• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how's Phantasy Star on Switch? I'm not super great with old RPGs but I know there's QoL improvements in the game.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The hori controller not being wireless is so frustrating. I am desperate for a decent d-pad but I mostly play my Switch in tabletop mode.

I mean $20 was a great deal but supposedly they sold well so my hope is Hori will feel compelled to make a $30 wireless version... unless Nintendo doesn't appreciate it going to compete with legit L joycons or even their Pro Controller. I mean our situation is niche within a niche.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So how's Phantasy Star on Switch? I'm not super great with old RPGs but I know there's QoL improvements in the game.

Phantasy Star is probably the most accessible of the early JRPG Ultima-clones, especially this version. If you can deal with the original Final Fantasy, you should have no problem with this.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star is probably the most accessible of the early JRPG Ultima-clones, especially this version. If you can deal with the original Final Fantasy, you should have no problem with this.

I think the oldest RPG I've played was the first Shin Megami Tensei and I hated it. Shin Megami Tensei II was a way better game though. Is that a good frame of mind?

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I think the oldest RPG I've played was the first Shin Megami Tensei and I hated it. Shin Megami Tensei II was a way better game though. Is that a good frame of mind?

Honestly, these games are too different for me to effectively compare them. I'd honestly recommend you check out a video like this so you can actually see what the game's pace and feel is all about.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
It is solid. The all improvements almost make it too easy.

One of the best Sega Ages games. For $8 you will be happy. I would say it is definitely old school in the vein of the smt games. Not a lot is explained but the ages updates help.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys. I know this isn't the specific place to ask, but since I feel like this thread represents the "core" of Switch owners of Era, thought I'd ask: would anyone be willing to add me to their Family Online plan? I'd be more than happy to pay my share if you have an extra slot. I regret not signing up for one when I did my own, but now that my daughter has her own Switch it'd be fun to play Splatoon online together!

Thanks for considering!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up, if you buy a $50 eShop card on the Swych app and use the code "Mario", you get $10 off.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My wife is not sure what she wants to get me for Xmas. She heard me mentioned a few times that I might be interested in a Switch again, I have had it twice before the first is when it came out and Zelda which was incredible and my GOY that year. I got it again for Mario but that just did not grab me. I am waffling if I want one again, games like Roller Coaster Tycoon Switch, Atari Flash back Classics and the one thing that really is making me want one though is the release of Phantasy Star since that is my GOAT game.

Any feed back on RollerCoaster or the Atari Flashback compilation?

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
I wonder about the controls, without an analog trigger, what is used for acceleration ? I hate using digital buttons for racing games.

Digital buttons is the only option unfortunately.
They can be remapped, but it doesn't let you assign an analog stick for gas.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's really not a huge issue, at least in early game where you use slower cars.

I'm not sure how faster cars will handle, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll be manageable.

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
How is Hover on the Switch? It's on sale, and I've read the lackluster reviews--that notwithstanding, did the game improve at all via patches that make the current review out of date?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will get Gris in time but opted for Transistor this month, I didn't like how there is not much challenge to Gris. I'll pick it p when I'm looking for a visual journey sort of game.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is not sure what she wants to get me for Xmas. She heard me mentioned a few times that I might be interested in a Switch again, I have had it twice before the first is when it came out and Zelda which was incredible and my GOY that year. I got it again for Mario but that just did not grab me. I am waffling if I want one again, games like Roller Coaster Tycoon Switch, Atari Flash back Classics and the one thing that really is making me want one though is the release of Phantasy Star since that is my GOAT game.

if you want a $300 piece of hardware for those - dont.

Like if you cant look at this massive library and find more than that, I would not get a switch at all. Kind of mind boggled you've owned it twice before and got rid of it? Seems like a joke post

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my Flip Grip, yay
Too bad my plan of always leaving my spare pair of joycons attached to it went bust after I noticed how much their battery get drained even in standby mode. Ugh I wish joycons' could be charged with a cable connection and not being forced to attach them to the main unit handheld style.

Of course I also can't use my Hori D-pad Left Joycon since that one is strictly an handheld only affair.

The charge grip is nice for charging secondary joycons, I keep forgetting it didn't came by default with the Switch. Got it from Gamestop in a bundle with my Switch at launch.

The hori controller not being wireless is so frustrating. I am desperate for a decent d-pad but I mostly play my Switch in tabletop mode.
Get the NES NSO controllers and do this? :D
y5lZvi2.jpg

(from https://kotaku.com/switchs-new-nes-controllers-do-more-than-you-might-thin-1831157773)

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Switch pinball fans: Williams Pinball Volume 2 is out now on Pinball FX3 with Attack From Mars, Black Rose and Party Zone for $9.99 US. Got to play a few quick games of Attack From Mars before work and it was great. Still hoping for them to release Tales of The Arabian Nights in the next pack.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that the eShop no longer restricts lists to a few items with a See All button and the end which goes to a list view.

Now you can scroll continuously without having to do that thing where you click the button and have to remember how far you got.

This is where you all tell me it's been like that for weeks and I've only just noticed!

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I will get Gris in time but opted for Transistor this month, I didn't like how there is not much challenge to Gris. I'll pick it p when I'm looking for a visual journey sort of game.
I just finished GRIS and while it isn't an extremely challenging game, its puzzles are relatively demanding and you get a sense of progression, unlike games like Journey and ABZU.
Transistor is a fantastic game as well, so you're good with either of them. GRIS will surely be on my top 10 2018 games though, maybe even on my top 10 of the gen.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Just noticed that the eShop no longer restricts lists to a few items with a See All button and the end which goes to a list view.

Now you can scroll continuously without having to do that thing where you click the button and have to remember how far you got.

This is where you all tell me it's been like that for weeks and I've only just noticed!

Oh, that was super annoying!

I just noticed it too, so I think this is new.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

That must be new! I looked at the discount list about 2 days ago (on the EU eShop) and then I needed the button.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Quite certain it is new, I looked at the deals list in the US eshop just a couple of days ago and the button was still there,

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's no way I'd buy a Switch for those games.

Why do you sell your consoles so often? Unless it's due to financial issues, just hang on to them. Put them in your closet for a bit if you're in need of extra space for the time being. Otherwise, you're just wasting money. If you get a third Switch for Christmas, that's $900 you or someone else spent on the same thing three times.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm curious, are there any consequences for changing my account country? Do I lose access to my old games?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm curious, are there any consequences for changing my account country? Do I lose access to my old games?
No effect on access to your games.
1. If you have funds in the eshop, you either loose them or you can't switch country as long as you have funds in the eshop you are in, not sure which
2. Gold coins can't be used across accounts, they will remain in the account you bought the game through
3. If you change to Japan, you will apparently continue to get game news on your Switch in Japanese as well, even if you switch back.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
No effect on access to your games.
1. If you have funds in the eshop, you either loose them or you can't switch country as long as you have funds in the eshop you are in, not sure which
2. Gold coins can't be used across accounts, they will remain in the account you bought the game through
3. If you change to Japan, you will apparently continue to get game news on your Switch in Japanese as well, even if you switch back.

Thanks. Guess I'll find a way to spend my current funds and then switch countries.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Thanks. Guess I'll find a way to spend my current funds and then switch countries.
You can alternatively create a second account for a different region and continue to play those games on your main account. It's what I do because it lets me keep my main account's funds untouched while using a secondary account to travel the world (to Mexico mostly).

Incidentally, is it possible to buy stuff from the South African eshop if I'm in the US?

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017

Do yourself a favor and just make a separate account for that country. I have a standard US account and:

ChiefMX - mexico
ChiefJP - japan
ChiefEU - Europe

Incidentally, is it possible to buy stuff from the South African eshop if I'm in the US?

I'd love to know this too. I have a South African account just sitting there.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Do yourself a favor and just make a separate account for that country. I have a standard US account and:

ChiefMX - mexico
ChiefJP - japan
ChiefEU - Europe

I'd love to know this too. I have a South African account just sitting there.

I have 3 accounts, from the US, Japan and South Africa. I buy games from all of them, i'm in Brazil, by the way.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017

I noticed this too - great improvement!

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017

Just checked and the coming soon section seems to no longer have a limit either. There are 63 games showing up right now; the limit used to be 48.

Also saw this video for an upcoming co-op platformer on Nintendolife:

I can never get enough of true co-op games. This trailer also reminded me that Ibb and Obb still hasn't been released for Switch.