• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/198x

very interesting 198X review.

Only downside is the short lenght, you can beat it in around 1 hour, ooof

it's 10€/$ anyway, but still
Its really easy as well. No real challenge, I ran through the PS4 one and the only difficult stuff was the trophies, and honestly those still weren't that hard. Its a fun experience but honestly its something I'd recommend waiting for a price cut, each of the mini games weren't very replayable.

Dec 2, 2019
Its really easy as well. No real challenge, I ran through the PS4 one and the only difficult stuff was the trophies, and honestly those still weren't that hard. Its a fun experience but honestly its something I'd recommend waiting for a price cut, each of the mini games weren't very replayable.
Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, maybe when it'll be on sale, no need to pick it up now with all the backlog and stuff.

Dash Kappei Now we can be friends on the Switch :)

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I have to echo what folks in this thread have been saying about Super Crush KO and how quickly it ends. It was my biggest concern going into it and now that I've beaten the last boss I can't help but feel that another set of levels was needed along with an ending that didn't feel so rushed and abrupt. Also I think the lack of an endless "arena"-type mode was a huge missed opportunity.

I still see myself wringing quite a few more hours out if it by means of trying to attain those S+ ranks, similar to how my greatest enjoyment with Graceful Explosion Machine was revisiting all of the levels to better my scores/ranking. This game is simply far too good as a cohesive gameplay/art style/music package to be left at just one playthrough before moving on to lesser games.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Man, the Switch version of Okami is absolutely brilliant. Been playing that for a while and I love it more than I loved back when I played the original.

The game looks gorgeous on the Switch screen. It's hard to believe this is a PS2 game. No game from that era has aged this well except Wind Waker probably.

And the touchscreen celestial brush is a game changer. It vastly improves the pacing of the game. The HD rumble is also very well done.

What a brilliant game... and it's on sale now! This is peak Capcom on Switch and it won't ever get better than that.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Man, the Switch version of Okami is absolutely brilliant. Been playing that for a while and I love it more than I loved back when I played the original.

The game looks gorgeous on the Switch screen. It's hard to believe this is a PS2 game. No game from that era has aged this well except Wind Waker probably.

And the touchscreen celestial brush is a game changer. It vastly improves the pacing of the game. The HD rumble is also very well done.

What a brilliant game... and it's on sale now! This is peak Capcom on Switch and it won't ever get better than that.
I dropped it a while ago and tried to go back recently but had no idea what to do. I'll restart my save and try to stick with it the whole way through eventually.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Ya I enjoyed enough to beat it the same day I bought it which is rare. It has a good flow to combat though I wish it had more variety. I was also expecting more (ie challenge modes) once I beat it. $10 would've been a better price for this game.
The studio that made the game consists of 5 ppl and that might explains why the game is short and left me wanting more. $10 sounds about right but the game is definitely good. I would probably pay for a few more levels, challenege modes, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate all the early word on Super Crush KO. I'd marked it out as something to pick up at launch, since I had complete faith in the developers after Graceful Explosion Machine, but I've been a bit too inundated with other games to get to it, short as it seems to be. Might still pick it up while the launch discount is active, though.

-Leaderboards and score tracking are done well here. I was playing the game while at a dog park (no Wifi) but was still able to upload all of my scores later.

Back in 2017 I specifically wrote the developers about putting an "upload later" feature into the leaderboards in GEM, and was delighted that they patched it in a few months out from launch, although by that point I had too much else to play and didn't wind up going back to the game to mop up my remaining S+ ranks. I no longer play my Switch handheld/offline as much as I did back then, but I'm very pleased to see this feature return.

I have to echo what folks in this thread have been saying about Super Crush KO and how quickly it ends. It was my biggest concern going into it and now that I've beaten the last boss I can't help but feel that another set of levels was needed along with an ending that didn't feel so rushed and abrupt. Also I think the lack of an endless "arena"-type mode was a huge missed opportunity.

I still see myself wringing quite a few more hours out if it by means of trying to attain those S+ ranks, similar to how my greatest enjoyment with Graceful Explosion Machine was revisiting all of the levels to better my scores/ranking. This game is simply far too good as a cohesive gameplay/art style/music package to be left at just one playthrough before moving on to lesser games.

That's unfortunate. GEM felt abrupt and short too, but the single-segment challenges (where you try to clear an entire world from start to finish) were a big jump up and extended the life of the game considerably. I found that I enjoyed GEM the most when I took the time to get at least A-ranks before continuing to the next level, then sweeping every world for S-ranks, then S+ (though I didn't finish that). To my surprise, it only added up to about 10-15 hours, which was much less than it felt—but that's what happens when you have a game that is so action-packed with quick transitions and seamless reloads.

I'll take it as a warning that if I get around to Super Crush KO, I shouldn't hurry my way from level to level there either. As someone who did love GEM and is very much into chasing scores (if not necessarily perfect S+ scores) in this sort of game, I hope it still feels like fair value at the end of the experience.

Dec 2, 2019

Yeah, this game looks incredible and it hasn't aged a bit visually.
I used to love it back in the day and to play it on the go makes me love it even more, somehow. This art style will never get old, when in motion this is still the best looking game in history imho, I just can't get enough and I can see me playing it in 20 years and say exactly the same.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If the Pokemon save is the most important thing, I would probably wait until she's done with the game. Since there is no way to back it up yourself, I wouldn't trust Nintendo not to wipe the system or send out a refurb instead of repairing it.
The only potential issue I can see from waiting is if it's currently under warranty, and this is the difference between a free warranty repair or not. I don't know, but would assume that an out-of-warranty repair could be expensive.

Can't he move the pokemon save over to his switch? I thought that was one of the saves that you can't copy but you can move (as opposed to something like Yugioh which allows neither).

edited to add: ah, I missed a page of discussion about it already. I didn't know you could move the Yugioh save via profile.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I want to buy To The Moon, but somehow it's not available for me to buy? Somebody know wgat's going one here? I never encountered this before...

tothemoono3kw5.jpg

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dec 2, 2019
mhhh tempted by Cave Story at 10€ (67% off and lowest ever)

meanwhile I purchased Vectronom yesterday. First impressions are good!

You control this little square in this rhythm based puzzle platformer, music seems dope. Maybe I'll elaborate on this later on. The game is 30% off until tomorrow iirc

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ on sale for £17.99. I already have it on the PS4, do I really want to double-dip and unlock eeeeeverything that I've managed to unlock again? Some of that stuff was a total fluke. But Isaac on Switch means Isaac anywhere...

Dec 2, 2019
So it seems West of Loathing's "Reckonin' at Gun Manor" DLC is available now.

the game is currently 5,40€ in Europe (lowest ever). I dropped it too soon despite enjoying what I played, I just don't remember what other game grabbed my interest. Whatever, I don't know if it's free or not

bradigor

Oct 27, 2017

I thought it was wonderful from start to finish. It lasted the length of a movie which felt right for the story. The games fit the narrative well and played their part. Simple to play and again the right length.

My review for Mental Health Gaming: http://bit.ly/37g0324

I can see why some will have issues with the length and simplicity, but that is something that really helped it in my opinion.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was wonderful from start to finish. It lasted the length of a movie which felt right for the story. The games fit the narrative well and played their part. Simple to play and again the right length.

My review for Mental Health Gaming: http://bit.ly/37g0324

I can see why some will have issues with the length and simplicity, but that is something that really helped it in my opinion.
I enjoyed it, I just would have preferred they added more challenge into certain mini games - the Outrun style racing game for example is way too long when very little challenge is actually going on - a good 50%+ of it is wide open roads with 0 challenge - granted it for story exposition but it could have tried to keep me engaged a little more by giving me something to do while this bit plays out.
Likewise the beat em up opening is just too short and easy with a lack of enemy variety, combo/combat variety and no end boss either.
The R Type, Phantasy Star games were great, felt complete so no complaints there. The Strider esque thing was good fun, would have preferred a proper end combo to what we got, but it was still pretty fun for the short time it lasts.

Speaking of replaying games though, they really needed to have instant restart AND the ability to skip the openings - it takes so long to get into a game from the opening menu that I gave up on the last couple of trophies on the PS4 version because it would take forever to restart the game for no good reason.

I do hope a sequel, DLC or whatever ends up happening to continue the story, as it very much felt like the beginning of a bigger story.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

the game is currently 5,40€ in Europe (lowest ever). I dropped it too soon despite enjoying what I played, I just don't remember what other game grabbed my interest. Whatever, I don't know if it's free or not
Thanks for the heads up for the DLC, was not aware it even existed.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Tangle Tower. I absolutely loved it until I got to the ending, which is pretty anticlimactic. It's a very "human" ending, but I think it could have been a bit more fleshed out. Everything before that was great though. The art is super charming and there's a lot of humour in the writing, especially if you present everything to everyone. Totally worth it for visual novel/point and click/murder mystery fans (it reminded me a lot of Professor Layton and Ace Attorney at times).

One odd thing and one thing my art experience must criticize:
1. You could never replace paint with blood and not expect the artist to notice. The fact that Felix outright said he noticed the replaced red "paint" (blood) was more viscous than the other red paint had me staring at the screen in bafflement. Paint straight out of a tube or bottle is thick as hell. You have to thin it if you want it to be anywhere near water. Especially since Freya had to have been using oils, as you could never use watercolours or acrylics on that style of palette. /nerd criticism

2. The game just never acknowledges that the "cliffs" around the lake are the remains of a giant eggshell, eh
I concur and this is exactly how I felt once I finished Tangle Tower. I do love how "human" the ending felt but it still felt abrupt, especially considering the buildup leading to the reveal.

Still a phenomenal experience though.

I'm in awe after finishing Stories Untold.

I think I haven't experienced anything like it in gaming at least in the storytelling department.

I know it's not a game for everybody, but it clicked all the right spots for me. I guess being an 80s teen who grew up with a ZX Spectrum and loving what we called conversational games (text-based adventures) has something to do with it XD, but man, what an exceptional ride. It got me so hooked that I finished it in two sittings. At first I thought it was going to be a somewhat generic horror game with an 80s setting but as the story unfolds… I couldn't be more wrong.

I can't talk much about the game without spoiling parts of the story as there's some kind of a hidden narrative in there (I knew nothing about this game until Devolver announced a few days ago it was being released on the Switch), but in summary it's an episodic point-and-click-ish text adventure game where you spend most of the time reading and solving puzzles in front of a table (or two, with a button to switch between them) as the story unfolds in front of you.

There are four episodes which will unlock right after you finish the previous one, and each one lasts about 45 minutes/1 hour, so expect the game to be finished in about 4 hours. Take in mind that you can't save in the middle of the episodes (I can understand that design choice for the sake of immersion after playing it).

Each one takes place in a different setting: one in front of a desk with a ZX Spectrum 128K <3, an old CRT TV where you are playing a text-based adventure game called The House Abandon, and another one in front of what seems to be some kind of laboratory where you have to follow the instructions to make experiments to a subject inside a box, and… that's it, I can't tell more without spoiling things.

If you like text-based adventures, point and click games, nicely written stories (oh, and the voice actors are great), with small touches of horror and sci-fi, give it a chance. Just one thing, once you start the game, finish it.

The game may be on the short side for some (4 hours to me is just about a perfect lenght), but for 9,99 € is a steal IMO.

---

The trailer and some screenshots (not from the Switch version as I didn't grab any… the story had me hooked so much that I forgot to, and I use to take a lot of screenshots XD but the game looks fine on the Switch at least in portable mode (I'm 100% handheld):

EB208E4F867E726BCF85FDA42BBB83C851A06EEB

86083BAD2DC7563407927C35515608109DCF9760
Thanks for the impressions. This is definitely next on my to buy list.

You're not wrong and I wish Switch version got more praise.

Last edited:

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Did you guys play Tangletower in Heroic (permadeath) or Adventure mode?
Haven't played Tangle Tower yet but I think you may be mixing up Tangle Tower (which is a point and click game, at least I hope so, since i bought it on that basis) and Tangledeep?

By the way, thanks again for the Sniper Elite 3 recommendation, it moved me at the time from "maybe will buy" to "bought" - just finished the campaign a couple of days ago and I really enjoyed it (on easy, even without the bullet physics haha).

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
I played To the Moon a few years ago on Steam after getting it on sale for like $1 or something ridiculous like that. If you go into it for the story rather than the gameplay (it's not an RPG, more like a pixel art adventure game), it's an easy recommendation. Be prepared to have your tears jerked, though.

DKoops

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Japanese downloads for January 23
- Void Terrarium (7678 yen)
- Murasama no Sword Breaker (1496 yen)
- Valfaris (2500 yen)
- Mosaic (2170 yen)
- Dairantou! Jewel Wars (999 yen)
- 198X (980 yen)
- FoxyLand 2 (610 yen)
- Stories Untold (980 yen)
- FAR: Lone Sails (1507 yen)
- Mistover (6380 yen)
- Arcade Archives XX Mission (838 yen)
- Our Flick Erasers Bundles (1900 and 2350 yen)

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Monaco and Xeno Crisis are pretty great.

Also enjoying Psikyo Collection Alpha even if I am awful at shmups!

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played Tangle Tower yet but I think you may be mixing up Tangle Tower (which is a point and click game, at least I hope so, since i bought it on that basis) and Tangledeep?

By the way, thanks again for the Sniper Elite 3 recommendation, it moved me at the time from "maybe will buy" to "bought" - just finished the campaign a couple of days ago and I really enjoyed it (on easy, even without the bullet physics haha).
Yes, I confused the two games haha.

Glad you liked man, it's a great game!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I played To the Moon many moons ago and I don't remember much about it other than the story doing nothing for me. Which is odd because I'm usually a big softy when I comes to emotional stuff like that.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I played To the Moon many moons ago and I don't remember much about it other than the story doing nothing for me. Which is odd because I'm usually a big softy when I comes to emotional stuff like that.
I played it on iOS and thought: ok, why is everybody so excited for this game. Finished it, but I thought it was just a pretty boring game that stretched a somewhat interesting story 🤷‍♂️

BTW: where do others have a wish list? I currently use psprices but I have no idea if there is a better one available for the switch

Dec 2, 2019
Rive: Ultimate Edition is 4,94€ on the european eShop (67% off, lowest ever), and I highly recommend it. Deal ends february 20th, so no need to hurry.

It's frankly great, with nice twin stick mechanics, good design overall, a lenght of about 10 hours, a bunch of game modes. Honestly I don't remember the soundtrack, which doesn't bode very well, but I don't remember it being bad, neither.

In terms of performance this game is an absolute beast with rock solid 60 fps action, 720p native resolution (and 1080p docked) and good graphics with nice lighting effects. It definitely deserves its spot in your Switch games library.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I played it on iOS and thought: ok, why is everybody so excited for this game. Finished it, but I thought it was just a pretty boring game that stretched a somewhat interesting story 🤷‍♂️

BTW: where do others have a wish list? I currently use psprices but I have no idea if there is a better one available for the switch

I just use the wish list on the Switch itself.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I dropped it after maybe 8 hours. It is breezy and funny for a couple of hours then it gets a bit samey. You hear the same puns, do similar quests, visit similar locations and so on. I always feel bad when I leave games unfinished. I didn't feel bad here.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. The switch has one? I only used the Webshop until now and couldn't find a wishlist there. Thanks!

Yeah you can access it whilst browsing the eshop. If you click on your icon/face, you can access the wish list there.

And you'll get an email whenever a game on your wishlist goes on sale :)

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
Rive: Ultimate Edition is 4,94€ on the european eShop (67% off, lowest ever), and I highly recommend it. Deal ends february 20th, so no need to hurry.

It's frankly great, with nice twin stick mechanics, good design overall, a lenght of about 10 hours, a bunch of game modes. Honestly I don't remember the soundtrack, which doesn't bode very well, but I don't remember it being bad, neither.

In terms of performance this game is an absolute beast with rock solid 60 fps action, 720p native resolution (and 1080p docked) and good graphics with nice lighting effects. It definitely deserves its spot in your Switch games library.
I second this. And at 4,94 € it's a no-brainer.

Toki Tori titles, also by Two Tribes are also on sale:
Toki Tori: 1,64 €(-67%)
Toki Tori 2+: 4,94 €(-67%)

Edit: This reminds me of an interesting video about Toki Tori 2 by Mark Brown:
"Believe it or not, but Toki Tori 2 was one of the most daring and ingeniously designed puzzle games of 2013."

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Not heard of this and looks great, had a look at some reviews and a few mention how hard and challenging the game is.
Is this correct? How would you compare this to in regards to other games.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I second this. And at 4,94 € it's a no-brainer.

Toki Tori titles, also by Two Tribes are also on sale:
Toki Tori: 1,64 €(-67%)
Toki Tori 2+: 4,94 €(-67%)

Edit: This reminds me of an interesting video about Toki Tori 2 by Mark Brown:
"Believe it or not, but Toki Tori 2 was one of the most daring and ingeniously designed puzzle games of 2013."

there was reason I kept yelling about TT2 in every eShop thread during those years.

Dec 2, 2019
Not heard of this and looks great, had a look at some reviews and a few mention how hard and challenging the game is.
Is this correct? How would you compare this to in regards to other games.
It's challenging for sure, but you don't need to be super skilled to beat it. Checkpoint are generous so you don't need to repeat particularly long combat sections from scrap.

This regarding normal difficulty. At hard it's another story entirely. Anyway, I didn't find it difficult overall. If you are even slightly interested I recommend you to give it a go. I just booted it up and almost got hooked again, this is a true eShop gem.

I can't think of any other game to compare it, sorry. Actually it's pretty unique, it's a side scroller twin-stick shooter with platforms

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Ember (a PC and iOS game) just released on Switch with 25% off (from $19.99 to $14.99). It's a pretty decent Baldurs Gate style game (combat is real time with pause). It's a lite version of those classic RPGs, with more streamlined systems and a shorter adventure (around 20 hours). Perfect if you want an isometric RPG of that style but don't want to commit with the length and depth of those games, or maybe if you find them too intimidating and want to ease into the genre with something more acessible.

Here's a review from our fellow member karak (ACG):

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ember (a PC and iOS game) just released on Switch with 25% off (from $19.99 to $14.99). It's a pretty decent Baldurs Gate style game (combat is real time with pause). It's a lite version of those classic RPGs, with more streamlined systems and a shorter adventure (around 20 hours). Perfect if you want an isometric RPG of that style but don't want to commit with the length and depth of those games, or maybe if you find them too intimidating and want to ease into the genre with something more acessible.

Here's a review from our fellow member karak (ACG):

Wait. What? This is on Switch. How the hell did I miss this

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It's challenging for sure, but you don't need to be super skilled to beat it. Checkpoint are generous so you don't need to repeat particularly long combat sections from scrap.

This regarding normal difficulty. At hard it's another story entirely. Anyway, I didn't find it difficult overall. If you are even slightly interested I recommend you to give it a go. I just booted it up and almost got hooked again, this is a true eShop gem.

I can't think of any other game to compare it, sorry. Actually it's pretty unique, it's a side scroller twin-stick shooter with platforms

OK thanks, appreciate the response :)

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, bought To The Moon, what am I in for?

Also any reccomendations on games that released the past two months in the $10-20 range, I've been buying shit for 3DS and Xbox so I am behind.