• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it took 35 hours and a city of nearly 60k pop, but finally starting to see a few oddities in Cities: Skylines. So far it's very minor and can be mostly ignored. At some areas in the city (seems like the same small section of road each time), a car will just randomly stop for just a second and then continue on. Not all the cars, but maybe 1 car every 30 seconds. It doesn't slow things down too much. But it's clear that the game is having a bit of difficulties processing where each car is trying to do/etc. For just that small section too, it's not widespread. Like I'll see it in like 5 spots tops in the city currently, and my city is like 6 areas spread out or so now. so it's very very small, but def something you notice. Performance wise, still holds up well. Maybe not as 100% smooth as the early days, but still like 90% good.

Still, with 35 hours put in, and I haven't even put in all the things (like only just put in a harbor and haven't unlocked an airport yet). I'm having a lot of fun with this game. So if you are in a Cim Sity like mood, I still very much recommend it! Esp if you might play more on the go.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Well, it took 35 hours and a city of nearly 60k pop, but finally starting to see a few oddities in Cities: Skylines. So far it's very minor and can be mostly ignored. At some areas in the city (seems like the same small section of road each time), a car will just randomly stop for just a second and then continue on. Not all the cars, but maybe 1 car every 30 seconds. It doesn't slow things down too much. But it's clear that the game is having a bit of difficulties processing where each car is trying to do/etc. For just that small section too, it's not widespread. Like I'll see it in like 5 spots tops in the city currently, and my city is like 6 areas spread out or so now. so it's very very small, but def something you notice. Performance wise, still holds up well. Maybe not as 100% smooth as the early days, but still like 90% good.

Still, with 35 hours put in, and I haven't even put in all the things (like only just put in a harbor and haven't unlocked an airport yet). I'm having a lot of fun with this game. So if you are in a Cim Sity like mood, I still very much recommend it! Esp if you might play more on the go.

I picked this up way back and have barely touched it, partially in fear that it would start to slowdown as I built up the city. Thanks for the impressions, I'll have to dig back in!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in:
Broken Age
Ori
If I had to parse it down to just 3, which ones should I get?

I parsed it down to two gems for you. ^^ if I had to pick a third that looks appealing but j haven't played myself yet, it would be Tangle Tower.

The thing I forgot to say about Broken Age in my earlier post is that it is really, really funny. Easily one of the funniest I have played. To me that's kinda rare in gaming. Just one more reason I loved it.

The good news is that four titles on my wishlist apparently went on sale. The bad news is that none of the discounts are particularly good. I've got a decent backlog as it is so they need to be at least 50% off to get me interested at this point.

Same here. I've already got Wandersong, one of the only games Weiss has deemed worthy ;___; lined up to play after we finish our Ori replay. And then Grim Fandango. And plenty of other things on the ol' backlog so I want to make it a point to play those...good reasons to wait for at least 50% off anything new unless it's a day one temptation.

Back in the day, yes, getting stuck in King's Quest V, Fate of Atlantis and other PnCs was a part of my routine. And it was ok, because I had lots of free time, so it wasn't frustrating at all and I remember how great it felt when I finally found out the piece of the puzzle I was missing. GF is this kind of game, so if you're fine with it, go ahead.

I still like PnCs, but my gaming time is limited now (wife, kid, job), so the only way I can play them is with a guide, and I don't think it makes much sense to play them this way :(

Oh, I know there are some Brazilian friends around, so let me add something: the Brazilian Portuguese voice acting is absolutely wonderful.

Thanks for the additional thoughts, Rob! I totally understand what you mean about free time. When it comes to a well designed adventure game I'm willing to lose out on the free time within reason. I'm sure eventually I'll look stuff up if I get stuck...hopefully we don't have to too much or we probably would drop the game. Fingers crossed it will click with us and at its low price it's definitely well worth the game. Glad to hear the Portuguese acting is top notch. I wonder if the game has an option for English subs with different language vocals.

Yes! How did you know?! He's 4.

Then there's Wendy (10) and, er, another unknown female Koopaling (8)

Not planning on getting more of 'em, sadly.

tumblr_mti5hignvj1qzvb3lo1_400.gifv

I think the unknown female Koopaling may in fact be related to Kammy Koopa. Just a hunch. ^^

I found it super enjoyable and full of charm, yes. When I saw it discounted I thought about getting it again since I can't play it anymore on Vita (it was a Plus freebie), but I know I'll get stuck again as it's one of those PnCs that have sometimes a weird logic.
It's usually not my favorite type of game at all because I tend to be pretty impatient (the only PnC I played a fair bit was I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream), but I tried it anyway because of the praise about the atmosphere of the game. As you can see, I'm quite different from OrakioRob but we still liked the game. Just give it a try! :)

Thanks for all of this info, and I definitely will purchase the game today! :) I'll be sure to report back with my thoughts.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I've already got Wandersong, one of the only games Weiss has seemed worthy ;___; lined up to play after we finish our Ori replay. And then Grim Fandango. And plenty of other things on the ol' backlog so I want to make it a point to play those...good reasons to wait for at least 50% off anything new unless it's a day one temptation.

Wandersong is indeed legit. Takes a look at some of the same themes as Undertale and executes them a bit better.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I just died in the impossible lair in Yooka 2 and my game crashed. Guess I died extra hard lol.

I've tried it four times so far and made it 67% of the way this time. Level seems really long compared to the rest of the game.
Dang, you're good. I've tried 25 times and not made it more than 50% of the way through.

Wandersong is indeed legit. Takes a look at some of the same themes as Undertale and executes them a bit better.

My seemed/deemed typo is going to haunt me forever.

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I parsed it down to two gems for you. ^^ if I had to pick a third that looks appealing but j haven't played myself yet, it would be Tangle Tower.

The thing I forgot to say about Broken Age in my earlier post is that it is really, really funny. Easily one of the funniest I have played. To me that's kinda rare in gaming. Just one more reason I loved it.

Transistor, Sayonara Wild Hearts, and Ori.

1) Broken Age
2) Ori
3) Sayonara Wild Hearts

#1 is mandatory

I think I'm gonna go Broken Age, Ori, Sayonara, and then splurge on a fourth and get Tangle Tower -- everything about it just looks delightful :)
I appreciate all the recommendations! Broken Age wasn't on my radar until this thread, so I'm very excited to see what it's about.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed Ritual of the Night on Sale, hope it's good, started it when it came out and was a mess so i returned it, but I really wanted to play it

Week January 9th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

• Sir Eatsalot - Deisling & Rider/eastasiasoft - $12.99/€12.99 - 1.4 GB
  • AO Tennis 2 - Bigben Interactive - €54.99 - 6.1 GB *EU*
  • Exerion - Arcade - Jaleco/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • Planetary Defense Force - Blue Sunset Games - €4.49 (Launch sale: €3.36) - 437 MB *EU*
  • Thoth - Carlsen Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 210 MB
    sireatsalotczkp7.jpg
    aotennis23xj6s.jpg
    arcadearchivesexerion4ijv6.jpg
    planetarydefenseforce3sj5e.jpg
    thothyzkpd.jpg
  • Technosphere - Ultimate Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 1.4 GB
  • Aborigenus - Drageus Games - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $1.99/€1.99) - 84 MB
  • Invisible Fist - Pineapple Works - $9.99/€9.99 - 307 MB
  • 140 - Carlsen Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 93 MB
  • Nicky - The Home Alone Golf Ball - QUByte Interactive - $0.99/€0.99 (Launch sale: $0.49/€0.49) - 754 MB
    technospherereloada1j2s.jpg
    aborigenusovjem.jpg
    invisiblefistu8j1c.jpg
    14043j2w.jpg
    nickythehomealonegolfx5jn2.jpg
  • Blackmoor 2 - Four Fats - $9.99/€8.99 - 544 MB
  • Ultimate Racing 2D - Applimazing - $9.99/€9.99 - 671 MB
  • Drunk-Fu: Wasted Masters - Rust0 Games - $9.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: $4.99/€4.99) - 823 MB
  • Extreme Trucks Simulator - SC Ovilex Soft - $14.99/€14.99 - 487 MB
    blackmoor2xokv8.jpg
    ultimateracing2d0sk0o.jpg
    drunk-fukakit.jpg
    extremetruckssimulatoenkkf.jpg

- Demos

• Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team - Nintendo
  • Skybolt Zack - GMG Label

- Japan

• Super Robot Taisen X - Bandai Namco Games - ¥8,360
  • Real Time Battle Shogi Online - Silverstar Japan - ¥2,200
    superrobottaisenxt3k6d.jpg
    realtimebattleshogionr2keo.jpg

- Late Releases

• Sea King Hunter - Cosen - $9.99 - 210 MB *NA*
  • Mirror - SakuraGame - €8.99 - 1.8 GB *EU*

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
I got 2 more games with this sale though I've been trying to stay away. Broken age and cook delicious 2 since those are super cheap right now. I also wishlisted some games I previously missed, so maybe pick a couple more up... So much for buying only To the moon and Aviary attorney this month

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up way back and have barely touched it, partially in fear that it would start to slowdown as I built up the city. Thanks for the impressions, I'll have to dig back in!
Yeah, that is why I originally didn't pick it up when it came out. But when I was on vacation for a week over new years and saw it was like 60% off, I decided why not (esp after watching some fun videos on the game). I see some issues now, but it took me 35 hours to get there. I'll keep posting each new milestone I get with the city to see how things progress.

I didn't mention it, but when you start out you have 3 game speeds. After hitting (I don't remember), like 15k pop, or 20k, 10k at least?, something around there you lose the top speed. That is one major drawback. the game still goes by quickily with the #2 speed at least. I'm curious if I will lose the 2nd speed when I get close to 100k.

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, you're good. I've tried 25 times and not made it more than 50% of the way through

I actually just beat it, but I only had 2 bees left. Took me 8 tries counting the one at the very beginning of the game. A lot of it is just memorization and patience I feel like.

I was missing a tonic still, so I looked it up and apparently there's a tonic for beating it without any bees at all? I can't imagine doing that.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Ace of Seafood and Tangledeep from this sale. Still got quite a few other games I'm working through but I've been too curiosu about those both.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nabbit you haven't played Wandersong?!? Oh man, I think you're going to love that game. It's fantastic and an incredibly positive, uplifting experience. It's a truly special game.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
Very interested to hear what you think after diving back in. I was one of the many excited for the game but deterred by all of the issues it was plagued with at release. The patch and next patch sound legit, but haven't seen much actual feedback yet.

Grabbed Ritual of the Night on Sale, hope it's good, started it when it came out and was a mess so i returned it, but I really wanted to play it

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Earthfall for $5 might have to be done.

Wow, I didn't even know this existed. Don't think I'll pick it up for the file size, but what an example of the eShop deluge -- had no idea that a solid-looking Left 4 Dead With Aliens was a thing that was on the eShop.

More on the sale: Grim Fandango Remastered is $3.74. That's nuts.

So I'm now torn between Moonlighter and Tangledeep. They both seem like they'd scratch a similar crafting and collecting heavy rogue-ish (which I love) itch, no? Anyone have any takes to help ease the decision?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm now torn between Moonlighter and Tangledeep. They both seem like they'd scratch a similar crafting and collecting heavy rogue-ish (which I love) itch, no? Anyone have any takes to help ease the decision?

I can't speak for Moonlighter, but you wouldn't regret Tangledeep at all if that's what you're after. Not only does it have infinite replayability in the base game, but in the next couple months it's getting a large expansion on Switch — complete with a new job, way more content, new challenges, a new campaign with unique mechanics from the antagonist's perspective, and many other additions.

It's the only game with permadeath where I can truly say I looked forward to each death, because the character building via the equipment and job systems is so deep, I was always itching to try new builds.

But of course, permadeath is optional in the game, if you want to approach it more like an RPG, and the difficulty scales indefinitely with NG+ to reward said investment.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I played both. They are not really comparable:
Moonlighter is a "zelda dungeon crawler"-like game. You collect stuff and sell it to buy and craft more gear etc. I didn't really love it, it grew repetitive quite soon for me.

Tangledeep is more of a classic turn based roguelike (or you can turn off permadeath) with fairly long runs. It plays a bit like necrodancer/cadence of Hyrule without the rythm aspect. I really liked this one, there's a lot of different playstyles depending on the character/weapons you choose and quite a bit of depth. Not as easy to get into, but a better game imo.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just beat it, but I only had 2 bees left. Took me 8 tries counting the one at the very beginning of the game. A lot of it is just memorization and patience I feel like.

I was missing a tonic still, so I looked it up and apparently there's a tonic for beating it without any bees at all? I can't imagine doing that.

Kudos! For me it's just my platforming skills are not up to snuff, I suppose. I've beaten some other hard platforming games and it's my favorite genre but I just can't swing this one yet. Are you using Joy-Cons? Was wondering if it'd be easier for me if not.

Nabbit you haven't played Wandersong?!? Oh man, I think you're going to love that game. It's fantastic and an incredibly positive, uplifting experience. It's a truly special game.

Nope, I haven't! That just increases my hype further, thanks OB! Hopefully we will be starting it within the next few days.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Can anyone recommend me a good Bluetooth audio adapter for Switch that I can get from Amazon? About to go on vacation and want to play Witcher 3 now that it is on sale. Oh, and I use air pod pros if there is a compatible adapter...

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
Kudos! For me it's just my platforming skills are not up to snuff, I suppose. I've beaten some other hard platforming games and it's my favorite genre but I just can't swing this one yet. Are you using Joy-Cons? Was wondering if it'd be easier for me if not.

Nope, I haven't! That just increases my hype further, thanks OB! Hopefully we will be starting it within the next few days.

Pro Controller for me. Out of what you've done so far, what part are you finding the most difficult? Feel free to PM too, I can kind of explain how the rest of it works for you if you'd like. I think you can manage it, but it's definitely a big difficulty jump over the rest of the game.

And you will definitely love Wandersong. Glad you finally picked it up!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Can anyone recommend me a good Bluetooth audio adapter for Switch that I can get from Amazon? About to go on vacation and want to play Witcher 3 now that it is on sale. Oh, and I use air pod pros if there is a compatible adapter...

I kickstarted the Genki which is on Amazon. I don't know how it works with the Airpods pro but the OG Airpods it works so well. No sync issues, instantly works. Can sync more than one pair if you play 2 player. Has USB dongle so you can plug it into the doc and still use bluetooth for late night playing on big screen.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
I kickstarted the Genki which is on Amazon. I don't know how it works with the Airpods pro but the OG Airpods it works so well. No sync issues, instantly works. Can sync more than one pair if you play 2 player. Has USB dongle so you can plug it into the doc and still use bluetooth for late night playing on big screen.
Ordered, a comment said it works with air pod pro just fine though the mic doesn't quite sync well. But it's Nintendo Online so who cares;)

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Is Grim Fandango going to make me feel stupid like baba is you did?

Grim Fandango is very charming and, for the price it is being sold right now, I would say that it's worth it for the first 30 minutes alone. The settings and the characters are wonderfully absurd, it's definitely worth checking out.

That said, it will continually test your patience after those 30 minutes. Some puzzles are very obtuse. If you're used to old adventures, you know what I'm talking about; if not, it's one of those games where you get stuck, then you start revisiting all of the screens you have access to trying to use all of your items in every single object in the scene in hope that something will work. If you hate this kind of thing, you might want to skip it.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017

The story and atmosphere are the main reason to play GF, so looking at a guide every now and then to keep you from getting stuck isn't going to ruin the experience or make things harder down the road. I had a printed GameFaqs guide in my desk when I first played back in the day and that didn't stop it from becoming one of my favorite games of all time.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
You need to really enjoy those old-school point-and-click adventure games to enjoy it.

I spent a lot of time solving those puzzzles and had to look up quite a few of them. I have no clue how ppl beat the game back in the day without a guide.There's some difficult puzzles within the game and times where it just leaves you hanging and expects you to run around within the game to find out where to go next with little to no hint. However, the story and characters are definitely amazing and makes the challenge worth it

I would look up some reviews because it really comes down to how much patience and time you're willing to spend on a 90's classic that still shines while simultaneously showing its age.

The Wii comparison is even crazier.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I ended up using my accumulated gold points to get Wandersong and Goose Game. Wandersong was 100% paid for with gold points, and I paid ten bucks for Goose Game.

My backlog is weeping.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Picked up a few games on sale; not sure when I'll get to them. But I've kept my backlog relatively small, so it's all good.

I was hoping Breath of the Wild would be on sale, though. I have it on Wii U, but I'd rather play it again on Switch and I'm certainly not buying a second copy at full price. I should have bitten during the Black Friday sale.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
If I have Eshop credit on my account am I forced to spend that first or can I purchase something with my credit card and save the credit?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about grabbing PC Building Simulator on sale. I'm about to build a new PC and I could use the practice. Its been almost a decade...