• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
I remember seeing previews of Romancing Saga 3 in magazines in the day and thought it had amazing graphics!
Now, the day has come where its finally available to us in the West. Watching the trailer, I got octopath traveller vibes, as you choose 8 protagonists in your journey...

Anyone played Romancing Saga 3, worth picking up?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing previews of Romancing Saga 3 in magazines in the day and thought it had amazing graphics!
Now, the day has come where its finally available to us in the West. Watching the trailer, I got octopath traveller vibes, as you choose 8 protagonists in your journey...

Anyone played Romancing Saga 3, worth picking up?

I'm making my way through it for the first time right now. Definitely worth picking up if you're a JRPG fan -- especially if you enjoyed Octopath's non-linearity, mechanical focus, and faith in player intuition & critical thought.

Just keep in mind that it's a non-traditional game in most ways; it doesn't have much in the way of narrative or driving purpose beyond player curiosity, and it's mechanically opaque and without tutorial (though IMO relatively simple once you get the basics down).

This site's been a great resource: https://romancing-saga-3.blogspot.com/

There's an OT for the game here, and I can jot down some quick tips I've learned if you need.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I had no clue Star Ocean was so soon.

I don't remember loving First Departure on the PSP but I'm willing to give it another go.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
If someone makes a dumb/inappropriate comment, I better get a gif of Sinbad saying "This is a sick world we are living in."

probably the only other jingle all the way fan here...

X846.gif

I hear tolkir's dirty little secret is that's actually his favorite movie of all time, beating out all of the Terminator movies combined.*

And now that I've spilled the beans, I'll be banned forever from posting in these threads.

*(This is an unsubstantiated rumor and hasn't been confirmed or denied by tolkir.)

What did you get? I'm on the fence considering getting one of a few things:
- GRIS,
- Castlevania Collection (doesn't include SoTN and already have a SNES mini),
- DK adventure in Mario+Rabbids,
maybe - Ori (but I have a few unbeaten platforming metroidvanias already, maybe should wait to beat those)

My dude, my haul of shame wasn't meant to be shared, but you leave me no choice...

Switch:
• BARRIER X
• Celeste
• Croc's World Run
• Deadly Fighter 2
• Degrees of Separation
• FOX n FORESTS
• Hero Express
• Lichtspeer: Double Speer Edition
• Light Fall
• Monster Bugs Eat People
• NAMCO MUSEUM
• Not Not - A Brain Buster
• OlliOlli: Switch Stance
• Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
• puzzlement
• Refunct
• Rest in Pieces
• Splasher
• Super Bomberman R
• Super Chariot
• Super Rocket Shootout
• Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
• The First Tree
• The VideoKid
• TORIDAMA: Brave Challenge
• TowerFall
• Turok
• Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
• Volgarr the Viking
• Xtreme Club Racing

3DS:
• Darts Up 3D
• RAYMAN 3D
• Van Helsing sniper Zx100

...And there are a few others I'm thinking about grabbing as well (although I shouldn't). The sad part is that most of these will go untouched indefinitely underneath the hundreds of other Switch/3DS games I never got around to yet. And then there's the inevitable Christmas sale. Ugh...

I don't have Gris or Mario+Rabbids, but I can tell you that the Castlevania collection is an insane value at $10 and that Ori is a no-brainer at $13 (there's a demo if you're still unsure), and both of those aren't going to drop in price much lower in the future. On the flip side, both have also just released in the past several months and are already discounted, so they're bound to go on sale again soon enough if you can't nab them right now.

Last edited:

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
I'm making my way through it for the first time right now. Definitely worth picking up if you're a JRPG fan -- especially if you enjoyed Octopath's non-linearity, mechanical focus, and faith in player intuition & critical thought.

Just keep in mind that it's a non-traditional game in most ways; it doesn't have much in the way of narrative or driving purpose beyond player curiosity, and it's mechanically opaque and without tutorial (though IMO relatively simple once you get the basics down).

This site's been a great resource: https://romancing-saga-3.blogspot.com/

There's an OT for the game here, and I can jot down some quick tips I've learned if you need.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, appreciate that, and I'll keep those things in mind.

You have a great way of using terms to describe your thoughts and reflections. Its quite refreshing to read such a post of this quality.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
No must-buys for me this month, which is kind of a relieving way to end the year, especially after the Black Friday eShop sales.

I did not know Work x Work had been renamed to Heroland and, on top of it, it's coming out next tuesday! Damn, too many Mother 3 vibes to ignore, I hope it's not very expensive.

God damn it.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Skyrim on Switch great for $30? I've never really sat down with it in a meaningful way despite buying it at launch.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
X846.gif

I hear tolkir's dirty little secret is that's actually his favorite movie of all time, beating out all of the Terminator movies combined.*

And now that I've spilled the beans, I'll be banned forever from posting in these threads.

*(This is an unsubstantiated rumor and hasn't been confirmed or denied by tolkir.)

My dude, my haul of shame wasn't meant to be shared, but you leave me no choice...

Switch:
• BARRIER X
• Celeste
• Croc's World Run
• Deadly Fighter 2
• Degrees of Separation
• FOX n FORESTS
• Hero Express
• Light Fall
• NAMCO MUSEUM
• puzzlement
• Refunct
• Rest in Pieces
• Splasher
• Super Bomberman R
• Super Chariot
• Super Rocket Shootout
• The First Tree
• The VideoKid
• TowerFall
• Turok
• Volgarr the Viking
• Xtreme Club Racing

3DS:
• Darts Up 3D
• RAYMAN 3D

...And there are a few others I'm thinking about grabbing as well (although I shouldn't). The sad part is that most of these will go untouched indefinitely underneath the hundreds of other Switch/3DS games I never got around to yet. And then there's the inevitable Christmas sale. Ugh...

I don't have Gris or Mario+Rabbids, but I can tell you that the Castlevania collection is an insane value at $10 and that Ori is a no-brainer at $13 (there's a demo if you're still unsure), and both of those aren't going to drop in price much lower in the future. On the flip side, both have also just released in the past several months and are already discounted, so they're bound to go on sale again soon enough if you can't nab them right now.

Sincerely I think it's not the best comedy of Chuache (Spanish nickname of Schwarzenegger). I prefer Last Action Hero, True Lies or, even, Kindergarten Cop.

My picks of the Black Friday were:

Raging Loop (Physical)
Ring Fit Adventures (Physical)
Batman The Telltale Series
Batman The Enemy Within
Fox n Forests
Lichtspeer: Double Speer Edition
Turok
Turok 2

I didn't buy anything more because my backlog is already too big. I still have to complete Three Houses, DQ XI and Pokemon Shield.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Without doubt, this month belongs to ESP Rade. But I'm torn on how to buy it. Do I import physical or do I buy from the Japanese eShop???

esp-ra-de-psi-603597.3.jpg

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Is Skyrim on Switch great for $30? I've never really sat down with it in a meaningful way despite buying it at launch.

It's a good port. Personally playing it on the Switch would be my last choice in platforms to experience it on but if you are big on handheld gaming and never really played it it's a no-brainer at $30. Potentially hundreds of hours worth of content if you like it.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Hope Call of Juarez does not get lost in the shoot out for xmas as it is a brilliant little game

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I just played 30 minutes because I've got a Witcher to finish first, but the game was very fluid. I think it's been fixed. It looks great as well.
Same but Dragon's Dogma is my current obsession. I spent an hour or so with American Fugitive the day I bought it and everything seemed fine performance-wise.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Same but Dragon's Dogma is my current obsession. I spent an hour or so with American Fugitive the day I bought it and everything seemed fine performance-wise.
Can you sell me to Dragon's Dogma? It's gonna be hard because it seemed really bland from the videos I've seen, but half of ERA apparently loves it.
I discovered that large open world games were perfect for long intercontinental flights, and I have such flight 2-3 times a month so after Witcher 3, I'll be on the market for something else. I was thinking of Black Flag but being an Ubosoft game, it'll be on sale after 2 months so I should wait.

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in for Star Ocean and maybe Scarlet Saga.. Heroland looks interesting but seems to be more of a mobile game in execution?

Grabbed SD Gundam Cross Rays from the JP eshop and loving it a heck more then I thought I would, which already was plenty. Animations on Switch have stutter and are far from perfect, but the systems implemented are ticking all the boxes for me. Am 5 hours in and got 14% completion up from the initial 7% at the start of the game.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Can you sell me to Dragon's Dogma? It's gonna be hard because it seemed really bland from the videos I've seen, but half of ERA apparently loves it.
I discovered that large open world games were perfect for long intercontinental flights, and I have such flight 2-3 times a month so after Witcher 3, I'll be on the market for something else. I was thinking of Black Flag but being an Ubosoft game, it'll be on sale after 2 months so I should wait.
To be fair, a good ninety percent of Era loves Breath of the Wild, but I'm not a fan at all.

The thing about Dragon's Dogma is that it can be very daunting in those first few hours. There's so much gear, and so many classes it's hard to figure out at first. You just need to push through the first few hours and everything falls into place after that. Gold piles up, you'll get some better gear and figure out how far equipment enhancement can go. Some equipment is really expensive, but later in the game you'll be getting ridiculous amounts of gold between quest rewards and plunder.

The beauty of the game is that you don't need to stick to one class. I usually play a pure melee character in games like this, but I like some of the things that the Ranger/Strider classes can do, too. I started as a strider for the first 15 levels or so, switched to a warrior until I hit level 50, then switched back to a strider. Different classes level different stats, so you have a ton of flexibility in how you build your character.

Also being able to climb around on large monsters and hack away at them is just really, really cool.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't fired my Switch up in a while, but I'd like to find something cool to play. Ideally I like story-driven brawlers or twin stick shooters. Some of my favorites across platforms are: Renegade Ops, Alienation, Dead Nation, Grinding Gears, Viking Quest, and even something like Sacred Citadel. I have a few games on Switch like Neon Chrome (liked it), Tesla Vs Lovecraft (liked it), Neon Voider (not my favorite), Isaac (it's okay), Jydge (meh), Neon Chrome (liked it).

I'm sure I'm missing lots of good games, local co-op would be ideal. Would anyone have any suggestions to share? Bonus points if it's on sale!

Sounds like you need to buy Assault Android Cactus+ and Enter the Gungeon.

Hey NappingRat,
DK Adventure is fantastic and the best DLC I've played this year. CrankyRabbid/DK are super fun to play and introduce a bunch of cool strat mechanics, the whole thing is super polished and worth every penny.

Last edited:

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017

Hey NappingRat,
DK Adventure is fantastic and the best DLC I've played this year. CrankyRabbid/DK are super fun to play and introduce a bunch of cool strat mechanics, the whole thing is super polished and worth every penny.

How hard is AAC compared to EtG? I actually have EtG and we love it but can't get past the 1st main boss. Lol.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
How hard is AAC compared to EtG? I actually have EtG and we love it but can't get past the 1st main boss. Lol.

Deffo easier than EtG.
You can also enable cheats later if you so choose and you can change android to better fit the level/playstyle.
Also the controls are better implemented and not as cumbersome as EtG.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
My haul so far...
  • Warlock 2: God Slayers
  • RAD
  • Door Kickers: Action Squad
  • Miniature
  • FAR: Lone Sail
  • Jedi Knight 2
  • Contra (physical)
  • Star Wars Pinball
  • Space Pioneer (technically not part of the sale)
Maybe will pick up:
  • Bomberman (to sell my physical copy)
  • Castlevania (maybe)
  • Hob
  • Ori

So wish Airheart was on sale but that developer doesn't want the Switch version to get a sale for the life of them.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
So wish Airheart was on sale but that developer doesn't want the Switch version to get a sale for the life of them.
Yup, let's see if they put in on sale in Christmas, but I won't hold my hopes high as the PS4 version was released on July 2018 and has never gotten a sale…

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I should resist buying alien isolation because my hands will be full of DQXI until february at least but who am I kidding? I'm probably going to preload it the next time i'll be drunk enough...

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
So I picked up Trover Saves the Universe for $2.40 off Mexico's eShop as I enjoy the Rick & Morty style of humor. Which this game does really well. It's quite entertaining. Though it's also really apparent the game was originally in VR. The indirect character movement. The shake your head yes or no. And someone who flat out says, "doesn't this look cool in VR." :)

The game itself is meh, especially since it isn't VR. But that isn't the main draw. Watching characters get more and more annoyed when you don't do what they want is.

If I get anything this month then it'll probably be EarthNight, that game has "the look".
EarthNight is part of Apple Arcade. It's an auto-runner (not endless, there are designed levels), and I enjoyed what I played so far.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Picked up:

Divinity Original Sin 2
Castlevania Collection
Blaster Master Zero 2
Gorogoa
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (physical)
Killer Queen Black (physical)

Have about $15 plus 1000+ points I can spend. Thinking Contra and Turoks, or maybe Slay the Spire. Also interested in the Saga games but not sure I have the time to grind (especially having a 100+ hour RPG just added). Is it worth getting 2 before 3 or just hopping strait to 3 (or wait for Scarlet Grace)?

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
Anyone have an idea of how the online population is for Killer Queen?
Online population seems to be fine - it takes a minute or so to matchmake each time, but it's definitely active for now. People are quite good in ranked mode late at night (scary good), but it's a wonderful game and the competition isn't overwhelming for me in the evenings.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018

Hey NappingRat,
Thanks for the response! Rabbids' DK for $7.50 or the whole DLC smorgasbord for $10.....🤔

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I filled my 512GB card with this last shopping spree. I will need to start completing some games that I had nearly finished so that I can delete them. It still amazes me to look at my game collection, how the switch has in less than 3 years amassed such a great library and how it's possible to carry them all with me.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Online population seems to be fine - it takes a minute or so to matchmake each time, but it's definitely active for now. People are quite good in ranked mode late at night (scary good), but it's a wonderful game and the competition isn't overwhelming for me in the evenings.
Thanks, I'll probably grab it while it's on sale

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! That's certainly not cheap. I guess I'll wishlist it for now. It's not like there are no other games around.
Re: Heroland

I had a friend pick up a physical copy of Work x Work for me from Japan earlier this year (because it was a bit of a bomb, it is super cheap new, something like 10 euro equivalent), planning to fire it up once Heroland is out to see if it is the same universal SKU and will update for English. I will report here some point after release. Might be a good way for people to pick it up cheaper if you can get a copy from Japan.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit. I had no idea Work x Work was coming out this soon or that it had been renamed. Well looks like I need to hurry and beat Earthbound and Mother 3 so I can get around to it.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished The Touryst earlier.

I would say I enjoyed it for the most part, there were a few really irritating niggles, and I wish they did a bit more with the monuments, or at least made them longer.

But the game really oozes charm and personality.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
X846.gif

Switch:
• BARRIER X
• Celeste
• Croc's World Run
• Deadly Fighter 2
• Degrees of Separation
• FOX n FORESTS
• Hero Express
• Light Fall
• NAMCO MUSEUM
• puzzlement
• Refunct
• Rest in Pieces
• Splasher
• Super Bomberman R
• Super Chariot
• Super Rocket Shootout
• The First Tree
• The VideoKid
• TowerFall
• Turok
• Volgarr the Viking
• Xtreme Club Racing

3DS:
• Darts Up 3D
• RAYMAN 3D

Heh, I'm working my way up towards something similar - just need to finalise my plans for one last raid on the sales...

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I think I'm done with this sale. Only spent a little over $60. Didn't get many games, but hopefully I'll like what I got:

- Wolfenstein 2 (I'm enjoying it, but it's the blurriest game I've played on the Switch. And I have Witcher 3)
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (not big on LEGO games, but I'll give this one a last chance)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist (was craving for a card game)

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I was considering Dragon's Dogma, in the end I got nothing. I'm happy with the games I have, I haven't touched Yooka Lair yet and I'm still playing Ring Fit and a couple of other games on my Xbox. There will be another sale in 3 weeks anyway.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
reminder for the EU crowd that Luigi's Mansion and Link's Awakening are 42.99€ (and you get 300 gold coins so its basically 39.99€) and 35€ gift cards are 28.49€ until monday on Instant Gaming (the gift cards are unsurprisingly their top seller lol, it's a hell of a deal)

Oct 26, 2017
I tell ya I don't know what I'd do if previous months' releases were still available for purchase each time a new month rolled in.

It's the only thing saving me from financial ruin.