• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
You consume less food while hibernating, gates stay unlocked once you unlock them, predators are less aggressive and fewer in number, and neutral creatures are easier to befriend (and harder to antagonise). The deeper bits of lore are also locked off, but tbh it's so well buried in the first place, you'd never see it all normally. It's interesting stuff, and all ties together with the game's themes, but best read on a wiki after you complete the game, IYSWIM.

Huh. I'll give it another shot then. Wasn't really for me at the initial launch.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Played Phantasy Star until 3 AM. Wow, the Ages version is really good.

I'm playing on "Ages Mode" (enemies give you 4x money and exp) and it works very well. In the original game, money is tight and you need to grind a lot at certain spots because there are some crucial items that are very expensive. Even regular equipment sold in towns is pretty expensive and you have to grind for it, so I usually skip most of the weapons and armors sold in shops.

in Ages mode, however, it looks like I always have the right amount of money to buy new equipment. Not only that, but grinding for those expensive items is very quick. I think the 4x number is the sweet spot: it doesn't break the game, but you get enough money to try new equipment and advance without the need to grind. Super cool stuff.

I think I'm finally getting used to the FM sound. While some themes sound more melodic in the non-FM version, I think the FM version sounds more modern and smooth (my wife says "this version isn't annoying", I guess that's a good thing ^_^). The FM dungeon theme in particular sounds surprisingly close to the remixed version found in Phantasy Star IV.

I also like the display options. I don't usually enable filters, but smoothing makes the game look a lot like it did when I played it as a kid and I think it enhances the shades, giving the dungeons a comic book style that was probably intended by the devs at the time:

CHb4iVK.jpg

No filters

ZWbzJfA.jpg

Smoothing enabled

The only issue I've found so far is the weird crackling in the town theme. Oh, and the music stutters veeeeeery briefly when you save the game, but I'm being super picky here :P

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, the Sega Genesis Classics collection has Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4 amongst other JRPGs?

Fine! You twisted my arm, Sega. I'll buy your damn collection.

And since you know I hate incomplete collections, now I have to buy the Sega Ages release of the original Phantasy Star.

Damn grifters.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, the Sega Genesis Classics collection has Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4 amongst other JRPGs?

And since you know I hate incomplete collections, now I have to buy the Sega Ages release of the original Phantasy Star.

Damn grifters.
Lol, I was just thinking the exact same thing. Haven't even played a single Phantasy Star yet but now I want them all.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Grabbed Capcom Beat'em Up Collection, Fast RMX and The Last Penelope during this sale. These three will most likely be my last eShop purchases this year unless Lumines Remaster goes on sale before the end of the month.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
So bummed that Rain World didn't launch yesterday in the Europe eshop. Hopefully it will get a physical release in the future like the PS4 version, I love that game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks a lot everyone for the info on Kingdom: Two Crowns. Particularly:

I have been playing this and it is great. At first it feels like a little more polished version of the last game, but it really is different enough and all the changes are very welcome additions. I could live with those roquelike elements of the last game but this shows how much it is NOT my genre. That is the biggest change and changes the whole game. I can't recommend this game enough.

Other game I have been playing is Monster Boy and that game is so far very close to 10/10 and might be the best game of the whole year for me. It is worth the asking price. It feels more like a retail game. Even though it unfortunately is not that in Europe.

I assume you played it on Switch? How's performance?

Also I read on the wiki that the game still has separate roguelite modes in addition of the campaign, but I'm not sure if this is outdated info as I haven't seen mentioned in any of the reviews. Can you confirm / deny?

To be fair, I love roguelikes and 'Kingdom: New Lands' is one of my favorite games. But I also think that 'Kingdom' is a game that works much better without roguelike elements.

For two reasons: because it's not a game that can include too much randomized elements to make each playthrough a completely different experience, if you don't want to break the balance.

And because each island takes an insane amount of time to complete, so the permadeath feels extremely punishing.

The permadeath and roguelike elements only have sense in the original 'Kingdom' classic, before the New Lands expansion. Because it was a game contained in a single island, with a survival nature in its approach.

But even with this, I loved 'Kingdom: New Lands' because in my opinion, it creates a concrete mood that I have only found in two other video games: 'Proteus' and 'Breath of the Wild'.

'Kingdom: New Lands', 'Proteus' and 'Breath of the Wild' were about how to express a natural environment, creating a spiritual connection with the player. They are the closest experience to the mysticism of filmmakers such as Andrei Tarkovsky, Aleksandr Sokúrov or of films like 'Old Joy' by Kelly Reichardt.

It also had one of the most gorgeous artistic designs that I have seen in a video game, not to talk of its sound design. I think that Raw Fury is currently the better publisher in the industry, curating games with superb sound designs. As we can see with the fact that in the last years, they have monopolized all the categories in the sound department of the IGF Awards.

I'm really hyped to play this new 'Kingdom: Two Crowns', and I'm happy to see new people interested in the game, specially after the push of visibility of being included this month in Game Pass for the Xbox One, and in the Winter of Arcade promotion, which is the best thing that Microsoft has done this generation to give visibility to indie titles.

The only thing that makes me sad is that I live in a small city, so it's really hard to find people interested in indie games in my area. But to enjoy this with local co-op should be an unforgettable experience. Giving that you need to defend the right and the left part of the isle, it's a very clever take to have each player defending a zone.

Thanks a lot for the detailed info! Now I wish we were neighbours and could play co-op, hahah. But I live in Spain so that's kind of unlikely...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Wait, what?
*goes to read list*
What the everliving fuck? All Street Rage and Golden Axe games? Kid Chameleon? Alien Soldier? Gunstar Heroes? Beyond Oasis?!

That's freaking amazing. I wish it had Wonderboy and Sonic 3+Knuckles, but other than that this is amazing value. I can't justify getting this now, so close to Smash, but it's definitely wishlisted.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
The Atari Flashback Classics collection is really good. It's nice they included the arcade versions of some of the games, along with the 2600 versions. The virtual console pop up is a nice touch (the switches work). Emulation seems spot on (the games seem the same way as I remember them).

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Played Phantasy Star until 3 AM. Wow, the Ages version is really good.

I'm playing on "Ages Mode" (enemies give you 4x money and exp) and it works very well. In the original game, money is tight and you need to grind a lot at certain spots because there are some crucial items that are very expensive. Even regular equipment sold in towns is pretty expensive and you have to grind for it, so I usually skip most of the weapons and armors sold in shops.

in Ages mode, however, it looks like I always have the right amount of money to buy new equipment. Not only that, but grinding for those expensive items is very quick. I think the 4x number is the sweet spot: it doesn't break the game, but you get enough money to try new equipment and advance without the need to grind. Super cool stuff.

I think I'm finally getting used to the FM sound. While some themes sound more melodic in the non-FM version, I think the FM version sounds more modern and smooth (my wife says "this version isn't annoying", I guess that's a good thing ^_^). The FM dungeon theme in particular sounds surprisingly close to the remixed version found in Phantasy Star IV.

I also like the display options. I don't usually enable filters, but smoothing makes the game look a lot like it did when I played it as a kid and I think it enhances the shades, giving the dungeons a comic book style that was probably intended by the devs at the time:

CHb4iVK.jpg

No filters

ZWbzJfA.jpg

Smoothing enabled

The only issue I've found so far is the weird crackling in the town theme. Oh, and the music stutters veeeeeery briefly when you save the game, but I'm being super picky here :P

First time playing this. Having a great time with it. I will say it's very difficult to understand where to go next.

I wish Square would do something like this with some of the older Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. Would be amazing.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
First time playing this. Having a great time with it. I will say it's very difficult to understand where to go next.

I wish Square would do something like this with some of the older Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. Would be amazing.

I'm not sure what you mean? They basically redid all the Dragon Quests (when they released that 1/2 collection, the first game without the grind was basically a cakewalk, which was awesome) and all the early Final Fantasies for portable. Or do you mean re-releasing them not as remasters but with just a few QoL changes?

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean? They basically redid all the Dragon Quests (when they released that 1/2 collection, the first game without the grind was basically a cakewalk, which was awesome) and all the early Final Fantasies for portable. Or do you mean re-releasing them not as remasters but with just a few QoL changes?

I apologize. I meant to release the originals with th QOL changes or even the remasters for the Switch. I mean I guess Square is doing that with FF 7,9,10 and 12.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple of hours of Rain World last night and I'm really digging it. It's hard to get used to, but discovering every mechanic and learning how everything works is very rewarding.

30FPS looks a bit weird but is still responsive. Wish text was bigger tho.
Wait, what?
*goes to read list*
What the everliving fuck? All Street Rage and Golden Axe games? Kid Chameleon? Alien Soldier? Gunstar Heroes? Beyond Oasis?!

That's freaking amazing. I wish it had Wonderboy and Sonic 3+Knuckles, but other than that this is amazing value. I can't justify getting this now, so close to Smash, but it's definitely wishlisted.
Not sure if the Switch version has problems of its own, but in general this collection had relatively poor emulation, with sound and framerate issues in places on top of choppy multi-player; pretty much a typical Sega retro collection. It's why some avoid it and stick to AGES releases instead, those are individual but also handled by the best people in the business, M2.

Also we should probably let go of Sonic 3&K by now, for our own sanity's sake :(

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple questions about some releases this month:

1. Kingdom: Two Crowns - seriously interested in this, but I wonder if I am missing out on anything over New Lands? Is the same content here plus the added stuff for Two Crowns? Or is Two Crowns 100% different? I thought Two Crowns was supposed to be an expansion originally. I knw New Lands was a roguelike and Two Crowns is more of a campaign style, Im just wondering which is the better buy overall?

2. Knights of Pen and Paper - are these games decent for the price? I know they began life as mobile games, but is there enough quality content here to justify the buy on Switch? I love D&D, but just because the game is a reference to D&D gaming doesnt mean Im going to want to drop the coin on this, it would need to have some pretty solid content overall in terms of gameplay.

Thanks!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

1. Kingdom: Two Crowns - seriously interested in this, but I wonder if I am missing out on anything over New Lands? Is the same content here plus the added stuff for Two Crowns? Or is Two Crowns 100% different? I thought Two Crowns was supposed to be an expansion originally. I knw New Lands was a roguelike and Two Crowns is more of a campaign style, Im just wondering which is the better buy overall?

2. Knights of Pen and Paper - are these games decent for the price? I know they began life as mobile games, but is there enough quality content here to justify the buy on Switch? I love D&D, but just because the game is a reference to D&D gaming doesnt mean Im going to want to drop the coin on this, it would need to have some pretty solid content overall in terms of gameplay.

Thanks!
Just to echo these questions, I'm interested in Knights of Pen and Paper II after a youth spent playing tabletop and would love to hear some impressions.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Early days for JRPGs, so there are some traces of old CRPGs like Ultima and Wizardry. It's not "super open do whatever you want" like Ultima, but it's also not linear and easy to follow like later JRPGs.

If you're not using guides, I suggest you pay close attention to what people say in towns. "There is a legend about...", "People say...", "I have seen a..." -- take note! Most of the time, this is all the direction the game gives you.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Katamari is lighting up the charts! Happy with the performance in the demo.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume most know this already, but I played Katamari for the first time thanks to the remaster and it's a damn masterpiece. Hopefully it does well and we can get the sequel too.

Week December 13th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR
JP Article

- Games
  • Kingdom Two Crowns - Raw Fury - $19.99/€19.99 - 696 MB
  • Guacamelee 2 - Drinkbox Studios - $19.99/€19.99 (Launch sale: $17.99/€17.99) - 1.9 GB
  • Quarantine Circular - Bithell Games/Ant Workshop - $5.99/€5.99 - 935 MB
  • Desert Child - Akupara Games - $11.99/€10.49 - 707 MB
  • Everspace: Stellar Edition - Rockfish Games - $39.99/€39.99 - 3.5 GB
    kingdomtwocrownsvwerq.jpg
    guacamelee21adhj.jpg
    quarantinecircularmtc48.jpg
    desertchild4kc48.jpg
    everspacestellarediti8zf3j.jpg
  • GRIS - Nomada Studio/Devolver Digital - $16.99/€16.99 - 3.7 GB
  • Rain World - Adult Swim Games - $19.99 - 2.0 GB *12/27 on EU*
  • Starman - Nada Studio - $8.99/€7.99 - 487 MB
  • Omensight - Spearhead Games - $19.99/€16.79 - 8.9 GB
  • V-Rally 4 - Bigben Interactive - €49.99 - 11.4 GB *EU*
    grisf9dy8.jpg
    rainworldtyegt.jpg
    starmantlfao.jpg
    omensightdefinitiveed1bd2m.jpg
    v-rally4nsixy.jpg
  • Phantasy Star - Master System - M2/Sega - $7.99/€6.99 - 106 MB
  • Metal Slug 5 - NeoGeo - SNK/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99 - 110 MB
  • Atari Flashback Classics - Atari - $39.99 - 375 MB *NA*
  • Athena - Arcade - SNK/Hamster Co.. - $7.99/€6.99 - 78 MB
  • Blue Rider - eastasiasoft - $9.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: €8.99) - 781 MB
    segaagesphantasystarddemw.jpg
    acaneogeometalslug5g7cnn.jpg
    atariflashbackclassicj2i9g.jpg
    arcadearchivesathenavpcu1.jpg
    blueridercbfia.jpg
  • Lazy Galaxy: Rebel Story - Absodev - $7.99/€6.99 - 152 MB
  • Mind: Path to Thalamus - Carlos Coronado - $11.99 - 2.1 GB *12/27 on EU*
  • Knights of Pen & Paper 2: Deluxiest Edition - Plug in Digital - $12.99/€12.99 - 430 MB
  • Hunter's Legacy: Purrfect Edition - Lienzo - $6.99/€6.99 - 374 MB
  • Almightree: The Last Dreamer - West Coast - $19.99/€22.19 - 229 MB
    lazygalaxyrebelstory9cd8s.jpg
    mindpathtothalamustmi5j.jpg
    knightsofpenpaper2delzzedt.jpg
    hunterslegacypurrfectu2dr6.jpg
    almightreethelastdrea63dys.jpg
  • Solar Flux - Firebrand Games - $9.99/€8.69 - 256 MB
  • Trybit Logic - Himacs - $6.99 - 115 MB *NA*
  • Mahjong Solitaire Refresh - Sunsoft - $16.99 - 226 MB *NA*
  • Party Arcade - Farsight Studios - $19.99 - 999 MB *NA*
    solarfluxboiag.jpg
    trybitlogictlia0.jpg
    mahjongsolitairerefrekbfpe.jpg
    partyarcadeajfdt.jpg

- Japan
  • Daedalus: The Awakening of Golden Jazz - Arc System Works - ¥6,990
  • Symphonic Rain - Kogado Studio - ¥2,480
  • Neko Navy: Daydream Edition - Fruitbat Factory - ¥1,280
  • Peach Ball: Senran Kagura - Marvelous - ¥5,378
  • Asonde Igo ga Tsuyokunaru! Ginsei Igo DX - Silverstar Japan - ¥4,644
    daedalustheawakeningokzdec.jpg
    symphonicrain2ccy7.jpg
    nekonavydaydreameditiw2esg.jpg
    peachballsenrankagurad9c84.jpg
    asondeigogatsuyokunarpzizw.jpg
  • Heavenly Guardian - Starfish - ¥1,500
  • Fight of Gods - Cosen - ¥1,500
  • Sudoku 10000 - Success - ¥700
    yukinkodaisenpuuybc9n.jpg
    fightofgodsztdpi.jpg
    sudoku10000tnfpl.jpg

- Late regional releases
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures - Nvizzio Creations - $49.99 - 2.0 GB *NA*
  • Oxyjet - Upstairs Digital - $14.99 - 370 MB *NA*
  • Big Bash Boom - Big Ant Studios - $29.99 - 6.2 GB *NA*
  • Peach Death! Complete Edition - Hypetrain Digital - $4.99 - 67 MB *NA*
  • Race Arcade - Iceflake Studios - $9.99 - 449 MB *NA*
  • Shoot Out - Arcade - Data East/FTE Games - €7.99 - 67 MB *EU*

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
How's 20xx play? How's it stack up against other side-scrolling shooters of that style of play?

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
With the arcade version of Athena being in the SNK Classics collection is there any reason to get this standalone Hamster version?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How's 20xx play? How's it stack up against other side-scrolling shooters of that style of play?
It's a Mega Man X inspired roguelite. It plays really great, feels like a genuine MMX game, though with more focus in platforming.

There's nothing quite like it out there as far as I know either, since rather than just being a regular platformer, it seeks to deliver an MMX-like experience.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I assume you played it on Switch? How's performance?

Also I read on the wiki that the game still has separate roguelite modes in addition of the campaign, but I'm not sure if this is outdated info as I haven't seen mentioned in any of the reviews. Can you confirm / deny?

Yes Switch version. There is only campaign for now. I have no idea if you can unlock something later. Performance has been fine. It doesn't seem to be 60fps or anything near but it works fine. Haven't seen any drops but with New lands the drops were at the later islands and I'm not that far yet. But I have to mention that for some reason the first loading time is pretty long everytime you start the game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes Switch version. There is only campaign for now. I have no idea if you can unlock something later. Performance has been fine. It doesn't seem to be 60fps or anything near but it works fine. Haven't seen any drops but with New lands the drops were at the later islands and I'm not that far yet. But I have to mention that for some reason the first loading time is pretty long everytime you start the game.

OK, thanks! I wonder if you have to unlock them or what. I've found at least two different quotes from the devs assuring they're in:
https://twitter.com/GordonVanDyke/status/987241511908765696
https://rawfury.com/time-update-kingdom-two-crowns/
Would be neat to know as it would mean this version would be strictly superior and make the other two games pretty much obsolete.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Damn, I realized that the 'Heavenly Guardian' released in the Japanese eShop, it's a port of one of the most obscure shmups from the PS2 and Wii era.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not sure if the Switch version has problems of its own, but in general this collection had relatively poor emulation, with sound and framerate issues in places on top of choppy multi-player; pretty much a typical Sega retro collection. It's why some avoid it and stick to AGES releases instead, those are individual but also handled by the best people in the business, M2.

Also we should probably let go of Sonic 3&K by now, for our own sanity's sake :(

That's... highly disappointing. I'll hold on for reports of quality before getting it, then. :/ Thanks for the warning!

Universal consensus seems to be Two Crowns is better simply because the rogue elements were an ill fit. Also, as mentioned above, the rogue modes are supposedly part of Two Crowns as well, or at least were intended to, as late as April this year. Two Crowns seems to have a ton of stuff over the previous games beyond the campaign, including co-op (YES) and gryffin / dragon mounts (double yes!).

I2. Knights of Pen and Paper - are these games decent for the price? I know they began life as mobile games, but is there enough quality content here to justify the buy on Switch? I love D&D, but just because the game is a reference to D&D gaming doesnt mean Im going to want to drop the coin on this, it would need to have some pretty solid content overall in terms of gameplay.

You know what, I've had them sitting on my Steam account for ages. This is as good an excuse as any to install the second one and give it a try; I'll report back.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the good word on Phantasy Star? Do the QoL improvements help?

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Why do I recognize that name? Is he controversial somehow?

I cited his name for the opposite reason, he is very well regarded in the Nintendo community.

And he did a good work while he was at Nintendo, promoting indie developers.

Part of the success of companies such as The Tomorrow Corporation, was thanks to a personal bet of Dan Adelman back in the early days of WiiWare.

But yeah, he was involved in a polemic in 2017, with some unfortunate tweets complaining of being ignored by the current Nintendo employees, while he was trying to get a development kit to port 'Axiom Verge' to Switch.

And I will say that he was wrong, specially seeing that 'Axiom Verge' resulted in a plain port which wasn't even able to include HD rumble.

Nintendo did a good work, prioritizing in the first months developers releasing exclusive content, enhanced ports or rewarding developers like The Tomorrow Corporation, who have stayed exclusive to Nintendo consoles through the years.

While 'Axiom Verge', started as a Sony temporal exclusivity, and it was even ported to Vita.

An indie developer can see an insane amount of money releasing a game in the first months of a new system. But this money is thanks to the console manufacturer investing an insane amount of money in marketing for these first months.

So I see reasonable that a console manufacturer can demand to a developer some type of exclusivity as a compensation for this free push in marketing, and we're talking of a push of millions of dollars.

Oct 27, 2017

Damn grifters.
Money well spent! The entire Streets of Rage series AND Golden Axe 1,2, and 3? Worth the money themselves!