• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear. I'm amazed by the Witcher 3 port. The visual downgrade is not nearly as much as what I expected. It's a wonder.

Aye! I genuinely thought the Switch was doomed to fail and now that's it's three years later I can hardly believe some of my most played games on it are Divinity, The Witcher and Civilisation VI. Is this real life?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Aye! I genuinely thought the Switch was doomed to fail and now that's it's three years later I can hardly believe some of my most played games on it are Divinity, The Witcher and Civilisation VI. Is this real life?

It's been wild to witness how barren the Switch launch window was compared to the gigantic selection we're spoiled to choose from today. I still remember those early months where I would obsessively check the eShop every day or even multiple times a day to see if there was any movement in the best sellers or anything new added to the coming soon tab. I was starved for content. Lots of us were, hence the "Switch haz no gamez" meme that has since been thoroughly made obsolete.

Nowadays if someone says the Switch is lacking content, it's a good way to easily ascertain if they're clueless and/or insane. Pretty convenient identifer. 🥴

How does Nintendo even approve of this?

Again we can look back at the launch window where VOEZ was the first touchscreen-only game released for the system only a week after launch (but has since been patched for docked compatibility). Since then we've seen a few other games with similar restrictions but they're still pretty uncommon. Joy-Con support isn't required if the dev doesn't want to include it.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat Hyperlight Drifter and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. It was a pretty fun and stylish game but the complete lack of any text or dialogue in the game started grating on me. The loop of go to new area find these 3 hidden keys use them to unlock the boss and then move to the next area kind of got stale. Plus the chain dash just felt super finicky and seems like it was kind of just pointless. Glad I played it and for $13 I got my money's worth but I'd say it was just like a 7/10. Some cool boss fights, though!

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just beat Hyperlight Drifter and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. It was a pretty fun and stylish game but the complete lack of any text or dialogue in the game started grating on me. The loop of go to new area find these 3 hidden keys use them to unlock the boss and then move to the next area kind of got stale. Plus the chain dash just felt super finicky and seems like it was kind of just pointless. Glad I played it and for $13 I got my money's worth but I'd say it was just like a 7/10. Some cool boss fights, though!
I really liked it, but I thought it was definitely overrated. I remember when it came out it was sort of..everywhere, it was that year's indie darling. Maybe it's because it was the first of that style of game and so many have come out since so it didn't have as much of an impact one me?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked it, but I thought it was definitely overrated. I remember when it came out it was sort of..everywhere, it was that year's indie darling. Maybe it's because it was the first of that style of game and so many have come out since so it didn't have as much of an impact one me?
Yeah that might be why I was expecting more? Just didn't match up to the hype that is saw around it. Not saying it's bad just expected better I think.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that might be why I was expecting more? Just didn't match up to the hype that is saw around it. Not saying it's bad just expected better I think.
I would agree. It's one of many indie games that I've played recently that have really amazing gameplay and visuals, but the story seems to be purposely vague and mysterious, but that doesn't equate to "satisfying". Katana Zero was the same.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
HLD was ok. It was fine. I havent doubled dipped so clearly it didnt leave an impression tho.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
You guys know that Hyper Light Drifter plot is basically an allegory for a very serious heart condition the dev has been fighting for years, right? I think the game gets way more interesting when you know about that, because the vagueness of the plot starts making sense:

www.theguardian.com

Hyper Light Drifter – how heart disease inspired one of 2016's great games

The central character in this brilliant new game is haunted by a deadly illness – something with which creator Alex Preston is all-too familiar

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puyo Puyo Champions is under $5 again! Should note that the game now has an amazing lesson mode that can teach you how to Puyo.

Also Tokyo Mirage Sessions is going to have the usual $10 Walmart discount if you don't mind getting a physical copy.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm enjoying Sniper Elite 3 so much that I ended up buying Sniper Elite 2 too. Hopefully they port 4. :)

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I am now 45 hours into Cities: Skylines for the Switch. The last 20 hours have been half in dock mode. My city now has 74k pop. Game still running good. And I'd like to retract my previous issue. It still happens, but finally figured out what it is. It's cause once the city is large enough, the game has a little trouble figuring out proper routes for cars/people. If you leave the game alone for a few minutes and do anything but build new roads, the game works it all out and catched up and everything is good. So this, while is a issue for cities over 40k, it does resolve itself on it's own after a few minutes. So, mainly occurs when you start up the game as well as modifying a busy section.

I actually just unlocked airplanes. Still a great game.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I've got like $12ish left to spend and I can't decide what to get.

The Messenger
Horizon Chase Turbo
Enter The Gungeon + Kero Blaster (could get both for the remaining $$)

Or just go something completely different?? A shmup maybe? I'd really like a game like Resogun or one where you progressively get stronger the more you replay it. Failing that, old school Menace style one.

There really are just too many games, I can't even decide on a genre lol.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Puyo Puyo Champions is under $5 again! Should note that the game now has an amazing lesson mode that can teach you how to Puyo.

Also Tokyo Mirage Sessions is going to have the usual $10 Walmart discount if you don't mind getting a physical copy.
The thing is, if one considers this game or bomberman , one probably doesn't have money / don't want to pay for nintendo online service too. If a similar game existed in f2p form I would definately consider this (also I already have puyo puyo x tetris ).

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Super Crush KO is almost here! Highlight of the week for me for sure.

Who needs dancing pop idols and Fire Emblem characters when you have lush pastel violence and laser beams?

screenshot6-1.png

Really intrigued by this. Liked Graceful Explosion Machine a lot. This looks radically different, yet familiar too.

XPert

Dec 4, 2017

The Messenger
Horizon Chase Turbo

Or just go something completely different?? A shmup maybe? I'd really like a game like Resogun or one where you progressively get stronger the more you replay it. Failing that, old school Menace style one.

Aqua Kitty UDX is Resogun analog.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Finished off Ori. Great fun and it only gets better later in the game as it gets more creative with its platforming. Also, the new powerups (dash and grenades) are fantastic, I love how you can boost off a grenade to gain further height - pair that with other moves at your disposal and you can reach all manor of hidden areas.
Also, its one of the only Metroidvania games that basically makes backtracking fun because of the movement/traversal.
Hyped for the sequel. Now onto Blaster Master Zero 2...

I need to give Ori another try.

The Messenger
Horizon Chase Turbo

Of those options, (I have all 3) I'd go with ETG. I enjoyed the other two, but I dropped off them because there's better options in Switch. I think ETG is the best at what it does.

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017

The Messenger
Horizon Chase Turbo

I think the Messenger is the best of that list. This is especially true is you have a soft spot for 8/16 bit games.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Not normally in to turn based JRPGs but something about Tokyo Mirage Sessions has me pretty excited to play the game.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Finished off Ori. Great fun and it only gets better later in the game as it gets more creative with its platforming. Also, the new powerups (dash and grenades) are fantastic, I love how you can boost off a grenade to gain further height - pair that with other moves at your disposal and you can reach all manor of hidden areas.
Also, its one of the only Metroidvania games that basically makes backtracking fun because of the movement/traversal.
Hyped for the sequel. Now onto Blaster Master Zero 2...

This was our first time playing the DE also, anf we finished it up with 100% on normal difficulty yesterday. A few years ago when we first played it my wife had me do the hardest parts, but this time she was able to do them so I was super proud of course. I agree with you, the new powerups are a lot of fun. The platforming was buttery smooth as before, the game is beautiful and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel in two months. adam prime I hope you enjoy it a lot more when you next try it, I'll be interested in reading your impressions!

To me it's a bit easier. But it may be that in 1998 I was more efficient as an adventure gamer.
If you managed to get through all of Broken Age, you'll be fine.
Grim Fandango came out at the very tail end of the 90's arm race to make harder, more obscure puzzles for adventure game fans to solve. Adventure games had been a big thing since the early days of computing and while their popularity was fading fast by that point the creators still wanted to please the hardcore fans of this 20 year old genre, so they kept making harder and harder puzzles for the people who had seen and done just about everything at that point.

I have to get back o it because I stopped after being stuck in the thirst tier of the game.It is the example of what old school point and click provided challenge wise.

Thanks all for your thoughts and impressions about Grim Fandango vs. Broken Age. I'll be sure to report back once we've tried the game. QuixoticNeutral I completely agree that the knot puzzle was the most obtuse in the game, and we too found the space weaver puzzle to be one of the most satisfying. The snake/tuba puzzle was another fave that played with expectations. I really love the world and interactions in that game...they feel truly original and super charming.

Just bought Okami HD and Broken Age (>°.°)>

Nabbit Dash Kappei

Are you italians? ^_^

I'll look forward to reading your impressions! ^^
Pretty sure Dash Kappei is, but the closest I get to being Italian is when I make cold fermented Neapolitan pizza dough.

-

Pizza Dog congrats on the baby! I was glad to get to read your impressions of baba is you (haven't played it) and Crafted World (loved it). With CW, I really felt like the first couple world's werenmore ok the same and a bit dull side, but as you continue through that game the creativity is really astounding, and of you go for the challenges and 100% in a level they're quite tough. One of the bosses in the game has got to be one of the hardest bosses in a traditional 2D platforming Nintendo game.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
So when is the Civ VI expansion pack going to be on sale in Europe? It has been for the last week or so in the US.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
This was our first time playing the DE also, anf we finished it up with 100% on normal difficulty yesterday. A few years ago when we first played it my wife had me do the hardest parts, but this time she was able to do them so I was super proud of course. I agree with you, the new powerups are a lot of fun. The platforming was buttery smooth as before, the game is beautiful and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel in two months. adam prime I hope you enjoy it a lot more when you next try it, I'll be interested in reading your impressions!

Thanks all for your thoughts and impressions about Grim Fandango vs. Broken Age. I'll be sure to report back once we've tried the game. QuixoticNeutral I completely agree that the knot puzzle was the most obtuse in the game, and we too found the space weaver puzzle to be one of the most satisfying. The snake/tuba puzzle was another fave that played with expectations. I really love the world and interactions in that game...they feel truly original and super charming.

I'll look forward to reading your impressions! ^^
Pretty sure Dash Kappei is, but the closest I get to being Italian is when I make cold fermented Neapolitan pizza dough.

-

Pizza Dog congrats on the baby! I was glad to get to read your impressions of baba is you (haven't played it) and Crafted World (loved it). With CW, I really felt like the first couple world's werenmore ok the same and a bit dull side, but as you continue through that game the creativity is really astounding, and of you go for the challenges and 100% in a level they're quite tough. One of the bosses in the game has got to be one of the hardest bosses in a traditional 2D platforming Nintendo game.

Oh, I must've missed that post before. Yeah, I'm Italian (although I don't live in Italy anymore).

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I'm kinda hyped for this.

It really looks great to play!

I'm sad I'm not able to look past its artstyle, like with GEM before (which was also great to play).

The audiovisual part is almost equally important to me for this kind of games.

edit: whoops posted a new one instead of adding to the previous post

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
There's so many games on sale on the Eshop, it's insane. I can't make up my mind on what I want to buy! I wanted to get momodora but I already have it on PC but never got far in it.

Anyone recommend any platformera that's on sale? I've currently played Ori, Momodora and the mega man games.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
There's so many games on sale on the Eshop, it's insane. I can't make up my mind on what I want to buy! I wanted to get momodora but I already have it on PC but never got far in it.

Anyone recommend any platformera that's on sale? I've currently played Ori, Momodora and the mega man games.

If you haven't played it, I would recommend Shovel Knight, it is the best 2D platformer on the system IMO.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dec 2, 2019
Oh, I must've missed that post before. Yeah, I'm Italian (although I don't live in Italy anymore).
I knew! Well, I hope you don't miss it too much

Nabbit that homemade pizza should be great, unless you don't put pineapple on it, that is.
Actually, I live at 70km from Naples (45 minutes by car) in a city called Salerno (135k inhabitants). So we have excellent pizza, too.

I'd like to give you impressions on Broken Age, if only I weren't hooked again by Okami. Boy, this game will never stop being a masterpiece.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Glad to hear that things get a little tougher as it goes on! The art style is really great and as I said it's super charming so I'm looking forward to getting stuck more into it. I think Return of the Obra Dinn is going to take priority though - really looking forward to digging into that more.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Anyone else thinking of jumping in on Puzzle & Dragons? I loved Puzzle & Dragons Z on 3DS, hoping that this one lives up to it.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm having mixed feelings about Blasphemous. It's on many aspects a complete rip-off of Dark Souls, but there's a genuine will to do things well. I'm having a decent time with it, but some parts are downright tedious and the traversal isn't that interesting compared to something like Hollow Knight. Neither is combat unfortunately, though it's decent.
Dark Souls gameplay works well in 3D, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to try to be 100% faithful when transferring it to a 2D plan. Also, the lore is sometimes a little bit confusing, though I'm pretty sure it's done on purpose as well.
Overall, I still believe that it's a good game, but I feel that it could have been much better.

bradigor

Oct 27, 2017
What time does the US eShop update? Waiting to spend credit on Puzzle and Dragons Gold. Hoping it isn't going to be super late in the UK.