• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
2. Knights of Pen and Paper - are these games decent for the price? I know they began life as mobile games, but is there enough quality content here to justify the buy on Switch? I love D&D, but just because the game is a reference to D&D gaming doesnt mean Im going to want to drop the coin on this, it would need to have some pretty solid content overall in terms of gameplay.
Thanks!

Update on this. I played it for a bit, and while it seems solid visually and mechanically, it doesn't seem too varied from what I've played. You pretty much fight enemies and do quests that mostly involve fighting enemies. The game attempts to be humorous but whether it lands it or not is, I suspect, highly personal. I think you'd be best served watching a video or two to see what I mean with all of the above.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
How's Capcom Beat'em Up Collection's emulation (I hope not another Sega Genesis Collection)?
What's wrong with the genesis emulation? So far I don't encounter much wrong with it, I just don't like the scan lines in handheld mode.

By the way, Phantasy Star 4 starts out awesome and goes so straight to the point, I really like it. It's actually distracting me from playing Smash Bros even though I'm also liking it quite a bit. Think I'll finish PS4 first and then get PS1.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've already played pretty much everything on the Genesis collection so I'm mainly interested in it for Phantasy Star 2-4. Is there a way to turn off the flashing lights in battle in Phantasy Star 2? That bothered me a lot last time I tried to play it.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
So what's the deal with Roller Coaster Tycoon. Like everyone else on the planet I love 1&2 and couldn't get into 3, but I've never even heard of this.

Quoting this. Has anyone picked it up? I'm a theme park management major so this really sounds interesting to me. I only have a Switch and PS4 so my options are super limited.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to ignore reviews on Desert Child yesterday and I'm kinda regretting it. It certainly isn't a bad game, but it feels pretty half-baked... Races aren't nearly as substantial as you'd expect, being the main focus of the game and all; they're pretty short and extremely samey save for the background environments, and the game world is kinda confusing to navigate because different screens change the perspective very often and I'm constantly going back to the previous one by accident, very disorienting.

Game doesn't communicate much to you either regarding your goals and all (you can figure them out on your own after a bit, but still) and menus feel like they're lacking some visual feedback... It's hard to explain.

Overall it feels like a stripped down demo of a cool, stylish game, lacking quite a bit of polish. Not very happy with my purchase, to be honest.

Oh and Rain World looks nice, maybe I'll bite on that, not sure what it's about exactly tho.

Yeah the game is sub native resolution and looks blurry in handheld mode, very jarring. And nope, hasn't been fixed.
I had such high hopes for Desert Child. I was really looking forward to buying it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The only thing that makes me sad is that I live in a small city, so it's really hard to find people interested in indie games in my area. But to enjoy this with local co-op should be an unforgettable experience. Giving that you need to defend the right and the left part of the isle, it's a very clever take to have each player defending a zone.

Good news everyone!
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/kingdom_two_crowns
Online co-op is scheduled to arrive early next year,

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
SEGA Genesis Collection seems like a very impressive package. Which games, other than Phantasy Star and Shining Force, actually aged well and are not there just for nostalgia?

Also curious to know if there's an option to always boot in the game you want or do you always need to go through the list?

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Wait, Rain World is on Switch now? Why is the launch trailer apearing in my Youtube recommended feed the first I'm hearing of it? This is wonderful news.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I'm surprised there's no more talk going for FORGOTTON ANNE. Visually amazing and a mix between a PoC adventure, a heavy-puzzle based platformer and Ghost Trick-ish gameplay. There's a good demo on the eShop, try it! If only to see the amazing visuals and soundtrack!

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
It was a total shadowdrop.
They actually slowly revealed it over the last 3 months or so, building up this image:

qZiSjQb.jpg

In tiles on twitter:

Cheeky!

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone check the JP eShop to see if the Zoids Wild demo is up? Supposedly it might be a code in the new issue Coro Coro. Anyone able to get a code and record 60fps footage of it? Thanks! :)

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised there's no more talk going for FORGOTTON ANNE. Visually amazing and a mix between a PoC adventure, a heavy-puzzle based platformer and Ghost Trick-ish gameplay. There's a good demo on the eShop, try it! If only to see the amazing visuals and soundtrack!
Visually fantastic. Utterly boring gameplay in the end. I'm still happy I bought it but I don't think I like the game in hindsight. 😂

Now, another outstanding game is GRIS, everyone who enjoys games in the same vein as INSIDE, ABZU, Journey and the like owe it to themselves to give this game a shot. Loved it. Now buying the soundtrack.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Not sure if its been posted around here, but If anyone uses the swych app, today you can get a 50$ eshop code for 40$ using the code "merry" just to let yall know.
I used the app to get some digital currency during black friday, its legit.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Visually fantastic. Utterly boring gameplay in the end. I'm still happy I bought it but I don't think I like the game in hindsight. 😂

Now, another outstanding game is GRIS, everyone who enjoys games in the same vein as INSIDE, ABZU, Journey and the like owe it to themselves to give this game a shot. Loved it. Now buying the soundtrack.

I only played the demo, it seemed enjoyable but I dunno if it can carry a whole game ofc.
Did you play/like Ghost Trick?

Bought Gris but I haven't started it yet!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sold on Rain World. Critical consensus was mixed (and that's putting it kindly), but Steam reviews are incredibly positive and apparently updates have made the game more approachable to newcomers.

Now I'm just curious about Switch performance. Anyone played this version and can comment on how well in runs on the system?

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can anyone recommend more games like Gris or J.J The Missing, Journey?

I'm severely depressed and these games are really helping me through times right now...

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just wanted to pop in and confirm that Rain World is a wonderful game that deserves your attention. Don't go in expecting a traditional metroidvania, though. The game's progression is very much predicated on learning the limits of your moveset and environment. There are, I think, only two permanent character upgrades in the game? And neither changes how you actually get around. Everything about traversing the environment is given to you from the start.
Don't eat her flies.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I only played the demo, it seemed enjoyable but I dunno if it can carry a whole game ofc.
Did you play/like Ghost Trick?

Bought Gris but I haven't started it yet!
Didn't play past chapter 1 of Ghost Trick back when it initially came out on iOS. Didn't draw that comparison to Anne myself.

I'm severely depressed and these games are really helping me through times right now...
Nothing like the above but Katamari Damacy is just sheer quirky weird fun. Have you tried that? Demo available.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone, do yourselves a favor and play Katamari. Favorite eShop game this year along with Hollow Knight.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Anybody here knows Phantasy Star IV well?
I just got to Tonoe but all the enemies in the basement are kicking my ass in part because the best guy in my party, Rune, was replaced by Gryz who doesn't seem as good.

Did I get this dungeon too soon? Am I supposed to be losing Rune? Should I grind to level up more to be able to pass through this dungeon? Currently I'm level 8, 5 and 5 (Rune was 17)

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Caved in to the hype and got smash. I also bought cat quest and ambition of a slime.

I think I am done buying switch games for a while now. I have a dozen games in my backlog.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Bought Zen Bound 2 from sale. It really works well. 60fps and great motion controls. Good graphics and relaxing music. Haven't seen any mention of the game anywhere but it has one of the most impressive motion controls on Switch.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Furi was on sale in EU eshop and for 10 euros, I didn't take much risk. I just beat the 3rd boss and so far, I'm very happy with my purchase. The game is challenging but fair, and the mix of boss rush/shot em up/puzzle game accompanied by the music from synthwave artists like Carpenter Brut works really well. Good stuff.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Mages of Mystralia

Anyone heard about this game?

Not sure if anyone got back to you, but I just wanted to say that this game is fantastic. It's like a top-down Zelda but with magic spells as your weapons. You can mix new spells together to make some cool new (possibly way too OP) spells. It's gorgeous and also has excellent music. Highly recommended to anyone who likes top-down Zeldas.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017

Hmmm, I'd suggest Gone Home and Firewatch!

Gone Home certainly shots the tone you're looking for, especially in regards to The Missing. Plus Nintendo of America gave the developers special permission for something that adds some extra authenticity to the Switch version!

Firewatch tells a fantastic story as well, and while the ending had its share of backlash, I thought it was very special and unique.

Hopefully you don't think these are bad suggestions, they're just what came to mind, as I really enjoy the games you listed as well.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm sold on Rain World. Critical consensus was mixed (and that's putting it kindly), but Steam reviews are incredibly positive and apparently updates have made the game more approachable to newcomers.

Now I'm just curious about Switch performance. Anyone played this version and can comment on how well in runs on the system?
The thing about Rain World is that the mixed reception is not due to any questionable quality (the game is stellar), but just the fact that the game is too much for most people. It will demand a lot from you. As for performance, I am personally not sensitive to frame rate stuff so to me it looks just fine but I heard it runs at 30fps on Switch in both handheld and docked modes.
Shantae games worth it?
Shantae (and all WayForward games) are the epitome of mediocre, IMO. They're competent, pretty, and soul-less. If you want a disposable 5-8 hour adventure, they get the job done.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

Abzü is by the co-creator of Journey and it's quite "similar" and beloved.
I think Valiant Hearts and Inside could be interesting for you, for different reasons.

If you want something on a similar vibe but more uplifting, Wandersong is just pure joyful brilliance