• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon's Dogma is really teasing me. I've already spent quite a lot of time with the game on PS3, PS4, and PC. I don't know if I can go back to 30FPS, but playing it on a handheld sounds really nice.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon's Dogma is really teasing me. I've already spent quite a lot of time with the game on PS3, PS4, and PC. I don't know if I can go back to 30FPS, but playing it on a handheld sounds really nice.
I took the dip despite having the PC version already.

I feel having it in portable would make for a more engaging adventure.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I recommend the Strider. Ranged attacks are very useful in this game.
I wish Dragons Dogma was out already, the long weekend would've been perfect for it. I'll be back at work when it releases :(

Start with either Strider or Fighter, don't choose Mage (yet). I'd suggest Strider myself, because the archery is really fun!
Anyway, you will be locked into the class until you make it to the city, and then you can change class as many times as you want, no penalty. It's worth trying them all out, even in the same playthrough.

The reason I'm advising against going Mage is that it's not very fun at low low level. Try it out when you have the pawns to support you.
It'll make sense when you're in the game.
I'll recommend Strider too. It's a dual blade wielding class that focuses on fast movement and quick melee attacks as well as archery (this game's archery is incredible, btw). It's just very fun and badass.

But just so you know, you shouldn't worry about missing out on potentially more fun classes, as you can freely switch between them and basically try all of them; it's actually encouraged too.

Appreciate the tips, ya'll are the homies! I'm definitely gonna go Strider now. I normally play the magic class, but I've been itching for some arrow shooting. Good to know I'll be able to switch around later without penalty though, you rarely get to do that.

Will the pawn system reveal itself to me as I play? I've been reading up on it and it seems a little confusing. With big games like this I always worry about being onboarded with too many systems at the beginning and getting overwhelmed

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
It was on twitter, actually two days after the AMA. No control customization, but other things:

https://twitter.com/BertilHorberg/status/1115778546582994946

"working on a patch to fix some of the issues people had with the controls etc. Some of the things I'm pretty embarrassed about actually. It's so easy to get used to the quirks of your own game, and not realize how some relatively small fixes could improve it"

https://twitter.com/BertilHorberg/status/1115780883708039168

"For example I honestly don't have a good reason for why you can't do a full height jump from the crouch position, which makes some parts needlessly tricky. I just implemented it like that from the start and got used to it "

Re: Mechstermination Force

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

I thought the controls were mostly excellent save for some irritating bits with the magnet gloves and issues with moving platforms. The real kicker for me was no dual-stick aiming for the final boss. I managed to no-damage-clear all missions except that last one and I'm not sure I'll ever achieve it. Being able to aim and shoot with the right stick would at least give me a sliver of hope. lol

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I've finished Senua's Sacrifice, and it had me in tears for the second time. If you were late to this game like me and you prefer to play it on Switch for whatever reason, please don't hesitate.

And now I will spend the rest of the month attempting to not buy Dragon's Dogma.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Cat Quest is fantastic according to the PC fam btw, peeps were swooning over it hard last year.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Anyone? I'm trying to avoid googling or looking at reviews to avoid spoilers.
It is a full VN. Don't know if it is good or not, but I definitely do not recommend it for the following reason:
Well that is unfortunate. Was gonna wait for reviews but now it's just a pass
also: it comes with a bunch of homobhobic bullshit
https://www.resetera.com/threads/my...s-to-be-the-butt-of-the-joke-in-japan.111683/

icehockeyjoe

Apr 21, 2019
has anyone tried sudoku relax? i know its just sudoku so what could go wrong but I'd like to at least know that it's not a bug filled mess. It would be nice to have an alternative to picross and baba for my puzzle needs.

Would highly recommend Sudoku Relax. 300 puzzles across easy, normal and hard. Easy ones can be solved easily but hard take some working through. Works really well in handheld using the touch screen with a good system of filling in both full numbers and small numbers in boxes as notes. Well worth the money. Put in a few hours and no bugs yet.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Would highly recommend Sudoku Relax. 300 puzzles across easy, normal and hard. Easy ones can be solved easily but hard take some working through. Works really well in handheld using the touch screen with a good system of filling in both full numbers and small numbers in boxes as notes. Well worth the money. Put in a few hours and no bugs yet.
What's the largest size screen? 9x9 or larger?

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I'm surprised this was approved during the localization process. I do game localization on a daily basis and I warn the client (a translation agency that works with many different publishers) whenever I find anything slightly controversial. They go to the publisher and say "hey, this might be a problem" and the publisher changes the text or asks us to adapt it 99% of the time.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm surprised this was approved during the localization process. I do game localization on a daily basis and I warn the client (a translation agency that works with many different publishers) whenever I find anything slightly controversial. They go to the publisher and say "hey, this might be a problem" and the publisher changes the text or asks us to adapt it 99% of the time.
Well, it's PQube. They really don't care.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Honestly, I prefer localization not to be used as a cover for toxic developers. I'd rather expose their bullshit and push to boycott their games as much as possible.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Honestly, I prefer localization not to be used as a cover for toxic developers. I'd rather expose their bullshit and push to boycott their games as much as possible.
That doesn't really get you anywhere. Boycotts never work and instead of fixing what came from what I would call "clueless" origins where that issue would need to be addressed on a way larger scale before it can trickle down to entertainment, leaving the toxic garbage as-is to "expose" that does nobody any favors.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why does Daedalic keep pricing games at $40? I love their games but it's crazy that Deponia is $40 (meanwhile the 3rd & 4th games in the Deponia series released on PS4 within the past few months for $20 a pop)

suracity

Nov 6, 2017
I finished Katana Zero during weekend and it's really good. I came for the game play but the plot is just something else, it's really something special. I need DLC/sequel like yesterday. It's a little on the expensive side in terms of length but IMO it's worth every penny.

Do you guys have any recommendation on games with good story on the eShop? I am in a mood for some story before bed.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I finished Katana Zero during weekend and it's really good. I came for the game play but the plot is just something else, it's really something special. I need DLC/sequel like yesterday. It's a little on the expensive side in terms of length but IMO it's worth every penny.

Do you guys have any recommendation on games with good story on the eShop? I am in a mood for some story before bed.
Firewatch.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm sure others have already said it, but Cuphead is amazing. Tough game but not really "cheap" hard if that makes sense. I always come away from the battles kicking myself for screwing up or making a dumb mistake.

On inkwell 2 so far having played it for about a day or so. Really really good game.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
That doesn't really get you anywhere. Boycotts never work and instead of fixing what came from what I would call "clueless" origins where that issue would need to be addressed on a way larger scale before it can trickle down to entertainment, leaving the toxic garbage as-is to "expose" that does nobody any favors.
I see your point but don't agree since i
Well, thanks to this game not being "reinterpreted" for "non clueless" audiences I had the chance to learn what this game is like and made avoiding out possible. Had this game been altered I might have bought it to later regret it.
I think raising awareness, exposing these issues and doing something about it as consumers is the way to go but maybe that's just me.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I see your point but don't agree since i
Well, thanks to this game not being "reinterpreted" for "non clueless" audiences I had the chance to learn what this game is like and made avoiding out possible. Had this game been altered I might have bought it to later regret it.
I think raising awareness, exposing these issues and doing something about it as consumers is the way to go but maybe that's just me.
Had it been properly localized (= the problematic BS adapted to our cultural standards) then there would be no issue encounter and later regret.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Performance on Switch is solid? I'm interested in this one.

'You Died but a Necromancer revived you' runs at a rock solid 60 FPS, and it looks gorgeous on the Switch LCD screen.

It's made in GameMaker, so contrary to Unity, 2D games tend to have superb performances.

The game is amazing, I can totally recommend its purchase.

Like 'Whip! Whip!' or 'Overwhelm', the game is a love letter to the Game Boy / Game Boy Advance era.

It feels like playing a forgotten Game Boy Color exclusive game, but using a Super Game Boy player on a SNES, with the same distinctive and charming as fuck borders.

A really fun and incredibly well made arcadey roguelite.

NSwitchDS_YouDiedbutaNecromancerrevivedyou_01.jpg

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince is one of the most perfect "bedtime" games out there. A beautiful vintage storybook aesthetic, calming music, platforming that's not too mentally taxing, and a story with prominent nocturnal themes that just might make you tear up at the end (I have no shame in admitting I did!).

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished Senua's Sacrifice, and it had me in tears for the second time. If you were late to this game like me and you prefer to play it on Switch for whatever reason, please don't hesitate.

And now I will spend the rest of the month attempting to not buy Dragon's Dogma.
I caved and pre-ordered it anyway. A good port is a good port and playing it in bed is just icing on the cake.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
To whoever recommended Argatha-s thanks, had a bunch of fun with it... just can't beat the final boss and there's two levels I can't seem to unlock

Also still waiting for a crypt of the necrodancer sale :(

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spent like 3 hours working my way through Ringo Ishikawa, repeating the same routine for two in-game weeks without getting bored because it just works. The game really has something hard to explain that nails a certain atmosphere and mood perfectly.
With Ace Attorney Trilogy you get three, two of which are among the finest story-focused games ever, IMO (1 and 3).

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds of Night in the Woods going on sale again soon? I want to play it, but not for $20.
I feel like I've seen it go on sale a few times on PSN for like $13 or $15. I'm sure it'll be discounted again eventually. I'm with you, it seems like a decent title, but I've been waiting for it to go down to $10.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've seen it go on sale a few times on PSN for like $13 or $15. I'm sure it'll be discounted again eventually. I'm with you, it seems like a decent title, but I've been waiting for it to go down to $10.

You might be waiting a long time considering that's even lower than the lowest sale price it's had on PC since release (2017).

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
How long is the game?
5 hours or so.

I liked the game but it's super linear and with zero replayability so in the end your enjoyment will be fully dependant on whether you like the characters, story and dialogues.

It has a cute art style and it has some cool moments but I could see many people getting bored by it. Gameplay wise there's not much other than moving from point a to b to talk to some people and move the story one step forward.
There are some interlude platforming stages but these are quite pointless since the jumping mechanic is as basic as it gets so they felt a bit annoying to me by the end of the game.
I don't know, this game seems to me like a clear example of style over substance that you almost want to bring myself to love but in the end I think it's just an ok game that I find a hard time recommending unless you can get it for 10 bucks or so.
Sucks to say but it's just that when there are games that give you so so much for 20 bucks like Celeste, cuphead, hollow Knight, shovel Knight.... just feels wrong to pay 20 bucks for this.

And a similar case to this game was for me Donut County although that game had even less going for it in terms of characters or dialogs.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
With Ace Attorney Trilogy you get three, two of which are among the finest story-focused games ever, IMO (1 and 3).
I second this. In fact, I'm currently playing through the sixth mainline game in bed on my 3DS. If they bring the second trilogy to Switch, I'll be there on day one again.

And the Ace Attorney Investigations games (the second of which is not available outside of Japan).

And the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games (still not available outside of Japan).

I love these games, and the localisation is the best in the business. Other than the weird fact that they set them all in the US for some reason.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Great thank you

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
went back to Grimrock today to remind myself of what Vaporum might entail. i know they're purportedly different, but in terms of control I really feel like a game like this one belongs on PC. plus Vaporum is $10 on Steam right now. might be something I play on my laptop seeing as the text in the handheld version if pretty darn small.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I fear Steamworld Quest will be short and it will bum me out. I mean, the Steamworld games arent exactly super long, but I feel a card game needs room to breathe so like a 8 hour game for a card game would be too short :(

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through Battle Chef Brigade right now, and damn, Chapter 5 is a gameplay shift that really should've been its own campaign

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
With FF XII on the horizon, a quick question for job lovers out there:

Which do you think is better?

Zodiac Age Switch era job system with license boards and the ability to reset your character

Or

Bravely Default's job system?

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Cuphead 2-player local co-op? Trying to see what games I'd enjoy playing with my boyfriend.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
With FF XII on the horizon, a quick question for job lovers out there:

Which do you think is better?

Zodiac Age Switch era job system with license boards and the ability to reset your character

Or

Bravely Default's job system?

They're very different, but I definitely prefer the creative freedom offered by the mix-and-match style of Octopath/FFV/FFT/Tangledeep/etc. (Bravely I actually remember least, so I prefer to use those other examples as benchmarks.)

FFXII's system is enjoyable enough. I much prefer it to the original license board system with no jobs, where everyone became same-y jacks-of-all-trades.

But it's not quite as constantly exciting or creatively empowering as the other system. Its progression feels more confined, despite the open-looking license board structure, and padded with equipment selections.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The Top 6 games on the US eShop right now are all good third party/indie games, what an odd time to be alive.

Cuphead, Katana Zero, Phoenix Wright, Enter the Gungeon, Final Fantasy VIII, and Diablo III.