• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I have serious buyers remorse with Dragon Marked for death. Sprawling, boring maps and grindy to boot. Got suckered on this one.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Did anyone get Slime Tactics? I'm trying to figure out if it's a worthy successor to Ambition of the Slimes but I'm beginning to think no one actually bought it.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The list of releases this week is so ridiculous that even the DLC tab has multiple cool stuff (Smash, Pic-a-Pix, Overcooked...). My bank account is crying.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Not feeling Katana Zero at the moment. While it's stunning to look at (burning your contract before levels is especially well done), the game play seems a little simplistic early on and the ratio of playing levels versus storytelling and dialogue seems far too skewed towards the latter, especially considering those elements aren't grabbing me. It's definitely not what I was expecting.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

SEGA AGES Virtua Racing comes out next Thursday in Japan!

(And the gulf between regional releases continues...)

Man I have serious buyers remorse with Dragon Marked for death. Sprawling, boring maps and grindy to boot. Got suckered on this one.

I've been gradually jumping in and out of it since January (playing solo offline as the Empress) and I'm just now finishing up the last of the quests, but it's been a bumpy journey so far and I'm sure it'll personally rank as one of Inti Creates' lesser efforts by the time I'm done with it. Game has many problems that should've been ironed out over the many years it's been back-burnered. The soundtrack and HD Rumble are two of its few saving graces.

I'm just trying to power through to the end so that I can promptly move on to Inti's Blaster Master Zero 2, which will hopefully redeem them after the disappointment of DMfD...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017

Shheeessh, april is just full of surprise eshop releases.

I might wait on a sale for this one, though. I'm more interested in it in a "I wanna see this game that left an inpact" sorta way. I feel like it might not fully click with me since I have no nostalgia, but as someone who is interested with gaming history, I feel like it's something I should at least try out.

Plus I want to support Sega Ages releases for games that don't get re-released as often.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Man, waiting for Dawn of Survivors to be available. It says it is on the 19/04, but still nothing.

Dont get the launch times on this thing.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Any impressions on giga wrecker
Interested in the art, but it doesn't look too hot from gameplay trailers

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I've been gradually jumping in and out of it since January (playing solo offline as the Empress) and I'm just now finishing up the last of the quests, but it's been a bumpy journey so far and I'm sure it'll personally rank as one of Inti Creates' lesser efforts by the time I'm done with it. Game has many problems that should've been ironed out over the many years it's been back-burnered. The soundtrack and HD Rumble are two of its few saving graces.

I'm just trying to power through to the end so that I can promptly move on to Inti's Blaster Master Zero 2, which will hopefully redeem them after the disappointment of DMfD...

So it's possible to play solo as the Empress? I haven't played Empress all that much, but it seems like kind of a chore to play as Shinobi and Shinobi has to be a lot easier to manage solo.

Devil Engine is on sale. That one's awesome, right? I get a little confused with all the various shmups.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
So I downloaded the Labyrinth of Refrain demo and it's... a lot of fun. Etrian Odyssey with more depth basically. Anyone want to speak to why the game isn't rewarding? Note: I'll skip the story if the systems are good enough to carry me through. RPG stories are generally a huge disappointment to me, so I don't feel the need for them to help support anything. My favorite games lately have been shooters, roguelites, and platformers. If there is an RPG equivalent in this game (great gameplay, story not even necessary), then I'm game.

nautone

Oct 16, 2018
Austin, TX
So I downloaded the Labyrinth of Refrain demo and it's... a lot of fun. Etrian Odyssey with more depth basically. Anyone want to speak to why the game isn't rewarding? Note: I'll skip the story if the systems are good enough to carry me through. RPG stories are generally a huge disappointment to me, so I don't feel the need for them to help support anything. My favorite games lately have been shooters, roguelites, and platformers. If there is an RPG equivalent in this game (great gameplay, story not even necessary), then I'm game.

I enjoyed Refrain enough to complete the basic story, but I would agree that the cutscenes are very very skippable, as they drag on forever and are just generally annoying. The gameplay is fine enough to suit as a replacement for Etrian withdrawal, but it does feel to me very much of the Nippon Ichi/Disgaea school of gameplay where you grind and grind and grind for the random hope of getting the right skill or stat bump or equipment. Etrian seemed a bit more deliberate in the strategy of building out your team for certain skills and roles, where planning out these great synergies really highlighted the dungeon crawl, but I suppose you could do similar in Refrain if you don't mind really grinding for it.

All that said, if you want a dungeon crawler, Refrain is fine enough. Just jam on that SKIP SCENE button and you should be fine.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
nautone Does a good job explaining, and I will add that I didn't feel like the game respected my time. Typical for a NISA game.

I mean I put in over 40 hours and stuff was still unlocking and getting discovered, and I did feel at a point where the combat wasn't engaging anymore. I think what it does is pushes that feeling as far as it can before introducing/adding a small change, either an upgrade path or new equipment, and then starting all over. It is ultra-grindy as well.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Finally have the extra cash to send in my switch for repair after Cuphead and Katana Zero come out - sigh.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I enjoyed Refrain enough to complete the basic story, but I would agree that the cutscenes are very very skippable, as they drag on forever and are just generally annoying. The gameplay is fine enough to suit as a replacement for Etrian withdrawal, but it does feel to me very much of the Nippon Ichi/Disgaea school of gameplay where you grind and grind and grind for the random hope of getting the right skill or stat bump or equipment. Etrian seemed a bit more deliberate in the strategy of building out your team for certain skills and roles, where planning out these great synergies really highlighted the dungeon crawl, but I suppose you could do similar in Refrain if you don't mind really grinding for it.

All that said, if you want a dungeon crawler, Refrain is fine enough. Just jam on that SKIP SCENE button and you should be fine.
nautone Does a good job explaining, and I will add that I didn't feel like the game respected my time. Typical for a NISA game.

I mean I put in over 40 hours and stuff was still unlocking and getting discovered, and I did feel at a point where the combat wasn't engaging anymore. I think what it does is pushes that feeling as far as it can before introducing/adding a small change, either an upgrade path or new equipment, and then starting all over. It is ultra-grindy as well.

thanks for the clarification, both of you! it sounds like i will ultimately back off, at least until I see a sale. I had fun grinding through parts of Disgaea 5, but ultimately smashed that cheat shop up in order to get to the end. i love maze exploration and i don't mind long roads toward updates/team building, but lately I've been put off by enough RPGs to be cautious about my purchases. a lot of games people love have been left in the dust for more arcade experiences.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I'm happy Katana Zero is only four hours long. Ape Out is my GotY so far and I finished it in two. I applaud developers who know when to leave on a high note. Many games benefit from a long run time, but many more would benefit from a short one.

I feel just the same. The best game I've placed in recent years were short but very sweet... ( Inside, What Remains of Edith Finch, Night in the Woods, Celeste etc. )

I find it pretty hard to get into long games nowadays because I probably will never finish those games.

Week April 18th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

- Games
  • Cuphead - Studio MDHR - $19.99/€19.99 - 3.3 GB
  • Katana ZERO - Askiisoft/Devolver Digital - $14.99/€14.99 - 244 MB
  • Path to Mnemosyne - Hidden Trap - $9.99/€9.99 - 871 MB
  • My Time At Portia - Team17 - $29.99/€29.99 - 2.6 GB
  • Tanks Meet Zombies - TitanForgedGames - $9.99/€9.99 - 576 MB
    cupheadpnkwm.jpg
    katanazero03j22.jpg
    pathtomnemosynejrjru.jpg
    mytimeatportianhkuo.jpg
    tanksmeetzombiesq3jch.jpg
  • Truberbrook - Headup Games - $29.99/€29.99 (Launch sale: $26.99/€26.99) - 6.1 GB
  • Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions - Playfusion - Free-to-Play - 97 MB
  • Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection - Konami - $19.99/€19.99 - 289 MB
  • Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster - Square Enix - $49.99/€49.99 - 14.0 GB
  • Our World Is Ended - Pqube - $59.99/€49.99 - 2.8 GB
    trberbrook52jw2.jpg
    warhammerageofsigmarcvwk9z.jpg
    arcadeclassicsanniveryujc6.jpg
    finalfantasyxx-292jng.jpg
    ourworldisended.hpkn3.jpg
  • Hell is Other Demons - Kongregate - $9.99/€9.99 - 409 MB
  • You Died but a Necromancer Revived You - JaimeAlvarezLosada - $8.99/€8.99 (Launch sale: $7.64/€7.64) - 243 MB
  • Alpha - Kaname - $5.00 - 264 MB
  • The Padre - Feardemic - $19.99/€19.99 - 2.9 GB
  • GoatPunks - Mellifont Santiago - $9.99/€8.90 - 574 MB *04/27 on NA*
    hellisotherdemonsgtj3p.jpg
    youdiedbutanecromance8zk02.jpg
    alphaxljfb.jpg
    thepadrep7j7y.jpg
    goatpunks2tjk7.jpg
  • Samurai Shodown V Special - NeoGeo - SNK/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • Dawn of Survivors - Wistone Ent. - $1.99/€1.79 - 379 MB
  • Cafeteria Nipponica - Kairosoft - $12.00/€10.00 - 229 MB
  • The Knight & The Dragon - Naps Team - $7.99/€9.99 - 176 MB
  • DayD: Through Time - 8Floor Games - $9.99/€8.79 - 716 MB
    acaneogeosamuraishodomdkqn.jpg
    dawnofsurvivors1uk6z.jpg
    cafeterianipponica8ekhn.jpg
    theknightthedragonvcjq4.jpg
    daydthroughtimei4kh7.jpg
  • SlabWell: The Quest For Kaktun's Alpaca - $9.99/€9.99 - 1.0 GB
  • Iron Snout - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 49 MB
  • Everybody, Hearts! - Cellnavi - $6.00/€5.00 - 272 MB
  • Secrets of Magic: The Book of Spells - Joindots - $9.99/€9.99 - 180 MB
  • Croc's World 2 - Sprakelsoft - $5.99/€4.99 - 385 MB
    slabwellvoj98.jpg
    ironsnoutrmk1t.jpg
    everybodyhearts1pj9w.jpg
    secretsofmagic1-theboh6k0t.jpg
    crocsworld25aknr.jpg
  • Witch Thief - Cardboard Keep - €12.99 - 1.5 GB
  • Moto Rush GT - Baltoro Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 2.3 GB
  • Risky Rescue - Forever Entertainment - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: €4.49) - 224 MB
  • Active Soccer 2019 - Gianluca Troiano - $11.99/€9.99 - 544 MB
  • Construction Machines Simulator - SimFabric - $29.49/€27.99 (Launch sale: $26.54/€25.19) - 138 MB
    witchthiefxck9z.jpg
    motorushgt41kwt.jpg
    riskyrescue6zknj.jpg
    activesoccer201902j87.jpg
    constructionmachinesssgkoo.jpg
  • Sudoku Relax - G-mode - $5.00/€5.09 (Launch sale: $3.50/€3.56) - 57 MB
    sudokurelaxzrkc4.jpg

- DLCs
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - Grasshopper Manufacture
    Bubblegum Fatale - $5.99 - *Included in the Season Pass*
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Nintendo
    Challenger Pack 1: Joker - $5.99/€5.99 - *Included in the Season Pass*
  • Overcooked! 2 - Team 17
    Season Pass - $19.99/€18.99
    Campfire Cook Off - $5.99/€4.99 - *Included in the Season Pass*
  • Tesla vs Lovecraft - 10tons
    For Science! - $4.99/€4.99
  • Trials Rising - Ubisoft
    Sixty-Six - $7.99/€7.99 - *Included in the Season Pass*

- Demos

• BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! - HAL Laboratory/Nintendo
  • Gabbuchi - h.a.n.d
  • X-Morph: Defense - EXOR Studios
  • Ayakashi Koi Gikyoku - DIGIMERCE
  • Croc's World 2 - Sprakelsoft

- Japan

• Scrap Rush!! - Acquire - ¥1,680
  • Langrisser I & II - extreme - ¥7,344
  • Taishou x Alice: All in One - Protoype - ¥6,000
  • Hakuisei Renai Shoukougun RE:Therapy - Kogado Studio - 4,800 (Launch sale: ¥3,840)
    scraprush08j10.jpg
    langrisseriiilvj12.jpg
    taishouxaliceallinone2vkxd.jpg
    hakuiseirenaishoukougiakrx.jpg

-Late Releases
  • Moai VI: Unexpected Guests - Joindots - $18.99 - 940 MB *NA*

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this Cuphead replay has been so satisfying. Almost done with it after only a handful of hours; I did expect to have a great time but this is almost as exciting as the first playthrough.
So it's possible to play solo as the Empress? I haven't played Empress all that much, but it seems like kind of a chore to play as Shinobi and Shinobi has to be a lot easier to manage solo.

Devil Engine is on sale. That one's awesome, right? I get a little confused with all the various shmups.
Yeah Devil Engine is legit. There were a handful of impressions in past threads if you're interested, but it's definitely one of the better shooters available on the system.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah Devil Engine is legit. There were a handful of impressions in past threads if you're interested, but it's definitely one of the better shooters available on the system.
I'm always confused by this and Rival Megagun (which seems like it's fine, but Devil Engine had a ton of praise, just wanted to make sure it was the right shmup-with-the-red-ship)

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the clarification, both of you! it sounds like i will ultimately back off, at least until I see a sale. I had fun grinding through parts of Disgaea 5, but ultimately smashed that cheat shop up in order to get to the end. i love maze exploration and i don't mind long roads toward updates/team building, but lately I've been put off by enough RPGs to be cautious about my purchases. a lot of games people love have been left in the dust for more arcade experiences.
Have you looked at Vaporum?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Earlier than expected, but just goes to show how far ahead into these releases Japan is. Will not be able to wait.

Features wise there isn't a lot there for me in a straight Arcade port of VR but this is a beggars/choosers situation.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Shheeessh, april is just full of surprise eshop releases.

I might wait on a sale for this one, though. I'm more interested in it in a "I wanna see this game that left an inpact" sorta way. I feel like it might not fully click with me since I have no nostalgia, but as someone who is interested with gaming history, I feel like it's something I should at least try out.

Plus I want to support Sega Ages releases for games that don't get re-released as often.
Earlier than expected, but just goes to show how far ahead into these releases Japan is. Will not be able to wait.

Features wise there isn't a lot there for me in a straight Arcade port of VR but this is a beggars/choosers situation.

Virtua Racing might be the most important SEGA AGES game to support with your wallet thus far if only because it's a 3D arcade rerelease, and they'll most likely be looking at sales of this to infer demand of other '90s arcade conversions and possibly Saturn/Dreamcast stuff. It also helps to get in early while the online population is healthy too. As soon as it launches in the West, I'll be sure to get a ton of races in against others while it's easy, since I imagine that's where most of the replayability will be if you don't have anyone to play with locally.

Yep, it's possible with minimal grinding, but obviously not ideal seeing as how DMfD was crafted primarily as a co-op experience. I checked for parties in the lobby a few times early on but was never able to join anyone, so I just gave up and decided to rough it on my own. I'm sure the game is much more enjoyable when you're progressing with other players as a team, but I'll probably never know what that's like since I'll be dropping this as soon as I'm done with all the quests and will be unlikely to ever return to it. Or maybe in a few years I'll give it another go with a different character, but by then the online playerbase will be nonexistent.

For the Empress, I've been primarily using the Sumeragi Glaive (free if you pre-purchased), dumping most of my level-up stat points into the strength attribute, and equipping nothing but healing and anti-poison items. Then you just need to memorize enemy behavior and spam the crap out of the dragon arm to send flying enemies to the ground where you can wail on them with your sword, which I admit can be pretty damn satisfying when the questionable level design doesn't get in the way. lol

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Some of y'all were talking about Tangledeep the other day.

It just got updated with some QoL enhancements!

https://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/tangledeep-switch-software-updates/

Bug fixes
  • Fixes for certain gameplay crashes related to adding corrupt status data, bad monster states
  • Monster relationships should no longer ever be reset
  • Phoenix Wing should work much more consistently now
  • ZL should now work properly to page-up various list UIs
  • Brigand's 'mastery' bomb ability should now work correctly
  • Fixes for numerous other bugs affecting software stability
Quality of Life
  • New tutorials related to wardrobe, monster letters, attraction, powerups
  • The Y button is now used to 'Compare Alternate' when looking at accessories, instead of ZL (which was double mapped in menus)
  • When feeding monsters in the corral, your cursor will return to the last-fed item
  • Also in the feeding UI, known loved and hated foods will be marked!
  • "Mark as Trash" is a new option in your inventory, which will mark items for sale at vendors when you select "Sell All"

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, in my opinion I think you may be doing a mistake. I really enjoyed the demo as well, and continued to enjoy the game for many many hours afterwards. It really gave me my Etrian fix and then some. Even though I didn't manage to beat the end boss (well the end of story boss, there's still lots of content afterwards apparently),I felt very satisfied with the entire experience. And I am saying this as someone who lost patience with Disgaea 5 very quickly.

As to Vaporum, that remains to be seen. I bought it, but I need to finish Bertram Fiddle 2 first, and then need to decide if to play next Vaporum, Shadowgate or Hellblade...

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch has 3,200+ games? Holy cheesus! I searched the US Switch eShop w/o entering any text by mistake, which I think just displays all items.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried Rogue Bit? Looks like an extremely niche thing, but I've been curious about it since it launched and now it's on sale for only 2.99.

Oh and I'm glad they changed the Ringo icon. I didn't particularly dislike the original but not making use of that sweet artwork felt like a waste.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
The Switch has 3,200+ games? Holy cheesus! I searched the US Switch eShop w/o entering any text by mistake, which I think just displays all items.

I think that includes DLC. The EU webshop shows me 1999 (DE) or 2001 (UK) games, my eShop shows me 2041 (includes software such as YouTube).

That's still ~2.6 games per day, ~18 games per week or ~80 per month, which is insane.

Last edited:

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Dawn of Survivors since it's so cheap and it looks intruiging enough. Also, He'll is Other Demons.

Any impressions of these 2?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Cuphead is awesome
And might just grab Ringo for that new icon

Anyone recommend planetarian? I want some new vns