• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Hmmm...

...Dark Souls Remastered...

It's such a clunky experience. It feels almost amateur, and I'm talking about the camera, menu overlays, action buttons.
It lacks so much polish. I've just got to Blighttown and the camera is getting lost amongst all the ladders and I'm falling off perches due to the camera getting confused. And menu overlays come on top of the action while you're fighting or trying to escape.

Also your character doesn't react to the environment...unlike Link in BOTW. He just takes the regular same steps at the same speed regardless of how narrow or dangerous the surface you're walking on is. So it's so easy to fall off things.

I can't say I'm really enjoying it so far. Lucky I got it on sale price.

Same as you mate. But all that crap seems to be "deliberate", so that ok you know.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
We're kind of getting off-topic here, but.. :) Aren't you insured with your CC company for that kind of thing though? I mean Netflix, Game Pass and that kind of thing seem to be reputable companies. I do understand the extra ease of mind though with regards to security.
Yeah, I mean those aren't the companies that I'd worry about but they're the ones that pop into mind. There's subs to some language learning aids, etc. But I wonder now if they could just use the cc and other things be done from a US PP account. Hmm...

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
My 10 most played games:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
2. Shining Resonance Refrain
3. Zaccaria Pinball
4. Valkyria Chronicles
5. Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
8. Pinball FX3
9. Hollow Knight
10. Battle Chef Brigade

I'm surprised that the top games are long RPGs. I have little free time to play, but I love RPGs, so I go through them veeeery slooowly... it took me months, but I actually beat Xenoblade 2, Shining Resonance and Valkyria Chronicles.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
My top 11 longest played games:

1. Smash Ultimate (65+ hours)
  2. Mario Odyssey (45+ hours)
  3. Fire Emblem Warriors (45+ hours)
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Breath of the Wild
  6. Octopath Traveler
  7. Yoshi's Crafted World (20+ hours)
  8. Picross S2
  9. Picross S
  10. Kirby Star Allies (20+ hours)
  11. Kemono Friends Picross
I wish I could see more than 20 titles and could actually see ALL the times for my games since I don't own Splatoon 2 or BotW anymore.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
My top 10 :
1. Splatoon 2 : 305h
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 : 230h (+20h for Torna)
3. Zelda BotW : 135h
4. Octopath Traveler : 115h
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe : 100h
6. Baba is You : 75h
7. Mario + Rabbids : 70h
8. Celeste : 40h
8. Ambition of the Slimes : 40h
10. Super Smash Bros Ultimate : 35h
10. Pokémon Let's Go Eevee : 35h

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
One problem that i'm seeing with the sort by more time played is that it counts all switch users playcount since i see some of my wifes top games there that i hardly touched them.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need your help peeps, which FF is worth getting? I only have time for one of either IX, X or XII. I hear XII and IX are the better games but which is everyone's preference? The voice acting is making me lean slightly towards XII, over IX

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
One problem that i'm seeing with the sort by more time played is that it counts all switch users playcount since i see some of my wifes top games there that i hardly touched them.

I noticed this too. Was excited to see my lineup, but it was all shuffled up with a bunch of puzzle games that I've never played.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
I need your help peeps, which FF is worth getting? I only have time for one of either IX, X or XII. I hear XII and IX are the better games but which is everyone's preference? The voice acting is making me lean slightly towards XII, over IX

You can't go wrong with XII or IX, but which one you want depends on the type of the game you want to play. They're pretty different.

X should be last priority out of those three.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding combat in Final Fantasy 12... can you actively control your characters if you want to or is it all handled by those gambit (?) logic things you can write. I guess I don't understand how the combat is handled I just know it's different.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

All of them are good, but as you say, IX and XII are the best choices (IMO).

XII is a serious and somber game with a fairly political story that places a big focus on world-building. Its voice acting is stellar, so if that's something that attracts you, it's hard to beat.

IX has no voice acting, but it's eminently charming — the quintessential Final Fantasy experience. Where XII focuses more on the world, IX focuses intently on the party and their various thematic struggles, the most keen of which might be coming to terms with mortality. It has a real storybook feel.

Both games use ATB, but IX's is traditional, whereas XII was an experimental evolution, combining player input with player-made AI gambits (think Dragon Age: Origins, a game inspired by XII).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding combat in Final Fantasy 12... can you actively control your characters if you want to or is it all handled by those gambit (?) logic things you can write. I guess I don't understand how the combat is handled I just know it's different.

It's a combination of the two. As the game goes on, you unlock more and more gambit slots and behaviors, allowing you to more fully set-up AI tactics. You'll almost always have reason to take manual control, though, as things happen that the AI can't (yet) account for.

That said, gambits are entirely optional, and the extent you use them is up to you. Like I said in the other post, the gameplay is comparable to Dragon Age: Origins, if you've played it.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
What are your guys top 10 most played Switch games? (Available now by sorting your library). So thirsty for a proper activity log!

1. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5. Stardew Valley
6. Hollow Knight
7. Skyrim
8. Doom
9. Death Road to Canada
10. Enter the Gungeon

A nice mix of Nintendo, third party, and indie games.
EMqcnKLh.jpg

Top 3 is not surprising in the least (Octopath 80+ hours, Breath of The Wild ~200 and Xenoblade 2 250+) but I was surprised to see Hollow Knight so high but then I quickly remembered I put like 40 hours into that game. And that's without seeing anything from its expansions.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
What are your guys top 10 most played Switch games? (Available now by sorting your library). So thirsty for a proper activity log!

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Torna The Golden Country (I bought Torna physical, so it shows up as a separate game)
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu
5. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
6. Golf Story
7. Mario Kart 8
8. NBA 2k18
9. Splatoon 2
10. Fortnite

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
EMqcnKLh.jpg

Top 3 is not surprising in the least (Octopath 80+ hours, Breath of The Wild ~200 and Xenoblade 2 250+) but I was surprised to see Hollow Knight so high but then I quickly remembered I put like 40 hours into that game. And that's without seeing anything from its expansions.
Seeing Hollow Knight in a lot of people's lists (including my own). That is one beefy game, regardless of indie status. I've never touched the expansions either. Got to say the difficulty turns me off somewhat; it was enough to get the "bad ending" for me, still a superb game. The sequel will be long awaited by me.

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017

Zelda BotW
Smash Bros
Payday 2
NBA Playgrounds
Youtube
Fortnite
Hyrule Warriors
Pokemon Lets Go Evee
Diablo 3
Pokken
Hulu
Travis Strikes Again

Top 10 games and 2 movie/tv

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
1. Splatoon 2
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
3. Zelda BotW
4. Skyrim
5. Smash
6. Octopath Traveler
7. Super Mario Odyssey
8. Picross S2
9. Mario+Rabbids
10. Picross S

First two are both over 200 hours I know. Zelda I think was around 120.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
1- Fortnite
2- Smash
3- MHGU
4- Lost Sphear
5- Hollow Knight
6- Rocket League
7- Piczle Colors
8- SMO
9-Ghost 1.0
10- FF15HDPE

Ah yes, FF15HDPE. The game I bought because I didn't have a PS4 and wanted to learn about the story of ff15. Great freakin' job, me from the past.
I bought it day 1, but I wonder if I can still return it...
Also I'm not surprised with Fortnite. It's the only game that I can play with my friends (they have ps4s)

Edit: Oh yeah almost forgot. Thanks to the person(s) who answered my question about FEW. A shame.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Zelda
Smash
Rocket League
Mario Kart 8
Arms
Odyssey
Octopath Traveler
Y's VIII

The only one the surprises me is Octopath cause yeah I know it's a JRPG, but I really didn't like the game . I guess finishing a few chapter 4s gave me enough time for it to be in the top ten.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Top 10 from me:
  1. Disgaea 5
  2. Isaac, Afterbirth +
  3. Breath of the Wild
  4. Enter the Gungeon
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (even though I never finished it)
  6. Hollow Knight
  7. Rocket League
  8. Steredenn: Binary Stars
  9. Mario Kart 8
  10. Minecraft

Deleted member 12933

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1. Rocket League
2. Zelda BoTW
3. Has Been Heroes (this one surprised me)
4. Smash Ultimate
5. Mario & Rabbids
6. Mario Odyssey
7. Bloons TD5
8. Mario Deluxe
9. Pokemon Quest
10. Splatoon 2

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Splatoon 2
2. Octopath Traveler
3. Smash
4. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu
5. Hollow Knight
6. Golf Story
7. Sonic Mania
8. Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission
9. Battle Chef Brigade
10. Tangledeep

Not the most exciting list as a lot of my favorite Switch games are kinda short, but yeah. I didn't like Let's Go much and it's missing Xenoblade 2, which I spent 70+ hours on but have since deleted.

For context, I've played 17:25 hours of Tangledeep and "95 or more" of Splatoon 2.

Hollow Knight /is/ the GOAT tho.

Can we get back on track, this thread is about April's offerings, not our most played Switch games.
Be sure to check out Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, my most played game of the month!

Last edited:

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
My Top 20:

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
3. ARMS
4. Stardew Valley
5. Mario Tennis: Aces
6. LUMINES Remastered
7. Splatoon 2
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9. Super Mario Odyssey
10. Cities: Skylines
11. FIFA 18
12. WarGroove
13. Piczle Lines DX
14. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
15. Puyo Puyo Tetris
16. L.A. Noire
17. Runner3
18. Hollow Knight
19. Steamworld Dig 2
20. Trials Rising

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I really wish the eshop had a count down timer for preloads. I hate the fact that I have Cuphead and Katana Zero preloaded and don't have the slightest clue when they will be live. Yeah I know it's most likely they will unlock at 12pm est on Thrusday, but we have some games unlocking at midnight and such. Just really bugs me.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
since you don't log into an account until you boot a game, how else would the playtime calculation work. :)

Adding the ability to sort by time and user could help.
A bit like the sort options work on the eshop where you can combine/filter.

Be sure to check out Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, my most played game of the month!

Oh yeah. Didn't expect for this game to be so cool. I think i played already some 10h in 2 days since i started the game. xD

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
D4SfSOlUUAEHHRu.jpg:large

Wish it was easier to see exact playtimes of games, but Zelda is 125+ hours, XB2 120+ hours, Octopath 75 hours, WoFF 74 hours. Been playing Tangledeep awhile, at 45+ hours.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

1. Smash - no surprise there. It was my most anticipated Switch game for so long and it coming out around the Holidays made sure I had plenty of time to binge.

2. Fortnite - I didn't realize how hard I went in this when it first came to Switch. When it launched, I enjoyed the beginner player pool and learned how to play entirely on Switch and, while I still jump in from time to time, cross progress has encouraged me to play mostly on PS4 now.

3. Zelda - one of the goats. Switch launch + dlc stuff got it the spot. Feeling the itch to go back recently, so I might end up putting even more time in.

4. Splatoon 2 - I wish I still played this! My friends all dropped off and it was hard for me to get back in after being away for a bit. But, honestly, the biggest thing holding me back are the long load times, particularly that conversation with the hosts when you enter. It's just a bummer. Looks like a lot of cool content has been added that might entice me into giving it another shot.

5. Arms - this game is so underrated it hurts. I swear most people want fighting games with similar systems to what they know than something new and creative. The depth was there, but since it's different than most games before it, the depth was hard to identify and most games look the same to people watching. Still love it though and it's still fun with friends. Really hoping this gets a sequel someday.

6. Diablo 3 - "Perfect for Switch." Much more convenient to play solo than on consoles and an unimpared experience with friends online. I love this game and it's got me pumped for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

7. Pokemon Let's Go Eevee - the definitive gen 1 game for me. It might be hard for me to go back to wild Pokemon in the tall grass, but the added depth of Sword and Shield will probably make it pretty high on this list in the future.

8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - played a ton when it first came out and it'll probably never leave my system. Always good to play with friends on a TV or handheld.

9. Enter the Gungeon - I will have a successful run one day. I will god dammit.

10. Mario Odyssey - not as high as the other games in the list, but the quality here is so high. This is a game I could see myself going back to one day. It's been long enough I could probably just play it again.

This was fun! Makes me feel like I gotta put more time into Monster Hunter!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Xposting because the WOLFENSTEIN 2 SWITCH |OT| is deader than Death.

Got this with the latest 30%off sale on the eShop.

Is there a way to fucking stop the camera from moving itself (feels a bit like autocentering at times) when motion aiming is on? This is making me despise the controls ffs, I hate autocentering cameras in games. Can't seem to fix this even turning off aim assist

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017

Is there a way to fucking stop the camera from moving itself (feels a bit like autocentering at times) when motion aiming is on? This is making me despise the controls ffs, I hate autocentering cameras in games. Can't seem to fix this even turning off aim assist
Not sure if I understand what you mean because as far as I remember, the ONLY way to control the camera was through either the right stick or the motions aiming, I don't think it had any auto-centering camera. I did play and beat it on launch so I might have forgotten or it received an update.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

Maybe your analog sticks are drifting?

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...

...Dark Souls Remastered...

It's such a clunky experience. It feels almost amateur, and I'm talking about the camera, menu overlays, action buttons.
It lacks so much polish. I've just got to Blighttown and the camera is getting lost amongst all the ladders and I'm falling off perches due to the camera getting confused. And menu overlays come on top of the action while you're fighting or trying to escape.

Also your character doesn't react to the environment...unlike Link in BOTW. He just takes the regular same steps at the same speed regardless of how narrow or dangerous the surface you're walking on is. So it's so easy to fall off things.

I can't say I'm really enjoying it so far. Lucky I got it on sale price.

Its super janky, this is hardly new actually. Sekiro is by far the most polished From Software game. If you can look past the jankines it will eventually click, so please insist.

I went back to DS yesterday after hiting a brick wall in Sekiro and it was rough. After a while I got used though.
60 Fps really make a difference.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It's a combination of the two. As the game goes on, you unlock more and more gambit slots and behaviors, allowing you to more fully set-up AI tactics. You'll almost always have reason to take manual control, though, as things happen that the AI can't (yet) account for.

That said, gambits are entirely optional, and the extent you use them is up to you. Like I said in the other post, the gameplay is comparable to Dragon Age: Origins, if you've played it.
I have not played Dragon Age Origins but that sounds interesting, thank you!

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Thoroughly shitty day at work redeemed by the copy of thread darling Joe Dever's Lone Wolf that I'd forgotten having ordered arriving. Saving it for the long weekend but YAASSS.

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, let's play. As this is the eShop thread, I'm going to limit my list to digital exclusives (not counting speciality limited editions), simply because the results are so much more illuminating:

1. Stardew Valley
2. Wargroove
3. Baba Is You
4. Hollow Knight
5. Into the Breach
6. Shovel Knight
7. 7 Billion Humans
8. Celeste
9. Thimbleweed Park
10. The Flame in the Flood

Stardew and Shovel Knight are double-dips, and Stardew has a commanding lead, more than doubling the playtime of the next contender. Everything else falls roughly into the 20-to-40-hour range. Also, it's rather fitting to see 7 Billion Humans come in at #7. In my overall unfiltered top 10, only the top 3 here are represented (Stardew at #6, Wargroove at #8, Baba Is You at #9). I expected Baba Is You to be way up there, and it's still ascending as I'm not quite at 100%, but I was surprised to see Wargroove finish so high.

5. Arms - this game is so underrated it hurts. I swear most people want fighting games with similar systems to what they know than something new and creative. The depth was there, but since it's different than most games before it, the depth was hard to identify and most games look the same to people watching. Still love it though and it's still fun with friends. Really hoping this gets a sequel someday.

I can't echo this enough. In terms of online multiplayer, Arms is my most-played fighting game of all time—it isn't even close—and it wasn't really until SSBU came out that I stopped finding the time to dip back into Arms for every Party Crash event. SSBU has outstripped it in total, but nearly all of my time with it has been in single-player and I've hardly bothered with the online mode at all.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Sure, let's play. As this is the eShop thread, I'm going to limit my list to digital exclusives (not counting speciality limited editions), simply because the results are so much more illuminating:

I like this idea, it is kind of illuminating, especially to compare.

My overall list:

1) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3) Splatoon 2
4) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
5) Fortnite
6) Warframe
7) Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
8) Rocket League
9) Stardew Valley
10) The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+

In terms of eShop/digital exclusives (I'm also going to exclude free-to-play/games-as-service stuff, as that's kind of a mushy area), it's:

1) Stardew Valley
2) The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+
3) Lumines Remastered
4) Hollow Knight
5) SEGA Ages: Phantasy Star
6) Thumper
7) Earth Wars
8) Yodanji
9) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
10) Celeste

God dang I love that list. I love the eShop.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Super Dragon Ball Heroes had an English language demo.

€60 is a hell of a leap of faith for a game like that, and my very limited Japanese is hardly going to help with a game of that complexity.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Super Dragon Ball Heroes had an English language demo.

€60 is a hell of a leap of faith for a game like that, and my very limited Japanese is hardly going to help with a game of that complexity.

Watching the GB quick look it all seemed to flow/work well and was very interesting to watch. A demo would be better but overall I was impressed with the quality of the game

Oct 29, 2017
Skipped so many posts with lists in. All that list rubbish should be a separate thread, I agree with the poster above.

Anyway, My Time At Portia seems nice for the first 30 mins or so. Some framerate hitches in handheld, there's times where it freezes for a second or two while it loads a menu, but it's not too bad and I think the good will far outweigh the negatives.