• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
KONA is on sale. It's one of the earliest walking Sims to release and it's rarely on sale, but it's well reviewed.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Hunter's Legacy completely falls apart in the end, so much so that I actually hate the game now, and I qutie enjoyed it until the last level / boss.

It has by far the worst last boss I remember seeing in many years, a ridiculous damage sponge with random ass attacks that you cant even target his weak points most of the time. I actually deleted the game after dying like 10 times or whatever the fuck it was, I was getting angry and the game was "winning", except not in a good way. Fuck that game, fuck those devs, I actually regret giving them money now.

Feel free to say "I told you so" PepsimanVsJoe

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
There are plenty of 3DS games on sale right now (EU at least), Etrian Odyssey 5 and Nexus, Radiant Historia, Persona Q2, Strange Journey, 7th Dragon, etc.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't it have some performance issues? Or did they patch that?

It's the kind of game that will always have performance "issues". It's only a matter of "when" and "how much". All versions of the game have performance issues. It's a city simulation, so at some point the emulator performance will go downhill.

IMO, it runs fine for mid sized cities. The frame drops doesn't disturb the simulation at least until 30,000 citizens.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
OK I played the demo of Songbird Symphony. I had to get it from the EU store because it didn't show up in the NA store for me. Overall it was just okay to me.

First, the positive. The art style is really charming and cute. The dialogue is cute and clear. The game loop so far is mostly exploring and progressing through open 2D platforming levels and then a rhythm/boss-type section. I am terrible at rhythm so I did alright in the first easy rhythm section and then not great in the second one. If you are really into rhythm, I think you might find these sections worthwhile. They seemed pretty fun, though not very long (so far at least).

That being said, at least in the two 2D platforming levels, the design was unfortunately fairly dull. You jump from one area to the next with a near-Kirby-esque superfloaty jump. The design didn't pose any platforming or puzzling challenge of basically any kind. I don't mind easier platformers but there was no challenge except navigating the slight mazelike structure of the level. It sort of reminded me of the GBA launch title Pinobee which I finally played several years ago. But that game whilst janky and strange I had more fun with. There are some collectibles that you get from creating very simple changes in the environment and there are endearing animations to go along with those (like bringing a bee to some flowers or reuniting a toad couple). The gameplay associated with them was fairly simplistic though.

I figure if you really like rhythm a lot and cute charm, you may like the rhythm sections, but even if so I imagine there are a lot of rhythm games that offer more pure constant rhythm action, and the platforming sections while charming just felt like unengaging filler. Caveat, it could get more interesting in ensuing levels. But the initial two levels didn't strike me on the platformer side.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
finished up Edith Finch over a few sittings. it's a very good port, i played the whole thing in handheld mode and while there were a few second-long stutters and the framerate might not quite hold 30 all the time, it looks beautiful and I wanna say it was full 720p at all times. it definitely runs better than any 3d game would on my macbook lol. it really is a beautiful game, it kind of blows my mind how many different objects are in the game at such a high level of detail from such a small team.
the story is great as well, i mentioned before i thought i had pretty much had all of it spoiled for me which ended up being true but playing the sequences myself was obviously much more impactful than reading about them...a few in particular are really excellent and emotional. great game

i know there was some discussion a few pages back on whether it's a 'walking simulator'. if you don't like that particular style of game it probably is not a game you will enjoy...while it has some more 'gamey' moments than something like Gone Home, it is still 100% working in that same mode. i quite like games like this but i understand that they're not for everyone

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Hunter's Legacy completely falls apart in the end, so much so that I actually hate the game now, and I qutie enjoyed it until the last level / boss.

It has by far the worst last boss I remember seeing in many years, a ridiculous damage sponge with random ass attacks that you cant even target his weak points most of the time. I actually deleted the game after dying like 10 times or whatever the fuck it was, I was getting angry and the game was "winning", except not in a good way. Fuck that game, fuck those devs, I actually regret giving them money now.

Feel free to say "I told you so" PepsimanVsJoe

Oh...oh wow. That sucks.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
You all know of any good bluetooth controllers that are Switch compatible that aren't 8bitdo? I am really trying to find a good one for all these 2D games coming out lately. I'm looking for one that's dependable and accurate.

Eighthours

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Just bought Rayman, Hyper Light Drifter and Night in the Woods, having already picked up Resi 4 on Friday. Damn you, sales!

Karakato

Oct 29, 2017
Fresh off Into the Breach's 5th playthrough and while I love it, it didn't quite scratch that itch like FFT did for me. Are there any games similar to FFT in terms of having a storyline, sidequests and multiple units you can upgrade (in terms of equipment and jobs/classes)?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Fresh off Into the Breach's 5th playthrough and while I love it, it didn't quite scratch that itch like FFT did for me. Are there any games similar to FFT in terms of having a storyline, sidequests and multiple units you can upgrade (in terms of equipment and jobs/classes)?

Mercenary Saga and Mercenary Wings are supposed to be like FFT and they are both on sale. Saga is a compilation of 3 games, Wings is the more recent one.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've had it on my list since it came out and saw it was on sale today and almost pulled the trigger.

It seems very intriguing!

I played it on PC and really liked it. The atmosphere in the snowstorm is very dense and the mystery is intriguing. It is not that long and maybe a little bit janky, but if your are interested in a slightly spooky mystery that seldom goes for in your face horror than Kona is a good choice.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Re: A Robot Named fight

I got the game yesterday and it's suuuper good! At first I found it a bit boring, but the more I played it, the more I liked it. Very fun to play and though I haven't finished a run yet, the difficulty seems just right.

Ok, I've already said A Robot Named Fight is suuuper good, but I'll say it again: it's suuuper good. Really, it's an awesome game. If you're on the fence about it because of the random generated levels, let me tell you this: if I didn't know the levels were random generated, I wouldn't have noticed it (on my first run, naturally).

large.jpg

Just bear in mind the character moves around almost exactly like Samus in Super Metroid, including the way he jumps. So, if you don't like that, stay away. If that's not a problem for you and you're even slightly interested in it, I suggest you grab it (it's super cheap right now).

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Well, Fire Emblem is about to be released. :P

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The summer is literally drowning you in tactics games on Switch.

Phantom Doctrine just came out before E3 (Hard West came out earlier from the same devs). Halcyon 6 is on sale right now! In two weeks, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Mutant Year Zero are coming out all in the same god damn week. Until recently, Ash of Gods: Redemption (think Banner Saga) was listed for July 30 on amazon but now it's back to TBA/temp dates everywhere so it might still be a ways off (they looked at the calendar).

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Ambition of the Slimes , I think I got that name right, and it's sequel.

Also not sure why you'd expect ItB to satisfy a FFT itch, not remotely similar outside of being turn based. Amazing game, super high quality and fun, but I feel it gets thrown around too easily to fix a desire for games like fft or xcom.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
A few impressions on my latest ON SALE grabs:
-

• Miles & Milo

As expected (Kid Tripp dev, which was a lil' gem) Miles & Kilo is absolutely charming and like its "prequel" perfecting stages is super satisfying thanks to the clever level building/enemies placement. Think some Rayman Origins/Legend/JungleRun/etc running levels but a bit more devilish.

Super enjoyable and charming.
For less than 2€ you can't go wrong.
There's also a demo.

• Dragon's Lair Trilogy

Next is impressions on Dragon's Lair Trilogy.

Unfortunately the old DVD PC Version for DL1 and the Trilogy on Wii keep being the only releases to really get it right and output in uncropped 1.33:1 (4/3); all the other releases (Steam/GOG/PS3/PS4...) and now Switch only output the games in cropped 16:9 (super obvious in the Black Knight stage) which is an utter shame because the telecine restoration and digital scan work is beautiful and the games have never looked this good (the colors especially are so much better than the LD/Arcade version).

Absolutely gorgeous in portable mode.

For 9€ (on sale) I'd say it's still worth it if you're a fan like myself (tho if you don't care about hh play you can stick to the ps4/etc versions) but it does piss me off everytime I think about Digital L sticking to the cropped version because it means we likely won't ever have a definitive version. Even playing in cabinet mode, with a cool overlay of the original coin-op art will output in 4:3... with black bars on top and bottom lol.

Awesome Don Bluth's interviews/extras btw.

For the fans, it's a great package. But keep that Wii disc, lol
-

• Pac-Man CE2+

Well I'm a huuuuge fan of anything Pac-Man (Ms. Pac-Man and og Pac-Man CE are in my top10 ever) and I think the new CE games have gotten "worse" with each DX release: CE2 keeps that tradition and imo is the weakest of the bunch. Still, I enjoyed it nonetheless and I love the new 2p mode here in CE2 Plus, you can even play it in solo mode with the cpu. I own CE2 on PS4 already but the reason I didn't double dip yet was because of framerate problems in portable mode. The game has since been patched and runs smoothly now although I didn't test much expert stages or frantic 2p solo mode full of vfx so take it with a grain of salt. But to me it's perfectly fine so far.

It's disappointing how CE seems stuck on Xbox, a crappy iOS version and a decent 3DS port with no leaderboards, especially because CE2 feels much over designed and inferior to the og game in every way.

But if you have a friend around, the Switch exclusive CE2+'s couch co-op is brilliant.

Btw, to change skins/gfx/character is hidden in the stage selection pressing X, took me a while to find it and at first I was pissed off because it looked like they had removed them, lol.

Edit: had more time with it and in my brief experience with PMCE2 some mild stuttering/framepacing issues are still present in portable mode when the games get über frantic. I consider myself a bit of an arcade games/framerate purist (unfortunately so, since I can't seem to be able to look the other way) and so far there was nothing that made me miss a score chance or make the game less enjoyable. YMMV.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I too was about to post some sale impressions, keep in mind this is all based on very early impressions / little time with the games:

- Azure Saga Pathfinder - seems decent if you need a cheap jrpg fix. Well, jrpg-by-the-way-of-western-dev. Battles are traditional 3 character turn based stuff, with some cool mechanics based on combining color-based skills into a "unity attack". Graphics are ok in battles but it has a very "flash game" look to it. I like the art while exploring more, as it uses a isometric view as you explore various rooms with switches and keys to collect and sidequests to find and whatnot. Story seems ok-ish too, if very cliche (its the "space guys land on medieval times planet, or time travveled, who knows" type story). Played about an hour and a half, just cleared the first big dungeon, actually had to use potions for the boss which is always nice. So far so good with this one.

- Aegis Defenders - been after this for ages (even back on pc) and it left great first impressions, at least of the frist level. Pixel art is gorgeous (love the animations), and the game seems to be split between platform action where you switch between multiple characters (or play co-op in real time), each with their own skills, there's a girl with a gun and can make bombs and traps and whatnot, and a old dude that uses melee and can craft turrets. This works nicely in the platforming sections, but it's also mostly for the second part of the game, the tower defense part, where you use resources you collected to build turrets or bombs/traps (get it?) in 2d tower defense levels. Gameplay seems smooth, looks gorgeous, seems to have a lot of stuff to upgrade and build, so yeah, seems great to me.

- Mulaka - mostly tried it to see how it ran portable (I only use the switch portable), and its very smooth (no idea how smooth it is when you get to those big bosses tho), gameplay is good too, very responsive, if a bit "loose". Low-poly artstyle looks gorgeous on the small screen.

And as a bonus, I already talked about this one yesterday but Hunter's Legacy is a very short metroidvania that is very janky but decent enough, until the last level is horrible and the last boss made me delete the game, so avoid this one in my opinion.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Ok so I'm gonna post it here because I'm fed up and it has been boggling me for months now: how come I can't log anymore to the web eshop on Chrome? WHenever I click on the loading profile picture on the upper right corner it opens then closes a page without logging me in. If I delete my cookies, I can access to the login page, login again, receive the "new connexion" email, but the website doesn't log me in. What gives?

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Now I'm on holiday, I've had a chance to play a few of the Switch games I have stockpiled over the last few months

Cadence of Hyrle has really yet to click with me but I'll stick at it for a bit.

American Fugitive is an interesting (so far) take on the 2D GTA games. I was hoping for something like the DS GTA game but it's a little slower than that but i'll see where it takes me.

Ape Out. This is really great for me for a short play sessions. Quite enjoying it.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
Ok so I'm gonna post it here because I'm fed up and it has been boggling me for months now: how come I can't log anymore to the web eshop on Chrome? WHenever I click on the loading profile picture on the upper right corner it opens then closes a page without logging me in. If I delete my cookies, I can access to the login page, login again, receive the "new connexion" email, but the website doesn't log me in. What gives?
Delete cookies on accounts.nintendo.com also?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
snow battle princess sayuki has a cheap looking aesthetic that i cant help but like. it's mindless fun so far

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I too was about to post some sale impressions, keep in mind this is all based on very early impressions / little time with the games:

- Azure Saga Pathfinder - seems decent if you need a cheap jrpg fix. Well, jrpg-by-the-way-of-western-dev. Battles are traditional 3 character turn based stuff, with some cool mechanics based on combining color-based skills into a "unity attack". Graphics are ok in battles but it has a very "flash game" look to it. I like the art while exploring more, as it uses a isometric view as you explore various rooms with switches and keys to collect and sidequests to find and whatnot. Story seems ok-ish too, if very cliche (its the "space guys land on medieval times planet, or time travveled, who knows" type story). Played about an hour and a half, just cleared the first big dungeon, actually had to use potions for the boss which is always nice. So far so good with this one.

- Aegis Defenders - been after this for ages (even back on pc) and it left great first impressions, at least of the frist level. Pixel art is gorgeous (love the animations), and the game seems to be split between platform action where you switch between multiple characters (or play co-op in real time), each with their own skills, there's a girl with a gun and can make bombs and traps and whatnot, and a old dude that uses melee and can craft turrets. This works nicely in the platforming sections, but it's also mostly for the second part of the game, the tower defense part, where you use resources you collected to build turrets or bombs/traps (get it?) in 2d tower defense levels. Gameplay seems smooth, looks gorgeous, seems to have a lot of stuff to upgrade and build, so yeah, seems great to me.

- Mulaka - mostly tried it to see how it ran portable (I only use the switch portable), and its very smooth (no idea how smooth it is when you get to those big bosses tho), gameplay is good too, very responsive, if a bit "loose". Low-poly artstyle looks gorgeous on the small screen.

And as a bonus, I already talked about this one yesterday but Hunter's Legacy is a very short metroidvania that is very janky but decent enough, until the last level is horrible and the last boss made me delete the game, so avoid this one in my opinion.

Appreciate the post.

Now I'm on holiday, I've had a chance to play a few of the Switch games I have stockpiled over the last few months

Cadence of Hyrle has really yet to click with me but I'll stick at it for a bit.

American Fugitive is an interesting (so far) take on the 2D GTA games. I was hoping for something like the DS GTA game but it's a little slower than that but i'll see where it takes me.

Ape Out. This is really great for me for a short play sessions. Quite enjoying it.

Can't wait for Ape Out's demo to hit.
I was hyped for it but then some early impressions over here kinda soured me a little and made me wait for a deep sale. I just want to have a first-hand look at it before grabbing it, so a demo is perfect for that.

These guys still seem to be wizards with Nintendo's "handhelds", easily rivaling Shin'en tech expertise. It seems the PC version was well received, and after the unfortunate and untimely death of VD-DEV founder and lead programmer Fernando Velez (RIP 😢), I have even more reason to support them. SEGA's arcade racing games are my jam and this one seem to aim for that kind of experience.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
A few impressions on my latest ON SALE grabs:
-

• Miles & Milo

As expected (Kid Tripp dev, which was a lil' gem) Miles & Kilo is absolutely charming and like its "prequel" perfecting stages is super satisfying thanks to the clever level building/enemies placement. Think some Rayman Origins/Legend/JungleRun/etc running levels but a bit more devilish.

Super enjoyable and charming.
For less than 2€ you can't go wrong.
There's also a demo.

• Dragon's Lair Trilogy

Next is impressions on Dragon's Lair Trilogy.

Unfortunately the old DVD PC Version for DL1 and the Trilogy on Wii keep being the only releases to really get it right and output in uncropped 1.33:1 (4/3); all the other releases (Steam/GOG/PS3/PS4...) and now Switch only output the games in cropped 16:9 (super obvious in the Black Knight stage) which is an utter shame because the telecine restoration and digital scan work is beautiful and the games have never looked this good (the colors especially are so much better than the LD/Arcade version).

Absolutely gorgeous in portable mode.

For 9€ (on sale) I'd say it's still worth it if you're a fan like myself (tho if you don't care about hh play you can stick to the ps4/etc versions) but it does piss me off everytime I think about Digital L sticking to the cropped version because it means we likely won't ever have a definitive version. Even playing in cabinet mode, with a cool overlay of the original coin-op art will output in 4:3... with black bars on top and bottom lol.

Awesome Don Bluth's interviews/extras btw.

For the fans, it's a great package. But keep that Wii disc, lol
-

• Pac-Man CE2+

Well I'm a huuuuge fan of anything Pac-Man (Ms. Pac-Man and og Pac-Man CE are in my top10 ever) and I think the new CE games have gotten "worse" with each DX release: CE2 keeps that tradition and imo is the weakest of the bunch. Still, I enjoyed it nonetheless and I love the new 2p mode here in CE2 Plus, you can even play it in solo mode with the cpu. I own CE2 on PS4 already but the reason I didn't double dip yet was because of framerate problems in portable mode. The game has since been patched and runs smoothly now although I didn't test much expert stages or frantic 2p solo mode full of vfx so take it with a grain of salt. But to me it's perfectly fine so far.

It's disappointing how CE seems stuck on Xbox and a crappy iOS version, especially because CE2 feels over designed and inferior to the og game in every way.

Btw, to change skins/gfx/character is hidden in the stage selection pressing X, took me a while to find it and at first I was pissed off because it looked like they had removed them, lol.

Needs moar colored text. 😎

I completely forgot Dragon's Lair Trilogy was a thing on Switch. We already have hundreds of games on sale at any given moment but there are tons of games that still have never received any kind of discount and could really benefit from the increased exposure a sale could provide. (I realize Dragon's Lair Trilogy is on sale in Europe but not in America atm.) Heck, not just on Switch; there's stuff on the 3DS eShop that's inexplicably never gone on sale, ever (in the US, at least). We're talking forgotten gems like Hiroshi Iuchi's Kokuga, the original Radiohammer, and all of the Jupiter Picross e series. But sometimes it's a blessing when crappy shovelware rots away in absolution instead of tempting unaware buyers with a cheaper price, like Vroom in the Night Sky. *shudder*

On an unrelated note (maybe?), that weird Operation Pig game just got discounted. You know, the one that has what might very well possibly be the most legendary Switch icon in existence.

(I'm spoiler-tagging this masterpiece of visual design since I don't want anyone to spontaneously orgasm if they catch a glance while scrolling by.)
cq5dam.thumbnail.319.319.png
I was only able to find just two reviews online, and they aren't exactly glowing with praise. Has anyone here played this? ...Anyone?

No joke, I wanna buy this just to have that glorious icon displayed on my Switch home menu for perpetuity.