• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It's SE2. I love it, but I would recommend 3 over 2 if you are only getting one. SE3 is the better game.
Started playing Sniper Elite 3, and I am so bad at it that I was getting my ass kicked again and again in the first couple of missions even though I am playing at the very lowest difficulty... But I am slowly getting the hang of it (I think). Fun game, and it looks great and plays well (imo)!

Dec 2, 2019
Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?! releases on january 29th

It reminds me I have yet to boot CSD2, which I'm sure I purchased on sale based on some impressions from this very thread.

Oh Switch, this is getting ridiculous

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Wait is PAD gold coming out in Europe or US only? I'm sure I saw it was being released in Europe somewhere.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Started playing Sniper Elite 3, and I am so bad at it that I was getting my ass kicked again and again in the first couple of missions even though I am playing at the very lowest difficulty... But I am slowly getting the hang of it (I think). Fun game, and it looks great and plays well (imo)!
It's a bit rough at first, but you will get the hang of it! One suggestion I give you is to change the difficulty to custom and put ballistics to realistic, then disable the aim assist in the options menu. You will have to consider gravity and wind, but it makes hitting your targets so much more satisfying. Give it a go!

Dec 2, 2019
3366.png

Icon is good enough.

this will be 22,99€ with a pre-purchase 10% discount (20,69€) until january 27th

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Puzzles & Dragons Gold is up in North America and it's on sale for $9.99 till the 31st. Most likely buying today, will post impressions when I get a chance to sit down with it.

Dec 2, 2019
I haven't played that yet, either! I do own it for Switch, though. I grabbed it when it was on sale.
Fact is, it's grabbing attention and is well received elsewhere. Development started in 2012 iirc and Switch version comes with the final act (Act V), so it's a complete version with all the adjustments it got over time I think.

Oxenfree is good and fairly short, you could give it a shot maybe.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's a point & click game with really good writing, music and visuals. Not heavy on puzzles, but you do have to figure out stuff from time to time. Oxenfree is a good comparison but if the writing was 500x better. It's like reading a good magic realism novel.

Well, shit, now I'm interested (beyond being a native Kentuckian, which doesn't hurt). Just ended up downloading Puzzle & Dragons, too. I think I've gone from "nothing in January" to P&D, Kentucky Route Zero and Moon Remix (if it makes January).

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
It's a point & click game with really good writing, music and visuals. Not heavy on puzzles, but you do have to figure out stuff from time to time. Oxenfree is a good comparison but if the writing was 500x better. It's like reading a good magic realism novel.

yeah Kentucky route zero is fantastic. I played Act 1 a long time ago on PC and was waiting for it all to be released before completing it.

I'm pretty sure the dev released a related project in the same universe(?) for free on PC which is definitely worth checking out, and will give an idea of how good the writing is.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
yeah Kentucky route zero is fantastic. I played Act 1 a long time ago on PC and was waiting for it all to be released before completing it.

I'm pretty sure the dev released a related project in the same universe(?) for free on PC which is definitely worth checking out, and will give an idea of how good the writing is.
They released several, there's a free interlude between every episode (and they're all included in TV edition). They're super reduced in scope and might confuse some people, but yeah, if anyone's on the fence that's something they could do to check out the tone/writing of the game.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I played Shovel Knight when it first came out and thought it was pretty mediocre, but I recently decided to give the other DLC story modes a go and I'm glad I did. Plague Knight is just all around better than SK, and King Knight's Wario Land-inspired gameplay and bite sized levels are a nice change of pace, plus I'm a nut for weird card games so that's up my alley. Specter Knight has a nice story but his gameplay isn't as good as the others. I really like how the other knight modes not only overshadow SK but
each one ends up showing how much of a frustrating dick he actually is.

I wouldn't call any of them great games on their own, but taken together I have to say that Yacht Club games has done a good job of diversifying the gameplay, and the way they've fleshed out the world, the knights, and interweaved their various journeys is quite satisfying.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I played Shovel Knight when it first came out and thought it was pretty mediocre, but I recently decided to give the other DLC story modes a go and I'm glad I did. Plague Knight is just all around better than SK, and King Knight's Wario Land-inspired gameplay and bite sized levels are a nice change of pace, plus I'm a nut for weird card games so that's up my alley. Specter Knight has a nice story but his gameplay isn't as good as the others. I really like how the other knight modes not only overshadow SK but
each one ends up showing how much of a frustrating dick he actually is.

I wouldn't call any of them great games on their own, but taken together I have to say that Yacht Club games has done a good job of diversifying the gameplay, and the way they've fleshed out the world, the knights, and interweaved their various journeys is quite satisfying.

I'm playing through King of Cards at the moment, getting near the end now I think. I've avoided Joustus because it didn't click with me at all, but I've really enjoyed the King's campaign, his moveset is a lot of fun.

I enjoyed Specter Knight's as well, but could not stand Plague Knight's. Trying to control him was a nightmare.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Ive been eyeing The Witcher 3 to get before the sale ends, but I gotta ask: Does it really look that bad? Anyone whose played it on a TV/monitor know if its actually as blurry as it looks?
I've pulled up the Digital Foundry video at 1080p fullscreen on my monitor to try and emulate what the game would look like, and I feel like it would give me a headache with that low resolution and blur

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Puzzles & Dragons Gold is up in North America and it's on sale for $9.99 till the 31st. Most likely buying today, will post impressions when I get a chance to sit down with it.

I really wanted to get this until I heard it's mostly PvP stuff. Might get it anyway since it's only $10, but we'll see.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
So uh

Bloodstained 1.04 on Switch is out. I just downloaded it. I made a habit of checking for updates on the game every time I turned on my Switch and I was shocked to see it actually found an update just now.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
It's a bit rough at first, but you will get the hang of it! One suggestion I give you is to change the difficulty to custom and put ballistics to realistic, then disable the aim assist in the options menu. You will have to consider gravity and wind, but it makes hitting your targets so much more satisfying. Give it a go!
So they are having a hard time with the game and you want them to make the game even tougher?! Yikes!

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Cosmic Star Heroine. It was a very well made game that simply didn't grab me as much as I expected it to. I enjoyed it okay, but I was waiting for it to end by halfway through the third planet.

I did kill both hidden superbosses I found, though.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
So uh

Bloodstained 1.04 on Switch is out. I just downloaded it. I made a habit of checking for updates on the game every time I turned on my Switch and I was shocked to see it actually found an update just now.
You'd hope that they might bother to post an update to the Kickstarter project to let backers know... though I can't say that I'm overly surprised that they haven't.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
How are the ports of AC ROGUE and AC4BF performance-wise? Exclusively interested on handheld's gameplay.

I got bored with Black Flag after 5 hours (o XBO) but I'm always hoping that the next AC game will be the one to finally have the series click with me. AC2/Brotherhood were the only two to kinda interest me cause they were original, with a great settings etc. I think "maybe this time the combat won't be so bad and the parkour so tele-guided... lol

It's SE2. I played it on PS4 and loved it.
It's SE2. I love it, but I would recommend 3 over 2 if you are only getting one. SE3 is the better game.

Alright guys thanks!
I remember playing SE2 on PC (and maybe Xbox via Gold if that was a thing that existed) and the controls were super clunky.
Has it been polished a bit?

Question is for SE3 too, since that one seems to be even more

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Just finished Cosmic Star Heroine. It was a very well made game that simply didn't grab me as much as I expected it to. I enjoyed it okay, but I was waiting for it to end by halfway through the third planet.

I did kill both hidden superbosses I found, though.

Yeah I felt similar. I really enjoyed the pace of it at the beginning, when you escape the base, go to the fair, fight the giant robot and then board the underwater ship. It felt really snappy, constantly getting new party members replacing old ones, most fights were unique story beats rather than just dungeon mobs, and no section outstayed it's welcome. But it started to drag for me towards the end, and I felt it ended up being about 3-5 hours too long. A shorter game with the pacing of the first half would be amazing.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
How are the ports of AC ROGUE and AC4BF performance-wise? Exclusively interested on handheld's gameplay.

I got bored with Black Flag after 5 hours (o XBO) but I'm always hoping that the next AC game will be the one to finally have the series click with me. AC2/Brotherhood were the only two to kinda interest me cause they were original, with a great settings etc. I think "maybe this time the combat won't be so bad and the parkour so tele-guided... lol

Alright guys thanks!
I remember playing SE2 on PC (and maybe Xbox via Gold if that was a thing that existed) and the controls were super clunky.

Yeah, movement in SE2 is still clunky. Feels like an old school game sometimes, which it is I guess. You can crouch, go prone, enter cover, etc. The options are there but all feels janky and stilted.

Sniper Elite 3 is much better. It's no MGSV mind you, but at least it plays like a standard modern third person stealth/shooter.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So, yes, Puzzle & Dragons Gold really should have been called something like "Puzzle & Dragons Vs." because it really is just a PvP online game. The presentation is slick, but the "story" -- which is a very generous description -- mode pretty much amounts to rolling out of bed, fighting three battles, now you're the champion.

I'm having fun playing P&D again on Switch, but I have a feeling I'll just get absolutely skronked when I go online, and it won't be very fun. If you were hoping for something like Puzzle & Dragons Z on the 3DS (like I was) this is not it. There are no RPG elements -- shit, you can't even change your team in the story mode -- and all the customization and growth features for the creatures you collect are absent. The basic battle system is pretty different, too, in terms of how turns and damage work. There's a very simple tutorial, extremely basic avatar choices, your team building menu, the gatcha machine, random single player matches, a story mode of maybe about 10 total levels, local multiplayer, online multiplayer, and there's your game. If you're into that, $10 might be worth it, but do not expect an RPG or even an RPG-lite experience.

Should also mention I've had the game freeze once already.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Alright guys thanks!

Nothing seems to me to be clunky in SE3 except the inability to climb in a lot of places, especially with me being a sniper... I guess botw spoiled me

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Sega Ages version of Sonic 2 finally has new info in the fact that it'll have....Knuckles like when you used S2 on S&K.

At least it's back in the news so maybe it'll be out soon, but that seems like the least the port could include.

Oct 28, 2019
Ive been eyeing The Witcher 3 to get before the sale ends, but I gotta ask: Does it really look that bad? Anyone whose played it on a TV/monitor know if its actually as blurry as it looks?
I've pulled up the Digital Foundry video at 1080p fullscreen on my monitor to try and emulate what the game would look like, and I feel like it would give me a headache with that low resolution and blur

It's very blurry but the art style makes it a fucking marvel to look at. On handheld it is a certified blow me away. TV less so. Can still recommend getting it as one of the games of the generation though.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
It's very blurry but the art style makes it a fucking marvel to look at. On handheld it is a certified blow me away. TV less so. Can still recommend getting it as one of the games of the generation though.
Yeah, it mostly depend on the distance you keep between you and the screen. Portable it's a wonder, but you need some distance on the big screen. On my TV it's all right because I'm more than 2 meters away, but on my PC monitor, it's a bit worse because I'm closer to it.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Rain World has only been on sale once (in EU) and that is soon to be one year ago (february)... some games just seem to be forgotten by their own publisher?

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Rain World has only been on sale once (in EU) and that is soon to be one year ago (february)... some games just seem to be forgotten by their own publisher?

Phantom Braker has never been on sale if I'm not wrong. 8 euros isn't expensive but, after one year and half waiting, I can't buy it full price without remorse.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

I grabbed it at that time and never finished it, though I really loved it. But there's a sense of dread in this game, something that genuinely scares me and I haven't touched it in months. I'm thinking of restarting a game now that there's not much releasing that interests me...

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed it at that time and never finished it, though I really loved it. But there's a sense of dread in this game, something that genuinely scares me and I haven't touched it in months. I'm thinking of restarting a game now that there's not much releasing that interests me...

This is how I feel. I love the game, but it's very mentally taxing. I have to be on a very specific mindset to tackle it, otherwise I would just get frustrated.

I had a ton of very rewarding moments when you realize how the environment and the fauna/Flora works. It feels like I was a human ancestor figuring out how the world around me works. Failing is a vital part of the process.

That being said, I suggest reading the section of gameplay in the wiki, since it has a lot of moves that the game doesn't even hint.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
So, yes, Puzzle & Dragons Gold really should have been called something like "Puzzle & Dragons Vs." because it really is just a PvP online game. The presentation is slick, but the "story" -- which is a very generous description -- mode pretty much amounts to rolling out of bed, fighting three battles, now you're the champion.

I'm having fun playing P&D again on Switch, but I have a feeling I'll just get absolutely skronked when I go online, and it won't be very fun. If you were hoping for something like Puzzle & Dragons Z on the 3DS (like I was) this is not it. There are no RPG elements -- shit, you can't even change your team in the story mode -- and all the customization and growth features for the creatures you collect are absent. The basic battle system is pretty different, too, in terms of how turns and damage work. There's a very simple tutorial, extremely basic avatar choices, your team building menu, the gatcha machine, random single player matches, a story mode of maybe about 10 total levels, local multiplayer, online multiplayer, and there's your game. If you're into that, $10 might be worth it, but do not expect an RPG or even an RPG-lite experience.

Should also mention I've had the game freeze once already.

Thanks for the impressions. I really wanted another premium PAD game with rpg features like the 3ds games but apparently the switch game is not that. Guess I'll skip this. Shame.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up Sundered at $6+ - loving it so far. Game has style for days - and the metroid meets arabian knights vibe I'm getting is pretty awesome. And that skill tree.... ok, I'm hooked.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Yeah, I also didn't pick that one up when it was on sale the last couple times, and now that I'm more interested in the game, it apparently stopped going on sale completely. Oh well.
It was on sale last year for the New Year, so I had high hopes... Started the game on Game Pass but stopped to play it on Switch...

DKoops

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Japanese downloads for January 15

- Puzzle & Dragons GOLD (1500 yen)
- Arcade Archives Detana!! TwinBee (838 yen)
- Red Bow (500 yen)
- To The Moon (1200 yen)
- One-Way Ticket (750 yen)
- SEGA AGES Puyo Puyo Tsu (999 yen)
- Hob: The Definitive Edition (2378 yen)
- Joggernauts (1500 yen)
- Maitetsu -Pure station- (4180 yen)
- Anime Studio Story (1500 yen)
- Degrees of Separation (2000 yen)
- SELF (690 yen)
- Seek Hearts (1320 yen)
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (7370 yen, available Jan. 16)