• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
'Passpartout: The Starving Artist' has served me to realize that I'm obsessed with painting penises.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone excited about Atari Flashback Classics today? Looks like a good selection of games across arcade, 2600 and 5200 and I love the vector graphics options to change the brightness/bloom seen in this video of it:

Ordered physical version from Amazon US since it doesn't have a physical release here in Europe.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Here's hoping for that Gris discount.🤞🏾

Edit:
Aaaaannnndd it does.

Edit 2:
Gris is one of, if not the only icon that is perfect without the text and I hope they never update it to appease the crazies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gris is $14.44 in the US if you own any other Devolver Digital-published game. I assume there's also a discount in Europe.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Of course EarthLock is finally at a price I'm willing to pay while I'm playing games prefer to give my time to.

Also, Omensight looks (and sounds) really cool. Definitely will check that out at a later date.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize Desert Child banner replaced the cigarette for a lollipop.

8d4621f86283fc9796aa92fevk.jpg

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
They re-made Toki for sega genesis? What a bizarre choice. This was one of the first genesis games I ever saw someone play.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
They re-made Toki for sega genesis? What a bizarre choice. This was one of the first genesis games I ever saw someone play.

'Toki' for the Mega Drive was a completely different version to the original arcade game.

While most of the sprites were recycled and the bosses were still here, they changed the layout of the levels and the placement of the enemies.

I remember to be disappointed back in the day with not having an arcade port, because it was one of my favorite games as a kid.

But looking this with the perspective of time, and now that we can play the original arcade version in Mame, I really appreciate to have a different game in console, instead of a dowgraded port.

Regarding this Switch port, I'm against the new look. I would have preferred a faithful arcade port.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Whoa, the Steam reviews are extremely positive but they clearly say this game seems hardcore.
I wonder how many will be tricked by the cute icon on the eshop.

The dev tweeted awhile ago back that QOL updates weren't the same for console ports Vs. the Steam version, because it wasn't developed by them. Idk if this also applies to the Switch platform. Personally, I wouldn't use Steam reviews for Rain World.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to ignore reviews on Desert Child yesterday and I'm kinda regretting it. It certainly isn't a bad game, but it feels pretty half-baked... Races aren't nearly as substantial as you'd expect, being the main focus of the game and all; they're pretty short and extremely samey save for the background environments, and the game world is kinda confusing to navigate because different screens change the perspective very often and I'm constantly going back to the previous one by accident, very disorienting.

Game doesn't communicate much to you either regarding your goals and all (you can figure them out on your own after a bit, but still) and menus feel like they're lacking some visual feedback... It's hard to explain.

Overall it feels like a stripped down demo of a cool, stylish game, lacking quite a bit of polish. Not very happy with my purchase, to be honest.

Oh and Rain World looks nice, maybe I'll bite on that, not sure what it's about exactly tho.
I saw Kero Blaster on sale on the US eShop. Did this ever get patched? I recall there was some issue with rendering text, or pixel mapping, or some such thing. Love the game on PS4, and would love to double dip and have it on the go, but not sure I want to unless a fix had dropped or is coming.

Edit: I went back and looked it up, seems like the problem was it is blurry in handheld mode. I suppose it doesn't render to 720p correctly?
Yeah the game is sub native resolution and looks blurry in handheld mode, very jarring. And nope, hasn't been fixed.

Last edited:

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
This week there are games with art so good that I had to make a collage as the Epic store.

Amazing artwork. I suppose that it took a lot of work, but to have a similar collage every week will be amazing.

Nice detail to include 'Starman', one of the sleepers of the month, that seems like the lovechild of 'Monument Valley' and 'Limbo'.

The low price of the Switch development kits has created a situation in which these type of small games that were unlikely to exist in console, are coming each week.

I think that this has been the most revolutionary thing of Switch, and in the long term, the defining factor to explain why in only two years, for the first time we have a console whose variety of releases each week can compete with Steam.

I'm still amazed of seeing games like 'Starman' and 'Viviette', which are coming from really small and humble studios.

Talking about gorgeous art styles, 'The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human' is something special. One of the most beautiful underwater games ever made.

21CD81A43641084756DBD562FB69A34E50E3D20E

5337BF59072ED53303386B5FC656B87355F74515

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Just grabbed Phantasy Star. Ive heard of the series before and had a ps2 game a long time ago. Seen it on the shop and it looked really cool. Did I make a good purchase lol? I do like playing old jrpgs most the time

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very interested in Rain World, looks awesome, but I wonder if it's 60FPS in handheld mode (launch trailer isn't).

Maybe I should wait and see how Gris turns out. That one looks gorgeous but I have no idea what the actual game is like, so RW looks like the better option for now.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Rain world has an "easy mode" now (the Monk timeline) so the accusations of punishing difficulty aren't quite as valid now. But it is not a standard platformer. It's more of a survival simulator. If you just push hard towards the story goals, you'll get frustrated. You are prey to most of the creatures in the world, so behave accordingly. Be cautious, and push your boundaries carefully. It's incredibly rewarding to discover how the world works, and eventually what it all means.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Rain World confirmed for today (noon EST):

Really great news! I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play it in the immediate future but I may go ahead and pick it up anyway ..... The other versions are I think all 20 USD, hopefully this is as well.

Yay! I'm so excited. This is a game I've wanted on Switch for quite a while now. It's definitely not a game for everyone, but it's the sort of game that will absolutely wow the people it is for.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I can get past my own feelings of nostalgia and play Phantasy Star with FM audio. It's like the title screen's melody is completely lost in FM, even though the overall quality is extremely clean. Will have to try both in-game and see how it goes...

Edit: What is with these occasional crackly sounds in non-FM? :(

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
It seems that nowadays, if you are not called FromSoftware or you don't have a noisy fanbase behind you, you can't release a hard game without confronting bad reviews and the angry reactions of the users.

'Rain World' seems a good example of this, 'Runner3' this year was other example of game with a brilliant level design in which the developers were forced to include an easy mode, seeing the negative criticism.

I have never understood this. I prefer hard platformers, but I will never criticize a Kirby game for being easy. If this is what the developers were trying to achieve with their level design.

There is a thin line between "a game is not for me, and I don't have the patience for this", and the hyperbolic reactions of "this is the greatest piece of shit ever made and I will commit ritual suicide to show my disapproval to the developers".

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Marble It Up! on sale. Looking forward to this since Super Monkey Ball is one of my favourite games ever.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rain world has an "easy mode" now (the Monk timeline) so the accusations of punishing difficulty aren't quite as valid now. But it is not a standard platformer. It's more of a survival simulator. If you just push hard towards the story goals, you'll get frustrated. You are prey to most of the creatures in the world, so behave accordingly. Be cautious, and push your boundaries carefully. It's incredibly rewarding to discover how the world works, and eventually what it all means.
This sound extremely up my alley. At this point I'm just waiting for performance impressions (who am I kidding, I'm probably still getting it even if it has issues).
Picked up Marble It Up! on sale. Looking forward to this since Super Monkey Ball is one of my favourite games ever.
It's quite short (though I hear there's free content being added in the near future) but really, really good. It's so pretty, fun and satisfying to play, I love it.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'd appreciate some Omensight impressions. Notebly how it runs.

Watched a review of the PS4 version and the reviewer said that it had slight performance issues. So I'm not expecting much, tbh.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It seems that nowadays, if you are not called FromSoftware or you don't have a noisy fanbase behind you, you can't release a hard game without confronting bad reviews and the angry reactions of the users.

'Rain World' seems a good example of this, 'Runner3' this year was other example of game with a brilliant level design in which the developers were forced to include an easy mode, seeing the negative criticism.

I have never understood this. I prefer hard platformers, but I will never criticize a Kirby game for being easy. If this is what the developers were trying to achieve with their level design.

There is a thin line between "a game is not for me, and I don't have the patience for this", and the hyperbolic reactions of "this is the greatest piece of shit ever made and I will commit ritual suicide to show my disapproval to the developers".
I haven't played Rain World yet, but from what I understand a lot of it's difficulty (and this is also true for something like Dark Souls fwiw) is that it doesn't explicitly make clear to the player how it's mechanics and systems work. I think a lot of people find this frustrating specifically because they could "just look it up" and thus see it as a failure of the game design rather than an intentional measure to encourage the player to observe and fail and learn. Although from what I understand Rain World is also pretty punishing even when you understand how things work too! So I do think there's a bit of a difference between something like this and e.g. Runner 3 or another similarly hard platformer.

I don't know though, in any case I'm really looking forward to Rain World because I know so little about it, and I'll do my best to approach it on its own terms and not do much googling....

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested in Rain World, looks awesome, but I wonder if it's 60FPS in handheld mode (launch trailer isn't).

Maybe I should wait and see how Gris turns out. That one looks gorgeous but I have no idea what the actual game is like, so RW looks like the better option for now.

Gris reviews are out now, if that's helpful. I was sorry to see you get burned with a game this week so I hope your next purchase will be more satisfying.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gris-review-thread.86880/

Some very positive impressions in the OT also.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gris-ot-and-it-took-every-colour-to-draw-her.86727/page-3

My impression from reviews is that it's light on gameplay challenge and game length but is more of an experiental and artistic game and is greatly enjoyable from that perspective.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
So I had some coins I was saving if Hollow Knight when on sale again but caved in and spent some on that slime SRPG someone made a thread about. Very excited to try it soon. I've got some more coins and am eyeing either the Mercenaries Chronicles collection (or stand alone sequel) or the Fairune Collection... Has anyone got any suggestions of one over the other?

Edit: Ambition of the Slimes was the name of the game I got btw. $3.50 for what sounded like a unique take on the genre.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Edit: Ambition of the Slimes was the name of the game I got btw. $3.50 for what sounded like a unique take on the genre.

'Ambition of the Slimes' is one of the finest turn based strategy games ever made, in the same tier of 'Into the Breach' and the best entries of the 'Fire Emblem' series, regarding its level design and perfect balance.

You will have a blast, it's a game whose content with hundreds of hours of gameplay, doesn't fit the low asking price.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
So what exactly is the difference between Ages Mode and Original Mode in Phantasy Star? I read through the manual but couldn't find any info on this.
Edit: Nevermind. I skipped ahead in the manual I guess. Original Mode it is then.

And yeah, Ambition of the Slimes is great. Fans of Into the Breach should check it out.

Oct 28, 2017
Did I see that Bomb Chicken was on sale? If so, do yourself a favor and pick this game up! I wrote a nice review for it on my personal game blog/site back when it launched earlier this year that you can read here! If you appreciate and dig Game Boy Advance era 2D platformers like Drill Dozer and Wario Land 4, you'll be right at home here. =)

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh

I think things get distilled down to "good/bad, love/hate" all too often in life, hence any current political climate...or really ever.

I appreciated the added difficulty that was included with Runner3, and that occurred most likely as a counterbalance to issues that were presented initially. I jacked it all the way, up, and got more points for doing so!

With Runner3, the difficulty got scapegoated for it's lack of success, but if you recall back at launch, fervent Runner2 fans hated the new style and design shifts. Kinda reminds me of Nidhog 2, and how people reacted.

I'd say Runner3 is actually quite a bit easier than most rhythm games I've played, and far more forgiving. I quit or move forward pretty quickly with many traditional rhythm games. With Runner3 I enjoyed the challenge due to it's style, gameplay mechanics, and music.

For me Rain World just didn't click in a lot of ways. I'd heard about it for awhile, and when I got it on Steam, it just didn't feel fun, more so than being difficult. Doesn't mean I won't revisit it, and I'd love to on Switch, but after investing on it already, and thousands more dollars in games this year, I think I'll hold off for a bit.

People always shit on things. I keep seeing the toxicity that's now validated by Digital Foundry's Ark review of the Switch port. People just hate, spew venom, and devalue any worth that a product might have, often because it's trendy and a steamroller of angst that's easier to roll onto, than defend. That game has value to me, and that review today devalues all it could possibly have, simply due to visual fidelity, which is quite poor of course. Similarly, Gris is reviewing mostly excellent from many sites and users, but for me, I'm not seeing much gameplay or hooks past visuals and audio to warrant experiencing that presently, but visually it's phenomenal. So conversely, Ark is horrid, but gameplay can be rewarding.

Slap the word "artistic" on a product, and it can be validated. Slap "abysmal performance" and it's entirely negated. All of those ideas can be subjective, and if a user enjoys Gris or Ark or any game, good for them. And also if a user tries a game or a piece of media, and can elaborate in thoughtful ways their issues with that product, also, good for them. The larger issue is one that toxicity creates a steamroller of negativity that is often entirely accepted, sans any merit or direct interaction with a product. And for me, that attitude often drives me to buy a game I might actually wish to challenge my idea of, rather than not engage it.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
This sound extremely up my alley. At this point I'm just waiting for performance impressions (who am I kidding, I'm probably still getting it even if it has issues).

It's quite short (though I hear there's free content being added in the near future) but really, really good. It's so pretty, fun and satisfying to play, I love it.

Is Marble it Up! really on sale? Before the first patch hitting for the Switch, that's genuinely not appreciated. I got so excited, and hyped that game up for weeks prior to launch, and it was fairly barebones content wise, and now it gets a sale price before any new content is added for initial supporters??? What turned from one of my possible game of the year style purchases, has really floundered and disappointed me quite a bit now. That blows.....really irked by that of it's really on sale.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gris reviews are out now, if that's helpful. I was sorry to see you get burned with a game this week so I hope your next purchase will be more satisfying.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gris-review-thread.86880/

Some very positive impressions in the OT also.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gris-ot-and-it-took-every-colour-to-draw-her.86727/page-3

My impression from reviews is that it's light on gameplay challenge and game length but is more of an experiental and artistic game and is greatly enjoyable from that perspective.
Ah thank you, for some reason I thought it was coming out tomorrow. Sounds nice, but I think I'll pass for now.
It still have the vehicle upgrades I hope?
It has everything 3D Outrun had (sans 3D effect obviously) and more, actually.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious how RainWorld runs..I guess it's unrealistic to expect a solid 60fps but it would be nice.