• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the "Back from hell" update overhauled the game wonderfully, it was a mess when it was released but its since evolved into a really fun action game, one of my favourites of this gen. Its got a nice level of challenge on it as well, clearing each boss fight with no damage runs was tough but insanely satisfying! I really gotta check out the devs followup game when I'm done with a few of my other Switch releases...

Agreed. The level of challenge is pitched just right for me, it's tough but doesn't feel undoable and the checkpoints are mostly sensibly placed. Didn't know they had a follow-up game, I'll check it out!

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
38? That's one shopping spree! Lol what did you get?

I'm copying straight from my notes so don't mind the poor formatting, lol:

SWITCH Circuits
SWITCH Commander Keen in Keen Dreams
SWITCH CROSSNIQ+
SWITCH Crypt of the Serpent King
SWITCH Daggerhood
SWITCH de Blob
SWITCH Dokuro (ドクロ)
SWITCH Go! Fish Go!
SWITCH Goonya Fighter
SWITCH Homo Machina
SWITCH Hyperforma
SWITCH Hyperlight Ultimate
SWITCH Into the Breach
SWITCH Jack N' Jill DX
SWITCH Koi DX
SWITCH KORAL
SWITCH Mars Power Industries
SWITCH METAGAL
SWITCH MIND: Path to Thalamus
SWITCH Mr. Shifty
SWITCH Octahedron: Transfixed Edition
SWITCH Old School Racer 2
SWITCH Peasant Knight
SWITCH RAZED
SWITCH Rogue Legacy
SWITCH SpiritSphere DX
SWITCH Super Life of Pixel
SWITCH Super Star Path
SWITCH Swaps and Traps
SWITCH The Adventures of Elena Temple: Definitive Edition
SWITCH The Rainsdowne Players
SWITCH The Walking Vegetables: Radical Edition
SWITCH Type:Rider
SWITCH Vandals
SWITCH Way of the Passive Fist
SWITCH West of Loathing
SWITCH Windjammers
SWITCH 911 Operator Bundle

I've bought 122 digital Switch games (not including freebies) since November's Cyber Deals sale started, and there are still more that I'm tempted to buy.

I need a therapist.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
what you need is some standards, goddamn dude, there's alot of mobile-style shit in that list lol

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

SWITCH Circuits
SWITCH CROSSNIQ+
SWITCH Daggerhood
SWITCH de Blob
SWITCH Dokuro (ドクロ)
SWITCH Go! Fish Go!
SWITCH Goonya Fighter
SWITCH Homo Machina
SWITCH Hyperforma
SWITCH Into the Breach
SWITCH Jack N' Jill DX
SWITCH Koi DX
SWITCH KORAL
SWITCH METAGAL
SWITCH Mr. Shifty
SWITCH Peasant Knight
SWITCH RAZED
SWITCH Rogue Legacy
SWITCH SpiritSphere DX
SWITCH Super Star Path
SWITCH Swaps and Traps
SWITCH Vandals
SWITCH West of Loathing
SWITCH Windjammers

I've bought 122 digital Switch games (not including freebies) since November's Cyber Deals sale started, and there are still more that I'm tempted to buy.

I need a therapist.

Wow! Well, those games are pretty cheap, so it's not as shocking as it first seemed.

Man, you got Crypt of the Serpent King ? It looks so bad that I think of buying it every time it goes on sale. I think I'll buy it and wait until I have a friend around so we can laugh at it ^_^ Big fan of dungeon crawlers here, so there's also a bit of "this looks like a DC made by a single guy with poor programming skills so that's kind of awesome even if the game sucks".

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
I've spent money upon, and played, quite a few bad arcade sports games on Switch because of my desperation for games in the genre, so I'm pleased to report that the seven-ish dollars that I spent on Football Heroes Turbo was well worth it. The game basically plays like Tecmo Super Bowl and NFL Blitz had a baby. There are a limited number of plays (12 on offense and 12 on defense, not including special teams plays), and picking the perfect defense to counter the opponent's offensive play will give your defense a jump on the play, though unlike in TSB, you won't be near-guaranteed a sack or TFL.

Both defensive and offensive players have special moves that can be triggered and that are on differing cooldown timers. A CB, for example, might have a special that makes them more likely to intercept a pass, but you can only trigger it on every five defensive plays. Besides special moves, players have access to punches and offensive players can also spin off of defenders with proper timing.

There's also a team-building element. As you play, you earn level up points that can be spent on players who earn enough XP. Once a player's earned a full XP bar, you can level them up, their bar drains, and they have to earn more XP in order to be leveled up again. Further, there is a free agent pool where players are available for limited times, anywhere from three to six weeks of a season as far as I've seen. You earn money for winning games and for completing flashy plays, scoring, forcing turnovers, etc. in games. That money can be used to buy free agents who are better than your base players and who have their own unique special moves. It's important to figure out where you want to spend money on upgrading your own base players, who start out as total shit, and where you don't want to bother because you plan to upgrade with a free agent.

The gameplay itself is quite fun and carries the impact of a football game gone mad. Punching the shit out of an opposing player feels great, timing a spin to bounce off a tackle feels great, and the game has wonderful pacing. Halves are short, about two minutes and fifteen seconds, but you'll get at least two or three possessions per half. I've played some close games with quite a lot of tension in them.

The game is on sale right now, so if anyone here is looking for a game reminiscent of Tecmo Super Bowl or NFL Blitz (or a little bit of both), I wholeheartedly suggest this game as a purchase. The Switch is lousy with so many bad games in the arcade sports genre that this one deserves a bit of love for actually being of some quality.
That sounds super fun..and now I have one more game added to my eternal backlog. Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaa, why wasn't I aware of this game?? Thank you for writeup & the clear details of the gameplay, artistic style, & the silly charm!

Thank you buying and posting impressions. Game looked interesting but I found next to no impressions or reviews.

That sounds super fun..and now I have one more game added to my eternal backlog. Thanks for sharing your impressions!

No problem. As long as there are niche arcade sports games being released on the Switch, I'll be there to buy them blindly and then post thoughts about them here.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I just noticed the Crash Team Racing video I posted yesterday was set to private. I know you're all dying to watch it and could barely sleep last night, so here it comes again :P

I'm glad I listened to you guys: Crash Team Racing is great!

The game is fast, the tracks look great and the boost mechanics are very fun once you master it. I'm not even a Crash fan (the only characters I know are Crash and... his nemesis, Cortex whatever), but this is a great kart game.

For the first few hours, I was a bit angry at the game because it's super hard when you're a noob. You have to master the drifting mechanics, and it took me a while even though I played lots of Sonic Racing Transformed (which has similar mechanics). Now that I got the hang of it, though, races are challenging and exciting.

A quick 30 second video I just captured

And there's so much single-player content: Cup mode, adventure mode, challenge mode, lots of unlockables, bosses, an in-game shop... CTR is awesome if you're looking for a good and challenging single-player kart game. That said, as someone told me a few days ago, it's probably not great for multiplayer because your friend have to practice a lot, unlike Mario Kart where people quickly get how the game works and have fun racing together.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
When are the first-party games 30% off sale starting? I'm anticipating this like a fiend, because I want MK8 + Donkey Kong as digital games.

I even tried to buy them on the japanese store, but my credit card from Europe doesn't go through.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I enjoyed Slain but I reached a part that got really difficult. Apparently Valfaris is a little less brutal, which I'm grateful for.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Slain is awesome, I played it on Xbox One back in the day and really enjoyed it.

So much so that I got it again on Switch physically just to have a copy on my shelf! <3

Seemed like the Switch one at the time didn't run as smoothly but I'm sure it's still a great game (didn't spend much time on that one).

Happy to discover the other week the 'follow up' Valfaris existed, excited to play it one day.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Seems like I'll be able to make this a backlog month since both games on my wishlist release in the end of January. These year-end sales killed me.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to complete a run with the Defect in Slay the Spire. The headless knight in the City is the hardest challenge in the run as it can deal 51 damage in one attack. Nearly killed me but managed to beat it with only 5 HP left. Very satisfying.

Now, after completing a run for both the Silent and the Defect. It is time to return to the Ironclad. IMO, this character is way too straight forward to use, which may make them the hardest character to master. Anyway, very exciting to keep playing tomorrow.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
EU

Shakedown Hawai is 50% lowest its been, think ill bite.

Yoshi is 33% off also (well its the only first party game on my wishlist, im sure there are others)

DKoops

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo eShop (Switch)

Arcade Archives Penguin Kun Wars (HAMSTER) - €6.99/£6.29
"Penguin Kun Wars" is an action game released by UPL in 1985. Set in the village's original sports "DOJIBALL" tournament, unique animal characters face off across the table to throw a ball 10 times at each other. The winner is the first side to throw all of the balls out of their area. Launch yourself through heated ball battles, and aim for first place in the tournament.

Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Nintendo, available January 3) - €26.99/£24.29
Get ready to challenge your brain in a variety of ways in Dr Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch! Enjoy new exercises, some of them making use of the right Joy-Con's IR Motion Camera, or tap and train with classic exercises from past Brain Training games that you can play using a stylus (included with the packaged version from retail stores) or your finger. It's in your hands!

JurassicExcite (BIG BOYS STUDIO) - €5.00/£4.49
Dinosaurs who lived in peace began to rampage with the power of magic! Help the dinosaurs with a magic hammer!

Just swing the hammer in the direction of the dinosaurs!
You can also shake a hammer with Joy-Con!
Because you can play together with them, challenge your friends and family to difficult stages!
Something happens if you get a high score on a difficult stage.

LASTFIGHT (Joindots) - €29.99/£24.99
LASTFIGHT is bringing 2v2 3D fighting back to your living room. Pick up any available object in one of the 8 stages and teach your opponents a lesson!

LASTFIGHT is the perfect game to play with friends on your couch. Each level has specific bonuses and objects to hurl at your opponent. Will you manage to resist the temptation of the ANITRANS to win?

Play in local multiplayer mode, for up to four players, or one-player story mode, with a cast of 10 characters inspired by the comic book LASTMAN.

Link-a-Pix Deluxe (Lightwood Games) - €7.99/£6.99
Link-a-Pix is a clue-linking puzzle where every grid has a picture hidden inside. The aim is to reveal the picture by painting paths to link the clues.

Connect pairs of clues which have the same colour and number. The number shows the length of the line which will connect them. Link-a-Pix can always be solved using logic and deduction. You don't ever have to guess!

This game contains 120 brand new full-colour puzzles and 120 unique mono puzzles, designed by Conceptis Ltd. Puzzles range in difficulty and size from small introductory pictures to huge scrollable grids.

Downloadable Content

Link-a-Pix Deluxe - Link-a-Pix Colour (Lightwood Games) - €3.99/£3.49
Another 120 colour puzzles in various sizes! These puzzles were previously included in Link-a-Pix Colour on Nintendo 3DS.

Summer Sweatheart - Midsummer Night (Fengyun) - Free
Unlocking the new summer outfit, new interactive video and new events of four characters.

WorldNeverland - Elnea Kingdom: Town Furs Set (White) - €1.99/£1.79
Includes:
- Town Furs White
- Kid's Town Furs White
- Fur Beret White

Last edited:

DKoops

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo is doing a New Years sale on the European Switch eShop until January 12. Here are the examples given...

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - €39.99/£33.29 (normally €59.99/£49.99)
Yoshi's Crafted World (Nintendo) - €39.99/£33.29 (normally €59.99/£49.99)
Super Mario Party (Nintendo) - €39.99/£33.29 (normally €59.99/£49.99)
Mario Tennis Aces (Nintendo) - €39.99/£33.29 (normally €59.99/£49.99)
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - €39.99/£33.29 (normally €59.99/£49.99)
Fitness Boxing (Nintendo) - €34.99/£27.99 (normally €49.99/£39.99)
Dragon Quest XI S - Echoes of an Elusive Age (Nintendo) - €39.99/£33.29 (normally €59.99/£49.99)
OCTOPATH TRAVELER (Nintendo) - €35.99/£29.99 (normally €59.99/£49.99)
Overwatch: Legendary Edition (Blizzard) - €27.99/£25.19 (normally €39.99/£35.99)

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Donkey Kong isn't on sale, which is what I was anticipating, as it's a first party title. :-O

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo is doing a New Years sale on the European Switch eShop until January 12. Here are the examples given...

Dragon Quest XI S - Echoes of an Elusive Age (Nintendo) - €39.99/£33.29 (normally €59.99/£49.99)
Overwatch: Legendary Edition (Blizzard) - €27.99/£25.19 (normally €39.99/£35.99)

Seems like those are the only big games they have on sale.

Oct 30, 2017

DQ is a good price! Might jump on that!

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

SWITCH Circuits
SWITCH CROSSNIQ+
SWITCH Daggerhood
SWITCH de Blob
SWITCH Dokuro (ドクロ)
SWITCH Go! Fish Go!
SWITCH Goonya Fighter
SWITCH Homo Machina
SWITCH Hyperforma
SWITCH Into the Breach
SWITCH Jack N' Jill DX
SWITCH Koi DX
SWITCH KORAL
SWITCH METAGAL
SWITCH Mr. Shifty
SWITCH Peasant Knight
SWITCH RAZED
SWITCH Rogue Legacy
SWITCH SpiritSphere DX
SWITCH Super Star Path
SWITCH Swaps and Traps
SWITCH Vandals
SWITCH West of Loathing
SWITCH Windjammers

I need a therapist.

Lots of crap in there. You actually might need that therapist.

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
...And Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition isn't part of the sale. Might just give in and just buy the cart

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
...And Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition isn't part of the sale. Might just give in and just buy the cart

I almost wish I hadn't played Hyrule Warriors for 300 hours on the Wii U, because I would love to see the extra stuff in the Switch version.

Scratch that, I might buy the Switch version anyway. HW is one of my favorite games ever.

Also, lots of great memories from the OT. Every couple of pages, someone would come up asking some info about DLC that was included in the OT and it was driving TheMoon crazy ^_^

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Yoshi's Island.

Should I buy Yoshi's Crafted World?
I think Yoshi's Island is pretty great. I also really enjoyed Woolly World on Wii U.

I hated Crafted World and dropped it after a few hours. When people call Nintendo "kiddie", I cringe, but Crafted World, even more so than other Yoshi games, is genuinely aimed at young children.

And the music is nightmare-fuel.

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
I almost wish I hadn't played Hyrule Warriors for 300 hours on the Wii U, because I would love to see the extra stuff in the Switch version.

Scratch that, I might buy the Switch version anyway. HW is one of my favorite games ever.

It does seem to be an extraordinary collection, having it digitally so I could just dip in and out was my ultimate aim as it seems perfect for exactly that.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

SWITCH Circuits
SWITCH CROSSNIQ+
SWITCH Daggerhood
SWITCH de Blob
SWITCH Dokuro (ドクロ)
SWITCH Go! Fish Go!
SWITCH Goonya Fighter
SWITCH Homo Machina
SWITCH Hyperforma
SWITCH Into the Breach
SWITCH Jack N' Jill DX
SWITCH Koi DX
SWITCH KORAL
SWITCH METAGAL
SWITCH Mr. Shifty
SWITCH Peasant Knight
SWITCH RAZED
SWITCH Rogue Legacy
SWITCH SpiritSphere DX
SWITCH Super Star Path
SWITCH Swaps and Traps
SWITCH Vandals
SWITCH West of Loathing
SWITCH Windjammers

I need a therapist.

I just don't even look at sales until I'm actually looking to buy a new game. Having bought so many games, if the problem is you can't pass up a deal, just have to tell yourself that whatever you save from the discounts, you've spent many times over on games you'll not ever find time to play.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I think Yoshi's Island is pretty great. I also really enjoyed Woolly World on Wii U.

I hated Crafted World and dropped it after a few hours. When people call Nintendo "kiddie", I cringe, but Crafted World, even more so than other Yoshi games, is genuinely aimed at young children.

And the music is nightmare-fuel.

Jim Sterling loved it iirc :D

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

As usual. It never is. Fuck.
Despite being on sale in Japan constantly via Tecmo Koei. I don't get while this one in particular Nintendo never puts on sale in EU/NA.
I don't want to get the cart because it seems perfect as a digital game, and I'm not paying full price this late into the game. Also I'm a bit weary of its performance in portable mode, wish they had patched a perf mode in since the game renders at 1080p even in handheld mode.

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
As usual. It never is. Fuck.
Despite being on sale in Japan constantly via Tecmo Koei. I don't get while this one in particular Nintendo never puts on sale in EU/NA.
I don't want to get the cart because it seems perfect as a digital game, and I'm not paying full price this late into the game. Also I'm a bit weary of its performance in portable mode, wish they had patched a perf mode in since the game renders at 1080p even in handheld mode.

Yeah, the undocked performance doesn't seem great judging by the Digital Foundry video I've just watched, but it being cheap and digital would've made it acceptable for me to just dig into on my Switch Lite. C'mon Nintendo, a cheeky wee sale for this, go on!

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
what you need is some standards, goddamn dude, there's alot of mobile-style shit in that list lol
Lots of crap in there. You actually might need that therapist.

lmao C'mon, guys. Those are over-exaggerations. Like maybe no more than five of those games are questionable purchases. ;)

I'd love if you could go down the list and highlight what I shouldn't have bought because most of those are quality games with good reviews, except this one, lol:

Wow! Well, those games are pretty cheap, so it's not as shocking as it first seemed.

Man, you got Crypt of the Serpent King ? It looks so bad that I think of buying it every time it goes on sale. I think I'll buy it and wait until I have a friend around so we can laugh at it ^_^ Big fan of dungeon crawlers here, so there's also a bit of "this looks like a DC made by a single guy with poor programming skills so that's kind of awesome even if the game sucks".

Yup, exactly this. A dollar for this is worth it for the laughs. It looks terrible. lol

The few critic reviews say it sucks but there were some positive player reviews on Steam so who knows? Maybe I'll be surprised. :P

I just don't even look at sales until I'm actually looking to buy a new game. Having bought so many games, if the problem is you can't pass up a deal, just have to tell yourself that whatever you save from the discounts, you've spent many times over on games you'll not ever find time to play.

This is sound advice! 👍

*returns to eShop to grab some more last-minute deals*

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
buying a bunch of crap for $1 is what you do on phones. I mean you do you dude, but don't pretend its not lol

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I just bought/refunded Scarlet Grace on Steam. Seems like a good game, but the presentation of the battle is just off-putting for me. I really don't like it when games don't even bother to try to teach you the game. I'm okay with learning complicated systems and all, but yeah, maybe I just wasn't ready for all that this morning.

This is why Slay the Spire is still my #1 go to Turn Based game since it was released 12 months ago. It's easy to pick up, learn, and hasn't gotten old to me yet.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
buying a bunch of crap for $1 is what you do on phones. I mean you do you dude, but don't pretend its not lol

tenor.gif

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks as always for your hard work tolkir, Lite_Agent and DKoops!

Thank you for your hard work on these threads tolkir, here's to another year and hopefully lots of great games in store for everyone!

For example To the Moon! It's a very good story driven game, I hope some people give it a go! It has that same issue that Steins;Gate has, where you need to put up with an insufferable main character for a long time before you get to the good parts, but please don't let the bad punny jokes from that one researcher scare you off it.
Thanks for the info - what kinda punny jokes are we talking?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Guys do we know if
Samurai Showdown/Spirits is going to be the same sku in NA/EU than it is in Japan currently? I'm really itching for the game it seems just perfect for my tastes, and I'd gladly grab it on JPN eShop if the release is going to be the same worldwide. I think Deep Silver is the publisher for the western version.

I'd love to hear some good guesswork about it.
Both the Asian and JPN versions offer English support btw, which -especially the latter- usually points to a WW sku.

Thanks!
it's as dumb as double dipping games on switch you havent even played (and own) on other systems. We all have our things :p

I mean a good 30% of my Switch library is made of double dips on games I own already elsewhere but I haven't even played :P

but it's all good, they're games I'mo va interested in but will only be able to play thanks to Switch's hybrid nature. Having a huge Switch backlog is bad, double dipping it's not (necessarily