• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
In case anybody other than me was curious, I've only been able to find one review of Lost King's Lullaby so far, from a site I've never heard of called Gamerheads Podcast Network. I was interested in it due to the art direction and eShop description, but it's sounding like a bust: constant glitches, poor translation, rote battle system, performance problems that outright gut the gameplay, and so on.

In this day and age, we are spoiled with an endless supply of excellent video games, but curation is a necessity. Without it, we're left with games like Lost King's Lullaby needlessly stealing the oxygen from criminally underplayed gems like last year's excellent Iconoclasts. This game is a buggy, repetitive, poorly-optimized, and deeply flawed mess that's doubtlessly going to be put out to pasture as soon as it releases. It isn't worth your time, and - if you're especially morbidly curious - it doesn't take long to see so for yourself. Feel free to pony up the $8 for the privilege, but I would not at all recommend doing so.

It's a ridiculous complaint to talk of lack of curation, when it's the opposite: Nintendo Iberica (the brand used by Nintendo for its operations in Spain and Portugal), has actively collaborated with the creators of the game to promote this, as they do with a lot of Spanish games.

Until the point that the game was featured in the newscast of RTVE1, one of the TV channels with more audience in Spain, being exposed to various millions of spectators in prime time. And this was thanks to the efforts of Nintendo Iberica, who has adopted a very pro-active attitude to promote games developed in Spain.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/telediario/td1_videojuego_indie_250419/5164878/

At the end, a game can turn to be better or worse than an initial and promising premise. This game started as a final degree project for a group of students. And in any case, we should applaud the courage of Nintendo for supporting these type of small projects by indie developers, specially when we talk of students releasing their first commercial game. By not only allowing the game on the eShop, but by investing money in PR to promote these games.

They also complain that this game is resting visibility to games like 'Iconoclasts'.... why to compare a game with a more experimental nature and a more contemplative mood with an action game following a classic and well established formula?

It's like to say Nintendo, keep these rare, weird and unusual games away from my console, and only let traditional games in well established genres to exist.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any notable releases in May? I have my eyes in Saints Row 3. Switch is in need of a good GTA clone.

Depends on what you see as notable. It's a "quieter" month but there's still a bunch of stuff coming out, nothing extremely high profile however:

Team Sonic Racing
Atelier Lulua
Lapis x Labyrinth
Shakedown Hawaii
Puyo Puyo Champions
Giga Wrecker Alt
Va-11 Hall-A
Redout

Remasters:
Assassin's Creed 3
Saint's Row The Third
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil Zero
Sniper Elite V2

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what you see as notable. It's a "quieter" month but there's still a bunch of stuff coming out, nothing extremely high profile however:

Team Sonic Racing
Atelier Lulua
Lapis x Labyrinth
Shakedown Hawaii
Puyo Puyo Champions
Giga Wrecker Alt
Va-11 Hall-A
Redout

Remasters:
Assassin's Creed 3
Saint's Row The Third
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil Zero
Sniper Elite V2

Thanks! Yeah, forgot about the Resi games, though I don't think I'm willing to eat that Switch tax. Curious to see the Redout port too.

Maybe we will have a few indies announced and released next month too.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If starlink goes half off on Tuesday I'll probably grab it. Although I may just get base digital and the Star Fox expansion

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! Yeah, forgot about the Resi games, though I don't think I'm willing to eat that Switch tax. Curious to see the Redout port too.

Maybe we will have a few indies announced and released next month too.

Hah, yes that's the nature of the eShop. There's nothing I want in May right now (unless Team Sonic Racing is 60fps on Switch) but I know that they can announce something any day and release it a bit later. There's several indie games without dates that I am looking forward to.

Dec 23, 2017
Don't know if this has been mention but there is now a demo available for xmorph defense. For some reason this game flew under the radar for switch. Some even Nintendo dedicated sites didn't do a review for it which I found really strange. Game looks like a decent port and has some great gameplay mechanics.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
So, for anyone unaware of Shadowgate - I have no history with/nostalgia for this game (never played it before), but having played it for several hours, I now wholeheartedly recommend it.

It's a classic adventure game (no fighting, so you could say it's sort of a point and click adventure, but don't let that stop you) with some tough puzzles, where you go deeper and deeper into a castle to defeat an evil warlock. Initially I really struggled with the interface (couldn't understand how to open and read scrolls I got, where items in my inventory that I used to have disappeared, how to get hints if I was really desperate, and more), but I got the hang of it eventually, and am really enjoying it.

Let me warn you though - this game is not easy. I am playing at the absolute easiest setting out of 4 (Normal=novice), and it is not rare that I am stumped for lengthy periods.

After I finish Normal, I will definitely play the next difficulty setting - Journeyman, since each difficulty setting actually changes the gameplay experience and puzzles. Not only the puzzles become more complex (and there are more of them), but you need to watch out that your torch doesn't go out, that you don't waste too much time - and it becomes easier and easier to die...

Pro tip - save often...

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this has been mention but there is now a demo available for xmorph defense. For some reason this game flew under the radar for switch. Some even Nintendo dedicated sites didn't do a review for it which I found really strange. Game looks like a decent port and has some great gameplay mechanics.

I played this game on Steam and really enjoyed it, it's a fun combination of a tower defense game and twin stick shooter. Obviously not sure how the Switch port is but I recommend it based on the PC version.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
So, for anyone unaware of Shadowgate - I have no history with/nostalgia for this game (never played it before), but having played it for several hours, I now wholeheartedly recommend it.

It's a classic adventure game (no fighting, so you could say it's sort of a point and click adventure, but don't let that stop you) with some tough puzzles, where you go deeper and deeper into a castle to defeat an evil warlock. Initially I really struggled with the interface (couldn't understand how to open and read scrolls I got, where items in my inventory that I used to have disappeared, how to get hints if I was really desperate, and more), but I got the hang of it eventually, and am really enjoying it.

Let me warn you though - this game is not easy. I am playing at the absolute easiest setting out of 4 (Normal=novice), and it is not rare that I am stumped for lengthy periods.

After I finish Normal, I will definitely play the next difficulty setting - Journeyman, since each difficulty setting actually changes the gameplay experience and puzzles. Not only the puzzles become more complex (and there are more of them), but you need to watch out that your torch doesn't go out, that you don't waste too much time - and it becomes easier and easier to die...

Pro tip - save often...

I played it for a bit but the interface (using items, finding items, combining items) really put me off. Do you have some advice for that?

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Finally bought DS remastered , at 28 $ it was too tempting plus I had about 3$ in gold points.
It couldn't have come at a better time as I've just finished Bloodborne.
I'll be playing it for the first time ever , any tips would be welcomed ( I platinumed Bloodborne and 100% its DLC )
How is performance for you? I'm seeing so many framerate issues and graphical glitches, I was worried it was a problem with my switch or something.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Finally bought DS remastered , at 28 $ it was too tempting plus I had about 3$ in gold points.
It couldn't have come at a better time as I've just finished Bloodborne.
I'll be playing it for the first time ever , any tips would be welcomed ( I platinumed Bloodborne and 100% its DLC )
Don't play it at all like Bloodborne or you will get wrecked. I honestly tell first timers to go Pyromancer combined with a good 2 hander/1.5 hander like a bastard sword and make your build to fit that.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
In Dark Souls do you need friend codes for summoning/invasions to work or is it like how it works on PlayStation/Xbox?

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Don't play it at all like Bloodborne or you will get wrecked. I honestly tell first timers to go Pyromancer combined with a good 2 hander/1.5 hander like a bastard sword and make your build to fit that.
I was thinking of making quality build for my first play through. I heard it's less aggressive than bloodborne but I have no problem adapting to a slower play style.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Cardiogram-like frame times in the Switch version of DaS was enough for me to give it a hard pass.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Docked and in the Dead Burg area. Lots of flickering seemingly from the lighting and a lot of screen tearing on the upper part of the screen when turning around among other stuff.
I am still at the beginning, just beat the first boss and the crow took me to the next area.
I am playing portable only for now and the performance so far is stable plus the game looks reasonably sharp on the display. Will definitely try it docked and see how the performance pan out.

neroxyr

Nov 14, 2018
How is rogue bit? Just bought the Way Remastered at $0.99 and I'm loving it with a few control issues, the history makes me continue playing it and the soundtrack OMFG, it's amazing

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I played it for a bit but the interface (using items, finding items, combining items) really put me off. Do you have some advice for that?
Did you not know how to do things (which was my actual problem), or was it just not convenient? If the former I can help, it took me a while until it clicked and I understood what I needed to do in each situation. If you know how to do everything and what to use when, and just find it a bit wearisome (combining is a little lengthy, but that's about it, and there's not that much combining) then I am not so sure I can help :-).
Let me know, I can try to concoct a small guide for the interface basics that makes a little more sense that their help guide, though today is too late and tomorrow I'm super busy, so it will have to be the day after. Now that I get along with the interface it's mostly flowing for me.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I didn't notice any of those technical problems with Dark Souls during my playthrough and I'm very picky. The game stayed at the 30FPS almost the whole way through with no screen tearing or anything of the sort, but I played portable only.

Maybe it's a docked only thing? I haven't heard of reports like that, so perhaps restarting the Switch will fix it. Really DS is pretty much flawless outside of the audio compression issue.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Did you not know how to do things (which was my actual problem), or was it just not convenient? If the former I can help, it took me a while until it clicked and I understood what I needed to do in each situation. If you know how to do everything and what to use when, and just find it a bit wearisome (combining is a little lengthy, but that's about it, and there's not that much combining) then I am not so sure I can help :-).
Let me know, I can try to concoct a small guide for the interface basics that makes a little more sense that their help guide, though today is too late and tomorrow I'm super busy, so it will have to be the day after. Now that I get along with the interface it's mostly flowing for me.

It's mostly the former, I think. It also feels cumbersome to do stuff, but I might be missing something. Just read through the help file again, tried some things and I might get used to it. Doesn't help that I went for classic and torches ran out (adding threatening music) while experimenting with the interface and even lighting another torch was something I couldn't easily do.

Just restarted the game on normal.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Hmm I didn't notice any of those technical problems with Dark Souls during my playthrough and I'm very picky. The game stayed at the 30FPS almost the whole way through with no screen tearing or anything of the sort, but I played portable only.

Maybe it's a docked only thing? I haven't heard of reports like that, so perhaps restarting the Switch will fix it. Really DS is pretty much flawless outside of the audio compression issue.
I almost didn't want to mention anything about it because, as you see, it could have been some kind of memory leak or something like that, I still need to try the game again.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
So apparently there's no way to redownload individual Smash DLC without deleting and redownloading the entire game? For some reason the paid Mii Fighter costumes aren't showing up for me in-game but the Joker stuff is. Checked the eShop and there's no redownload button for any of the costumes, so that's a bust.

This is one rare occasion where I wish I went physical. Then again, it's 2019 and Nintendo shouldn't be so inept in implementing DLC functions to begin with. Ridiculous. :/

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Any notable releases in May? I have my eyes in Saints Row 3. Switch is in need of a good GTA clone.
I don't feel like there is. April was a real real good month, I have so much in my wish list. I HOPE there's no surprise releases in May that are bangers, and we have a low key month to recharge for summer.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
May has Sword of Ditto, Shakedown Hawaii, Puyo Puyo Champions, VA-11 Hall-A, Castlevania Collection, Crystal Crisis, Lapis Labyrinth and the Resident Evil games, off the top of my head.

Oct 25, 2017
ShakedownHawaii_KeyArt_1B_4k.png

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Funny how May is looking like a "light" month for many.

We've been so conditioned to this neverending onslaught of great games, just a few years ago a month like this would seem downright miraculous on the Wii U. lol

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I definitely want to run through VA-11 HALL-A again when it's out on the Switch. Though, maybe not right away. Finishing up the Phoenix Wright Trilogy right now, and holy hell do I need something different.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

Yeah I mentioned it and I also wrote a few posts about the game but I don't think anyone ever replied or said they owned the game. It's a pity because it's a good game, looks cool and it's something a bit different.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently there's no way to redownload individual Smash DLC without deleting and redownloading the entire game? For some reason the paid Mii Fighter costumes aren't showing up for me in-game but the Joker stuff is. Checked the eShop and there's no redownload button for any of the costumes, so that's a bust.

This is one rare occasion where I wish I went physical. Then again, it's 2019 and Nintendo shouldn't be so inept in implementing DLC functions to begin with. Ridiculous. :/
Just go to the eShop, go to the menu and in the "redownload content" area, there's an entry to redownload the DLC of a title.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Finally beat Overwhelm today in co-op. That game is incredible and currently at the top of my GotY list. They added a patch since launch to let you play with any controller (it used to be split joycon only in coop) which made it much more manageable. As someone who traditionally doesn't like rougelikes I really appreciated the consistent map. Random enemies and limited lives is more than enough randomness for me. I don't want to get into spoilers, but I will say it does do some surprisingly spooky stuff with such a limited art style.

Below is a video of me and my brother fumbling through a stage cautiously since we had already killed 3/5 bosses this run. Being able to revive a partner makes life so much easier and makes it easy to recommend to anyone looking for a couch coop game. We did turn on one assist, changing the reaction time from 250 milliseconds to 350 milliseconds (it can go all the way up to 500). There are other assists available, including pausing the game when you pull up the map, unlimited bullets, and unlimited ammo. Honestly though, just tweaking the reaction time slightly is enough to avoid most of the cheap deaths that come from enemies flying at you from off screen.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I thought Dark Souls ran well for what it was. I also thought it ended up being much easier than anticipated due to it's reputation.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
.Coming this week

• 30 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - Square Enix - $49.99/€49.99 - 12.6 GB
    --
  • 01 - Crashbots - Sometimes You - $9.99/€9.99 (Preorder sale: $8.99/€8.99) - 645 MB
  • 01 - Puzzle Herder - Tiny Trinket Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 515 MB
  • 01 - Table Top Racing: World Tour Nitro Edition - Greenlight Games - $29.99/€27.79 (Preorder sale: $23.99/€22.23) - 3.0 GB
    --
  • 02 - VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - Ysbryd Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 565 MB
  • 02 - Giga Wreck Alt. - Game Freak/Rising Star Games - $24.99/€24.99 - 1.1 GB
  • 02 - The Swords of Ditto: Mormo's Curse - onebitbeyond/Devolver Digital - $14.99/€14.99 (Preorder sale: $11.99/€11.99) - 1.6 GB
  • 02 - Venture Kid - Snikkabo/FDG Ent. - $10.00/€10.00 - 16 MB
  • 02 - Duck Game - Adult Swim Games - $12.99/€12.99 - 242 MB
  • 02 - Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut - Born Ready Games - $19.99/€19.99 - 3.2 GB
  • 02 - Hexa Gravity - Forsaken Games - $1.99/€1.99 - 267 MB
  • 02 - Darkest Hunters - Ultimate Games - €4.99 - 195 MB *EU*
    --
  • 03 - Shadows of Adam - Circle Ent. - $14.99/€14.99 (Preorder sale: $13.49/€13.49) - 749 MB
  • 03 - Black Paradox - Digerati - $14.99/€14.99 - 447 MB
  • 03 - Gyro Boss DX - Chequered - $4.99/€4.49 - 37 MB
  • 03 - Preventive Strike - SimFabric - €1.79 - 381 MB
  • 03 - Hellmut: The Badass from Hell - 2tainment - $29.99/€29.99 - 551 MB
  • 03 - Xtreme Club Racing - EnjoyUp Games - $9.89/€9.89 (Preorder sale: $6.92/€6.92) - 1.5 GB
  • 03 - Quadle - Clickteam - €6.99 - 78 MB

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I thought Dark Souls ran well for what it was. I also thought it ended up being much easier than anticipated due to it's reputation.

It wasn't that hard yes, though it took me quite some time to beat Laurel and Hardy (I just had the wrong weapon).
Most of my death in the game were either cheap Rick Dangerous-level of traps, drunk camera, collision issues and plateforming sections designed by David fucking Cage. I did not like that game, and I will not buy Dark Souls 2 nor 3 on switch. It's unfortunate because the lore and level design are amazing. Visuals look great as well, though really, that game should and could be 60fps on Switch (as it is, it's just a port and certainly not a remastered).
From what I've played, Sekiro is much more enjoyable, but those traitors of From won't bring it to switch.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
May is just Team Sonic Racing for me. I've got my eyes on Giga Wrecker Alt, Castlevania Collection, & Va-11 Hall-A (I got 2048 via PS+, should give that a try since I recall both games are set in the same universe), but those are "wait for a sale" at the moment, especially after Cuphead, Picross S3, & Boxboy all came out this month.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing with Dark Souls is that the devs, From Software, aren't really the best at the whole optimization thing, so their games usually don't perform very well and are saved by their art direction and game design. Dark Souls 1 in particular was sub HD on its target platforms and the FPS count could usually drop to the lowcount when there was much action on screen and yes, Blighttown was really that bad, I'm talking almost single digits here; absolutely horrible.

People often speculated it'd take essentially remaking the game in a different engine for porting to be effective the way it was. The PC port could be modded to get higher resolutions and go beyond 30FPS but IIRC it broke some minor stuff in the game. Basically the game was a mess.

So yeah it's not as impressive to the naked eye, but the fact that the game runs at 720p, near locked 30FPS on a portable device not all that more powerful than its original target platforms and without any sacrifices is really impressive. It doesn't have the visual flare people often expect from remasters but it's Dark Souls as it was meant to be from the start and that's still very nice (hell, I prefer this to my PS4 version, even though 60FPS DS1 is amazing).

(Just dropping some trivia. Everyone's free to dislike the game, obviously).

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
(Just dropping some trivia. Everyone's free to dislike the game, obviously).

Yeah, everyone is free to be WRONG about Dark Souls and dislike it :P

/s

By the way, I've mentioned the parry/riposte sound wouldn't come out on Switch if I'm to quick to riposte. Well, I booted the game again and for some reason it works as it should now. bytesized mentioned some weird issues other people didn't see, so maybe the game acts a bit weird the first time you boot it or something like that.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Ordered Tiny Barbarian and Dragon's Dogma, don't know when i'll get to them cause I still have Dark Souls, Starlink DLC tomorrow, all the Picross, and more...need to prioritize!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
.Coming this week
  • 02 - VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - Ysbryd Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 565 MB
This reminds me, do we know if the JP Switch version of VA-11 will have English or not? I'd like to buy the physical from there, but haven't been able to find it on the eshop or any word on what languages are included. I'm guessing a physical version elsewhere is still not a thing yet (if ever).