• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Jeeezus. The AI in Puzzle Quest is a cheating piece of shit. It's like everything I do sets up a nice bazillion-piece combo for the CPU.

I switched to Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy and am having a much better time.

I enjoyed playing through Puzzle Quest (and the sequel) way back when it came out on Xbox 360, but I couldn't agree more wrt the cheating AI. There were times I wanted to throw my controller, and I'm not usually the type. The final boss in particular is a real "gem." I think that encounter only took me 20+ attempts. Looking back, it was a great game for the time but yeah, there are lots of other match-3 RPG type games out there.

Feb 10, 2018
I just bought Windmill Kings yesterday, thought it was a tower defense.

It's quitte shitty, don't buy it. The music is cool but the gameplay is very simplistic. Feel like I've wasted 10€

Wish there was some kind of refund on switch :(

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Monster Boy.

Man, the opening section(s) with the pig stuff absolutely sucks and I hope it changes and gets better very soon because I am not impressed or enjoying this game at all.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Tried Battle Chef Brigade on Game Pass. I was not attracted by the game at all because of the art, but it's a nice game ! In the end it's lovely, the music is dope and the gameplay interesting. I'm just not sure how long is the game, but I'm definitely grabbing this when it gets on sale again.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
any feedback for Tools Up?

Played it last night and beat it. Bunch of characters/animals to unlock with stars you get from the 25 levels. There really isn't too much challenge to them. There is a timer but only two timers were we running out of time and that is because they very rarely tell you how to do things. It feels like at the end they tell you how to do wallpaper and brick laying but they don't have fun graphics about doing anything else.

That was all campaign.

As I said, it was some fun but pretty simple and didn't have much of an urgency as Overcooked (for good and bad). Honestly, unless you are hardcore into that style, I'd wait for a sale (unless party mode is amazing?).

Also, you can pick each other up. That can be fun and annoying.

PS: I think we beat it all in 4:30.

edit: There is a party mode but it is the same levels but more of a strict time crunch, so more like Overcooked that would require a lot of teamwork and potentially already knowing what to do.

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
princess maker remake out soon and on sale
anyone knows what it's like?
and looking for an icon

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Monster Boy.

Man, the opening section(s) with the pig stuff absolutely sucks and I hope it changes and gets better very soon because I am not impressed or enjoying this game at all.

I agree with this 100%. I hated the damned pig section. Good news, though: it does get better. It's a slow way to start the game...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The ending of American fugitive is VERY anticlimactic. I didn't even know it was finished.
Good game though. Incredible attention to details and solid from a technical standpoint, even when the army arrives at 6 stars. The missions are not always very interesting, but I've had a few intense chases which were fun. For 10 euros it was worth it. Even full price, I wouldn't have felt cheated; I give it a solid 6/10. I hope there's a dlc to give a proper ending and a proper closure.
How's The Church in the Darkness? I was quite interested in this one, I may grab it on sale.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving Labyrinth of Refrain, usual anime fan-service problems aside (which is a shame because I actually love the art itself).

also:

Last edited:

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Jeeezus. The AI in Puzzle Quest is a cheating piece of shit. It's like everything I do sets up a nice bazillion-piece combo for the CPU.

I switched to Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy and am having a much better time.
Were you doing battles on easy, normal or hard? Also, which character did you choose? I'm not very deep in yet but the only places I have a real hard time (even when on easy...) are the guys (2 types so far) that keep regenerating themselves, especially since it is impossible to prevent them in the long run from getting the proper gems in large quantities.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Were you doing battles on easy, normal or hard? Also, which character did you choose? I'm not very deep in yet but the only places I have a real hard time (even when on easy...) are the guys (2 types so far) that keep regenerating themselves, especially since it is impossible to prevent them in the long run from getting the proper gems in large quantities.
I was playing battles on Normal. But the issue was seemingly that I was playing a Monk, which is regarded as having trash offensive options. I started over as a Warrior and am having a much easier time.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Has anyone played and/or have impression on Big Pharma?
Picked up YSVIII for 50% off... been waiting to play it on PS4 but realistically I don't think it's going to happen. The portability factor is what's going to help me get through that one. Excited to have an action RPG on the go despite some drops on the visuals/performance.
I played it on Switch a few months back due to portability and it being on sale. I had no issues with it as far as performance goes.
I was already hitting the point by then where I was getting burnt out on Souls games.
I cant really blame you.
2014 - Dark Souls II
2015 - Bloodborne
2016 - Dark Souls III
2018 - Dark Souls Remastered
2019 - Sekiro
TBA - Elden Ring

Congrats to FROM on all their success this gen, but yeah that's a lot.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I cant really blame you.
2014 - Dark Souls II
2015 - Bloodborne
2016 - Dark Souls III
2018 - Dark Souls Remastered
2019 - Sekiro
TBA - Elden Ring

Congrats to FROM on all their success this gen, but yeah that's a lot.
oh I got on board with the first Dark Souls, then went back and played Demon's Souls later. Then there are the Soulslikes like Lords of the Fallen, Nioh, The Surge, etc. I've played quite a few.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
princess maker remake out soon and on sale
anyone knows what it's like?
and looking for an icon
It's my childhood game, so excited for it!
You raise a child from age 10 to 18 by setting up a schedule for her on a monthly basis. The gameplay part is only that, you set schedules and interact with your adoptive daughter and events that happen in her life. It's a stats game and different things (classes, jobs, events) unlock based on her proficiency or stats. And there's a ton of stats to track and train to become a princess at the end of 8 years. It's kind of the main goal as the title implies but there's over 50 endings (can't recall exact number) that spans from cook to knight to different kinds of princesses. Each run doesn't take too long, I think about 6-8 hours? So most people retry different paths to reach other endings since you can control a lot of the different factors to trigger different events. Ngl, there are weird elements to this game like some of the questionable endings or scenes but nothing too eyebrow-raising.

This one is probably the best paced out of the 5 that they made and in my opinion, the one with best artstyle. I do highly recommend it if you have played simulation games like this in the past! I think I rambled enough about this game, so glad I can play this soon on my switch, really didn't think they were going to port it over.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
It's my childhood game, so excited for it!
You raise a child from age 10 to 18 by setting up a schedule for her on a monthly basis. The gameplay part is only that, you set schedules and interact with your adoptive daughter and events that happen in her life. It's a stats game and different things (classes, jobs, events) unlock based on her proficiency or stats. And there's a ton of stats to track and train to become a princess at the end of 8 years. It's kind of the main goal as the title implies but there's over 50 endings (can't recall exact number) that spans from cook to knight to different kinds of princesses. Each run doesn't take too long, I think about 6-8 hours? So most people retry different paths to reach other endings since you can control a lot of the different factors to trigger different events. Ngl, there are weird elements to this game like some of the questionable endings or scenes but nothing too eyebrow-raising.

This one is probably the best paced out of the 5 that they made and in my opinion, the one with best artstyle. I do highly recommend it if you have played simulation games like this in the past! I think I rambled enough about this game, so glad I can play this soon on my switch, really didn't think they were going to port it over.
thanks. The artwork is amazing so im pretty keen on picking it up
I picked up the board game just because I liked the icon... hope its fun

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
thanks. The artwork is amazing so im pretty keen on picking it up
I picked up the board game just because I liked the icon... hope its fun
The board game spinoff is very different in gameplay and brings back familiar faces from the franchise. It's pretty fun for its quick runs but the AI can be absolutely brutal and I'm convinced that they cheat rolls. It's still winnable but you might also need some luck on your side. Still has the charm of its series and I think it's well worth $15. Glad you picked it up!

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth I didn't think Ashen was very good, and I'm a huge Souls fan. The AI partner is a strange addition and the wide open areas aren't particularly well designed at all. The dungeons and rebuilding town parts are interesting however.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm loving Labyrinth of Refrain, usual anime fan-service problems aside (which is a shame because I actually love the art itself).

also:

I know I said The Touryst didn't seem appealing to me when it came out, but this video turned me around. I think I'll pick it up at some point now. I am familiar with some Shin'en games but didn't know about their demoscene origin, which definitely makes sense in the context of the video.

Oct 25, 2017
I must say I appreciate Yacht Club's transparency about how the Shovel Knight: King of Cards rollout will go this week: namely, clarifying that it will come with the eShop update window (9am-11am PST, Tuesday the 10th) and not something out of the ordinary, so people aren't wishfully refreshing the shop or spamming the Update button at midnight just in case.

I've had King of Cards marked on my calendar for a while, but almost forgot to plan around it and avoid starting anything big in the next few days. I'm glad the Monster Boy sale is running until quite late in the month so I can consider it later instead, since I don't have time to look at it now. Weighing it against Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, too, as I've said from the start that it sounds exactly like my kind of game, but I've been so short on space for any new purchases lately that I was holding off for a sale by default.

Is Dark Souls Remastered on Switch not played by anyone?

I haven't seen a single summon sign yet.

I am sitting it out to this day because they refuse to do anything about the crazy cancel/confirm button swap that people were already complaining about in the pre-release server test, and I've come to accept they never will.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The game had a lot going against it so I doubt it sold well. And that's unfortunate since its a really good game and was actually announced during a ND.

I don't really remember, what was wrong with it? I do remember people complaining about the compressed audio and 30fps while docked, though. I'd figure it would still sell well because everything sells on the Switch plus you can't beat portable Dark Souls even if it's not as good as the other platforms.

I am sitting it out to this day because they refuse to do anything about the crazy cancel/confirm button swap that people were already complaining about in the pre-release server test, and I've come to accept they never will.

Yeah, that tripped me up too and really odd you can't switch it. Still, you get used to it after awhile.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is there gonna be a holiday sale? And should we expect some big titles on it at least from third party?

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I been playing Trover saves the universe. The game is phenomenal. The combat is alright but the game really shines in the dialogue. I literally stared at two npc talked for 20 minutes about random shit and it was just fantastic on how it just kept going. This game has that everywhere for most npc's, and I really wished more games were like this.

If you dont like rick and morty, you'll probably not going to like this game, but, if you do, its a real treat.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard real bad stuff about The Touryst. Real bad.
Like what?
I been playing Trover saves the universe. The game is phenomenal. The combat is alright but the game really shines in the dialogue. I literally stared at two npc talked for 20 minutes about random shit and it was just fantastic on how it just kept going. This game has that everywhere for most npc's, and I really wished more games were like this.

If you dont like rick and morty, you'll probably not going to like this game, but, if you do, its a real treat.
I dislike Rick and Morty and find Trover absolutely delightful.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak for anyone else, but I hated some of the platforming segments.

Seems like they consciously used the inability to see things clearly as a mechanic. Like, some sections had perspective making it hard to judge (and with a restricted camera) and others would obscure either the platform you're on or the one you're aiming for by placing a platform in front of them and not letting you move the camera to a position where you could see. Absolutely dreadful imo, and one of the worst gameplay decisions I've seen in a while.

I enjoyed the rest of the game, but these parts really left a bad taste in my mouth and I just didn't have the enthusiasm to try very long to power through to 100% completion. I was near enough the end of the campaign that I just finished that up and called it a day.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Can't speak for anyone else, but I hated some of the platforming segments.

Seems like they consciously used the inability to see things clearly as a mechanic. Like, some sections had perspective making it hard to judge (and with a restricted camera) and others would obscure either the platform you're on or the one you're aiming for by placing a platform in front of them and not letting you move the camera to a position where you could see. Absolutely dreadful imo, and one of the worst gameplay decisions I've seen in a while.

I enjoyed the rest of the game, but these parts really left a bad taste in my mouth and I just didn't have the enthusiasm to try very long to power through to 100% completion. I was near enough the end of the campaign that I just finished that up and called it a day.
That's fair. The platforming bits didn't bother me as much but a few were definitely frustrating.

Speaking of frustrating, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to enjoy Monster Boy. I'm sure it gets better as it goes on but the Pig section is just not good or fun.

I'm up to the Snake boss now and sure I'm going to get the ability to change into him after I beat him but I died because of some BS and I'm not at all motivated to go back to fight him again.

Last edited:

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I don't really remember, what was wrong with it? I do remember people complaining about the compressed audio and 30fps while docked, though. I'd figure it would still sell well because everything sells on the Switch plus you can't beat portable Dark Souls even if it's not as good as the other platforms.
Audio issues and some people had issue with the button mapping hat couldnt be reconfigured. Apparently there were issues on other platforms as well.
Is there gonna be a holiday sale? And should we expect some big titles on it at least from third party?
Yes to both questions.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I have a very very long flight on the 17 (20+ hours. The last of the year hopefully); so far I'm planning to play through the expansions of the Witcher 3, but is there a chance that the holiday sales start before that date? I'm actually close to being done with my backlog...

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
for what it's worth I bought Dark Souls during the Black Friday sale and have been absolutely loving the port. Never played through any of the Souls games and I'm having a blast. Really hope they decide to also port DS2.

I'm not sure I would ever want to play a Souls-like game not on handheld after this. Granted the only other one I have played is Bloodborne.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Is Dark Souls Remastered on Switch not played by anyone?

I haven't seen a single summon sign yet.

Online of third party games usually completely die two months after their release. Right now I'm really having a hard time finding an online match in games like MK11, Team Sonic Racing, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sniper Elite 3. Even in Overwatch you have to wait ~10 minutes for a match.

MK8, Splatoon 2 and Smash are the only game with healthy online base. Too bad I hate the two of them except Smash.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
The game had a lot going against it so I doubt it sold well. And that's unfortunate since its a really good game and was actually announced during a ND.

eShop best-seller charts after Dark Souls launched show it performing really well in the midst of a glut of huge releases like Super Mario Party, Diablo III, and Smash, peaking at #2:

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I've summoned, was summoned and invaded / got invaded like crazy back in February when i was actively playing DS.

Maybe the multiplayer died now?
Every now and then i come back to it and it always had some people playing

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Dark Souls
I beat it on PC (played it for 80 hours), then I got it on Switch and I find it awesome. I actually prefer the Switch version due to portability + stable performance (my PC is not so hot).

Yeah, the cancel/confirm thing is stupid, but not a big deal for me. The sound is kind of crappy and while I'm not audiophile, I can easily tell it's low quality. That said, again, not a big deal for me.

Final Fantasy X
Nobody asked, but I'm really enjoying the Switch port! Played lots of FF games, but never X. I'm very close to the end right now and have no complains, save it for the slow and boring cloisters of trials (just a minor annoyance). The combat system is great, you can customize your characters in many ways, the music is absolutely wonderful and while the animations show their age, the revamped graphics look great to me.

I like the characters and the story is dark and interesting, as usual in Final Fantasy games. The love story is kind of unconvincing, if you ask me, but I still enjoy the party dynamics. The game is fairly linear, which might evoke FFXIII memories (disclaimer, I'm one of those weirdos that like FXIII), but the game definitely hides the linearity way better than XIII. There are many moments when, for example, you get to a town, talk to people, buy stuff, etc. The customization options also help to this regards. Then, near the end, the game opens up and allows you to travel to previous locations, with new (and interesting) side quests available. Very cool game.

Last edited:

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
eShop best-seller charts after Dark Souls launched show it performing really well in the midst of a glut of huge releases like Super Mario Party, Diablo III, and Smash, peaking at #2:
Isn't that just 1 week?
I dont remember when it launched but kudos to them if it performed well.
Well hopefully Fire Emblem doesn't go on sale, I just bought it, when should we expect the sale btw?
FE:TH is a 1st party game that sold well and released this summer, so its unlikely you will see a sale on the eShop this soon.
And nobody knows when the sales will go up for the holidays.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm finally not a Pig anymore and unless Monster Boy is backloaded with the "good stuff," I just don't think this game is for me, which is a huge bummer.