• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
Steamworld Heist is such a fantastic game. I'm not even a fan of the genre usually but I managed to put 24 in game hours into that game. Loved it. I really should get round to playing Dig 2, I grabbed it back when it was on sale but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Aside from slowing playing Smash Bros I've been finishing off Horizon Chase Turbo. An excellent, if frustrating racing game in the last few levels (honestly, best comparison I have is Ridge Racer PSP/6 in terms of how difficulty ramps up). Onto the final country now, hoping to have the game complete this week.

Heist is turn based yes? That just turns me off for some reason, I never could get into turn based games. Dig is awesome, one of my favorite games of the past year along with Dead Cells.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the rumble is really good. Love it when devsimplement it like this and I'm always disappointed when ports don't have any.

Do you play with separate Joycon as well? I feel that's the best way to experience the rumble.

And Monster Boy is a truly great game and probably one of my top 5 games. I'm in the final area now and the quality, variety and ingenuity is amazing.

Top five eShop or just ever? Super high praise either way. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Questions.

Anything like Advance Wars? I need a fix big time.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is interesting me, it's on sale, but I don't even know what Puyo Puyo is or how to play it, is it worth it just for Tetris? What's the point in the full game compared to the demo, at the end of the day, you can just Tetris on the demo!

Into the Breach will get you the closest to Advance Wars. I find ItB to be much more methodical in placement of your players which makes the bar much higher.

Ritoo

Jun 5, 2018
This game looks beautiful...

And this one...

I don't know what to pick,please stop switch you killing my wallet : )

Last edited:

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Yes, the rumble is really good. Love it when devsimplement it like this and I'm always disappointed when ports don't have any.

Do you play with separate Joycon as well? I feel that's the best way to experience the rumble.

And Monster Boy is a truly great game and probably one of my top 5 games. I'm in the final area now and the quality, variety and ingenuity is amazing.

Yeah, I've tried this a couple of times now, and it hasn't clicked much at all. I'm not quite understanding the universal praise it's gotten, outside the visuals. The controls feels a bit clunky for me, frankly.

What's elevated it for you so highly?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Guagamelee 2 is more of the same, but the same is "one of the best action platformers of the last few years" so I'm okay with it lol

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Oof, just had Rain World crash on me. Particularly frustrating since I had just gotten clear of an especially intense encounter lol. There have also been some light performance issues too, not like the framerate drops for any period of time, but there's sometimes a brief stutter a second or two after entering a room, it feels like it might be loading-related if I were to guess.

Outside of those issues, I'm loving the game. I'm in the second area now although I feel like I just stumbled upon the end (?) of the first and I missed a ton of stuff. No clue if I'll need to go back at any point but it doesn't seem like it would be very easy to do. It's an incredibly scary game, I love how quickly things change when an enemy shows up or the music kicks in. And I can tell I've already learned a lot even though there are a lot of mechanics I don't quite grasp. Incredible atmosphere and seriously one of the best looking 2D games I've played in awhile. I'm just hoping I don't run into any more crashes, the game part of the game is punishing enough, ha

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple of hours of Rain World last night and I'm really digging it. It's hard to get used to, but discovering every mechanic and learning how everything works is very rewarding.

30FPS looks a bit weird but is still responsive. Wish text was bigger tho.
Oof, just had Rain World crash on me. Particularly frustrating since I had just gotten clear of an especially intense encounter lol. There have also been some light performance issues too, not like the framerate drops for any period of time, but there's sometimes a brief stutter a second or two after entering a room, it feels like it might be loading-related if I were to guess.

Outside of those issues, I'm loving the game. I'm in the second area now although I feel like I just stumbled upon the end (?) of the first and I missed a ton of stuff. No clue if I'll need to go back at any point but it doesn't seem like it would be very easy to do. It's an incredibly scary game, I love how quickly things change when an enemy shows up or the music kicks in. And I can tell I've already learned a lot even though there are a lot of mechanics I don't quite grasp. Incredible atmosphere and seriously one of the best looking 2D games I've played in awhile. I'm just hoping I don't run into any more crashes, the game part of the game is punishing enough, ha
The thing about Rain World is that the mixed reception is not due to any questionable quality (the game is stellar), but just the fact that the game is too much for most people. It will demand a lot from you. As for performance, I am personally not sensitive to frame rate stuff so to me it looks just fine but I heard it runs at 30fps on Switch in both handheld and docked modes.
Made a thread for Rain World on Switch if you wanted to post impressions there
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ra...ng-an-alien-ecosystem-is-out-on-switch.87547/

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've tried this a couple of times now, and it hasn't clicked much at all. I'm not quite understanding the universal praise it's gotten, outside the visuals. The controls feels a bit clunky for me, frankly.

Let me guess: you are at the beginning of the area where you are a pig? The whole point there is that it should feel clunky. :-)

I have not yet decided if the hit boxes are good or bad, but actually they work very well when I now understand how they work. They hit boxes are not pixel perfect like in Towerfall or Celeste, they are more similar to Hollow Knight's hit boxes.

The reason why I earlier wrote that that the HD Rumble is "interesting", is because you don't "feel" the enemy hits like in many other Switch games. The HD rumble is used to feel other things (like the environment or when you're close to lose all your hearts).

IMO, the excellent game design and fun/varied gameplay. Each frame is (seemingly) designed with a purpose and balanced against the surrounding screens. Each time you discover new hidden skills, you get more ways to solve/approach each screen. The game become increasingly fun/varied/easy, the more you find.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
All of the WayForward dissing in here, it's really bizarre and unexpected coming from you guys. I've put close to 100 hours across all of the Shantae games and couldn't disagree more with the mediocrity comments. For the most part they're very well-designed Metroidvanias with great music and art direction, and what helps them stand out from their peers is its colorful cast of "Saturday morning cartoon" characters, lighthearted dialogue, and storylines that don't take themselves too seriously.

Critic scores aren't the definitive gauge of measuring a game's appeal, of course, but I'm not alone in my love of the series:

• Shantae
(GameRankings: 77.88% [Game Boy Color])
• Shantae: Risky's Revenge
(Metacritic: 85 [DSiWare])
• Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
(Metacritic: 86 [Switch])
• Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Ultimate Edition
(Metacritic: 84 [Switch])

I've got some more coins and am eyeing either the Mercenaries Chronicles collection (or stand alone sequel) or the Fairune Collection... Has anyone got any suggestions of one over the other?

Fairune Collection is excellent, especially for $7 (first time it's been on sale since May). I never see it brought up in these monthly threads so I commend you just for simply mentioning it. Think minimalistic top-down Zelda distilled to the fundamentals with "Ys" bump combat, with lovely music and crisp, clean pixel art. Package includes the two main games, a mini concept game, and a very short but fun shmup. More people need to play this.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I'm really looking forward to Skipmore's upcoming projects, Picontier and Transiruby.

I don't usually recommend Phantasy Star to new players because 1) there are lots of battles, 2) dungeons are kind of insane without maps and 3) there is a lot of grinding. Well, this release fixes all of these, so this is the perfect time to jump in. Hope you like it and feel free to ask if you have any questions!

So I've put in a few hours so far, and I gotta say I have some mad respect for you guys who didn't have access to an auto-map back in the day and resorted to graph paper and pencil. The cave south of Scion on Palma surprised me with how big it was this early in the game, so I can only imagine how complex these mazes will be later on.

I'm also playing with the FM sound on, which I prefer much more than the alternative. It's almost Genesis-esque, in a way.

I have done a doc with the list of retro games on Switch until today. Probably I missed something, if you see it, say me and I'll try to fix it.
I count retro games as games until PS2, PSP, DS, Wii and PC (>=10 years old)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nkboda1RKVF-Y431vQSUl9MXSUBVjphuyBK8n6RaKFE

Nice work, tolkir! *bookmarked*

You should totally link to this in future eShop threads.

Puyo Puyo & Puyo Puyo Tsu coming to Sega Ages, both are based on the arcade versions & will support online.

Now these are interesting picks!

If I was SEGA I'd bundle them together for $8 for Western release since Puyo's popularity over here pales massively in comparison to Japan, and I can't see these selling well individually in the West. But I'll certainly do my part and buy them both, as with all of the SEGA AGES lineup. :)

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Top five eShop or just ever? Super high praise either way. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Oh, forgot to add a modifier. Top 5 this year across all platforms.

It feels really responsive to me.

I just love the level design and the way in which all the different forms are used. It has platforming challenges, combat rooms and lots of little puzzles and unique scenarios and it keeps switching things up, never getting stale across its long runtime. Some people might call it a Metroidvania, but backtracking is pretty limited besides hunting for items and many areas are basically like dungeons. And I love dungeons.

The game became really great once I acquired the frog form. The further you get, the more the game demands switching on the fly between forms to adapt to all the situations. The volcano region is simply amazing to play through with all its challenges (the music elevates it even further).

I also enjoyed some of the humour like the over-the-top rolling boulder section, the idle animations and references to other franchises.

In general, it's a game with a nice challenge, great level design and amazing sound and visuals. It's just a full package.

By the way, there's an option to turn off the pause/radial menu for switching between forms and spells. I prefer playing the game that way.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
T
Heist is turn based yes? That just turns me off for some reason, I never could get into turn based games. Dig is awesome, one of my favorite games of the past year along with Dead Cells.
Yeah, turn based. But it works out incredibly well. I'm not a fan of turn based either but the game is just the right mix of skill and action (you still have full control over your character and actions) that I couldn't help but love the game. If in doubt wait for a sale (I see the games go on sale a few times a year).

Anyway, checking the release list this week, and I see that Onimusha is out in Japan in a few days time. English support as well. I'll be grabbing the physical release for my Capcom collection, cannot wait to replay the game, I loved the series back in the day (especially 2 and 3). Hopefully those aren't too far behind along with a brand new sequel.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It's Firewatch day, I'm really happy to be finally able to play this game ! I'm patiently waiting for it to be avalaible although I won't be playing it until tonight.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
All of the WayForward dissing in here, it's really bizarre and unexpected coming from you guys. I've put close to 100 hours across all of the Shantae games and couldn't disagree more with the mediocrity comments. For the most part they're very well-designed Metroidvanias with great music and art direction, and what helps them stand out from their peers is its colorful cast of "Saturday morning cartoon" characters, lighthearted dialogue, and storylines that don't take themselves too seriously.

This, so much.

Shantae games are great. They're beautiful, they have awesome soundtracks and they're really fun to play. I'm yet to play Half-Genie Hero, but man, Pirate's Curse was one of my favorite games the year it was released. Really good stuff, I strongly recommend it.

So I've put in a few hours so far, and I gotta say I have some mad respect for you guys who didn't have access to an auto-map back in the day and resorted to graph paper and pencil. The cave south of Scion on Palma surprised me with how big it was this early in the game, so I can only imagine how complex these mazes will be later on.

I'm also playing with the FM sound on, which I prefer much more than the alternative. It's almost Genesis-esque, in a way.

Man, it took me some three months to go thtough Phantasy Star 1 as a kid, and I had A LOT of free time back then ^_^

I didn't even know how to draw maps at the time, so I just explored the dungeons randomly, trying to remember the paths I had already gone through. I still remember when I got into Medusa's Tower and wandered aimlessly for three days. Then, I found a set of stairs. I went through it in hopes of finally finding Medusa... and I was back at the entrance ^_^

Thanks for your input on the FM music. I'm very interested in hearing what new players think about it.

Ritoo

Jun 5, 2018
Guacamelee 2 is so good ,1 is great this is even better

Run like butter on portable solid solid

Lucha!! ; )

Last edited:

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Graceful Explosion Machine has a demo as of Thursday and playing it made me realize I'd been missing out on a fantastic shooter with a clever chain system so I bought it immediately after finishing the demo. Aiming for the best rating and high scores on each level is going to be fun! Bonus: it's 30% off for a few more days for $8.99 US (ends Dec 20).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
There is some very weird shadow rendering delay going on with the switch version. Otherwise it looks good!

It's super distracting and kind of a deal breaker for me. I hope they fix it down the line.

I finished Furi. Good stuff. Not that hard. Worth every 10 euros. The music is nothing short of amazing for someone like me.

I'm interested in Firewatch which releases today. Does it run well on Switch?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Wayforward made Aliens Infestation, Mummy Demastered, a good TMNT game and a few others so I am fine with them playing side scrollin' Metroid games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
They also made Ducktales Remastered, which people were very critical of. Thankfully, I followed my instincts, got the game and had lots of fun. It's a very good game.
I loved Duck Tales Remastered. Last use of Alan Young's voice as Scrooge before he unfortunately passed away I believe :( I loved the animation in the game, and kind of appreciated the fact that you had to explore the worlds in more detail this time - bar The Moon and maybe the Amazon you could blast through levels super fast without actually exploring most of the game (Transylvania) so the change of pace was welcomed by me, though I do understand why people would be frustrated if they wanted something that was a 1:1 remake of the NES original.

I also loved many of Way Forwards other games - Contra 4 rocks, as did their take on Thor. I also really like the Shantae games, especially the third one which I felt had the right mix of puzzles, metroidvania and action. 1/2 Genie Hero had a bit too much backtracking (but I loved the action in the game) and Risky's Revenge was a bit too short.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny you say that. I bought the Sega Genesis Classics collection and it only has Phantasy Star 2-4 and since I didn't want to have an incomplete collection of the Phantasy Star series on my Switch, I picked up the first Phantasy Star as well. I mean, why not? I'm a huge RPG nut and have played next to nothing Phantasy Star, so at worst I'll now have some knowledge about a series I knew nothing about.

So I booted it just to see how it was and then, unsurprisingly, I found myself really enjoying my time with it. Now I'm a few hours in and this is actually pulling me away from Smash, which I did not expect.

I've played and completed both Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 1 and I gotta say, this game, so far at least, is the best "freshman" title of the bunch. It's beautiful, ambitious and the story is actually pretty cool. Also, I gotta give a shout out to the music. As someone who next to knows nothing about the PS series, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the music. But then I walked into the first dungeon and was shocked at how damn catchy the first dungeon theme was. It's even in my head when I'm not playing the game.

Not sure how you'll feel about it if you do decide to play it, but I have to say, as someone who originally thought this game was only worth it for those who had nostalgia for it (I even posted in this thread saying as much), I couldn't have been more wrong. It's actually a really solid JRPG and I can't wait to play through this so I can get to the rest of the series.

^ i like this guy

Are you using FM mode for the music or original?

I hope you love the rest of the series too. I mean, you will.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Anyone have an update on the quality of the Genesis Collection ports? I'd read that the emulation was generally poor, but I am interested in getting it along with the first Phantasy Star game so I can have the complete collection.

What are the chances we see the other three get a more complete update like the first one? I could hold off if the chances were even moderately good because it's gonna be awhile before I can play all of them.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
It's funny you say that. I bought the Sega Genesis Classics collection and it only has Phantasy Star 2-4 and since I didn't want to have an incomplete collection of the Phantasy Star series on my Switch, I picked up the first Phantasy Star as well. I mean, why not? I'm a huge RPG nut and have played next to nothing Phantasy Star, so at worst I'll now have some knowledge about a series I knew nothing about.

So I booted it just to see how it was and then, unsurprisingly, I found myself really enjoying my time with it. Now I'm a few hours in and this is actually pulling me away from Smash, which I did not expect.

I've played and completed both Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 1 and I gotta say, this game, so far at least, is the best "freshman" title of the bunch. It's beautiful, ambitious and the story is actually pretty cool. Also, I gotta give a shout out to the music. As someone who next to knows nothing about the PS series, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the music. But then I walked into the first dungeon and was shocked at how damn catchy the first dungeon theme was. It's even in my head when I'm not playing the game.

Not sure how you'll feel about it if you do decide to play it, but I have to say, as someone who originally thought this game was only worth it for those who had nostalgia for it (I even posted in this thread saying as much), I couldn't have been more wrong. It's actually a really solid JRPG and I can't wait to play through this so I can get to the rest of the series.
Lol you did the same I did. Really enjoying Phantasy Star. Though I admit, I have a hard time understanding what's going on.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
^ i like this guy

Are you using FM mode for the music or original?

I hope you love the rest of the series too. I mean, you will.
FM.

I heard how punchy the title screen sounded and didn't even think about checking out the original. Or is the FM the original version?
Anyone have an update on the quality of the Genesis Collection ports? I'd read that the emulation was generally poor, but I am interested in getting it along with the first Phantasy Star game so I can have the complete collection.
I mean, I've only gone through half of Streets of Rage and tried out a few other titles and I didn't notice anything off, but then again, unless it's absolute ass (e.g. MMX collection), I'm usually not fazed by not perfect emulation.

Honestly, I'm not even a Sega guy and I think the collection is worth the asking price just for the Phantasy Star games, both Shining Forces and the three Streets of Rage games but that's just me.

Lol you did the same I did. Really enjoying Phantasy Star. Though I admit, I have a hard time understanding what's going on.
Hah

The only thing I had to get used to is walking in front of NPCs to initiate dialogue. That's just weird.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 17 - Nippon Marathon - Onion Soup Interactive/PQube - $14.99/€12.99 - 3.0 GB
  • 17 - Firewatch - Campo Santo - $19.99/€19.99 - 2.1 GB
  • 17 - Bring Them Home - Higgs Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 418 MB *12/20 on NA*
  • 17 - City Builder - BoomBox - $9.99/€9.99 - 643 MB
  • 17 - Hardway Party - Wastelands - €1.99 - 658 MB
  • 17 - Hyperide: Vector Raid - Arts Alliance - $3.99 - 331 MB *NA*
  • 17 - Clue - Marmalade Game Studio - $29.99 - 703 MB *NA*
  • 17 - Party Arcade - Farsight Studios - €24.99 - 999 MB *EU*
    --
  • 18 - Donut County - Annapurna Interactive - $12.99/€11.99
  • 18 - Sheltered - Unicube/Team17 - $14.99/€14.99 - 560 MB
    --
  • 19 - Razed - Warpfish Games/PQube
  • 19 - Dreamwalker - Code Mystics - €4.39 - 42 MB *01/03 on NA*
    --
  • 20 - Battle Princess Madelyn - Causal Bit Games - $19.99/€17.49 - 1.5 GB
  • 20 - Viviette - Dya Games - $9.99/€9.99 - 62 MB
  • 20 - Puzzle Bobble - NeoGeo - Taito/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • 20 - Nightshade - D3Publisher - $47.99/€47.99 - 2.9 GB
  • 20 - Funghi Puzzle Funghi Explosion - D3Publisher - $17.99/€17.00 - 73 MB
  • 20 - Pipe Push Paradise - Digerati - $10.99/€10.99 - 280 MB *12/24 on EU*
  • 20 - Awe - BLG Publishing - $4.99/€4.99 - 162 MB
  • 20 - Venture Towns - Kairosoft - $12.00 - 187 MB
  • 20 - The Keep - Cinemax - $17.99 (Preorder sale: $13.99) - 528 MB *12/24 on EU*
  • 20 - Kingmaker: Rise of Throne - Artifex Mundl - $14.99/€14.99 - 597 MB
  • 20 - Leopoldo Manquiseil - BLG Publishing - $5.99/€5.99 - 211 MB
  • 20 - Chronus Arc - Kemco - €12.99 (Preorder sale: €11.69) - 148 MB
  • 20 - Revertia - PLiCy - €3.99 - 197 MB
  • 20 - Horizon Shift '81 - Funbox Media - $9.99/€7.99 - 124 MB
  • 20 - Guess the Character - JanduSoft - $2.99/€2.99 - 204 MB
  • 20 - Cake Laboratory - Grimtalin - $2.99 - 166 MB
    --
  • 21 - Sundered: Eldrich Edition - Thunder Lotus Games - $19.99/€19.99 - 2.0GB
  • 21 - Dynamite Fishing - World Games - Handy Games - $9.99/€9.99 - 558 MB
  • 21 - Fitness Boxing - Imagineer/Nintendo - €49.99 - 999 MB *01/04 on NA*
  • 21 - Clouds & Sheep 2 - HandyGames - $9.99/€9.99 - 351 MB
  • 21 - Jewel Fever 2 - Sprakelsoft - €3.99 - 121 MB
    --
  • 22 - Mana Spark - Behemutt/QubicGames - €9.99 - 322 MB
  • 22 - Koloro - Skoll Studio/QubicGames - €9.99 - 1.2 GB
  • 22 - Wondershot - Leikir Studio/QubicGames - €9.99 - 771 MB
  • 23 - Mech Rage - Drageus Games

Japan
  • 20 - Kunio-kun: The World Classics Collection - Arc System Works - ¥5,390
  • 20 - The Battle Cats - Ponos - ¥999
  • 20 - Demon Crystal - Regista - ¥972
  • 20 - WWA Collection - PLiCy - ¥1,500
  • 20 - Dragon Quest Builders 2: Hakaishin Sidoh to Karappo no Shima - Square Enix - ¥8,424
  • 20 - Onimusha: Warlords - Capcom - ¥3,490
  • 20 - RepKiss - Entergram - ¥4,980
  • 20 - Phrasefight - Mediascape - ¥1,000
  • 20 - Root Letter: Last Answer - Kadokawa Games - ¥4,980
  • 20 - Yoshiwara Higanbana Kuon no Chigiri - Prototype - ¥5,800
  • 20 - Kato Hifumi Kudan Kanshuu: Hifumin no Shogi Dojo - Pocket - ¥5,184
  • 20 - Tori Dama ~Minna De Chicken do Shindan~ - G-mode - ¥500
  • 20 - Animated Jigsaws: Wild Animals - Rainy Frog - ¥999

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I got Phantasy Star Sega Ages - I actually still have the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 that I play on occasion on PC as well as the Sega Collection on Steam.

I had played Phantasy Star a couple times before and was always put off by the difficulty and mapping. However, this Sega Ages version is awesome, and I would love for the rest of the games to get this treatment. Hell if I was a company that had a large back catalog of great games I would be throwing money at M2 to give them an Ages treatment. This is one of best $8 gaming purchases I've made. Really glad I jumped on it.

Man I wish Sega would give us PSo I&II remasters and PSO III, I loved all those on Gamecube.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Quick question eshoppers, Starlink is going for under £20 for the physical set with the Arwing in the bomba bin now and I'm sorely tempted. Did anyone buy it digitally, and did you feel it needed much in the way of extra purchases to get something out of it? I'd quite like to play it through but find paid-for games begging for money just irritating.
the eShop version has more than you need and more than the base retail version even.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Do we know if Battle Princess Madelyn is coming for sure this week? Eshop page says the 20th so I'm hoping. Apologies if someone else asked already.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
tell me more - why is this game so hyped?
It's a cute, stylish game with a simple but fun Katamari-ish theme: move a hole under objects to drop them in, and the more objects that fall in, the bigger the hole gets, allowing yet bigger objects to fall in. The game tells a fun little story between each level and the level design itself is pretty clever sometimes. It's not an amazing game but it's definitely worthwhile.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all, Astro Bears Party is on sale for $0.50. Fifty. Cents. Use your leftover gold and it's basically free. This game is a ton of fun!

The premise is simple: you're an astronaut bear and you fly around a tiny planet, leaving a trail behind you as you travel.

There is a single player mode, and it plays very similar to snake. I have enjoyed that mode greatly, but the real gem is multiplayer.

You and up to three friends are on a globe (with 3 different size options for varying difficulty), and fight to the death. This mode plays very similar to light bike, but much better quality.

There are four different bears to choose from, each with their own advantages and disadvantages (i.e. some fly longer, others move quicker, etc.).

TL;DR competitive bear-themed 3D Snake on Super Mario Galaxy-sized planets. Worth the $0.50, no question.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Y'all, Astro Bears Party is on sale for $0.50. Fifty. Cents. Use your leftover gold and it's basically free. This game is a ton of fun!

The premise is simple: you're an astronaut bear and you fly around a tiny planet, leaving a trail behind you as you travel.

There is a single player mode, and it plays very similar to snake. I have enjoyed that mode greatly, but the real gem is multiplayer.

You and up to three friends are on a globe (with 3 different size options for varying difficulty), and fight to the death. This mode plays very similar to light bike, but much better quality.

There are four different bears to choose from, each with their own advantages and disadvantages (i.e. some fly longer, others move quicker, etc.).

TL;DR competitive bear-themed 3D Snake on Super Mario Galaxy-sized planets. Worth the $0.50, no question.

Just bought it. Sounds like a fun game with friends after a day longboarding.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
FM.

I heard how punchy the title screen sounded and didn't even think about checking out the original. Or is the FM the original version?

I'm really glad you enjoyed the game, ryushe!

Yes, FM is the original sound, but it's complicated. The Japanese Master System (Sega Mark III) had an FM chip. Only a few games used it, Phantasy Star being the most notable one.

When the Master System got released outside of Japan, the FM chip was removed (probably to cut costs). So, when we played Phantasy Star back in the day, we didn't get FM sound.

Apart from emulation, this is the first time people outside of Japan can play Phantasy Star with the FM soundtrack, so it's a big deal for Phantasy Star veterans like me.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Finally got my Flip Grip, yay
Too bad my plan of always leaving my spare pair of joycons attached to it went bust after I noticed how much their battery get drained even in standby mode. Ugh I wish joycons' could be charged with a cable connection and not being forced to attach them to the main unit handheld style.

Of course I also can't use my Hori D-pad Left Joycon since that one is strictly an handheld only affair.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally booted up Celeste. Not really digging the pixel art but the controls are tight and perfect.

Also impulse bought Omensight by mistake (I keep forgetting there's no Are You Sure prompt). Hope it's good!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Finally got my Flip Grip, yay
Too bad my plan of always leaving my spare pair of joycons attached to it went bust after I noticed how much their battery get drained even in standby mode. Ugh I wish joycons' could be charged with a cable connection and not being forced to attach them to the main unit handheld style.

Of course I also can't use my Hori D-pad Left Joycon since that one is strictly an handheld only affair.
The hori controller not being wireless is so frustrating. I am desperate for a decent d-pad but I mostly play my Switch in tabletop mode.