• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
I own both of those - here are some not-asked-for impressions!

Children of Morta, I have onnPC and personally love it. It's a rogue like with permanent progression and a really different approach to storytelling. I heard Switch had some pretty big performance issues and a patch was being worked on but I don't know if that has released yet. 8/10

Neo Cab - I have this on Switch and have played an hour. It's really cool. The whole night time driving in a neon ish city is a cool vibe. The conversations and characters have me very interested, and the "gameplay" is an odd mood ring where your emotions (happy, angry, lethargic etc) change as you talk to people. The emotional state affects what you can say and really takes this out of "visual novel" territory into something more hands on. You get paid by riders and have to buy gas and sleep. Riders also rate you and you are trying to get the best ratings. There is a larger story at play as well. Honestly it's enrapturing, unique, and I need to get back to it. Highly recommended at any price lol 9/10

Not at all mate, I appreciate your impressions, thanks. I think I'll go with Neo Cab just now as I really like the sound of it, and there's a demo as well I noticed, so win-win situation.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Darksiders Genesis Switch gameplay. Looks like 30 FPS to me. Also seems like they cut shadows completely? Not a looker.

Last edited:

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if the Civ 6 DLC goes on sale when the main game is on sale?
Civ 6 is on sale now at 50% off (25€), the Expansion Pack isn't (it's never been on sale and is 40€ like it was when it released on november 21st 2019)
Ah that's annoying. I wondered if they might discount the DLC with the main game being reduced. Thanks for the reply!
It has been on sale a couple of times in NA already (was just last week I think). Hopefully other regions will get a sale soon. I think it was 30% off if I remember correctly.

Oct 26, 2017
Turing Test ist actually quite good. Some performance issues aside. Just a shame that the in-game texts are so low Res. Makes it hard to read some of the documents. But I had a lot of fun. The puzzles are clever and the writing is very good.

Dec 2, 2019
It has been on sale a couple of times in NA already (was just last week I think). Hopefully other regions will get a sale soon. I think it was 30% off if I remember correctly.
Yeah sorry, I must've added I was referring to Europe only.

It's not that I forget US is a thing, it's just that I track european prices because I'm from Italy lol

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Don't sleep on Darksiders: Genesis, I'm buying it again for my Switch if it's technically solid. I really loved this game on PC. One of the most fun action games I've played in a while. Great visuals and an amazing score by Gareth Coker who also did the Ori soundtrack. It is a fairly meaty game with lots of great levels and some well animated beasties to slay. Two different characters with distinctly different play styles to switch between (or play coop) mix up the flow, but you can choose to play your preferred character most of the time if you want and only switch for some occasional puzzle solving which requires character specific abilities. I liked playing both War and Strife.
Published by 8chan enablers THQ Nordic though.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
giphy.gif

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'd bite on Sonic Forces at the price it's currently going for on Steam. C'mon Sega, you already did a permanent price cut on Switch.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Guys, it's totally fine to boycott THQ Nordic games (I am boycotting them) and post reminders about all the 8chan stuff, but I think we should not quote other users as if they're criminals or something just because they buy THQ Nordic games.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Guys, it's totally fine to boycott THQ Nordic games (I am boycotting them) and post reminders about all the 8chan stuff, but I think we should not quote other users who bought the game as if they were criminals or something just because they buy THQ Nordic games.
Sorry if it looked like that, wasn't my intention.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah sorry, I must've added I was referring to Europe only.

It's not that I forget US is a thing, it's just that I track european prices because I'm from Italy lol
-25% according to Deku Deals, it's however worth noting that the game (or rather, expansion pack) is usually 50$ dollars in the US as opposed to 40€ in EU. So actually a better Euro price for once.

edit: sorry for DP

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Should I get both of these?
yes (fixed)
Thanks for the detailed feedback! Guess I'll give it a try.
AC III is one of my favorite AssCreeds and I enjoyed it all the way through, "slow" start and all (played the great Wii U port, only dabbled briefly in the Switch port).
: /

Speaking of Shibata, he made a special guest appearance at the latest investors briefing. Maybe we should bribe an investor to ask him to come back to Frankfurt :P
If you offer to sing Karaoke with him maybe...

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Someone is playing a Switch on the train here. This is the third time I've seen someone doing so this week. But until this week I've never seen someone with a Switch on this train before, and almost never seen someone playing one in public to begin with.

Can anyone share impressions on The Room? I don't want to watch videos because they might spoil some puzzles :P

Played it on mobile a few years ago and it was pretty solid, maybe 7/10 for me. I didn't love it but it reminds me of the puzzles you'd find in a real life escape room. I have seen a lot of favorable impressions of it on ERA though so I think my experience with it was less common.

Seconding SuperCharlie78's request for Florence impressions.

Any thoughts on Aggelos for 40% off or Oceanhorn for 50% off?

Oct 29, 2017
I played Florence on iOS and despite it being super short, it's one of the most charming gaming experiences I've played. So well done and I can highly recommend it.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm so close to buying Dead Cells...is it 60fps docked and handheld? Also how does it look on a 4KTV? I own base game on PS4 and PC but as always, the Switch portability factor has me wanting it here!

re: Goblin Sword - I played years ago on IOS and liked it. Colorful platformer collectathon that seems like a no brainer at 2.99 on Switch :)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so close to buying Dead Cells...is it 60fps docked and handheld? Also how does it look on a 4KTV? I own base game on PS4 and PC but as always, the Switch portability factor has me wanting it here!

Playing it a lot since new DLC and both portable and docked look and play great. I mostly play on a 4K TV.

Dec 2, 2019
Could you recommend some good Switch YT channels?

I just watched a hidden gems episode on Switch Up and it was good.

I follow Switch Planet too, mostly for their weekly footage of the games releasing the week after.

Any other good recommendations would be appreciated.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

I follow Switch Planet too, mostly for their weekly footage of the games releasing the week after.

Mine are:
SwitchUP
Switch Watch
Gamexplain
Switch Planet
Budget Gamer (not just Switch but it's good)
RGT 85
Arlo

I just did googling a year ago and these are what I found. Of course not everyone will like all of them, but these are at least what I use and overall gets me a good amount of news, reviews, sales etc.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I played Florence on iOS and despite it being super short, it's one of the most charming gaming experiences I've played. So well done and I can highly recommend it.
Only played about an hour of it, but seems like an alright Monster Boy clone. Very retro look and feel but it has solid Steam reviews iirc.
I enjoyed them both as games inspired by Monster Boy and Zelda respectively. They aren't in the same league, as one would imagine, but they are of good quality, easily worth both sale prices.
Thanks all for your impressions - Phil, I'll go look on your site for reviews. ^^

Edit - found great reviews of Aggelos and Oceanhorn on SuperPhillipCentral:

The SPC Review Archive

The full list of every review written by the SuperPhillip Central staff is right at your fingertips!

This is a link to all of the reviews on the site. I really enjoy reading the reviews on Phil's site a ton. He gets quite in-depth in his analysis abd you can see he gives each game a real chance to win him over. I've been enjoying using this site for reviews for a long time but I haven't seen it posted here much, so I thought I'd share it. Keep up the awesome work Phil32 !

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

Switched On is a good one. One of the few Youtubers who focuses on the game rather than making sure their face is always in the video.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Nabbit That's mighty kind of you to write! Thank you. That made my day. :)

My pleasure! Thanks for making and maintaining such an awesome site. It's fun for me to even read the reviews of games I've already played, like Kung Fu Rabbit or Elliot Quest, since I know our tastes are similar and it gives me some enjoyable nostalgia for the game.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Played it on mobile a few years ago and it was pretty solid, maybe 7/10 for me. I didn't love it but it reminds me of the puzzles you'd find in a real life escape room. I have seen a lot of favorable impressions of it on ERA though so I think my experience with it was less common.

(...)

Any thoughts on Aggelos for 40% off or Oceanhorn for 50% off?

The Room looks like a game I can play in portable mode for 15 minutes, forget about it for weeks and then get back to it and play for 15 minutes again. Well, I play my Switch docked 95% of the time, but every few weeks I get 15 minutes to kill in portable mode, so it looks like a good match. But thanks for sharing your opinion! If it ends up being s a 7.5 for me, it will be good enough for my rare portable sessions.

Regarding Oceanhorn, I think there's a demo available (I remember playing it, not sure if on Switch or Steam). Well, I found the gameplay very boring... Maybe you should give the demo a try, in case you haven't.

AC III is one of my favorite AssCreeds and I enjoyed it all the way through, "slow" start and all (played the great Wii U port, only dabbled briefly in the Switch port).

I got it, downloading it right now. And as a huge Xenoblade X fan, I'm used to liking games with a "slow" start ^_^

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I pre-ordered Darksiders Genesis: Nephilim edition but Amazon doesn't want to ship it as it looks right now. Don't know if I should double dip digitally or not.

I'm honestly more so interested in Nephilim for the board game.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Voxelgram just showed up on the eShop, it looks like 3D picross if I've ever seen one.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Mine are:
SwitchUP
Switch Watch
Gamexplain
Switch Planet
Budget Gamer (not just Switch but it's good)
RGT 85
Arlo

I just did googling a year ago and these are what I found. Of course not everyone will like all of them, but these are at least what I use and overall gets me a good amount of news, reviews, sales etc.

I agree with these. Can't go wrong.

I also enjoy Commonwealth Realm, they have lots of Zelda videos, Zelda rumours, speculation etc. Which is quite fun if you're a fan. And other Switch related stuff.

I like 8-Bit Eric too. He looks at loads of Switch games that might fly under the radar otherwise, like Budget Gamer.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Question about Dead Cells progression. I've been through most areas and feel like I've explored most everything outside the new DLC. Haven't beat the Giant boss yet, though. Am I supposed to be enabling the Boss thingies I earn that make the game more difficult? I assume this would earn me better gear as well.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Skyrim and the Witcher 3 are both the cheapest they've ever been. I haven't played either, so I'm wondering which I should get. I'm leaning towards Witcher because combat and story seem to be much better?

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Thinking on biting on CIV 6 this time. Any pro / cons regarding this decision? :D
(only placed CIV on PC, haven't played 6 yet though)

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Just a reminder that Yoku's Island Express is on sale and it's one of the best and most innovative metroidvanias of this gen.

Also, it looks and performs great on the Switch.

Dec 2, 2019
Just a reminder that Yoku's Island Express is on sale and it's one of the best and most innovative metroidvanias of this gen.

Also, it looks and performs great on the Switch.
I agree. Yoku's Island Express is great and I enjoyed every bit of it, I'm a fan, too.

I've already mentioned it, but I really want to recommend Slime-san more prominently.

At its current price this game is an absolute must. I can't stress enough how incredibly well made this game is.
It's a platformer with a retro aesthetic that runs great. Levels are made of 4 single screens with a focus on speedrunning, which is when the game really shines with its great level design. New mechanics are introduced at a great pace and the game takes advantage of them thoroughly. By the time you reach the end you'll feel like a master.

There are great boss fights, a hub with a lot of absolutely bonkers characters, a FANTASTIC chiptune OST, and more stuff!
I didn't even try the other playable characters with completely different skills.

Above all, the game got a huge free update with even more levels, bosses, tracks. Lovely.

This game really has a place in my heart, it represents that intimate feeling with devs that only indie games can provide. It's well worth its normal price, but at 4,79€ this is a steal.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I agree. Yoku's Island Express is great and I enjoyed every bit of it, I'm a fan, too.

I've already mentioned it, but I really want to recommend Slime-san more prominently.

At its current price this game is an absolute must. I can't stress enough how incredibly well made this game is.
It's a platformer with a retro aesthetic that runs great. Levels are made of 4 single screens with a focus on speedrunning, which is when the game really shines with its great level design. New mechanics are introduced at a great pace and the game takes advantage of them thoroughly. By the time you reach the end you'll feel like a master.

There are great boss fights, a hub with a lot of absolutely bonkers characters, a FANTASTIC chiptune OST, and more stuff!
I didn't even try the other playable characters with completely different skills.

Above all, the game got a huge free update with even more levels, bosses, tracks. Lovely.

This game really has a place in my heart, it represents that intimate feeling with devs that only indie games can provide. It's well worth its normal price, but at 4,79€ this is a steal.

For someone that enjoyed a lot The End is Nigh, do you think I wil enjoy Slime San?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Wait, Yoku is now sold below 5 euros and there are still people that need convincing?
No joke, this game is EASILY in the top 15 of the system, arguably top 10 as far as I'm concerned. Perfect length, perfect gameplay loop, great visuals and atmosphere... And there's even a freaking demo!
Please buy this game, good sirs and madams.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the OP has "Departure" linked. I definitely like the "Awakening Will" variation in Zero 2 as well.