• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Anyone tried the Songbird Symphony demo? I'm really interested in that game depending what reviews and impressions are like.

i tried and while it's no masterpiece i actually like it, the artstyle was interesting and was fun. From the trailer it seems the rhythm gets more challenging.
I add it to the wishlist and probably get if my backlog is free or i can stop playing mario maker until the game comes out.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying the Lethal League Blaze demo even if it is 30 fps. Playing exclusively in handheld mode and boy does it nail that Dreamcast aesthetic!

Another demo that's a pleasant surprise is Tiny Metal: Full Metal Rumble. It's even got me playing the first one again.

I really love these medium sized games!

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone tried the new Tiny Metal? How is the game and how is the multiplayer?
Wow. I REALLY like the demo, alot! They improved almost everything from the first game.

I feel like this is the definitve version, what I wanted from Wargroove, but didn't get.

I wasn't planning on buying this. I have ALOT of games on my backlog, but I may end up with this. I'll read some reviews. But damn this demo has made a great first impression.

Oh and you can transfer your progress from demo to full game! Man, I really like this demo!

Last edited:

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I liked the demo too and I dig the aesthetics. I'd really love to play some MP but I'm curious as to how populated the scene is.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I liked (and finished) it on PC but have zero intention of double dipping (which im doing a lot lately), im not even sure why. Guess it didnt really resonate with me that much.
Hyper Light Drifter is a game I really wanted to like. It looks and sounds great and plays competently but I just didn't actually enjoy it very much oddly enough.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Hyper Light Drifter is a game I really wanted to like. It looks and sounds great and plays competently but I just didn't actually enjoy it very much oddly enough.
Same, I really expected to love it but it ended up just being okay to me. The way it handles hiding secrets and the combat to a degree just didn't do much for me. Still a beautiful game, I do wanna give it another playthru eventually

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I liked (and finished) it on PC but have zero intention of double dipping (which im doing a lot lately), im not even sure why. Guess it didnt really resonate with me that much.
Originally played Hyper Light Drifter on the PC as well and it is a top 5 (maybe even top 3) indie game for me and I also have no intention of ever getting it on the Switch. Which is odd only because I'm not shy in double dipping on this system.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
i tried and while it's no masterpiece i actually like it, the artstyle was interesting and was fun. From the trailer it seems the rhythm gets more challenging.
I add it to the wishlist and probably get if my backlog is free or i can stop playing mario maker until the game comes out.

Thanks for the impressions Rasec! How much of the regular explore-y part of the game requires rhythm? I got the sense it might be more exploration based for a good amount of it.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Thanks for the impressions Rasec! How much of the regular explore-y part of the game requires rhythm? I got the sense it might be more exploration based for a good amount of it.
yup, that's right, the explore-y part is clearly mostly platform based and requires not much of the rhythm part.

It's not like wandersong where you can use the rhythm/singing stuff to change platforms directions on ways you didn't expect but there's sections where singing will move some platforms or trigger flowers/elevators. Maybe the rest of the game will have the music more integrated on the exploration section later.

Here is mostly explore the world using platforming and then the songs section where it turns into a rhythm game and i must say this rhythm part while it looked basic at first it get's harder fast. It gives me vibes of the project diva games gameplay so it's a plus for me.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I'm enjoying the Lethal League Blaze demo even if it is 30 fps. Playing exclusively in handheld mode and boy does it nail that Dreamcast aesthetic!

Yeah the demo is fantastic and the game is very smooth actually.

this is why i love indie developers, can't imagine this hobby without them. they are the heart and soul of this industry in its current state.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Purchased Tiny Metal, hope its more complete than the first one which I sorta enjoyed for a limited time despite its flaws

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Let us know about the multiplayer
Doesnt seem to be anyone on multiplayer at the moment, but options are mapsize : small, medium, large... fog behaviour : normal, all known, disabled... use timer : yes, no.. seconds per turn : 60, 90, 120, 180....start money : 0, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000,... revenue 1.0x, 1.5x, 2.0x, 3.0x,

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
yup, that's right, the explore-y part is clearly mostly platform based and requires not much of the rhythm part.

It's not like wandersong where you can use the rhythm/singing stuff to change platforms directions on ways you didn't expect but there's sections where singing will move some platforms or trigger flowers/elevators. Maybe the rest of the game will have the music more integrated on the exploration section later.

Here is mostly explore the world using platforming and then the songs section where it turns into a rhythm game and i must say this rhythm part while it looked basic at first it get's harder fast. It gives me vibes of the project diva games gameplay so it's a plus for me.

That really sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks again for the impressions. I hope to try it tomorrow. I'm terrible at rhythm so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to handle the bosses. And your post reminds me I still need to play Wandersong. That and Night in the Woods are the indies I'm most interested in but haven't played yet.

HanowarHAIL

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the Tiny Metal demo and wasn't overly impressed. The animations were janky and some sound effects wouldn't play when units were attacking. The gameplay itself seemed alright. I think I'll wait until Wargroove goes on sale so I can play it on Switch.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So after going through some very difficult games, I would love a more relaxing experience.

I'm considering Cadence of Hyrule, Snake Pass and Dream Daddy.

I loved the Ace Attorney games and I'm gay so I guess I will enjoy Dream Daddy but I don't know if it will be on sale sooner as some games released this year already went on sale. I'm a Zelda fan and Cadence looks great and people are loving it but it seems like it is short with little replayability (although I might get Fire Emblem soon so that's fine). I also love collectathons and platformers, but I don't know if Snake will frustrate me. What do you think guys?

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So after going through some very difficult games, I would love a more relaxing experience.

I loved the Ace Attorney games and I'm gay so I guess I will enjoy Dream Daddy but I don't know if it will be on sale sooner as some games released this year already went on sale. I'm a Zelda fan and Cadence looks great and people are loving it but it seems like it is short with little replayability (although I might get Fire Emblem soon so that's fine). I also love collectathons and platformers, but I don't know if Snake will frustrate me. What do you think guys?
I just finished Dream Daddy, and despite not being part of the game's target audience, I found it to be a well-written, funny, and heartwarming visual novel. The art is great, too. In fact, I immediately started a second game.

I also had a blast with Cadence of Hyrule, though I played in fixed-beat mode, as shit just got a little too crazy when trying to keep up with the rhythm. But it's a great Legend of Zelda spin-off if you're looking for that.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
What's the general consensus on Gato Robo? Is it worth it for £5? I like metroidvanias, and I've heard it's quite short (which is a plus to me,) but is it fun to play and all that?

Nov 27, 2017
I'm also on the fence about biting on Snake Pass. Is it more 3D platformer than puzzle game? I could certainly go for a 3D platformer right now.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

If you're looking for something relaxing, I would definitely avoid Snake Pass. It's a very good game, but it's about mastering an innovative control scheme, which can be quite frustrating (not necessarily in a bad way, ymmv). It's anything but relaxing, IMO.

blackrogue13

Nov 21, 2018
What's the general consensus on Gato Robo? Is it worth it for £5? I like metroidvanias, and I've heard it's quite short (which is a plus to me,) but is it fun to play and all that?
It is a short game, between 2-4hours based on your ability and looking for secrets. But the whole game is entertaining from start to finish. For £5 I don't think you will be disappointed.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Do you know if it's asymmetric , (think "mail a turn" if you're old school) or are you playing real time with someone?
The word is asynchronous. Asymmetric means your gameplay style/what you're doing is different. Asynchronous means you're not playing synced up with another player, at different times.

Ironically press kept messing that one up on Wii U all the time where they talked about asynchronous multiplayer when they were talking about games with asymmetric multiplayer (think Affordable Space Adventures/Nintendo Land).

Yes, it's wonderful. No-brainer.

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017

Have you played Yoku's Island Express? Really nice and relaxing game, I'm playing through it right now, and I think it's on sale for 50% off. It's a pinball platformer/metroidvania. No death, just losing a few fruit, which is plentiful. Interesting story and characters too!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He said this on NintendoLife about Lethal Legal Blaze:

Unfortunately we were unable to reach 60fps everywhere in the game in this phase. We decided to lock the fps on 30 when it can't reach 60fps. Mainly for stability purposes. An inconsistent framerate is even worse than 30fps in our opinion. Nonetheless we are working hard to increase the performance of the game and eventually reach a stable 60 fps in a later patch. We do agree though it should be possible to reach 60 fps and we will do our best to reach that!
Best,
Tim from Team Reptile

Went ahead and bought it to support the devs and because they're trying to hit 60fps. But I don't blame anyone for holding off, not running at 60 is a killer, especially in frantic multiplayer matches

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Re: A Robot Named fight

I bought it a few sales ago and its fantastic.
I've sung it praises before but yes, A Robot Named Fight is excellent and ab absolute steal for that price. All its pieces are so cleverly designed it takes a while to start noticing its roguelite nature.
Played about an hour of A Robot Named Fight and I'm really digging it so far.

It's a rogue with procedurally generated levels but the the levels are so well designed, I wouldn't have known unless I read it elsewhere. Not only that, unlike Dead Cells, Gungeon or all the other rouges out there that get off by being overly difficult, ARNF is not brutally challenging (at least not yet).

It can all go to shit the more I play, but early impressions are really positive. Oh, also its soundtrack is absolutely bumping.

I got the game yesterday and it's suuuper good! At first I found it a bit boring, but the more I played it, the more I liked it. Very fun to play and though I haven't finished a run yet, the difficulty seems just right.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Have you played Yoku's Island Express? Really nice and relaxing game, I'm playing through it right now, and I think it's on sale for 50% off. It's a pinball platformer/metroidvania. No death, just losing a few fruit, which is plentiful. Interesting story and characters too!

No, I haven't, but I just played through another Metroidvania, so I'm avoiding the genre for a while.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep debating Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Deluxe Edition because it'd be nice to have it on the go but why is it $45 on eShop when it's going to be $40 at retail?

LaughingGear

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know if Mark of The Ninja Remastered's performances issues ever got fixed on Switch? Would be tempted to pick it up for the portability but not if it runs badly.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Having a lot of fun with Streets of Rogue so far. It's a little overwhelming with all I can do and trying to figure out the best ways to handle situations without getting wrecked, but a really fun Rogue lite for sure. Gotta make my Death Road to Canada addicted girlfriend give it a try and see what she thinks.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
It's now or never for snake pass. Should I bite?
I'm also on the fence about biting on Snake Pass.
Bite! It has a learning curve with the controls, but once it clicks... booya!
348.jpg

Snake Pass is such a difficult game to recommend because it defies preconceptions of what a 3D platformer traditionally is and what people tend to expect from them. It's truly unique in its approach and the end result is something that jives with a lot of players that have the patience to master the controls, while others can never quite grasp them and are unable to overcome the steep learning curve. I also don't think a demo would help much here since the general gameplay mechanics take so long for most to get accustomed to.

Best bet with this one is to just seek out a few reviews from your favorite critics and watch some gameplay footage on YouTube to try and imagine what the controls are like.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Having a lot of fun with Streets of Rogue so far. It's a little overwhelming with all I can do and trying to figure out the best ways to handle situations without getting wrecked, but a really fun Rogue lite for sure. Gotta make my Death Road to Canada addicted girlfriend give it a try and see what she thinks.

It's an excellent game which deserves far more love. I agree that it kinda just throws you in regarding the sheer level of stuff you can do, but once that learning curve is over, it really shines.

It's a title that really surprises in the best possible way, there's just so much to discover in it. Its spirit is that of a drug fuelled, bite sized top down GTA (sans actual vehicles) with a much smaller map size but far more freedom in the interaction of its environment and how you want to progress. Works for me.