• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Rain world has an "easy mode" now (the Monk timeline) so the accusations of punishing difficulty aren't quite as valid now. But it is not a standard platformer. It's more of a survival simulator. If you just push hard towards the story goals, you'll get frustrated. You are prey to most of the creatures in the world, so behave accordingly. Be cautious, and push your boundaries carefully. It's incredibly rewarding to discover how the world works, and eventually what it all means.

Really? What does it do?

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
'Passpartout: The Starving Artist' has served me to realize that I'm obsessed with painting penises.

Hehe. So are you truly obsessed or are you a bad painter like me who couldn't draw anything decent even if his life depended on it?

I have it on Switch and it is quite bad version. Playable for that kind of a game but awful frame rate. As a game it is ok.
That's a bummer. The main reason to get Last Day of June is Steven Wilson's Music because I'm a fan of his work. So a Sale would be very appreciate.

The music in June is amazing, but that's about it. Gameplay became annoying fast, performance was quite bad and the story was predictable and didn't have an impact. It was the music that stayed with me after finishing it and I had some of the songs on repeat for weeks after. I hadn't heard of Wilson before playing June.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Finally got Inversus after so much praise from Epilexia , it's greatly discounted and so far it is definitely up my alley.

Weird how the graphic design looks so boring at first glance but actually it's an incredible exercise in elegant minimalism which actually enhances the gameplay. A more complex or decorative graphic design would've most probably resulted in a worse experience with such reflex based gameplay.

I'm still getting to understand the scoring system and when is worth using charged shots and when not. How did you get over one million points on the first level Epilexia? 😅

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Is Marble it Up! really on sale? Before the first patch hitting for the Switch, that's genuinely not appreciated. I got so excited, and hyped that game up for weeks prior to launch, and it was fairly barebones content wise, and now it gets a sale price before any new content is added for initial supporters??? What turned from one of my possible game of the year style purchases, has really floundered and disappointed me quite a bit now. That blows.....really irked by that of it's really on sale.
Yeah, 20%.... it's on my wishlist but if it's so barebones as you say I won't be buying it, even at a discount.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Yeah, 20%.... it's on my wishlist but if it's so barebones as you say I won't be buying it, even at a discount.

I felt really irked that it released at $20, with the very immediate promise of added content, and now three months later, that content still hasn't passed certification on it's core console release??? (I know Nintendo has issues with patches and such, by come on already, even Zen Pinball's second Williams release is only two weeks off.) So rather than cope with that, here's a $4 savings to people that haven't bought it yet.

What about the people that supported this at full price, day one?

I receive their weekly newsletter, and follow them on Twitter, and subscribed to the thread here as well. I'm genuinely disappointed.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Hehe. So are you truly obsessed or are you a bad painter like me who couldn't draw anything decent even if his life depended on it?

I'm a terrible painter, but this is part of the spirit of 'Passpartout', to create awful and ridiculous pieces of art.

The penis that I painted was called Pink Flamingo, as an homage to John Waters. I think that that's the spirit of the game :)

I'm still getting to understand the scoring system and when is worth using charged shots and when not. How did you get over one million points on the first level Epilexia?

The scoring is incremental. The key is to not break your chain. If you fail a single shoot, the combo meter is restarted. So it's not a game about shooting in a brainless way, but about trying to be accurate with each shoot.

Also, like in 'Bangai-O', if the enemies are close behind them, every explosion will create a chain reaction destroying the enemies in adjacent squares.

And do you see the small circles in the playfield that you can take? They are not points, but they are used to recharge your weapon. With each point, you will obtain a red circle that will make you next shooting more effective.

To do charged shoots is specially effective to clean the playfield. But the counterpart is that if an enemy moves before you have charged your shoot, you can break your chain.

In the most intense parts of this first arena in which I scored a million of points, there is a mesmerizing part in which the board will get constantly filled with enemies, and the only way to survive is to clean the board with chain explosions. So fucking intense!

And as you have said, it's one of these games that can seem boring in the screenshots, but like 'N++', at the end it results in a brilliant exercise in minimalism.

In my opinion, it's one of the most brilliant contemporary shmups, on par with the two Vertex Pop games, 'We Are Doomed' and 'Graceful Explosion Machine'.

And surprisingly for a western title, it's a really popular game in Japan. They make regular tournaments.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Played a bit of Phantasy Star and I love the extra stuff M2 added. Automapping is pure heaven, equipment tables make shopping way easier and in the new Ages mode there are way less random encounters -- oh, you get 4x money from enemies!

You can go hardcore if you want and turn everything off, but even a veteran like me appreciates some of that stuff. Phantasy Star 1 and Zelda 1 are games I've beaten countless times, but while I can beat Zelda in 1 hour, Phantasy Star often takes me 6-7 hours. I think with the new Ages mode I'll be speedrunning this thing! Let's see how fast I can beat it now.

I'm trying to get used to the FM sound, but it's hard because I've been playing Phantasy Star with non-FM sound for more than 25 years. I would love to hear opinions on FM x non-FM sound from people who are playing this for the first time.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
So what's the deal with Roller Coaster Tycoon. Like everyone else on the planet I love 1&2 and couldn't get into 3, but I've never even heard of this.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
H
Played a bit of Phantasy Star and I love the extra stuff M2 added. Automapping is pure heaven, equipment tables make shopping way easier and in the new Ages mode there are way less random encounters -- oh, you get 4x money from enemies!

You can go hardcore if you want and turn everything off, but even a veteran like me appreciates some of that stuff. Phantasy Star 1 and Zelda 1 are games I've beaten countless times, but while I can beat Zelda in 1 hour, Phantasy Star often takes me 6-7 hours. I think with the new Ages mode I'll be speedrunning this thing! Let's see how fast I can beat it now.

I'm trying to get used to the FM sound, but it's hard because I've been playing Phantasy Star with non-FM sound for more than 25 years. I would love to hear opinions on FM x non-FM sound from people who are playing this for the first time.

Happy Phantasy Star Day to ya Rob! Glad you could finally get this as a western eshop release, and was really happy to see you playing it earlier!!!! :)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Donut County is listed on the eshop, but good lord yellow text on a bright green background was a bad choice.

Ritoo

Jun 5, 2018
V-Rally 4 don't look that bad ,saw few videos and actually liked,at Least in docked mode... don't know in portable but till Grid comes out this Can fill that rally void.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
V-Rally 4 don't look that bad ,saw few videos and actually liked,at Least in docked mode... don't know in portable but till Grid comes out this Can fill that rally void.

Excellent find!! Man, I wish this wasn't a delayed NA launch, from the EU one. Gear Club 2 didn't fill in this niche at all, and this looks really solid for the Switch!

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
After checking the games on sale, I have a few questions:
- Does Crypt of the Necrodancer Switch Edition have all the DLC released so far (especially the Dangarompa one)? Also just curious, but does it use the HD rumble for the rhythm?
- Are the Frederic games good? I've seen them on sale multiple times and I always forget to ask about them before they go to the normal price.
- If my memory serves me right, RE: Revelations (1 at least, don't remember if 2 had it too) had gyro aiming. Was it good?

So far I think I'm gonna get Count Lucanor, but during the last days of the sale. That way I can check if they add new sales or something.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

I'm still in mild disbelief that it's actually out. It's downloaded and ready to go but I'm afraid if I attempt to start it, it'll brick my system. /s

I've never played the first Phantasy Star and I have very little experience with old school RPGs outside of Final Fantasy, so it'll be interesting to see how a noob like me will take to it.

Just glad you (and many others posting and lurking in here) FINALLY get to play this after the delays and confusion without resorting to the JP eShop.

If SEGA pulls the same crap with Sonic 2, I just might go ballistic. lol

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rain World is 30FPS in handheld btw. Main menu text is quite small too, but shouldn't be an issue.
After checking the games on sale, I have a few questions:
- Does Crypt of the Necrodancer Switch Edition have all the DLC released so far (especially the Dangarompa one)? Also just curious, but does it use the HD rumble for the rhythm?
- Are the Frederic games good? I've seen them on sale multiple times and I always forget to ask about them before they go to the normal price.
- If my memory serves me right, RE: Revelations (1 at least, don't remember if 2 had it too) had gyro aiming. Was it good?

So far I think I'm gonna get Count Lucanor, but during the last days of the sale. That way I can check if they add new sales or something.
Necrodancer does indeed come with all the DLC, including the new campaign and the DR content. There's no rumble tho (unless it's hidden as a toggle somewhere and I haven't seen it).

Last edited:

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Played like ten minutes of Rain World docked. The menu text is absurdly small but besides that everything in the game seems way too small. Maybe it's just my TV/my distance from it, and maybe it'd be better in handheld, but it was very, very hard to see what can be picked up or interacted with.

Performance seemed fine although I didn't run into the actual rain yet, that seemed like a pretty intensive effect.
Seems like a very cool game though, I'll stick with it for sure. Despite the small size I really like how the static rooms/screens work.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017

Happy PS day guys! I think you summed up my initial impressions perfectly - I've beaten PS1 a ton of times, to be able to get the
roadpass
in like 5 minutes and get moving is just awesome. As you said the mapping & gear/beast tables are just great too. I'm running it with the FM sound enabled just for a change, and I really appreciate you can toggle it back & forth along with the graphic settings.

This is great, the wait sucked but I'm pumped. Here's to hoping we get a bunch more Ages releases.

Seeing Alex Kidd & Nei in the boot intro started the "oh shit, yes please" thoughts spinning around my head.

Enjoy everyone!

Feb 22, 2018
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition is avalible to pre-perchase on the U.S eShop. You will have to search it up to find it though. (unless I missed it in the coming soon section)
I think this is new since Namco Bandai Twitter (N.A) just tweeted about it 4 hours ago and Nintendo of America retweeted it.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
Ikaruga seems to be on sale in Japan with a 39% discount (just under 8 euro now). Hmm, now that I've got the Switch Flipgrip I'm very tempted. Hopefully the discount will come to EU as well, since JP buying is a bit of a hassle.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I don't know if I can get past my own feelings of nostalgia and play Phantasy Star with FM audio. It's like the title screen's melody is completely lost in FM, even though the overall quality is extremely clean. Will have to try both in-game and see how it goes...

Edit: What is with these occasional crackly sounds in non-FM? :(

Yes, I've noticed this weird crackling in the non-FM version of the town theme. It happens every time the music is about to loop. And the FM town theme is a bit weird too. I haven't noticed any issues with other themes, but I still haven't played much (busy day), so if you've noticed other instances of this, I would love to know about it.

Happy Phantasy Star Day to ya Rob! Glad you could finally get this as a western eshop release, and was really happy to see you playing it earlier!!!! :)

Thanks, wes! I'm suuuper happy with portable Phantasy Star!

I'm still in mild disbelief that it's actually out. It's downloaded and ready to go but I'm afraid if I attempt to start it, it'll brick my system. /s

I've never played the first Phantasy Star and I have very little experience with old school RPGs outside of Final Fantasy, so it'll be interesting to see how a noob like me will take to it.

I don't usually recommend Phantasy Star to new players because 1) there are lots of battles, 2) dungeons are kind of insane without maps and 3) there is a lot of grinding. Well, this release fixes all of these, so this is the perfect time to jump in. Hope you like it and feel free to ask if you have any questions!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Played several hours of Phantasy Star, the Ages version ends up going so much quicker with the beefed up leveling, walking speed and automapped dungeons. Holds up really well.

I'd pay $60 easily for a physical La~Mulana EX + LM2 Collection on Switch.

But I'll take anything, digital, physical, whatever just release it for Switch (no, not "announce it" because with Nigoro + Nicalis I would not look forward of years without info at all... I prefer a shadow drop or close to it.

Tl;dr:

LA~MULANA EX and LA~MULANA 2 on Switch would be incredible
I believe La-Mulana 2 was already confirmed for spring 2019 on Switch. Also it's published by Playism, Nicalis never ended up publishing any La-Mulana games.

Nigoro also said they were interested in porting EX to Switch iirc.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Happy PS day guys! I think you summed up my initial impressions perfectly - I've beaten PS1 a ton of times, to be able to get the
roadpass
in like 5 minutes and get moving is just awesome. As you said the mapping & gear/beast tables are just great too. I'm running it with the FM sound enabled just for a change, and I really appreciate you can toggle it back & forth along with the graphic settings.

This is great, the wait sucked but I'm pumped. Here's to hoping we get a bunch more Ages releases.

Seeing Alex Kidd & Nei in the boot intro started the "oh shit, yes please" thoughts spinning around my head.

Enjoy everyone!

That initial grinding is brutal in the original game (though buying an iron sword at Parolit speeds things up a lot), so when I booted the ages mode and got 52 meseta out of a single scorpion, I was like "WHAAAAT?" ^_^

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Rain World is 30FPS in handheld btw. Main menu text is quite small too, but shouldn't be an issue.

Played like ten minutes of Rain World docked. The menu text is absurdly small but besides that everything in the game seems way too small. Maybe it's just my TV/my distance from it, and maybe it'd be better in handheld, but it was very, very hard to see what can be picked up or interacted with.

Performance seemed fine although I didn't run into the actual rain yet, that seemed like a pretty intensive effect.
Seems like a very cool game though, I'll stick with it for sure. Despite the small size I really like how the static rooms/screens work.

Cool thanks for the quick impressions. Is the framerate in Docked mode any different? I do have the Steam version which has random framerate hitches but Id much rather play this portable...not sure how the game would feel in 30fps but I suppose I could limit the steam version to find out if it's still enjoyable.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea when Dynasty Warriors 8 will go up on the eShop? I've heard some worry that it'll be based on the Vita version, from footage we've seen, which would... not be good...

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hey, this looks great! But apparently there's always a catch with racing games on Switch, so what's the catch in V-Rally 4?

Excellent find!! Man, I wish this wasn't a delayed NA launch, from the EU one. Gear Club 2 didn't fill in this niche at all, and this looks really solid for the Switch!

... oh, now I see what the catch is. In this video, the shadows are very weird. I don't usually complain about this kind of stuff, but it's very distracting.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Hey, this looks great! But apparently there's always a catch with racing games on Switch, so what's the catch in V-Rally 4?

... oh, now I see what the catch is. In this video, the shadows are very weird. I don't usually complain about this kind of stuff, but it's very distracting.

Yeah, people had issues with a video posted maybe a month ago. They're more aggressive pop in wise here. I hope there's an option to turn them off or I wonder if they wanted to push this game out sooner for European Rally fans.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Cool thanks for the quick impressions. Is the framerate in Docked mode any different? I do have the Steam version which has random framerate hitches but Id much rather play this portable...not sure how the game would feel in 30fps but I suppose I could limit the steam version to find out if it's still enjoyable.
Definitely seemed like 30fps docked to me.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marble It Up plays great but wow, it really is barebones. Really needs double the amount of levels. A little bit of buyer's remorse here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I was just made aware via the eShop news of this game, Kingdom: Two Crowns. Apparently it's the third in a series; frankly it looks amazing, and I'm very glad to see reviews seem to praise it considerably.

Trailer:

A review:

Anyone has played any other game in the series?

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
I was just made aware via the eShop news of this game, Kingdom: Two Crowns. Apparently it's the third in a series; frankly it looks amazing, and I'm very glad to see reviews seem to praise it considerably.

I haven't played them personally but I remember hearing the previous one(s) had pretty bad performance issues. Not sure if they ever got fixed but hopefully Two Crowns is better because it looks good.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

Trailer:

A review:

Not sure if I woudl call it a series...the first game was just "Kingdoms" and they kinda just re-released that under a new name and expanded on it a little. Not sure what they added to this latest version though aside from the Shogun theme. Nintendo Life review does mention it has "patches of slowdown."

If you have Game Pass on xbox, it's also available there.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone mentioned that the UK & Ireland eshop is having a sale yet?
The website doesn't list all the discounted items properly, but if you go directly to the eShop on your Switch you'll see them all.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Official-UK-Store/Nintendo-eShop-Sale/Nintendo-eShop-Sale-1460557.html

Notable ones (for me, at least) are:
Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate is £34.99 (30% off)
SNK Heroines is £23.99 (40% off)
Shantae: Half genie hero is £7.99 (50% off). All DLC is 50% off too.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

I have been playing this and it is great. At first it feels like a little more polished version of the last game, but it really is different enough and all the changes are very welcome additions. I could live with those roquelike elements of the last game but this shows how much it is NOT my genre. That is the biggest change and changes the whole game. I can't recommend this game enough.

Other game I have been playing is Monster Boy and that game is so far very close to 10/10 and might be the best game of the whole year for me. It is worth the asking price. It feels more like a retail game. Even though it unfortunately is not that in Europe.

Last edited:

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I have been playing this and it is great. At first it feels like a little more polished version of the last game, but it really is different enough and all the changes are very welcome additions. I could live with those roquelike elements of the last game but this shows how much it is NOT my genre. That is the biggest change and changes the whole game. I can't recommend this game enough.

To be fair, I love roguelikes and 'Kingdom: New Lands' is one of my favorite games. But I also think that 'Kingdom' is a game that works much better without roguelike elements.

For two reasons: because it's not a game that can include too much randomized elements to make each playthrough a completely different experience, if you don't want to break the balance.

And because each island takes an insane amount of time to complete, so the permadeath feels extremely punishing.

The permadeath and roguelike elements only have sense in the original 'Kingdom' classic, before the New Lands expansion. Because it was a game contained in a single island, with a survival nature in its approach.

But even with this, I loved 'Kingdom: New Lands' because in my opinion, it creates a concrete mood that I have only found in two other video games: 'Proteus' and 'Breath of the Wild'.

'Kingdom: New Lands', 'Proteus' and 'Breath of the Wild' were about how to express a natural environment, creating a spiritual connection with the player. They are the closest experience to the mysticism of filmmakers such as Andrei Tarkovsky, Aleksandr Sokúrov or of films like 'Old Joy' by Kelly Reichardt.

It also had one of the most gorgeous artistic designs that I have seen in a video game, not to talk of its sound design. I think that Raw Fury is currently the better publisher in the industry, curating games with superb sound designs. As we can see with the fact that in the last years, they have monopolized all the categories in the sound department of the IGF Awards.

I'm really hyped to play this new 'Kingdom: Two Crowns', and I'm happy to see new people interested in the game, specially after the push of visibility of being included this month in Game Pass for the Xbox One, and in the Winter of Arcade promotion, which is the best thing that Microsoft has done this generation to give visibility to indie titles.

The only thing that makes me sad is that I live in a small city, so it's really hard to find people interested in indie games in my area. But to enjoy this with local co-op should be an unforgettable experience. Giving that you need to defend the right and the left part of the isle, it's a very clever take to have each player defending a zone.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Really? What does it do?
You consume less food while hibernating, gates stay unlocked once you unlock them, predators are less aggressive and fewer in number, and neutral creatures are easier to befriend (and harder to antagonise). The deeper bits of lore are also locked off, but tbh it's so well buried in the first place, you'd never see it all normally. It's interesting stuff, and all ties together with the game's themes, but best read on a wiki after you complete the game, IYSWIM.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

Trailer:

A review:

Played a little of New Lands on Switch previously, then spent Tuesday night playing the new one on Xbox game pass.

It's great fun - I'll definitely grab the Switch version when things quiet down a little. I didn't quite understand the death mechanic though. I died on the second area, and it brought me back to the first one again, but like halfway through the run, i.e. partially developed. Kind of weird. I wonder in retrospect if it was the begging of the previous season or something.