remaster to improve on some of those old quirks. It still is very much an older game from that era. 2&3 got better but still had some similar issues.

Blighttown is just trash honestly. Regardless of where/when you played the game.

Personally I still prefer 2 over 1 and I know I am in the minority there. I did like 3 best overall though.