• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
warplanes-ww2-dogfight.jpg

*Attention* hidden gem recommendation here.

So I picked this game up yesterday and for $5 and I think it's surprisingly awesome so I wanted to share. If you're looking for something a little different give this one a shot. It's surprisingly tactical in that you are not only dog fighting but managing supplies, building out your base and putting together your squadron of warplanes, which includes training pilots in various skills such as gunner, pilot, bomber etc. Basically there is far more depth than I anticipated for a game like this. A very pleasant surprise, especially for the price. It's 50% off right now so nab it!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/warplanes-ww2-dogfight-switch/

*edit- looks like it's back to 9.99. Still worth it IMO but keep an eye on this one for the next sale.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is there some scheduled maintenance on the eShop ? It's been down for me in the UK for several hours, since the sale announcement at least.
if you are EVER wondering about ANY kind of Nintendo maintenance:
www.perfectly-nintendo.com

Upcoming Nintendo Maintenance (Nintendo Switch, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Mobile) - Perfectly Nintendo

In this post, you will find all the details about the upcoming maintenance: Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo eShop, web, and more!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Darkest Dungeon, the DLC and the Ancestral Edition are 40% off in EU, lowest ever I believe.

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
Recent game impressions:
198X - I went into this knowing nothing. The 80s look and sound is perfect. The actual games....well they were all short and mildly enjoyable. I think I beat it in 45 minutes. It was shockingly short. And I didn't love the voice actor, and the dialogue was cheese. 6/10

Bomb Chicken - only played 30 minutes but it's supercute pixel graphics, the "simple" bomb laying mechanic is deviously used and the game gets tricky fast. No score yet but I like it.

Due to impressions here and my never ending list for Metroidvanias, I just bought Kunai and it's installing :)

I have the following on my wish list - anyone here with a yes/no on these would be great!

-Knights and Bikes
-Stories Untold
-Coffee Talk

I like all genres except FPS/BR/Sports
Definitely yes to knights and bikes. It's great!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh didnt know Operencia was coming to the Switch

Played it on gamepass, it's really good.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Finally splurged on a 200GB MicroSD after having a 32GB since launch. Will be nice not having to shuffle downloads, plus it might actually increase my motivation to finish my damn backlog

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I bought Kunai last night (loooove Metroidvanias)
and my 15 minute impressions are:
-very unique graphics that look hand drawn sorta? Plus color of game is really neat like desaturated or something.

-music is an eargasm I am in love! Robot Chiptunes Goodness!

-controls of the Kunai (I had no idea this game used TWO grappling hooks omg) are fun but will take some getting used to. Having a left and right grapple hook I'm assuming this game is VERY vertically built which is sort of unique for the genre.

I am really pleasantly surprised by this so far. I have to run errands for a few hours but can't wait to dive into this later today.

Thanks for the recommendation Era. I may not have ever tried this if I hadn't heard of it here, as I didn't know of its existence until this thread :)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
A touch tangential but I think this is the best place to ask. Realized that if I want to replace my 2ds now is the best time to do it. Thinking the cheapest option is to get a refurbished new 2ds xl from Nintendo. Want the better form factor and I don't care about 3D. Mind you my 2ds is functional but no reason to take chances

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
A touch tangential but I think this is the best place to ask. Realized that if I want to replace my 2ds now is the best time to do it. Thinking the cheapest option is to get a refurbished new 2ds xl from Nintendo. Want the better form factor and I don't care about 3D. Mind you my 2ds is functional but no reason to take chances
Agreed. Refurbs from Nintendo are excellent. I've never been burned by purchasing a system from then, they come out Like New. They look like they've never been touched.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I was thinking how weird it was to never read anyone talk Bulletstorm in here, considering the game was pretty dope and great sp fps, it's also fairly priced (25€ for the Full Clip edition)... I had a blast with Wolf2 (despite its problems) and I'm enjoying CoJ Gunslinger, but I was hitching for something even more "all guns ablaze let's kick ass" mayhem so BS came to my mind, but then I remembered that

• I hate Gearbox
• looks really good but 30fps
• no freaking gyro aiming
• I hate Randy
• GYRO GYRO GYRO

...gyro

So yeah I'm stuck
and after wasting 20€ on REBELLION's SNIPER ELITE 3 I'm a bit weary...

How is Dead Cells performance now? Is it a stable 60fps in both handheld and docked?

Excellent performance.
But I've only played till "half" the game yet.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
not sure if this is the best place to say this but is it me or Into The Breach just owns everyone? I want to finish the first stage on normal without having any units dead but so far I haven't been to achieve that after 10 tries... :(

I've read about the game is difficult but I didn't think I would struggle like this on normal AT FIRST STAGE!
Yes. It's a tough tough game. It's okay to play on Easy mode. It's still tough and you'll likely finish more games.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking how weird it was to never read anyone talk Bulletstorm in here, considering the game was pretty dope and great sp fps, it's also fairly priced (25€ for the Full Clip edition)... I had a blast with Wolf2 (despite its problems) and I'm enjoying CoJ Gunslinger, but I was hitching for something even more "all guns ablaze let's kick ass" mayhem so BS came to my mind, but then I remembered that

• I hate Gearbox
• I hate Randy
• GYRO GYRO GYRO

...gyro

So yeah I'm stuck
and after wasting 20€ on REBELLION's SNIPER ELITE 3 I'm a bit weary...

Excellent performance.
But I've only played till "half" the game yet.
I love how Gearbox could have ported BORDERLANDS but went with Bulletstorm... it's like LA Noire being ported over GTA. Like it seems so crass as to be deliberate.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
According to NA eShop, Katana kami could have a day one western release next week. $29.99

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Bought Spyro on the sale and I'm loving the game.

That said, handheld visuals are a bit disappointing. I don't mind the blurriness too much, it's the low res artifacts that bother me the most. How is Crash trilogy in that department compared to Spyro? Does it have artifacts too?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The refurbished New 3DS (not the XL) I got from them was in amazing condition.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Agreed. Refurbs from Nintendo are excellent. I've never been burned by purchasing a system from then, they come out Like New. They look like they've never been touched.
The refurbished New 3DS (not the XL) I got from them was in amazing condition.
Yep that's why I'd go that way. I'm right on the edge though, I have a perfectly good 2ds(I mean the screen protectors need to be replaced), but on the flip side if I don't act now they'll just get rarer down the road and I can afford the $115 with my excellent tax return. Plus I'm hoping the better form factor will help me finish my backlog....

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I was thinking how weird it was to never read anyone talk Bulletstorm in here, considering the game was pretty dope and great sp fps, it's also fairly priced (25€ for the Full Clip edition)...

Yes!

but then I remembered that

• I hate Gearbox
• I hate Randy
• GYRO GYRO GYRO

And yes :(

Oh, I know you're a TwinBee fan, have you seen this?

Bought Spyro on the sale and I'm loving the game.

That said, handheld visuals are a bit disappointing. I don't mind the blurriness too much, it's the low res artifacts that bother me the most. How is Crash trilogy in that department compared to Spyro? Does it have artifacts too?

I played through Crash 1 and I'm now 30% into Crash 2. Both games look pretty good to me, but I've only played docked.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Actually i need to resist buying anymore hardware. What I should do is replace the touch screen screen protector on my 2ds and buy culdecept revolt instead

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Pop'n Twinbee is one I'm looking forward to.

Shadow of the Ninja is one of those games I've heard of but never got around despite hearing good things.

Weird how there's no 1st party titles but it's not a bad line-up thanks to those 2 games.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally jumped into Dead Cells.

And I finished it? There were only like three bosses. I haven't played any of the DLC content yet, but is that seriously it?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I really want to play RE4 portable, but I can't forgive Capcom for how disgusting their way of releasing this game on Switch was, and I certainly won't buy it for 20$ on Switch:

- Price increase from 20$ to 30$ for no reason at all, and without extra benefits. it is just like Capcom telling you to not buy their games on Switch, or that you are not an important customer to them. well, note taken, Capcom! I won't pay you.

- They KNOW storage is limited on Switch and yet they have done nothing to reduce the size of the game, why is the game 12GB? space is precious on Switch.

- They KNOW how important this game is for Ninty players, it was a GC exclusive, and Wii version widely considered to be the best version of the game, yet it was a very straight-forward port without support for any of the system's unique functions like HD Rumble, Motion Controls.

- The game do look good, but there is no reason why it couldn't be a native game on Switch, they didn't want to do even the minimum work for it.

The ONLY saving grace for it is the system's unique capability as both a console and a portable at the same time.

As much as I love RE4, I won't buy it until it is dirt cheap on Switch unless they patch in motion controls, which I'm sure they won't do.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I picked up Joe and Mac 2 for peanuts (same sale as the other Johnny Arcade titles), and wow, I had no idea it was a Bubble Bobble/Snow Bros. type game. I LOVE this genre of game.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I really need to get Rayman Legends one of these days, it keeps going 75% off, it has a ton of content, and I get pretty much every 2D game im interest on Switch, and for whatever reason I keep not biting the bullet on this one /shrug

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
3000th Duel now has a 20% launch discount. Seems to have good reviews on Steam, its a 2d Souls-y metroidvania.

Also, its a meaty one because it's like 20+ hours like a Souls game, not 6-8 like a metroidvania

DKoops

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Japanese downloads for February 13

- Pokemon Home
- It came from space and ate our brains (1799 yen)
- The Childs Sight (499 yen)
- Florence (700 yen)
- Deadlings (549 yen)
- Little Racer (1099 yen)
- SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (999 yen)
- Super Tennis Blast (1200 yen)
- Arcade Archives Sasuke VS Commander (838 yen)
- Everything (1480 yen)
- Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix (6589 yen)
- Railway Empire (5280 yen, available Feb. 14)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

And I finished it? There were only like three bosses. I haven't played any of the DLC content yet, but is that seriously it?

Yea, I've been playing it too. After not making a dent in the game at launch, I was shocked how easy it is now. At least with turrets. Expected the game to keep going after that final boss as well, but there are plenty of optional hidden ones I guess.

Make sure you get all the upgrade runes and then try the various routes to find lots of secret stuff and keep spending cells on stuff. I was actually kind of shocked at how much is hidden in the game as I keep playing. So many optional levels I didn't even know existed until I got the rune upgrades. Then there is trhe boss cell difficulties which I think add more stuff.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Snack World releasing in one day with nary a review in sight? Another "good but not great" Level-5 game being sent out to die I guess.

You may have already noticed this, but you can stick the boss cell you got from beating the final boss into that machine in the starting area to increase the difficulty, which from what I've seen also adds several new enemy types. I cruised through the initial run but now the game's giving me a run for my money.