• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Using the current sales to fire up the Switch again after a few months of collecting dust.

Bought:
Sonic Mania
Runbow
My Brother Rabbit

I've got my eye on Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Any thoughts? Are they worth picking up for $5 a piece?

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Played a few more hours of Assassins Creed III. Got to Boston, did a few missions, having lots of fun.

The history bits are very interesting. I just got to Beacon Hill, which I assume my North American friends are familiar with. Well, I live in Brazil, and even though we do study the American Revolution at school, we don't get as many details as you guys do, so I had never heard of Beacon Hill. Very cool to learn about it while playing the game. It's also cool when you get to a place and the database says: "enjoy it while it lasts, because it will get burned in five years".

Oh, Benjamin Franklin: of course I know who he was, but I had no idea he was into older women ^_^ This is probably old news for you; he's such an important person in North American history that you must know all about him. In the game, he went on a long talk on how older women were better wives, so I googled it and noticed they recreated a letter he wrote on the subject:

Bibliomania: Free Online Literature and Study Guides

Two thousand texts of classic literature, drama, and poetry together with detailed literature study guides. Large reference book and non-fiction section

^ Pretty terrible by today's standards ^_^

Awesome game. I think I should give other AC games a try after I beat this one.

So what is the word on Overwatch for Switch? I've seen mixed things, but really nothing in terms of conversation since October.

I have it and really like it, it's a great port in my opinion, aside from lower resolution and 30fps (but very stable ones), it's the same game, lots of fun, and it controls great with the pro controller.

Same here, I think Overwatch on Switch is a very fun game. I heard it had a few issues when it launched, such as character models taking a while to load (I imagine how weird that was), but I bought the game a few weeks ago and haven't found any bugs.

Of course, if you're a PC gamer used to 60fps and high resolution, this might not be for you, as the game is a bit low res. What I can tell you is: as a guy with a modest PC used to lowering the resolution in games to achieve stable 30fps, I think it looks pretty decent.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Very much enjoying Kunai so far (around 3 hours in).

That charge attack is something else..

I wish there were more save points. Backtracking through the world after death is a little frustrating, but I also realise this is what happens in this particular genre so I shouldn't complain too much.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got an impressions on that Shikkhodo shmup that's on sale now? Is it pretty hard to 1CC?
Great game - really awesome art style, and the soundtrack is really good. I haven't 1cc'd it myself, but I don't think it seems to tough if you put in the practice.

If you're into cave shooters, you should really check it out.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It's got something of a rom-com vibe to it from what the marketing is saying.

Thanks for sharing. It looks interesting, I'm curious to see how it plays and reviews. I gotta read the Florence review someone mentioned from NWR since I don't know much about that one either.

Sonic Mania is 50% off. Buy it despite its icon. One of my most-played games.

Almost never played a Sonic game before. I thought I might wait and see if this one comes to Game Pass eventually... I think I have Sonic 3/Knuckles on 360 BC on Xbox One. Is that similar enough that I should try it first?

I just finished it. It's a charming little game with some sincere moments that might surprise you. I enjoyed the writing, but the style is pretty casual and modern. Not overbearing like Donut County, but many of the ghosts are (were) young adults, and their dialogue reflects that. If you're into weird and/or sentimental, bite-sized experiences you can play through in one evening, I recommend it. You don't spend a long time with any of the ~12 ghosts, but it's just enough time to learn what they're about, have a little adventure with them, and endear them to you (and hopefully, you to them). You can pick dialogue options to tank the speed dates so that they won't like you, but I never have the heart to go for bad routes in these things so I just tried to get along with everyone. The production values aren't showstopping, but that's not to the game's disadvantage. The screenshots will tell you whether you'll be into the art or not. There is some replay value given the various dialogue options that will momentarily take conversations in different directions, and it's short enough to actually make replays appealing. I played through it twice in order to try out some different choices. I can see myself replaying it down the road.

I'm at a point where I end up starting plenty of good games and never finishing them. This game was the right combination of fun, nice, and weird to get me to stick with it.

Thanks for sharing your impressions! Is the extent of the gameplay picking dialogue options, i.e. basic VN gameplay? Or are there other mechanics too?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Played a few more hours of Assassins Creed III. Got to Boston, did a few missions, having lots of fun.

The history bits are very interesting. I just got to Beacon Hill, which I assume my North American friends are familiar with. Well, I live in Brazil, and even though we do study the American Revolution at school, we don't get as many details as you guys do, so I had never heard of Beacon Hill. Very cool to learn about it while playing the game. It's also cool when you get to a place and the database says: "enjoy it while it lasts, because it will get burned in five years".

Oh, Benjamin Franklin: of course I know who he was, but I had no idea he was into older women ^_^ This is probably old news for you; he's such an important person in North American history that you must know all about him. In the game, he went on a long talk on how older women were better wives, so I googled it and noticed they recreated a letter he wrote on the subject:

Bibliomania: Free Online Literature and Study Guides

Two thousand texts of classic literature, drama, and poetry together with detailed literature study guides. Large reference book and non-fiction section

^ Pretty terrible by today's standards ^_^

Awesome game. I think I should give other AC games a try after I beat this one.

Same here, I think Overwatch on Switch is a very fun game. I heard it had a few issues when it launched, such as character models taking a while to load (I imagine how weird that was), but I bought the game a few weeks ago and haven't found any bugs.

Of course, if you're a PC gamer used to 60fps and high resolution, this might not be for you, as the game is a bit low res. What I can tell you is: as a guy with a modest PC used to lowering the resolution in games to achieve stable 30fps, I think it looks pretty decent.

How's the gameplay in ACIII? I haven't touched an AC since the 2nd and that was 10 years ago. I heard that the old formula feels dated...

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Guys, I see Team Sonic Racing at less than half the price of Crash Team Racing, is it a good game to play single player? Or is Crash just way too good and I should ignore the sonic game?

I see the game relies on team mechanics, does it get frustrating with the story mode? And how does it run on switch, is it better than Sonic and Sega All Stars on WiiU? Because that game had some serious framerate drops and it made it frustrating.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
How's the gameplay in ACIII? I haven't touched an AC since the 2nd and that was 10 years ago. I heard that the old formula feels dated...

The only AC I played was Black Flag, so I can't compare this one to the second game. That said, it doesn't feel very different from Black Flag when it comes to gameplay, and during the tutorial they mentioned how free movement was easier now in comparison to the previous games.

If you're looking for an evolution, I'm not sure you'll find it here. It's probably a slightly improved ACII with a different setting, but if you had fun with the second game and want more, you'll probably like it. Personally, I like the gameplay, even though it will probably get a bit repetitive after a few hours just like it did in Black Flag.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Almost never played a Sonic game before. I thought I might wait and see if this one comes to Game Pass eventually... I think I have Sonic 3/Knuckles on 360 BC on Xbox One. Is that similar enough that I should try it first?
Yeah Sonic 3 & Knuckles is great

Shame it isn't getting re-released anymore, I want a Sega Ages port so that we can have every classic Sonic game on Switch

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

All the mechanics and controls were reworked in AC3(and carried into Black Flag). Lot more automation when it comes to stealth, climbing, and other actions. For better and worse.

Ultimately the game's feel similar and you will still be scaling buildings, slicing necks, and sort of hiding among crowds or whatever, but AC3 opted to contextualize actions whereas you had more control over your actions in AC2. The way the controller and buttons sort of mirrored your different senses or limbs in AC2(triangle=vision, x=legs, square/circle certain hand actions) is altered to a more traditional scheme. Stealth kind of just happens now and you don't have as much finesse over it anymore with different walk states. Combat and tool use is altered as well, but ultimately its more of a lateral change.

I wasn't terribly fond of several of the changes and personally missed the 'hands-on' feel of AC2, but ultimately the games still feel pretty familiar all said and done. It's just more automated in 3 and 4 as best I can state. Preferences differed wildly between the two online even at the time AC3 launched back in 2012(!)

At this point, jumping in you probably will find AC3 mirrors your old memories of how AC2 felt unless you directly compare...

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Sonic 3 & Knuckles is great

Shame it isn't getting re-released anymore, I want a Sega Ages port so that we can have every classic Sonic game on Switch
Ok cool, thank you, I'll give it a whirl then and if I enjoy it I'll get Sonic Mania at some point. That's too bad to hear S3&K is no longer being re-released.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really tempted to pick up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I'm put off by the handheld resolution, is it better now compared to launch?

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Guys, I see Team Sonic Racing at less than half the price of Crash Team Racing, is it a good game to play single player? Or is Crash just way too good and I should ignore the sonic game?

I see the game relies on team mechanics, does it get frustrating with the story mode? And how does it run on switch, is it better than Sonic and Sega All Stars on WiiU? Because that game had some serious framerate drops and it made it frustrating.
There's very little in Team Sonic Racing to tide you over with. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Grab Crash if you can. Not only is there a single player campaign, but a bunch of new content that comes out every month as well.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It's a bit dated but still works well enough. The games haven't aged poorly or anything like that, they are just a bit stiffer then the more recent entries. The gameplay is still fun and engaging.

That said, the biggest issues with AC3 are more related to mission design, polish and story elements. Still a fun game, but I would recommend the Rebel collection over it, as both games (Black Flag and Rogue) are much better than 3.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I'm a SEGA nerd who loves Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and have zero nostalgia for the old Crash games, but Sonic Team Racing looks average at best and Crash Team Racing is a freaking great game.

Really tempted to pick up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I'm put off by the handheld resolution, is it better now compared to launch?

It's playable and was never a problem for me (played it for 200+ hours and it's my favorite Switch game), but if low resolution is a deal breaker for you... Well, it gets pretty bad at times.

Also, checklist for people interested in Xeno 2:
( ) You have a high tolerance for anime
( ) You're fine with lots of fetch quests MMO style
( ) Boobs, boobs, boobs
( ) Gacha mechanics

^ I'm fine with all of the above, so I had a blast with it!

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
There's very little in Team Sonic Racing to tide you over with. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Grab Crash if you can. Not only is there a single player campaign, but a bunch of new content that comes out every month as well.
I'm a SEGA nerd who loves Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and have zero nostalgia for the old Crash games, but Sonic Team Racing looks average at best and Crash Team Racing is a freaking great game.
Oh well, wanted to go with Sonic because that price is great, but guess I better go for Crash, thank you guys :)

I'm also picking Rayman Legends and Sonic Mania, I never played another main Sonic game before, so I'm excited to finally give the franchise a try.

There are still many big franchises I haven't played because I was always a Nintendo kid and I'll try to go through them this year, as I've seen them discounted frequently, like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and Spyro.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It's a bit dated but still works well enough. The games haven't aged poorly or anything like that, they are just a bit stiffer then the more recent entries. The gameplay is still fun and engaging.

That said, the biggest issues with AC3 are more related to mission design, polish and story elements. Still a fun game, but I would recommend the Rebel collection over it, as both games (Black Flag and Rogue) are much better than 3.

The problem of the rebel collection is the price. Even on sale, it's something like 40-ish Euros and I won't pay that much for an assassin's Creed. AC3 is 15 Euros, that's a safer investment I guess.

All the mechanics and controls were reworked in AC3(and carried into Black Flag). Lot more automation when it comes to stealth, climbing, and other actions. For better and worse.

Ultimately the game's feel similar and you will still be scaling buildings, slicing necks, and sort of hiding among crowds or whatever, but AC3 opted to contextualize actions whereas you had more control over your actions in AC2. The way the controller and buttons sort of mirrored your different senses or limbs in AC2(triangle=vision, x=legs, square/circle certain hand actions) is altered to a more traditional scheme. Stealth kind of just happens now and you don't have as much finesse over it anymore with different walk states. Combat and tool use is altered as well, but ultimately its more of a lateral change.

I wasn't terribly fond of several of the changes and personally missed the 'hands-on' feel of AC2, but ultimately the games still feel pretty familiar all said and done. It's just more automated in 3 and 4 as best I can state. Preferences differed wildly between the two online even at the time AC3 launched back in 2012(!)

At this point, jumping in you probably will find AC3 mirrors your old memories of how AC2 felt unless you directly compare...

Great answer mate, thank you. I may bite, I'm getting a little bit bored with my switch and haven't found a game interesting since The Touryst.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Thanks for sharing. It looks interesting, I'm curious to see how it plays and reviews. I gotta read the Florence review someone mentioned from NWR since I don't know much about that one either.

Thanks for sharing your impressions! Is the extent of the gameplay picking dialogue options, i.e. basic VN gameplay? Or are there other mechanics too?
It's very traditional in that sense. You just pick dialogue options.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
How are people playing Glass Masquerade 2 with regards the difficulty? I really struggled when I tried it on hard so I might complete it all on normal first then go back. Great idea though.

On hard and without that hint system that helps you place the first five pieces or so.

Feels just right and makes it a bit more challenging than the first game. I've only completed the first four puzzles though.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Using the current sales to fire up the Switch again after a few months of collecting dust.

Bought:
Sonic Mania
Runbow
My Brother Rabbit

I've got my eye on Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Any thoughts? Are they worth picking up for $5 a piece?
Child of the Light is definitely worth it at $5 since it's the Ultimate Edition which includes all of the DLC(an exra quest, additional skills, skins, more items, etc).

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks for the comments earlier, I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 2, looking forward to getting stuck in.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
That's what I'm hoping to. 60% even. But by E3, I hope there will be more games that will interest me. It's my first real draught since the release of the console. Even in 2018, there was great Indies which kept me busy.
That was my line of thinking. I know the game will be much cheaper in a few months, but in a few months there will be a ton other games to play and AC would probably end up in my backlog. The collection is easily worth the $30 anyway.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Wasn't there also a whole additional party member as well? Shale?
Maybe?
I just remember enjoying my (short) time with the game and this visual to promote the additional content.
child-of-light-ultimate-edition-review-switch-3.jpg

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
It's really dreadful on handheld mode but the game was good enough for me to not care so much about that. It looks great on a TV if you sit from a certain distance though.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's really dreadful on handheld mode but the game was good enough for me to not care so much about that. It looks great on a TV if you sit from a certain distance though.
Dreadful? People really like to exaggerate when it comes to describing handheld mode visuals. I played Xenoblade 2 and Torna hand-held only and it was perfectly fine. Ya'll out here using 4K/60FPS as a frame of reference. 🙄

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Dreadful? People really like to exaggerate when it comes to describing handheld mode visuals. I played Xenoblade 2 and Torna hand-held only and it was perfectly fine. Ya'll out here using 4K/60FPS as a frame of reference. 🙄
I have only ever played my Switch in handheld mode. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had some of the worst handheld resolution I have experienced on Switch. It's bad, like really bad. Looks terrible like 95% of the time.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Vitamin Connection is coming in five days I think. The most recent trailer looked good to me so I'll be interested in reading reviews.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
zakatana

What genres are your faves? I could give you some recommendations if you're struggling to find games to play on the Switch.