• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to see people reporting so much difficulty with Grim Fandango, but it may just be a difference in background. I was very much into PC puzzle-adventures when it came out and had worked through most of the big guns from LucasArts, so I've played it multiple times through since the pre-release demo in 1998 (with long, long breaks to forget the puzzles), never with a guide, and never had much trouble; it's actually pretty streamlined next to many of its precursors, as from Full Throttle onwards, Tim Schafer generally confined item puzzles to smaller chapters and environments (compared to the game-long sprawl of his masterpiece, Day of the Tentacle). The main hurdle with Grim back in its own day was the switch to 3D, back when it only had tank controls and you had to follow the character's eyeline to see which objects were interactive.

I will admit, in hindsight, that the whole Petrified Forest sequence (unfortunately pretty early in the game, in Act I) is pretty rough and finicky—there's a slight execution barrier even when you do see what to do—but Act II is itself one of the greatest puzzle-adventure chapters and one of the most memorable towns in video games, and worth the price of admission. It's too bad the roughest patch of the game hits so early on. I've always rated this game as one of my great favourites, especially due to the artwork and writing, although in retrospect I've come to see DotT as the superior design.

It's not the same kind of systems-driven logic-puzzle experience as Baba Is You at all. PC adventures that evolved from text-based to graphical form had their own conventions that were all about thinking along chains of item/environment lock-and key interactions: pop this lock to get this key, and so on, while exploring all the dialogue options to get a clear idea of your ultimate objective. I suppose it is a bit of an acquired skill to intuitively "read" the genre like how a person with Mario experience would read a platforming game, or a person with Metroid experience would read Hollow Knight's map. It's interesting to see a totally different perspective on the difficulty from others here who might not have gone into Grim via that progression.

Oct 26, 2017
Been addicted to Spintires aka Mudrunner lately. Definitely getting my money's worth with that one after getting it on sale for 70% off!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is Grim Fandango going to make me feel stupid like baba is you did?
Well, not really. I didn't feel stupid that I couldn't figure out GF puzzles, rather confused how anyone designing a game like that thought it was possible to complete without a guide or unlimited time to try everything under the sun. I love the characters, setting and story of GF, but absolutely detest the puzzles (I just used a guide once I reached late chapter 1, that sign puzzle can go fuck itself).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Thank you for all your answers about Grim Fandango. Even if it's dirt cheap, I may pass on this one. Too bad, I remember being genuinely intrigued at the time of its release but didn't own a PC.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
I just created a new Nintendo account for the Argentina store. Got Hotline Miami collection and Katana Zero for about $4 combined.
I wanna keep an eye on the store in the future to see if there's any other good deals, since those are the only games I didn't have/wanted for that price in the sale

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I have a stupid long backlog and I'm tight on moneys but Mortal Kombat 11 or Team Sonic Racing are tempting at this point

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I just created a new Nintendo account for the Argentina store. Got Hotline Miami collection and Katana Zero for about $4 combined.
I wanna keep an eye on the store in the future to see if there's any other good deals, since those are the only games I didn't have/wanted for that price in the sale

Had a look into this, seems like the Argentinan store doesn't accept a UK credit card nor one of the listed countries that accepts PayPal on the Nintendo eShop. Shame as I wanted to get Katana Zero

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
QuixoticNeutral thanks for sharing your thoughts on Grim Fandango. Is the game harder or more complex than Broken Age? It took us some serious time to figure out some of the puzzles but we loved the game. I ask because I know they are both Tim Schafer games.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
QuixoticNeutral thanks for sharing your thoughts on Grim Fandango. Is the game harder or more complex than Broken Age? It took us some serious time to figure out some of the puzzles but we loved the game. I ask because I know they are both Tim Schafer games.
To me it's a bit easier. But it may be that in 1998 I was more efficient as an adventure gamer.

Oct 25, 2017

If you managed to get through all of Broken Age, you'll be fine.

Part 1 of Broken Age is on the easy side among point-and-clicks, to the point that the old-school players who made up the Kickstarter donor base (like myself) expressly asked for harder puzzles in Part 2. There was one puzzle in Part 2 that I remember thinking of as quite poorly designed (the one where you run back and forth to verbally describe the shapes of knots) and I don't think anything in Grim Fandango is quite that mean. Generally, I think the puzzle design comes out looking roughest when the games fail to signal whether you're on the right track and getting closer—which is how players who look up solutions wind up saying, "I never would have figured that out myself." That might be the case with the knots in Broken Age, and also one or two spots in Grim Fandango (noticeably the weird difficulty spike in the later part of Act I that I described). But in general, the game is quite good about signalling that you're on the right track, just missing a crucial step. A lot of puzzle solutions have an intermediate stage where your attempted solution almost works, but you need to fix something first.

I remember that I loved the thread pattern puzzle near the very end of Broken Age, because it was just the right mix of pattern perception and making a small creative leap that the game doesn't spell out for you explicitly. I'm aware some others hated it. Nothing in Grim Fandango is any harder than that.

The other thing to remember is that the old Gilbert/Schafer/LucasArts school of design was all about refusing to kill the player or put them in an explicit fail state. Puzzles tend to reset very cleanly. But while you don't die, it means that the stopping condition is that you're liable to feel stuck—repeating the same thing, wondering why it's resetting or what you're missing, banging your head against the wall. This is why both Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer like to put a lot of character switching in their games: because if you get stuck on one character, you can still progress on another character while you think about the problem. Players tend to be more patient that way before they resort to guides. Grim Fandango doesn't do that—you only have the one protagonist at all times—so if you feel stuck, there's really no way forward but to push against the unsolved problems on the table.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Grim Fandango came out at the very tail end of the 90's arm race to make harder, more obscure puzzles for adventure game fans to solve. Adventure games had been a big thing since the early days of computing and while their popularity was fading fast by that point the creators still wanted to please the hardcore fans of this 20 year old genre, so they kept making harder and harder puzzles for the people who had seen and done just about everything at that point.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading that Children of Morta launched on Switch with some pretty serious technical issues. Can anybody confirm or deny that those are still there? Otherwise, it looks like my kind of game

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I can't speak for Moonlighter, but you wouldn't regret Tangledeep at all if that's what you're after. Not only does it have infinite replayability in the base game, but in the next couple months it's getting a large expansion on Switch — complete with a new job, way more content, new challenges, a new campaign with unique mechanics from the antagonist's perspective, and many other additions.

It's the only game with permadeath where I can truly say I looked forward to each death, because the character building via the equipment and job systems is so deep, I was always itching to try new builds.

But of course, permadeath is optional in the game, if you want to approach it more like an RPG, and the difficulty scales indefinitely with NG+ to reward said investment.
I played both. They are not really comparable:
Moonlighter is a "zelda dungeon crawler"-like game. You collect stuff and sell it to buy and craft more gear etc. I didn't really love it, it grew repetitive quite soon for me.

Tangledeep is more of a classic turn based roguelike (or you can turn off permadeath) with fairly long runs. It plays a bit like necrodancer/cadence of Hyrule without the rythm aspect. I really liked this one, there's a lot of different playstyles depending on the character/weapons you choose and quite a bit of depth. Not as easy to get into, but a better game imo.

Thanks, ya'll. Definitely leaning toward Tangledeep, though I may end up with both. I love the scaling difficulty concept, and that game really seems to get a lot of love from Era.

delalaser

Oct 25, 2017
Pix the cat

$5 rn. MUST BUY if you want a party game or like chu chu rocket. i had it on steam for years and never played it til i got it on switch. played 1v1 and had a great time. simple and addicting.

Been addicted to Spintires aka Mudrunner lately. Definitely getting my money's worth with that one after getting it on sale for 70% off!

is it a chill game? how does it run? graphics?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing the King of Cards expansion on Shovel Knight tonight.

I don't like Joustus, at all, and I've read it's optional which is great, but in the game it keeps referring to how I'm going to have to beat three different bosses at Joustus, so is it optional or not? 🤷‍♂️

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017

I don't like Joustus, at all, and I've read it's optional which is great, but in the game it keeps referring to how I'm going to have to beat three different bosses at Joustus, so is it optional or not? 🤷‍♂️

It's optional.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've tried to get into the Schafer adventure games many times but I always tap out pretty quickly. In contrast, I'm a huge fan of the old Macventure games (specifically the NES ports): Shadowgate, Uninvited, and Deja Vu. The first person screen-by-screen point and click gameplay just works for me a lot better than watching a player avatar walk around to the interactive elements on screen. I also really enjoy some pure text adventures too, and I like the early King's Quest games oddly enough. There's just something about the Loony Tunes logic of stuff like Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango that just does not work for me at all.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Me, on new Year: I'm gonna save some money for Animal Crossing. Meanwhile, I'll try not to buy too many games.
Also me:
EOC68DwWoAAuPHj

WE HAVEN'T EVEN REACH THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY. YOU GOT FE3H FOR CHRISTMAS, ME! WHY ARE YOU STILL BUYING GAMEEEES!?.

Oct 26, 2017
is it a chill game? how does it run? graphics?
Very chill, you can play casually at your own pace or challenge yourself to more extreme driving as well as switch to hardcore mode which causes damage to affect handling and other parameters to be generally less forgiving.

Frame rate is pretty stable at around 30. Played for over 10 hours and only experienced noticeable dips on a very small number of occasions. Physics is fairly reactive, probably not as much as on pc but it's visually dynamic and affects the gameplay in meaningful ways. The vehicles each handle differently and add variety to the experience.

Been playing in handheld and resolution is sub-native. Most of the time it's okay in motion, screenshots make it look worse than it is. Cockpit mode is blurry though and some challenges may have a slightly lower resolution than others. As far as presentation the resolution seems to be the weakest link but if you're not too sensitive to that kind of thing it's by no means a deal breaker.

Recommended for the gameplay. Especially at the current price.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I have to get back o it because I stopped after being stuck in the thirst tier of the game.It is the example of what old school point and click provided challenge wise.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Optional, while you have to go to the first card hall, the rest of them can be ignored completely. Fighting the three bosses are actually proper boss fights, not card battles. I didn't like the card battles either at first but the more I played the more I enjoyed it. Its worth noting though, there is a secret boss tied to clearing all the card battles in the game, but even then you can just buy cheat items if you want to cheese it instead. Really the only reason not to use cheat cards is if you want to complete all the feats in the game.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Someone help me decide on an rpg to pick up after I finish up Divinity. I'll probably take a short break afterward because I've gotten so invested in DOS2 but I want something as a back up once I'm ready for it.

I was thinking of Pillars if Eternity but a few people have said the Switch version isn't up to par. I was also interested in Children of Morta until I found out it was a rouge like. So I've been thinking of either Neverwinter, Planscape/Baulders, Titan Quest or Dragons Dogma. Switch has been a great platform for me to play RPGs while I heal.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested to hear what you think after diving back in. I was one of the many excited for the game but deterred by all of the issues it was plagued with at release. The patch and next patch sound legit, but haven't seen much actual feedback yet.
Yep still sucks. glitches on glitches, game crashed once, got stuck in a squat animation, the clock tower level is atrocious, frame rate hits low teens I'd guess. It's playable, but I wouldn't say it's good. Not sure what the devs are doing but it's a terrible port of a game I really want to play. I'll still play it, but very disappointing at over half a year and still in this shape. Also video recording isn't available so they, probably, don't get spammed on blogs and twitter at what a mess it is.

Edit: Also load times are a joke, getting itno the game and between some levels. In the library there's a section where I stopped between floors, and jumping between takes upwards of a min to load, fall back down by accident, another min of waiting at a black screen.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yep still sucks. glitches on glitches, game crashed once, got stuck in a squat animation, the clock tower level is atrocious, frame rate hits low teens I'd guess. It's playable, but I wouldn't say it's good. Not sure what the devs are doing but it's a terrible port of a game I really want to play. I'll still play it, but very disappointing at over half a year and still in this shape. Also video recording isn't available so they, probably, don't get spammed on blogs and twitter at what a mess it is.

Edit: Also load times are a joke, getting itno the game and between some levels. In the library there's a section where I stopped between floors, and jumping between takes upwards of a min to load, fall back down by accident, another min of waiting at a black screen.

what game is this? sounds like Bloodstained lol.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I just finished Goose Game. Maybe a little lttp, but good grief is that game fun. And it's absolutely hilarious. I had some minor issues with the human characters seemingly having supernatural hearing and eyesight at times, making some tasks more difficult to complete than they should have been. But other than that, what a blast.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Pretty sure DSiWare games haven't been discussed in these threads since Antipole was delisted in September 2018, but anyway...

I think this year might be the year I finally buy up any remaining DSiWare games I haven't got around to yet, considering they never get discounted (RIP Club Nintendo coupons) and many of them are randomly vanishing as they're delisted without hardly anyone noticing or caring. Honestly it's kinda unsettling how the DSiWare catalogue is slowly eroding right underneath our noses (and even this list is missing some games like AlphaBounce, Zoonies, Car Jack Streets, Rabi Laby 1/2, and many more), but hey, it's 2020 so who cares about these ancient disposable digital oddities anymore, right? /s

So this morning I decided to waste a few hours sifting through all 448 DSiWare releases on the US 3DS eShop to see what I could (or couldn't) find. My wishlist is now filled with these games and next I have the task of whittling them down to the ones I only really feel like are must-haves. That said, if any of y'all have any obscure/underrated DSiWare suggestions, I'd love to hear them! lol

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone give Divinity II on Switch a try? I'm tempted to jump into that when I finally finish Switcher 3, but I'm concerned about the possibility of super tiny text.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Got MK8 + Steamworld Heist + Dead Cells. Not bad for $70.

Any thoughts on Risk of Rain 2? I quite enjoyed the first game on PS4 but didn't play enough of it.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 13 - Jump Gunners - BoomBox - $9.99/€9.99 - 232 MB
    --
  • 14 - Atelier Dusk Trilogy Deluxe Pack - Koei Tecmo Europe - $89.99/€89.99 - 19 GB
  • 14 - Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk DX - Koei Tecmo Europe - $39.99/€39.99 - 4.7 GB
  • 14 - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky DX - Koei Tecmo Europe - $39.99/€39.99 - 5.6 GB
  • 14 - Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea DX - Koei Tecmo Europe - $39.99/€39.99 - 5.9 GB
  • 14 - Squidlit - Squidlit Ink - $1.99/€1.59 - 176 MB
  • 14 - Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo - Bare Knuckle - $4.99/€4.39 - 668 MB
    --
  • 15 - Puzzle & Dragons Gold - GungHo - $14.99 - 1.5 GB
  • 15 - Demolish & Build 2018 - Ultimate Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 1.6 GB
    --
  • 16 - Super Crush KO - Vertex Pop - $14.99/€13.99 - 384 MB
  • 16 - To the Moon - Freebird Games/X.D. Network - $11.99/€11.99 - 795 MB
  • 16 - Self - indienova - $6.99/€6.29 - 245 MB
  • 16 - Seek Hearts - Kemco - $14.99/€14.99 - 161 MB
  • 16 - Anime Studio Story - Kairosoft - $14.00/€13.00 - 190 MB
  • 16 - Doggie Ninja The Burning Strikers - toydea - $8.00/€6.50 - 360 MB
  • 16 - Dreamwalker: Never Fall Asleep - Artifex Mundi - $14.99/€14.99 - 670 MB
  • 16 - Sorry, James - Nestor Yavorskyy - $4.99/€4.99 - 152 MB
  • 16 - Maitetsu: Pure Station - Circle Ent. - $34.99/€34.99 - 6.1 GB
    --
  • 17 - So Many Me: Extended Edition - Starcaster Games - €14.99 - 722 MB
  • 17 - Red Bow - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 78 MB
  • 17 - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - Atlus/Nintendo - $59.99/€59.99 - 11.2 GB
  • 17 - Spider Solitaire - Baltoro Games - $8.99/€8.99 - 296 MB

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone any idea how much Untold Stories is going to cost?

I'm sure I read it's out this week, but it's not listed in the post above.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a few games over the last week or so - Yoshi's Crafted World (thank you Target), Baba Is You, Risk of Rain 2, Return of the Obra Dinn, Celeste and Hollow Knight. Think that should see me through until Animal Crossing comes out. Super brief "just had a baby so can't play games much, why am I buying more?" impressions:

Yoshi's Crafted World - Played through the first couple of worlds, it's very charming. Looks like a relatively simple platformer so far but I like the little challenges (find the flowers) etc and the option to play through the levels again to find the little dog things. While I didn't get it for a dollar, I did get it relatively cheaply and for the price I paid I'm not complaining

Baba Is You - Have played through the whole of the first proper world (the lake?) - the difficulty really started to ramp up a little and I imagine it's only going to get harder, but I love that feeling of figuring out the right way to do something. Hopefully I'll continue to enjoy it when it gets tear-your-hair-out frustrating later on though, ha.

Return of the Obra Dinn - I love the concept and the art style, but the lack of any instructions around how to use the stopwatch had me confused to begin with. I didn't even pick it up at first because there didn't seem to be an option to do anything with the suitcase. Once i got going though I was totally on board. I'm really looking forward into digging into all this crews' fates and figuring out what really happened. I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy this a lot.

Haven't had a chance to check out Celeste or Hollow Knight yet. Plus I have Link's Awakening that I got for Christmas to finish and Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes which I'm eagerly awaiting playing with a group of friends. Probably should stop buying more games...

Anyone any idea how much Untold Stories is going to cost?

I'm sure I read it's out this week, but it's not listed in the post above.

You mean Stories Untold, right? The 80's esque text adventure-esque game? Hope that comes in at the right price point, it looks pretty great. Haven't seen a price anywhere for it though.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, Puzzle & Dragons Gold has only handheld mode according to eShop page. No tabletop or TV mode.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a few games over the last week or so - Yoshi's Crafted World (thank you Target), Baba Is You, Risk of Rain 2, Return of the Obra Dinn, Celeste and Hollow Knight. Think that should see me through until Animal Crossing comes out. Super brief "just had a baby so can't play games much, why am I buying more?" impressions:

Yoshi's Crafted World - Played through the first couple of worlds, it's very charming. Looks like a relatively simple platformer so far but I like the little challenges (find the flowers) etc and the option to play through the levels again to find the little dog things. While I didn't get it for a dollar, I did get it relatively cheaply and for the price I paid I'm not complaining

Baba Is You - Have played through the whole of the first proper world (the lake?) - the difficulty really started to ramp up a little and I imagine it's only going to get harder, but I love that feeling of figuring out the right way to do something. Hopefully I'll continue to enjoy it when it gets tear-your-hair-out frustrating later on though, ha.

Return of the Obra Dinn - I love the concept and the art style, but the lack of any instructions around how to use the stopwatch had me confused to begin with. I didn't even pick it up at first because there didn't seem to be an option to do anything with the suitcase. Once i got going though I was totally on board. I'm really looking forward into digging into all this crews' fates and figuring out what really happened. I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy this a lot.

Haven't had a chance to check out Celeste or Hollow Knight yet. Plus I have Link's Awakening that I got for Christmas to finish and Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes which I'm eagerly awaiting playing with a group of friends. Probably should stop buying more games...

You mean Stories Untold, right? The 80's esque text adventure-esque game? Hope that comes in at the right price point, it looks pretty great. Haven't seen a price anywhere for it though.

Yes I did mean that 😅