• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: found it!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah and it's still as awesome as I remember and I assure you it looks much better on the big screen, TATEd.... the zooming, the handling, the night driving and rain... please, please make an ACA release!

CHEQUERED FLAG (Konami 1988)

CHEQUERED FLAG (Konami 1988/PSION 1983)

Great!

It's funny, because my memories about a game named Chequered Flag were about this beauty by Psion for the ZX Spectrum lol:
cflag.jpg

I didn't know that arcade game by Konami was also named Chequered Flag, and I remember it too from my childhood and now I need an ACA release too. PLEASE!

It pains me to say it but I've canceled my preorder (lol what a cliché) and put those €30 towards Dragon Quest XI (btw @Arturo thanks to the 10%off preorder promo on Amazon.es you can get Luigi's Mansion 3, Dragon Quest and almost every title coming out for Switch at €42 shipped. Also Amazon.es, contrary to uk/de/it, still doesn't take money till it ships the games)

Yup, and if we take into account the fact that we're exempt from paying VAT, the deals are really sweet… :P

RE: MUTANT YEAR ZERO

BTW, it seems there's been a day 1 patch for the game which seems to improve docked performance, but sadly it seems handheld is still pretty bad…

Last edited:

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the better game? (vs Sniper Elite V2)
Yes, I'd say so. To put it in simple terms, everything about V2 has been improved on, refined and polished and placed into open-ended levels with multiple objectives. I've already played V2 and V3 on PC so I'm hoping that V4 will make its way to Switch too.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I'd say so. To put it in simple terms, everything about V2 has been improved on, refined and polished and placed into open-ended levels with multiple objectives. I've already played V2 and V3 on PC so I'm hoping that V4 will make its way to Switch too.
Great, thanks! I held off on V2 because I seemed to recall someone saying the one coming next was better.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys this is the last day to buy eShop Vouchers.

I think the cheapest way to do this is to create a new account on www.raise.com (if you already have one, make another with another e-mail) and get lucky and buy a $50 eShop card (they go fast!) and use coupon code 40RAISEAF. Mine came out to be $36.

I assume you can do this twice (make two accounts) get $100 for $72. Pretty damn good deal, good luck!

EDIT: I just got an cancelltion e-mail. They're going to cancel your order if they notice you already have an account. I guess I'll try again with my wife's name/email/phone number/credit card. So maybe you can buy two if you have multiple paying sources.

Kryornis

Mar 1, 2019
France, Occitania
I got Mutant Year Zero in a bundle on PC and always wanted to play it but never did. Now I want to buy it on Switch because I know I will play it with the combo handheld/docked. It happens for so many games.
I'm not the only one with this weird "already have it but want to play it on Switch" syndrome, right ? 🤔

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Dang. Dragon Ball FighterZ is down to 17.99. But the real kicker is if you already bought the base game, the FighterZ pass isn't discounted (still 34.99). But the digital game + pass is only 37.99.

I have this game physical (unopened) but I've heard that performance is terrible, can anyone comment? And if I have the digital game, can you play 1v1 with two switches but only one digital copy?

Oct 26, 2017
Dang. Dragon Ball FighterZ is down to 17.99. But the real kicker is if you already bought the base game, the FighterZ pass isn't discounted (still 34.99). But the digital game + pass is only 37.99.

I have this game physical (unopened) but I've heard that performance is terrible, can anyone comment? And if I have the digital game, can you play 1v1 with two switches but only one digital copy?

How much is the Ultimate Edition?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
For some reason when I change my region on the store to CA, it doesn't show the DLC at all (and the search goes missing for some reason). But the base game seems to be 17.99?

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions on Devil Engine? I played lightening force recently and really enjoyed it. I know Devil Engine is inspired by the Thunder Force series. How does it compare? How's the difficulty? Is there any save option or is it old school lives and continues?

I think it's one of the better shmups out there right now. Yes, it is comparable to Thunder Force. As a big TurboGrafx fan, the game felt like home for me (ie: Gate of Thunder, Aero Blasters, R-Type, etc.) The difficulty is adjustable. The "easy" mode is good for learning the mechanics and system, and the harder modes don't feel too hard. I'm not good at shmups, though, so I have a hard time progressing too far. As far as I remember, I think it's old-school lives/continues.

Bottom line: it's well worth the money.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions on Devil Engine? I played lightening force recently and really enjoyed it. I know Devil Engine is inspired by the Thunder Force series. How does it compare? How's the difficulty? Is there any save option or is it old school lives and continues?

It's great. Very difficult on the default difficulty, but a bit more manageable on easy(still challenging). Plus you get lots of surprising unlocks with a global persistent score you keep accumulating. So even game over's contribute.

Looks great, sounds great too. It's a buy.

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I've heard that Mutant Year Zero is one of the most atrocious ports, that it's graphics are just not acceptable, especially in undocked mode. Apologies if this has already been discussed, but would love to hear what people have to say on this for those that did hit the purchase button. Cheers.

Oct 26, 2017
Well BN did us dirty by selling FighterZ for 30-40% off during E3, only to now sell it for 60-70% a month and a half later. I tried calling Nintendo for a reimbursement, no dice sadly. :(

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just snagged some additional last minute vouchers & used one on Fire Emblem. Hoping it's as good as my buddy says it is! Looking forward to the social aspects more than anything, since I heard it was a mix of classic FE, Persona, and ToCS.

My wife is demanding I use a few vouchers on Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing. Who am I to say no? 😜

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Are people seriously turned off
when a fucking dog dies in a game? Because, well, humans die in games all the time...
But... dogs are not babies, and that's ok. While I will never advocate for any form of cruelty toward animals, I will never understand having more empathy for them than for actual humans. Wargroove did the same thing, by allowing you to kill human units, but not dog units. I found it really weird honestly.
Not to mention that dogs are man-made genetic freaks more than often mentally and physically crippled for the benefit of humans; so even the animal-loving aspect of the dog culture is really strange in that regard.
You should've seen some of the takes people were throwing out on that topic in the thread about HBO's Chernobyl, lmao
Showing first responders and plant operators with their skin and flesh melting off = "yeah, cool, whatever"

Showing a cleanup crew humanely putting down pets that were left behind, all off-screen = "holy shit, this episode goes too far, is this sicko director just doing this to see how far he can push the shock value!?"

These people get wild, lol
lol
I don't know how dogs getting put down off-screen is even comparable to scenes in the previous episode that damn near makes one a proponent of euthanasia.
Stop this policing of what you can and can't get too upset about. First of all, I've said in these very eShop threads that glorified or gratuitous or "candied" violence makes me extremely uncomfortable (I had to immediately quit Hotline Miami and just the trailer to Ape Out repulsed me), so don't presume that my dislike of pet/animal death means I'm thrilled by human violence in media. That's a false equivalence and it's not good argumentation. Secondly, people go through all sorts of personal experiences that heighten their sensitivity to certain material. Instead of "lol"ing at the fact that things that don't bother you do bother other people, consider why that might be. You'll be a better person for it.
Don't ever watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
I wish you had told me that a couple years ago. Already noped out of that one.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I got Mutant Year Zero in a bundle on PC and always wanted to play it but never did. Now I want to buy it on Switch because I know I will play it with the combo handheld/docked. It happens for so many games.
I'm not the only one with this weird "already have it but want to play it on Switch" syndrome, right ? 🤔
Nope. This is me all over. I am far more likely to actually play a game on Switch.
Stop this policing of what you can and can't get too upset about. First of all, I've said in these very eShop threads that glorified or gratuitous or "candied" violence makes me extremely uncomfortable (I had to immediately quit Hotline Miami and just the trailer to Ape Out repulsed me), so don't presume that my dislike of pet/animal death means I'm thrilled by human violence in media. That's a false equivalence and it's not good argumentation. Secondly, people go through all sorts of personal experiences that heighten their sensitivity to certain material. Instead of "lol"ing at the fact that things that don't bother you do bother other people, consider why that might be. You'll be a better person for it.

Thank you! Couldn't have put this better myself.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Stop this policing of what you can and can't get too upset about. First of all, I've said in these very eShop threads that glorified or gratuitous or "candied" violence makes me extremely uncomfortable, so don't presume that my dislike of pet/animal death means I'm thrilled by human violence. That's a false equivalence and it's not good argumentation. Secondly, people go through all sorts of personal experiences that heighten their sensitivity to certain material. Instead of "lol"ing at the fact that things that don't bother you do bother other people, consider why that might be. You'll be a better person for it.
My apologies, however that first post you quoted wasn't directed at you. It was genuine bewilderment within the context of Chernobyl spoilers.

It's not about being sensitive to stuff, it's about the idea of someone actively criticizing a series over a very sanitized depiction of animal death that actually transpired in real life, while also being fine with the absolute nightmare fuel within the same series.

A "lol" might not be proper in tone though, I admit.

Last edited:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Well BN did us dirty by selling FighterZ for 30-40% off during E3, only to now sell it for 60-70% a month and a half later. I tried calling Nintendo for a reimbursement, no dice sadly. :(

I can never understand Bamco logic when it comes to sales. They're almost impossible to predict. Some games go on discount all the time while others never do (hellooo Taiko Drum Master). America gets a price drop on something while Europe never does. It's really bizarre and makes me glad I have very little interest in ~90% of their output nowadays so I can safely ignore most of these pricing shenanigans. :/

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I can never understand Bamco logic when it comes to sales. They're almost impossible to predict. Some games go on discount all the time while others never do (hellooo Taiko Drum Master). America gets a price drop on something while Europe never does. It's really bizarre and makes me glad I have very little interest in ~90% of their output nowadays so I can safely ignore most of these pricing shenanigans. :/

They're on some kind of anime sales binge lately, because they've had pretty much lowest ever sales on One Piece, My Hero Academia, Naruto, and now Dragon Ball games.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Bear with Me, a point-and-click adventure game, was suddenly released today.

Originally an episodic game, the Switch release includes all three episodes as well as a new prequel chapter that is also available separately.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

Umm I rented it and thought performance was fine, but the killer was the loading screens. They were too long for me, I felt like it was waiting for so long to get into a match.

Okay if you get a digital version and want to do 1v1 with 2 Switches, it'll work, kinda sort've.

You can't do local multiplayer with a digital copy and two Switches. My expierments trying this with other games doesn't work. You can do 1v1 ONLINE though if both accounts have Nintendo Online, and one digital copy.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
They're on some kind of anime sales binge lately, because they've had pretty much lowest ever sales on One Piece, My Hero Academia, Naruto, and now Dragon Ball games.

Harsh to say this, but that's actually great to hear. Maybe they'll refocus more of their attention on their classic pre-merge IPs like Klonoa and Ridge Racer or more brand new IPs once the licensed anime well has dried up.

Eh, who am I kidding? Anime games will always sell because there's always an audience to buy them. :P

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I think it's one of the better shmups out there right now. Yes, it is comparable to Thunder Force. As a big TurboGrafx fan, the game felt like home for me (ie: Gate of Thunder, Aero Blasters, R-Type, etc.) The difficulty is adjustable. The "easy" mode is good for learning the mechanics and system, and the harder modes don't feel too hard. I'm not good at shmups, though, so I have a hard time progressing too far. As far as I remember, I think it's old-school lives/continues.

Bottom line: it's well worth the money.
It's great. Very difficult on the default difficulty, but a bit more manageable on easy(still challenging). Plus you get lots of surprising unlocks with a global persistent score you keep accumulating. So even game over's contribute.

Looks great, sounds great too. It's a buy.
Thanks!
It's a must buy now for me then

Millvain

Oct 30, 2017
Just completed my first play through of KATANA ZERO and this...this was a good game. Fantastic in fact.

Compared to these slightly similar games...

Mark of the Ninja Remastered
&
The Messenger...

Katana Zero comes in first. MotNR comes second and The Messenger a distant third. And I'm an expert on Ninja's.

Graphically, it's definitely inferior to Mark by a long shot. But it still has great charm and I appreciate that it was all done by one person.

Action wise, this is a faster, more arcade like game than the others. No exploring, just kill every body in the level before advancing. And that was fine by me. As a fellow Ninja, I fully appreciate Mark's stealth aspect and really enjoyed the computer AI in that. But the sheer high intense action in Katana Zero just places that a tad higher for me than Mark.

Katana Zero also features the better story for me with the Chronos drug and the 80's synth/neon theme of the game really goes down well.

Yes so I'm highly recommending Katana Zero to those who love high intense action 2D games.

Thanks for the ranking. Judging by your avatar you know your stuff in this area.

Out of the 3 I have only played The Messenger and loved it until the point the game changes completely (I don't know if I can say... is this still a spoiler?) which oddly enough was what encouraged me to buy it in the first place as I have a liking for that type of game (this feels clumsy, maybe I should just say...). So for now I have stopped playing. I actually feel happy moving on though, usually I have feelings of regret leaving a game unfinished, but I am content drawing a line under it as I have really enjoyed the gameplay and NES/SNES vibe. Am I missing out if I don't finish though?

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
Out of the 3 I have only played The Messenger and loved it until the point the game changes completely (I don't know if I can say... is this still a spoiler?) which oddly enough was what encouraged me to buy it in the first place as I have a liking for that type of game (this feels clumsy, maybe I should just say...). So for now I have stopped playing. I actually feel happy moving on though, usually I have feelings of regret leaving a game unfinished, but I am content drawing a line under it as I have really enjoyed the gameplay and NES/SNES vibe. Am I missing out if I don't finish though?
I had to force myself to finish it. When the game makes the big change, I don't know, I felt disconnected. I kept playing but nah, the more I did, the more I was wishing for it to be finished already… There are some nice details here and there in that second part, but not enough for me. To the point I haven't even bothered to play the free DLC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But Katana Zero… my god. I LOVED that game. I even went back to get all the secret swords. The music, the story, the pixel-art (probably the best I've seen recently)… It was the exact opposite to The Messenger, the game finished and I kept wanting more. Yes, it's short, but I loved every minute with it.

Millvain

Oct 30, 2017
I had to force myself to finish it. When the game makes the big change, I don't know, I felt disconnected. I kept playing but nah, the more I did, the more I was wishing for it to be finished already… There are some nice details here and there in that second part, but not enough for me. To the point I haven't even bothered to play the free DLC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But Katana Zero… my god. I LOVED that game. I even went back to get all the secret swords. The music, the story, the pixel-art (probably the best I've seen recently)… It was the exact opposite to The Messenger, the game finished and I kept wanting more. Yes, it's short, but I loved every minute with it.

That's for that. Confirms my view and I will move on (at least for now). Hats off to you for sticking with it until the end though.

The more I hear about Katana Zero the more amazing it sounds!

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

yeah same here. I finished The Messenger, but really fell off playing it after the big change. I really think if the game had just stopped after the first big change, that would've been just good enough. Maybe they could've charged less for the game, but honestly I would've been satisfied just paying the $14.99 for the really really good few hours that was the first part of the game. It dragged on. Same with Mark of the Ninja. Never finsihed it, I'm in the final act of the game, but it dragged on.

Katana Zero was perfect. Great pacing, great length. It finished when it wanted to, not because it felt like it needed more content.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
JeremyParish is a featured guest in Nintendo Power Podcast for the GameBoy 30th Anniversary!

I also used my golden coins to buy Nine Parchments, which was on sale at 70% off.

Last edited: