• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Can anyone recommend more games like Gris or J.J The Missing, Journey?

I'm severely depressed and these games are really helping me through times right now...
I'm surprised no one has recommend Shape of the World. I'm pretty confident you would like it. Unfortunately the performance on Switch isn't the best but if Switch is your only option it's still worth playing. Also ABZU is the most obvious recommendation but if you've played Journey you've probably already played it.

Also I'll second the recommendation for Katamari Damacy. It's not similar to what you listed but it is one of the most joyful and wonderful games ever.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Rain World is that the mixed reception is not due to any questionable quality (the game is stellar), but just the fact that the game is too much for most people. It will demand a lot from you. As for performance, I am personally not sensitive to frame rate stuff so to me it looks just fine but I heard it runs at 30fps on Switch in both handheld and docked modes.

Thanks! Definitely going to purchase it soon.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Shantae (and all WayForward games) are the epitome of mediocre, IMO. They're competent, pretty, and soul-less.

Maybe you meant average (in a pejorative way of course, I get that)? Something that is pretty and competent is hardly mediocre.

Either way, Contra 4 is fantastic and came at a time were 2D action run&guns seemed lost forever. Yeah it's hard as fuck especially if you want to experience the whole game but Contra: Alien Wars was the only easy game in the series, so C4 was actually in line with the franchise pre and post SNES.

And Mighty Switch Force is a little gem.

Alien Infestation was average, competent and pretty, and the love for the license meant in the end it was worth more than the sum of its parts to me, contrary to The Mummy.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully by the time I burn through Monster Boy, Celeste, Valiant Hearts and Freedom Planet then Omensight and GRIS will have gone on sale. Also planning on picking up Viviette when it comes out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wayforward excel at making serviceable games, nothing more nothing less, but in an incredibly crowded market that ends up being a disadvantage.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone got back to you, but I just wanted to say that this game is fantastic. It's like a top-down Zelda but with magic spells as your weapons. You can mix new spells together to make some cool new (possibly way too OP) spells. It's gorgeous and also has excellent music. Highly recommended to anyone who likes top-down Zeldas.

Sounds amazing. Thanks for the impressions!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Maybe you meant average (in a pejorative way of course, I get that)? Something that is pretty and competent is hardly mediocre.

Either way, Contra 4 is fantastic and came at a time were 2D action run&guns seemed lost forever. Yeah it's hard as fuck especially if you want to experience the whole game but Contra: Alien Wars was the only easy game in the series, so C4 was actually in line with the franchise pre and post SNES.

And Mighty Switch Force is a little gem.

Alien Infestation was average, competent and pretty, and the love for the license meant in the end it was worth more than the sum of its parts to me, contrary to The Mummy.
Eh, mediocre really just means middling or of average quality. I just think most people use it to mean below average which isn't quite right. But yeah, they make average games.

To be honest, I always forget WF made Contra 4 because that game is so much better than anything else they've made. <_< I really enjoyed Contra 4.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shantae Half Genie Hero is pretty bad, but it's nothing like the three games that came before, all of which are good, especially Risky's Revenge and the awesome Pirate's Curse.

I'm severely depressed and these games are really helping me through times right now...
Night in the Woods doesn't go for the same tone as any of these, but it's a pretty charming game about a troubled college dropout who's lost in life, trying to figure out how to fit in a small town that moved forward while she was away. It can be pretty funny but also feel quite real at times.

Still, whatever you may pick, hang in there man.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Abzü is by the co-creator of Journey and it's quite "similar" and beloved.
I think Valiant Hearts and Inside could be interesting for you, for different reasons.

If you want something on a similar vibe but more uplifting, Wandersong is just pure joyful brilliance
You are recommending Valiant heart to someone that is depressed?
Celeste would be a better choice.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm morbidly curious about Phantasy Star but I know I'm not going to like it.
It's funny you say that. I bought the Sega Genesis Classics collection and it only has Phantasy Star 2-4 and since I didn't want to have an incomplete collection of the Phantasy Star series on my Switch, I picked up the first Phantasy Star as well. I mean, why not? I'm a huge RPG nut and have played next to nothing Phantasy Star, so at worst I'll now have some knowledge about a series I knew nothing about.

So I booted it just to see how it was and then, unsurprisingly, I found myself really enjoying my time with it. Now I'm a few hours in and this is actually pulling me away from Smash, which I did not expect.

I've played and completed both Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 1 and I gotta say, this game, so far at least, is the best "freshman" title of the bunch. It's beautiful, ambitious and the story is actually pretty cool. Also, I gotta give a shout out to the music. As someone who next to knows nothing about the PS series, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the music. But then I walked into the first dungeon and was shocked at how damn catchy the first dungeon theme was. It's even in my head when I'm not playing the game.

Not sure how you'll feel about it if you do decide to play it, but I have to say, as someone who originally thought this game was only worth it for those who had nostalgia for it (I even posted in this thread saying as much), I couldn't have been more wrong. It's actually a really solid JRPG and I can't wait to play through this so I can get to the rest of the series.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Having a great time with V-Rally 4 here.

It's no Dirt/Richard Burns/etc but the basics of a fun rally game are there. (it also has a couple of other disciplines which I haven't touched yet)

The only other racing games I have on the Switch are the first Gear.Club Unlimited and MotoGP 18.
It's light-years ahead of Gear.Club Unlimited - especially when it comes to car control/feeling. (don't have GCU 2 so don't know how it compares to that)

Performance is good, cars control well (if a little twitchy), good camera options (cockpit,bonnet,etc), it has full replays and I'm really digging its' sound design/effects.
No analog triggers is also a non-issue. Once you "get" how much brake/gas you need to apply to throw the car into a corner, you'll be using the brake/gas buttons without even thinking about it.

Don't expect graphics to blow you away (and at moments it can look ugly due to dynamic res/aliasing), but if that's a big deal to you watch some videos to get some idea of what you are getting into.
I honestly don't mind them one bit and to be honest they have a certain charm. (oh and I got used to the shadow-drawing "issue" on some tracks/times-of-day pretty fast)

The only negative point I can think of, is the game's attempt to make you have an active role in building your team. You are supposed to hire mechanics, agents, etc something I honestly don't care about - I just want to race so I ignore this part as much as I can.

Anyways, just my two cents in case anyone wants to scratch that rally itch on the Switch.

I know that it didn't review too favorably on other platforms, but it has Forzas and Grand Tourismos to compete against there - I just know I'm having fun with it on Switch and that's all that matters.

Screens:
2018121523350200-4b11p7dbv.jpg
2018121523350500-4b1110ewz.jpg
2018121523440800-4b11aueif.jpg
2018121600041900-4b115tfdl.jpg
2018121600224400-4b11vril7.jpg
2018121600284700-4b11uze7h.jpg
2018121600304500-4b110xd4y.jpg
2018121602242300-4b11j6fst.jpg
2018121602243200-4b11z2d7b.jpg

Last edited:

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nothing like the above but Katamari Damacy is just sheer quirky weird fun. Have you tried that? Demo available.
Hmmm, I'd suggest Gone Home and Firewatch!

Gone Home certainly shots the tone you're looking for, especially in regards to The Missing. Plus Nintendo of America gave the developers special permission for something that adds some extra authenticity to the Switch version!

Firewatch tells a fantastic story as well, and while the ending had its share of backlash, I thought it was very special and unique.

Hopefully you don't think these are bad suggestions, they're just what came to mind, as I really enjoy the games you listed as well.
Abzü is by the co-creator of Journey and it's quite "similar" and beloved.
I think Valiant Hearts and Inside could be interesting for you, for different reasons.

If you want something on a similar vibe but more uplifting, Wandersong is just pure joyful brilliance
I'm surprised no one has recommend Shape of the World. I'm pretty confident you would like it. Unfortunately the performance on Switch isn't the best but if Switch is your only option it's still worth playing. Also ABZU is the most obvious recommendation but if you've played Journey you've probably already played it.

Also I'll second the recommendation for Katamari Damacy. It's not similar to what you listed but it is one of the most joyful and wonderful games ever.
Night in the Woods doesn't go for the same tone as any of these, but it's a pretty charming game about a troubled college dropout who's lost in life, trying to figure out how to fit in a small town that moved forward while she was away. It can be pretty funny but also feel quite real at times.

Still, whatever you may pick, hang in there man.

Celeste helped me deal with feelings that had been buried for so long that I forgot they existed anymore. Such an inspiring experience.

Thanks everyone, much love.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Hey dude, have you played Flipping Death? It's the most lighthearted dark comedy, and very, very funny. One of the best stories of the year.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

It's no Dirt/Richard Burns/etc but the basics of a fun rally game are there. (it also has a couple of other disciplines which I haven't touched yet)

The only other racing games I have on the Switch are the first Gear.Club Unlimited and MotoGP 18.
It's light-years ahead of Gear.Club Unlimited - especially when it comes to car control/feeling. (don't have GCU 2 so don't know how it compares to that)

Performance is good, cars control well (if a little twitchy), good camera options (cockpit,bonnet,etc), it has full replays and I'm really digging its' sound design/effects.
No analog triggers is also a non-issue. Once you "get" how much brake/gas you need to apply to throw the car into a corner, you'll be using the brake/gas buttons without even thinking about it.

Don't expect graphics to blow you away (and at moments it can look ugly due to dynamic res/aliasing), but if that's a big deal to you watch some videos to get some idea of what you are getting into.
I honestly don't mind them one bit and to be honest they have a certain charm. (oh and I got used to the shadow-drawing "issue" on some tracks/times-of-day pretty fast)

The only negative point I can think of, is the game's attempt to make you have an active role in building your team. You are supposed to hire mechanics, agents, etc something I honestly don't care about - I just want to race so I ignore this part as much as I can.

Anyways, just my two cents in case anyone wants to scratch that rally itch on the Switch.

I know that it didn't review too favorably on other platforms, but it has Forzas and Grand Tourismos to compete against there - I just know I'm having fun with it on Switch and that's all that matters.

Screens:

Thanks for the post mate.
Rally game on-the-go sounds awesome, I just wish there was a demo because I'm not dropping €50 blind. How's performance in handheld mode? Is there a good video review for the Switch version out there?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Steamworld Heist and wow, what a great game with a ton of content. I haven't played the original Steamworld Dig but IMO Steamworld Heist > Steamworld Dig 2.

I'm going to give Toki Tori 2 another shot, I tried it and dropped it really quickly last time. I think I'll give it an hour or two and see if I can settle in, I always hear how amazing of a game it is.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Steamworld Heist is such a fantastic game. I'm not even a fan of the genre usually but I managed to put 24 in game hours into that game. Loved it. I really should get round to playing Dig 2, I grabbed it back when it was on sale but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Aside from slowing playing Smash Bros I've been finishing off Horizon Chase Turbo. An excellent, if frustrating racing game in the last few levels (honestly, best comparison I have is Ridge Racer PSP/6 in terms of how difficulty ramps up). Onto the final country now, hoping to have the game complete this week.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Thanks for the post mate.
Rally game on-the-go sounds awesome, I just wish there was a demo because I'm not dropping €50 blind. How's performance in handheld mode? Is there a good video review for the Switch version out there?

Performance is great in handheld mode - certainly didn't notice anything major. (and I feel it looks better in handheld because of the smaller screen)

Keep in mind that I'm only playing rally races for now (because I find them the most interesting) so I don't know how it performs when you are racing against other cars. (review below mentions some slowdown in these modes)

If your are into account/region switching and all that, you can get it for €40 from the South African eShop.

It's a matter of personal preference, but trying to best/perfect my previous time(s) is certainly something worth 40 euros in my book. (no time rewind - you take the wrong turn and it's a restart)

I feel I already got my money's worth tbh and I only have it for a couple of days.

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gko4zix0FEw

Last edited:

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018

Screens:

Thanks for your insights. That was a good read.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's funny you say that. I bought the Sega Genesis Classics collection and it only has Phantasy Star 2-4 and since I didn't want to have an incomplete collection of the Phantasy Star series on my Switch, I picked up the first Phantasy Star as well. I mean, why not? I'm a huge RPG nut and have played next to nothing Phantasy Star, so at worst I'll now have some knowledge about a series I knew nothing about.

So I booted it just to see how it was and then, unsurprisingly, I found myself really enjoying my time with it. Now I'm a few hours in and this is actually pulling me away from Smash, which I did not expect.

I've played and completed both Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 1 and I gotta say, this game, so far at least, is the best "freshman" title of the bunch. It's beautiful, ambitious and the story is actually pretty cool. Also, I gotta give a shout out to the music. As someone who next to knows nothing about the PS series, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the music. But then I walked into the first dungeon and was shocked at how damn catchy the first dungeon theme was. It's even in my head when I'm not playing the game.

Not sure how you'll feel about it if you do decide to play it, but I have to say, as someone who originally thought this game was only worth it for those who had nostalgia for it (I even posted in this thread saying as much), I couldn't have been more wrong. It's actually a really solid JRPG and I can't wait to play through this so I can get to the rest of the series.

You are in for a real treat with Phantasy Star 4. That game is a masterpiece.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
You are in for a real treat with Phantasy Star 4. That game is a masterpiece.
I may be a heathen, but I kind of like the mess that is PS 3 more. Maybe because it was my first, and I didn't really care if it made any sense. 4 is a much much better game, but gosh I wish they had moved to Saturn or CD and gave it some more enhancements that games of that era had.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
That shadow pop-in is unacceptable, it makes me angry looking at it and I don't even have the game

Shadow pop-in was certainly something that stood-out when watching at videos before getting the game, but the thing is: once you start playing, you don't really notice it (or maybe you get used to it/learn to ignore it after a while).
Additionally, it is more/less pronounced depending on the track/time of day combination so there's that.

Certainly hope they can improve/minimize it with a patch or something, but it's not a deal breaker in any way for me.

Anyways, don't want to sound like I'm advertising the game.
Just wanted to give some feedback for folks that are into rally games and don't have any -better- alternatives on the Switch.

Last edited:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Shadow pop-in was certainly something that stood-out when watching at videos before getting the game, but the thing is: once you start playing, you don't really notice it (or maybe you get used to it/learn to ignore it after a while).

Certainly hope they can improve it with a patch or something, but it's not a deal breaker in any way for me.

Anyways, don't want to sound like I'm advertising the game.
Just wanted to give some feedback for folks that are into rally games and don't have any -better- alternatives on the Switch.
I just don't understand why they had to cut so many corners in a racing game. PS3 and X360 had much better looking racers than this, the switch could do much better for sure.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Quick question eshoppers, Starlink is going for under £20 for the physical set with the Arwing in the bomba bin now and I'm sorely tempted. Did anyone buy it digitally, and did you feel it needed much in the way of extra purchases to get something out of it? I'd quite like to play it through but find paid-for games begging for money just irritating.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Quick question eshoppers, Starlink is going for under £20 for the physical set with the Arwing in the bomba bin now and I'm sorely tempted. Did anyone buy it digitally, and did you feel it needed much in the way of extra purchases to get something out of it? I'd quite like to play it through but find paid-for games begging for money just irritating.

Whereabouts? I'll buy it for under £20!!

Did/does anybody use the YouTube app on Switch? We had a huge bunch of people crying out for it, I wonder if they use it, now it's here. I don't. Only tested one video on it but I'd rather just watch YouTube on my Apple devices.

EDIT: Found Starlink starter pack for £19.99 on Amazon. Ordering now.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Whereabouts? I'll buy it for under £20!!

Did/does anybody use the YouTube app on Switch? We had a huge bunch of people crying out for it, I wonder if they use it, now it's here. I don't. Only tested one video on it but I'd rather just watch YouTube on my Apple devices.
I see sometimes people in my friendlist using them. I don't use it much since you cannot use it while running a game but still I'm happy that it's there. A Netflix app I would use much more though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded Horizon Chase Turbo after watching Nintendo Life and SwitchUP reviews. Used up all my gold coins again.

I'm not huge into racing games, but loved Top Gear during the SNES era. This game is perfect, visually stunning too and controls like a charm.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Rally want to grab Rain World but it seems like 30 fps in this game would hinder the experience. I've got it on PC but would love it in portable form.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Puyo Puyo & Puyo Puyo Tsu coming to Sega Ages, both are based on the arcade versions & will support online.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Screens:

Thanks for the mini review!

Are those screenshots from the Switch?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded Horizon Chase Turbo after watching Nintendo Life and SwitchUP reviews. Used up all my gold coins again.

I'm not huge into racing games, but loved Top Gear during the SNES era. This game is perfect, visually stunning too and controls like a charm.

Well worth the purchase. I just 100%ed world tour mode. It gets tough later on, especially when it comes to the combo of overtaking, getting all the coins, and sharp turns so watch out! I do love the visual identities of each course, Japan, China and Iceland especially look beautiful.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Questions.

Anything like Advance Wars? I need a fix big time.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is interesting me, it's on sale, but I don't even know what Puyo Puyo is or how to play it, is it worth it just for Tetris? What's the point in the full game compared to the demo, at the end of the day, you can just Tetris on the demo!

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Questions.

Anything like Advance Wars? I need a fix big time.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is interesting me, it's on sale, but I don't even know what Puyo Puyo is or how to play it, is it worth it just for Tetris? What's the point in the full game compared to the demo, at the end of the day, you can just Tetris on the demo!

Right now? Not really. WarGroove coming next year should scratch that itch.

Puyo Puyo Tetris has a ridiculous story mode and a lot more modes and things to do. Worth the price.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Well worth the purchase. I just 100%ed world tour mode. It gets tough later on, especially when it comes to the combo of overtaking, getting all the coins, and sharp turns so watch out! I do love the visual identities of each course, Japan, China and Iceland especially look beautiful.

Yep. I remember with Top Gear I would just get into a zone and just drive like a zen master. Getting the same feeling here.

I like how the upgrades upgrade all your cars, so you're not forced to micromanage everything. The collectibles and online leaderboards adds loads back into the game in terms of besting your own score and getting everything. So glad I picked this up.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Screens:

Are these portable mode?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up Monster Boy today.

Excellent choice! I'm playing it right now, and it's amazing so far. What's surprised me the most is the quality of the game design (I already knew about the high quality art and music). The mix of puzzles, platforming, enemies, exploration, power ups, etc constantly feels so fun! Top notch Switch port so far as well (very interesting use of HD rumble, IMO).

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh

Screens:

Man, this game looks impressive!!! Thanks so much for the detailed writeup and photos!

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Top notch Switch port so far as well (very interesting use of HD rumble, IMO).

Yes, the rumble is really good. Love it when devsimplement it like this and I'm always disappointed when ports don't have any.

Do you play with separate Joycon as well? I feel that's the best way to experience the rumble.

And Monster Boy is a truly great game and probably one of my top 5 games. I'm in the final area now and the quality, variety and ingenuity is amazing.