• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Nindie of December

• Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King

Votes: 189 22.0%
  • Enter The Gungeon

Votes: 417 48.5%
  • Floor Kids

Votes: 61 7.1%
  • Gorogoa

Votes: 140 16.3%
  • Tiny Metal

Votes: 52 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
All Darkest Dungeon beginners should start in Radiant Mode. It's NOT easy mode, enemies are the same and deal the same damage, but it changes the game so it's balanced to require less grind so it can be beat faster (20-30 hours instead of 50+). It makes more a more frequently rewarding experience that players still learning the systems will appreciate.
Good to know. Thanks!

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
- Icons

darkestdungeon2bswh.jpg
gunhousecbssg.jpg
nightmareboy8cs98.jpg
energybalancem4sts.jpg

worldtothewest97s9y.jpg
innerspace1yswn.jpg
oh...sirthehollywoodr1nss6.jpg
oh...sirtheinsultsimuv4s5m.jpg

ambitionoftheslimesf5sag.jpg
arcadearchivesdoubledo2s6f.jpg
acaneogeopowerspikesi6esy5.jpg
qbiky6s9t.jpg

vestah1se7.jpg
talesofthetinyplanet8asho.jpg
baseballriot7tsy1.jpg
nuclienubs0y.jpg

- Japan

mercenariessagachroni0csnc.jpg
vvvvvvjphqsdp.jpg

- Games without name:

Darkest Dungeon (Row 1)
Oh...Sir! The Hollywood Roast (Row 2)
Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator (Row 2)
Qbik (Row 3)
Tales of the Tiny Planets (Row 4)
Nuclien (Row 4)

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Darkest Dungeon looks fine on my TV at 720p, only thing I wish was that the text in popups was a little bigger

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I like to check my games regularly for updates. noticed today that:
The Next Penelope (1.0.1 -> 1.0.2)
Volgarr The Viking (1.36e -> 1.36f)
got updated very recently. not sure what was added/fixed, though.

I hadn't tried it before bow but Penelope might have gotten video recording with this update. Volgarr did not, I checked.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else looking forward to Yoku's Island Express? It's an open world pinball adventure game. Yeah, you read that correctly.

I really hope it turns out well, because the premise is extremely interesting and it's a gorgeous looking game. Supposed to launch sometime this year.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else looking forward to Yoku's Island Express? It's an open world pinball adventure game. Yeah, you read that correctly.

I really hope it turns out well, because the premise is extremely interesting and it's a gorgeous looking game. Supposed to launch sometime this year.

Hot damn! That looks beautiful and reminds me quite a bit of Ori and the Blind Forest. Not quite sure how I'd feel about the whole pinball mechanic, but it's definitely on my radar now! That and Celeste...

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Nightmare Boy looks very interesting to me. I've looked it over a few times in the eshop. Had this launched anywhere else / has anyone here played it?

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017

It's been on my radar for a while. It looks delightfully charming. I'm hoping that it plays as good as it looks.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
From this Darkest Dungeon review:

https://www.gamespace.com/darkest-dungeon/review-nintendo-switch/
On the Switch, my biggest complaints are twofold – firstly, the text in handheld mode can be way too small at times. Secondly, the control-scheme of navigating menus is unintuitive at best. DD is menu-heavy, and it's all too easy to press the wrong thing, or have no clue how to access a part of the menu. Thankfully the touch controls on the Switch help somewhat. The rest of the game's best features – its strategic and satisfying combat, heavy RPG systems, and intensely unfolding story, are all intact.

For those here who have tried it, what do you think?

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Darkest Dungeon controls work, but the interface was designed with a controller in mind.
I have no problem playing it

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017

This looks charming as heck. Interested to hear how it plays.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Seeing some bad reports on Zero Gunner 2 in Japan. Probably should wait to see if that's ironed out before getting it next week.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Zero Gunner 2 is a really fun shmup (it auto scrolls but you can rotate your helicopter in 360 degrees which is a fun little twist) and at $7.99 is a bargain since the Dreamcast version is a minimum of about $150 and runs as high as $300 depending on condition. Strikers 1945 II is also a really solid sequel to the original with even better ship and power up variety, nowhere near as pricey but also a bargain at $7.99. I just hope ZeroDiv also plans on releasing Strikers 1999 as that one never got a home release.

Seeing some bad reports on Zero Gunner 2 in Japan. Probably should wait to see if that's ironed out before getting it next week.

What kind of issues are being reported?

Last edited:

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Zero Gunner 2 is a really fun shmup (it auto scrolls but you can rotate your helicopter in 360 degrees which is a fun little twist) and at $7.99 is a bargain since the Dreamcast version is a minimum of about $150 and runs as high as $300 depending on condition. Strikers 1945 II is also a really solid sequel to the original with even better ship and power up variety, nowhere near as pricey but also a bargain at $7.99. I just hope ZeroDiv also plans on releasing Strikers 1999 as that one never got a home release.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dwrkoa/status/953818566628818945

Update: this is a pretty lazy/bad port. - Enemy polygons don't animate correctly. Hell, the Energy icons don't even spawn on the enemies like the NAOMI/DC version does. - HP values for bosses are way off, even in Arcade Difficulty. Bosses die within 10 seconds w/ Apache.

More at the link...

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
https://mobile.twitter.com/dwrkoa/status/953818566628818945

Update: this is a pretty lazy/bad port. - Enemy polygons don't animate correctly. Hell, the Energy icons don't even spawn on the enemies like the NAOMI/DC version does. - HP values for bosses are way off, even in Arcade Difficulty. Bosses die within 10 seconds w/ Apache.

More at the link...

Damn!! That sucks.

Wow I never realised the Dreamcast copy was sold for so much. My copy alongside all my Dreamcast shooters are in crystal condition.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Same here! I really hope we get it ported to Switch one day. It might even work surprisingly well with Joycons.

A sequel is probably a bit much to hope for though.

Agreed, that would be awesome. Any chance when you played was the Wii pointer sensitivity too high no matter what you did? I have an Afterglow WiiMote but I just can't seem to get the settings fully right.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
From this Darkest Dungeon review:

https://www.gamespace.com/darkest-dungeon/review-nintendo-switch/

For those here who have tried it, what do you think?

My initial impressions - the text is small but legible on the handheld, sharp and clear (as are the graphics, very crisp), but again, small. Not the end of the world for me, but it could be larger, sure. I'll be fine as it is though. On the monitor, at 720p, it looks fuzzier than I hoped. Handheld is definitely more enjoyable to play right now. They need to patch the docked gameplay to 1080p, or at least 900p, that will make it much better on larger screens.

Game feels and looks really responsive on the Switch, hopefully I don't have any crashes like mentioned earlier.

Oct 31, 2017
Nine Parchments has been updated: https://www.nintendo-insider.com/nine-parchments-update-version-1-0-1-introduces-multiple-saves/

This introduces multiple saves, which has been the main criticism that has been directed at the game since it released. Your save will no longer be wiped when disconnecting from an online game, and you will no longer need to wait for others to join you in the lobby before setting out on an adventure.
If I can resume local wireless games this will go to back to the top of the heap for me.

surr

Oct 27, 2017
Debating if I should double dip on Darkest Dungeon. I played the iPad version for a bit and got frustrated at dealing with stress. For $25 not sure if I enjoyed it enough to try again when I can use that for Celeste.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Another update on Zero Gunner 2, per the Tweet linked below, ZeroDiv's president stated on their company blog the game is not even a port of the game because they didn't have the original development assets and had to resort to making their own version of the game from scratch. I'm definitely not buying this and will just stick with the DC version.

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/953980651128086528

This is pretty bad PR for Zero Div and although it's not the same situation this also makes me question about now how accurate their other Switch Psikyo releases like Strikers 1945 and Gunbird actually are.

Last edited:

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, that would be awesome. Any chance when you played was the Wii pointer sensitivity too high no matter what you did? I have an Afterglow WiiMote but I just can't seem to get the settings fully right.
It's been a while since I last played but I don't recall having problems with the sensitivity of the controls.
Took a bit to figure things out and get the hang of it, but that was on me.
It might indeed be the controller...

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Another update on Zero Gunner 2, per the Tweet linked below, ZeroDiv's president stated on their company blog the game is not even a port of the game because they didn't have the original development assets and had to resort to making their own version of the game from scratch.

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/953980651128086528

This is pretty bad PR for Zero Div and also makes me question about now how accurate their other Switch Psikyo releases like Strikers 1945 and Gunbird actually are.

Damn.. i am sitting on a gold mine with my original copy :)