• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Sniper Elite 2 and I had a blast with it. I understand the critics giving the game 6-7 scores, but to me it's a solid 8/10. It has aged a bit and the movement is a little stiff, but the sniping gunplay is spot on and incredibly satisfying.

Biggest issue with the game is that the stealth doesn't really work well. The AI is to erratic and frustrating. In that regard, it's different from SE3 and SE4 because you can't really play it like a true stealth game, even though there are elements of it and you can use it occasionally. The game is at its best when you are put in a large area full of enemies and there are sounds on the background (like bombs dropping) masking your sniper shots, so you have to wait the right moment to pick off soldiers one by one. Fun, fun stuff. I also really like the setting. It's WW2 but really the beginning of the Cold War, so you will fight Russians just as much as nazis, and sometimes be in the middle of the conflict. Much more interesting than the afrikan setting of SE3. Kind of reminds me of the old Medal of Honor games, that put a single soldier infiltrating nazi camps and that sort of thing, as opposed to the big conflicts of Call of Duty and more recent WW2 games.

Now on to finish Sniper Elite 3, then I will take a break before diving into 4 (which I just bought). I'm glad Rebellion decided to port these games to Switch, otherwise I would never know the franchise.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So apparently some games use the joycon gyros even in docked mode? So it's basically also unplayable with the Hori dpad or the split pad pro, I take it?

would not say unplayable but they definitely need to give a warning on the eShop page that gyro aiming/motion controls are not supported for Switch Lite, since nobody would assume as such considering most (all?) other titles do have them.

Don't have the split pad pro but I'll try OG Switch+Hori Dpad tonight, who knows maybe Joycon R is enough

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Just finished Sniper Elite 2 and I had a blast with it. I understand the critics giving the game 6-7 scores, but to me it's a solid 8/10. It has aged a bit and the movement is a little stiff, but the sniping gunplay is spot on and incredibly satisfying.

Biggest issue with the game is that the stealth doesn't really work well. The AI is to erratic and frustrating. In that regard, it's different from SE3 and SE4 because you can't really play it like a true stealth game, even though there are elements of it and you can use it occasionally. The game is at its best when you are put in a large area full of enemies and there are sounds on the background (like bombs dropping) masking your sniper shots, so you have to wait the right moment to pick off soldiers one by one. Fun, fun stuff. I also really like the setting. It's WW2 but really the beginning of the Cold War, so you will fight Russians just as much as nazis, and sometimes be in the middle of the conflict. Much more interesting than the afrikan setting of SE3. Kind of reminds me of the old Medal of Honor games, that put a single soldier infiltrating nazi camps and that sort of thing, as opposed to the big conflicts of Call of Duty and more recent WW2 games.

Now on to finish Sniper Elite 3, then I will take a break before diving into 4 (which I just bought). I'm glad Rebellion decided to port these games to Switch, otherwise I would never know the franchise.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I've seen the Sniper Elite name many times, but I was never interested enough to do some research on it. However, reading your posts, the games look very interesting! I have too many games to play right now, but I might give Sniper Elite 2 a try next time it goes on sale.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Am I reading the prepurchase of DMC3 on the NA eshop right? A 50% discount on DMC 1 or 2 if I buy 3? I thought it was a 25% discount on 3 if we bought 1 or 2? I already bought 1 :(

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Am I reading the prepurchase of DMC3 on the NA eshop right? A 50% discount on DMC 1 or 2 if I buy 3? I thought it was a 25% discount on 3 if we bought 1 or 2? I already bought 1 :(

if you have 1, 2 is 50% off and 3 is 25% off

if you have 2, 1 is 50% off and 3 is 25% off

if you have 3, 1 and 2 are 50% off

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I've seen the Sniper Elite name many times, but I was never interested enough to do some research on it. However, reading your posts, the games look very interesting! I have too many games to play right now, but I might give Sniper Elite 2 a try next time it goes on sale.

Sniper Elite 3 is still the better game mind you, so if you're only getting one, I suggest 3.

And in case someone doesn't know, the games are 50% off right now.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Seconded. Twinbee developed into a great and unique shmup series.
Dash Kappei I've always wanted to play Rainbow Bell Adventures. I was disappointed when it never made it to VC. I'm gonna import it for SFC sometime...

Edit: come to think of it the only Twinbee I've played is the 3D one since it was on the 3DS ElectricBlanketFire sent me five years ago or so. I never got very far in it but it's definitely addictive. While we have you here EBF, are you a big fan of the series?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Dash Kappei I've always wanted to play Rainbow Bell Adventures. I was disappointed when it never made it to VC. I'm gonna import it for SFC sometime...

Edit: come to think of it the only Twinbee I've played is the 3D one since it was on the 3DS ElectricBlanketFire sent me five years ago or so. I never got very far in it but it's definitely addictive. While we have you here EBF, are you a big fan of the series?

Truthfully, it's the only game in the series I've played, but I love it.

And you paid good money for the 3DS.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I was very surprised to see a Crayon Shin-chan game on the US eShop, though not so surprised when I saw it's a low-budget port of a mobile endless runner. Still, seeing as it appeared to basically be a reskin of another mobile game by Bushiroad that I enjoy (Detective Conan/Case Closed Runner) I went ahead and picked it up. $10 is still probably asking a little much for what it is, but it's actually got more depth to it than you'd expect at first glance.

SiyYMcBl.jpg

Basically, it's a standard endless runner where you play as Shin-chan and collect a bunch of sweets scattered throughout the stage, with the only twist being that you can hold A after a jump to start spinning (or do some other goofy animation) to double the points of anything you collect while doing it. The main gameplay hook comes in the form of the unlockables, as there are a ton of alternate costumes to purchase and level up that all give various score multipliers or special abilities. You can dress him in pajamas or hip-hop clothes, put him in cowboy gear, make him wear a shrimp outfit... if you can think of a stupid costume for Shin-chan to wear, it's probably in here.

fybEGBal.jpg

You can have one of Shin-chan's buddies come along for the ride with their own score modifier, and you can also bring up to three adults along who will cheer him on for a bit at the start of each stage and provide a bonus while they're active (my personal favorite being Mitzi's "Fat-Ass Auntie" skill for the name alone). Each stage has three rewards to obtain by reaching a certain high score, one of which is usually a new alternate skill to equip one of the adults with. Stages go on forever until you die, but you unlock new ones by getting more costumes. They're separated into Normal and Movie stages, the latter of which are themed after the many Crayon Shin-chan films like Battle of the Warring States and The Adult Empire Strikes Back.

7cZ7Cswl.jpg

Overall I think it's pretty fun and not at all the shovelware I expected it to be. If you like the series or just want a brainless runner to play while listening to a podcast or something, I'd recommend it.

Any impressions for Puzzles & Dragons Gold?

It's $10 for a reason. Extremely barebones story mode, no leveling up or evolving monsters, just a singular focus on 1v1 online battles where you will be steamrolled if you're not a pro. It's basically the Puyo Puyo Champions of Puzzle & Dragons. If that not what you're looking for then you're probably better off sticking with the mobile game or the 3DS version.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My apologies, I haven't had time to play it yet. Some people have posted impressions and the changes seem minor -- the devs said beforehand that 1.03 was the big one and that seems to be the case. I'll post my thoughts after I've had a chance to play it. I did get a ways into the pre-1.03 version so I should get a sense of the changes.
I was very surprised to see a Crayon Shin-chan game on the US eShop, though not so surprised when I saw it's a low-budget port of a mobile endless runner. Still, seeing as it appeared to basically be a reskin of another mobile game by Bushiroad that I enjoy (Detective Conan/Case Closed Runner) I went ahead and picked it up. $10 is still probably asking a little much for what it is, but it's actually got more depth to it than you'd expect at first glance.

SiyYMcBl.jpg

Basically, it's a standard endless runner where you play as Shin-chan and collect a bunch of sweets scattered throughout the stage, with the only twist being that you can hold A after a jump to start spinning (or do some other goofy animation) to double the points of anything you collect while doing it. The main gameplay hook comes in the form of the unlockables, as there are a ton of alternate costumes to purchase and level up that all give various score multipliers or special abilities. You can dress him in pajamas or hip-hop clothes, put him in cowboy gear, make him wear a shrimp outfit... if you can think of a stupid costume for Shin-chan to wear, it's probably in here.

fybEGBal.jpg

You can have one of Shin-chan's buddies come along for the ride with their own score modifier, and you can also bring up to three adults along who will cheer him on for a bit at the start of each stage and provide a bonus while they're active (my personal favorite being Mitzi's "Fat-Ass Auntie" skill for the name alone). Each stage has three rewards to obtain by reaching a certain high score, one of which is usually a new alternate skill to equip one of the adults with. Stages go on forever until you die, but you unlock new ones by getting more costumes. They're separated into Normal and Movie stages, the latter of which are themed after the many Crayon Shin-chan films like Battle of the Warring States and The Adult Empire Strikes Back.

7cZ7Cswl.jpg

Overall I think it's pretty fun and not at all the shovelware I expected it to be. If you like the series or just want a brainless runner to play while listening to a podcast or something, I'd recommend it.

It's $10 for a reason. Extremely barebones story mode, no leveling up or evolving monsters, just a singular focus on 1v1 online battles where you will be steamrolled if you're not a pro. It's basically the Puyo Puyo Champions of Puzzle & Dragons. If that not what you're looking for then you're probably better off sticking with the mobile game or the 3DS version.
Thank you for the impressions. I opened the eShop and did a double take when I saw the Shin-chan game. I thought I accidentally loaded up my Japanese profile. I'm a bit disappointed that it's a port of a mobile game, given that Shin-chan actually did get some decent platformers back in the day.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

Let's say the difference between the one you mention and Detana!! (or, ugh, Bells & Whistles...) is that of a mid-gen 8-bit game versus late-gen 16 bit (it's an arcade release from 1991).

Anyway, Rainbow Bells Adventures DID in fact come out on Wii U's Virtual Console in the summer of 2014 but unfortunately only in Japan and Europe (50Hz only and the gameplay/progress has some differences) which is why you may have missed it.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
So far Super Crush KO is everything I wanted a successor to Graceful Explosion Machine to be. It's literally that game but reimagined as a brawler. It's got more of that same zen-like flow and soft feel that I've waited three years for. So many of its basic gameplay mechanics are lifted straight from GEM so everything seems instantly familiar and yet somehow new all at once.

So if you liked GEM, buy Super Crush KO immediately.

It's sooooo good.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the impressions. I opened the eShop and did a double take when I saw the Shin-chan game. I thought I accidentally loaded up my Japanese profile. I'm a bit disappointed that it's a port of a mobile game, given that Shin-chan actually did get some decent platformers back in the day.

Yeah, I need another one of those awesome GBA Inti Creates platformers. Still, I give them props for actually putting in some effort here. I gave the free mobile version a spin and it's a lot more basic as there's only the option to start a random run instead of having a list of different stages to pick from, plus the Switch version is vastly improved by not having the typical shameless F2P trappings like stamina and premium currency that force you to grind for the costumes.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I just finished Tangle Tower. I absolutely loved it until I got to the ending, which is pretty anticlimactic. It's a very "human" ending, but I think it could have been a bit more fleshed out. Everything before that was great though. The art is super charming and there's a lot of humour in the writing, especially if you present everything to everyone. Totally worth it for visual novel/point and click/murder mystery fans (it reminded me a lot of Professor Layton and Ace Attorney at times).

One odd thing and one thing my art experience must criticize:
1. You could never replace paint with blood and not expect the artist to notice. The fact that Felix outright said he noticed the replaced red "paint" (blood) was more viscous than the other red paint had me staring at the screen in bafflement. Paint straight out of a tube or bottle is thick as hell. You have to thin it if you want it to be anywhere near water. Especially since Freya had to have been using oils, as you could never use watercolours or acrylics on that style of palette. /nerd criticism

2. The game just never acknowledges that the "cliffs" around the lake are the remains of a giant eggshell, eh

Last edited:

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
So far Super Crush KO is everything I wanted a successor to Graceful Explosion Machine to be. It's literally that game but reimagined as a brawler. It's got more of that same zen-like flow and soft feel that I've waited three years for. So many of its basic gameplay mechanics are lifted straight from GEM so everything seems instantly familiar and yet somehow new all at once.

So if you liked GEM, buy Super Crush KO immediately.

It's sooooo good.

This is how I feel about the game as well. It's absolutely delightful and it almost feels as if it's the sequel to GEM.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I got Luminees remastered and the game is super fun, great visuals and awesome music. I was missing a puzzle game like that on the console (I can't really play Tetris 99 because WiFi is very weak at my house)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I got Luminees remastered and the game is super fun, great visuals and awesome music. I was missing a puzzle game like that on the console (I can't really play Tetris 99 because WiFi is very weak at my house)

I remember skipping Lumines when it went on sale the first time because people complained about loading times and framerate. Has that been fixed?

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I remember skipping Lumines when it went on sale the first time because people complained about loading times and framerate. Has that been fixed?

Hard to say because I haven' played it in ages but the issue was very overblown to begin with. I think there was some update that made it at least better sometime after release.

Dec 2, 2019
Lumines Remastered has always been fine since launch, I don't know what you are talking about guys

Loading times were nothing remarkable and frame rate was smooth

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Missed picking up "Think of the Children" for like $2. Seemed like a stupid quick game for casual party times.

Week January 16th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

• Super Crush KO - Vertex Pop - $14.99/€13.99 (Launch sale: $13.49/€12.59) - 384 MB
  • To the Moon - Freebird Games/X.D. Network - $11.99/€11.99 (Launch sale: $9.59/€9.59) - 795 MB
  • Stories Untold - Devolver Digital - $9.99/€9.99 - 2.1 GB
  • Puzzle & Dragons Gold - GungHo - $14.99 (Launch sale: $9.99) - 1.5 GB *NA*
  • The Station - The Station Game - $9.99/€7.99 - 2.0 GB
    supercrushkommkg0.jpg
    tothemoonhujqp.jpg
    storiesuntoldy2j8z.jpg
    puzzledragonsgoldrqj6z.jpg
    thestationx5ktg.jpg
  • So Many Me: Extended Edition - Starcaster Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 722 MB
  • Self - indienova - $6.99/€6.29 (Launch sale: $6.29/€5.66) - 245 MB
  • Red Bow - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $3.99/€3.99) - 78 MB
  • Seek Hearts - Kemco - $14.99/€14.99 Launch sale: €13.49) - 161 MB
  • Without Escape - eastasiasoft - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $3.99/€3.99) - 378 MB
    somanyme3ckpk.jpg
    selfezjnz.jpg
    redbow8vkvl.jpg
    seekheartszkj3x.jpg
    withoutescapezwksu.jpg
  • Witch & Hero 2 - Flyhigh Works - $4.99/€4.99 - 226 MB
  • Crayon Shin Chan: The Storm Called Flaming Kasukabe Runner!! - Bushiroad - $9.99 - 656 MB *NA*
  • Curious Cases - OnSkull Development - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $4.24) - 2.4 GB
  • Lydia - Nakana.io - $4.00/€4.00 - 605 MB
  • Squidlit - Squidlit Ink - $1.99/€1.59 - 176 MB
    witchandhero2kakzh.jpg
    crayonshinchan4mkpm.jpg
    curiouscases1ykby.jpg
    lydiajuj4v.jpg
    squidlitf4klx.jpg
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - Atlus/Nintendo - $59.99/€59.99 - 11.2 GB
  • Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk DX - Koei Tecmo Europe - $39.99/€39.99 - 4.7 GB
  • Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky DX - Koei Tecmo Europe - $39.99/€39.99 - 5.6 GB
  • Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea DX - Koei Tecmo Europe - $39.99/€39.99 - 5.9 GB
  • Bells & Whistles - Arcade - Konami/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
    tokyomiragesessionsfey6kgi.jpg
    atelierayeshathealcheouj4d.jpg
    ateliereschalogyalchea4j97.jpg
    ateliershalliealchemid1jsc.jpg
    arcadearchivesbellswhfejo2.jpg
  • Jump Gunners - BoomBox - $9.99/€9.99 - 232 MB
  • Demolish & Build 2018 - Ultimate Games - $14.99/€14.99 (Launch sale: $12.74/€12.74) - 1.6 GB
  • Anime Studio Story - Kairosoft - $14.00/€13.00 - 190 MB
  • Doggie Ninja The Burning Strikers - toydea - $8.00/€6.50 - 360 MB
  • Dreamwalker: Never Fall Asleep - Artifex Mundi - $14.99/€14.99 (Launch sale: €8.99) - 670 MB
    jumpgunners85ksl.jpg
    demolishbuildgqjb5.jpg
    animestudiostory9ik9b.jpg
    doggieninjatheburninge0kju.jpg
    dreamwalkerneverfallacuket.jpg
  • Dungeon Shooting - Starsign - $4.99 - 428 MB *NA*
  • Where Angels Cry: Tears of the Fallen Collector's Edition - Ocean Media - $19.99/€19.99 - 991 MB
  • Sorry, James - Nestor Yavorskyy - $4.99/€4.99 - 152 MB
  • Maitetsu: Pure Station - Circle Ent. - $34.99/€34.99 - 6.1 GB
  • Robots Under Attack! - Dmytro Derybas - $5.99/€5.99 - 74 MB
    dungeonshooting6rk1a.jpg
    whereangelscrytearsofsejoc.jpg
    sorryjamesyyjkk.jpg
    maitetsupurestationiljbm.jpg
    robotsunderattacki8jnm.jpg
  • Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo - Bare Knuckle - $4.99/€4.39 - 668 MB
  • Spider Solitaire - Baltoro Games - $8.99/€8.99 (Launch sale: $3.59/€3.59) - 296 MB
    supermegaspaceblasterxjj7z.jpg
    spidersolitaire12k5g.jpg

- Demos

• SpeedRunners - tinyBuild Games
  • Cat Quest II - Pqube
  • Woodle Tree 2: Deluxe - ChubbyPixel

- Japan

• Puyo Puyo Tsuu - Arcade - M2/Sega - ¥999
    segaagespuyopuyotsuuhik66.jpg

- Late Releases

• Planetary Defense Force - Blue Sunset Games - $4.99/€4.49 (Launch sale: $3.49) - 437 MB *NA*
  • Jurassic Excite - Big Boys Studio - $5.50/€5.00 - 359 MB *NA*

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I think you'd be the one most qualified to write them, since they might have follow up questions (?)

"If you're experiencing problems with any of our games, or have a technical or billing query, just use the form below and we'll aim to get back to you within 24 working hours."

Done.

I also mentioned if they could please implement a much needed gyro aiming/camera reset button (I hate when games don't support that, especially ones with gyro controlled camera/aim, Call of Juarez also doesn't have it) and fix the analog transition from walking to running because right now it's problematic to say the least, walking around is a constant fight with the stick because running kicks in way too early, it should have you push the stick further before changing speed.
This, coupled with camera's acceleration, makes the mc much clunkier to play, it'd
feel a whole lot better if Rebellion implemented these little fixes.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
There is a loading screen each time I open the game, takes like 15 to 20 seconds, then there are not really any loading times. Framerate is stable, I think it is 60fps?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hard to say because I haven' played it in ages but the issue was very overblown to begin with. I think there was some update that made it at least better sometime after release.
Lumines Remastered has always been fine since launch, I don't know what you are talking about guys

Loading times were nothing remarkable and frame rate was smooth
There is a loading screen each time I open the game, takes like 15 to 20 seconds, then there are not really any loading times. Framerate is stable, I think it is 60fps?

Guess I should have asked earlier. Oh well, I'll wait for the next sale.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's at least a little bit hilarious that the Nintendo web eShop doesn't have a search function. The easiest way to find a specific title is to google "(game title) eshop".

Dec 2, 2019
Guess I should have asked earlier. Oh well, I'll wait for the next sale.
Meanwhile I went searching a little. Mitch Vogel from NL says: "Those of you worried about performance will be pleased to know that we didn't notice any frame drops in docked or undocked modes, so you're not losing anything by taking it on the go."

Not that I wasn't sure of myself, I bought the game the instant it was released. But then everyone has different performance sensitivities, I guess? I sure am very sensitive to frame-rate and had nothing to argue.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed Dead Cells and really enjoying it. I have the game on PC since early access and played a lot back then but haven't touched it since the DLC and any of the major changes they have made via the patches since so it's nice to discover all the new stuff!

One small issue I have however... I don't know if it's me that just sucks or don't remember how it really was back then or if it's something caused by the fact that I have only played with the Joycons so far but I'm having a bit of a difficult time with the jumping?

I feel like I really need to get a running start to jump to most of the overhead platforms and it just feels like I am generally not jumping high enough when just pressing the button from a stand still...

So is it an issue on my end or is the game really like that?