• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
finished up Edith Finch over a few sittings. it's a very good port, i played the whole thing in handheld mode and while there were a few second-long stutters and the framerate might not quite hold 30 all the time, it looks beautiful and I wanna say it was full 720p at all times. it definitely runs better than any 3d game would on my macbook lol. it really is a beautiful game, it kind of blows my mind how many different objects are in the game at such a high level of detail from such a small team.
the story is great as well, i mentioned before i thought i had pretty much had all of it spoiled for me which ended up being true but playing the sequences myself was obviously much more impactful than reading about them...a few in particular are really excellent and emotional. great game

i know there was some discussion a few pages back on whether it's a 'walking simulator'. if you don't like that particular style of game it probably is not a game you will enjoy...while it has some more 'gamey' moments than something like Gone Home, it is still 100% working in that same mode. i quite like games like this but i understand that they're not for everyone

Edith Finch is a fantastic game indeed.
Played Edith Finch in my Christmas holidays 2017 on Xbox and the game still haunts me. Played Night in the Woods and Inside the same holiday and I was so impressed with these games ( on an emotional level ) that I then finally realised Indie games were my way to go. I hardly buy any so called triple A games nowadays, somehow most games don't resonate with me anymore and tbh, most times don't even miss them. I'm happy playing Indie, Retro, arcade and Nintendo games.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Ok, I've already said A Robot Named Fight is suuuper good, but I'll say it again: it's suuuper good. Really, it's an awesome game. If you're on the fence about it because of the random generated levels, let me tell you this: if I didn't know the levels were random generated, I wouldn't have noticed it (on my first run, naturally).

large.jpg

Just bear in mind the character moves around almost exactly like Samus in Super Metroid, including the way he jumps. So, if you don't like that, stay away. If that's not a problem for you and you're even slightly interested in it, I suggest you grab it (it's super cheap right now).
For 2 dollars it is a steal honestly it is the closest an indie has gotten to metroid physics and controls imo

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Trying to decide right now between getting Super Mutant Alien Assault, Halcyon 6, or Streets of Rogue. All of them appeal to me but I can only afford one right now. Can anyone weigh in who has played these?

Also yeah A Robot Named Fight is one of the best roguelites on the system.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
Are there any good Contra/Metal Slug style games besides Blazing Chrome, Cuphead and Gunlord X? I just beat Blazing Chrome a few days ago and I loved it and it made me go to the Contra Collection which I'm almost finishing up too.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Trying to decide right now between getting Super Mutant Alien Assault, Halcyon 6, or Streets of Rogue. All of them appeal to me but I can only afford one right now. Can anyone weigh in who has played these?

I got A Robot Named Fight due to a recommendation here and I had to stop playing after 20 mins. It feels so unsatisfying to move and jump. Does the game get any better?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I got A Robot Named Fight due to a recommendation here and I had to stop playing after 20 mins. It feels so unsatisfying to move and jump. Does the game get any better?
The movement is a carbon copy of Super Metroid. Actually, it was adjusted a bit due to complaints like yours. But if you don't like Super Metroid you won't like this.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
• Miles & Milo

As expected (Kid Tripp dev, which was a lil' gem) Miles & Kilo is absolutely charming and like its "prequel" perfecting stages is super satisfying thanks to the clever level building/enemies placement. Think some Rayman Origins/Legend/JungleRun/etc running levels but a bit more devilish.

Super enjoyable and charming.
For less than 2€ you can't go wrong.
There's also a demo.
Nice. I've been on a cheap ass game kick as of late not wanting to get deeply invested in any game. This one looked interesting but I hadn't heard of it. I didn't know this was from the Kid Tripp dev. Sold. Thanks for posting as I've already enjoyed racing through the first world.

Add that to Ninjin, Robot Named Fight, Space War Arena, Burnstar, Mutant Mudds, Xeodrifter, Membrane and my $10 was well spent.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 16 - Distrust - Alawar - $11.99/€11.99 - 505 MB
  • 16 - Lost Orbit: Terminal Velocity - $9.99/€8.99 - 1.8 GB
  • 16 - Let's Sing 2019 - Plug In Digital - $39.99 - 2.2 GB *NA*
  • 16 - Forklift - The Simulation - Polygon Art - $9.99 - 1.2 GB *NA*
    --
  • 17 - Let's Go Nuts - Devjuice - $9.99/€8.89 - 124 MB
    --
  • 18 - Etherborn - Altered Matter - $16.99/€16.99 - 1.4 GB
  • 18 - Caladrius Blaze - Moss
  • 18 - Archlion Saga - Kemco - $4.99/€4.99 (Preorder sale: $3.49/€3.49) - 197 MB
  • 18 - Growtopia - Ubisoft - Free-to-Play - 186 MB
  • 18 - The Drama Queen Murder - Ocean Media - $9.99 - 461 MB
  • 18 - World Cruise Story - Kairosoft - $12.00/€10.00 - 191 MB
  • 18 - Royal Roads - 8Floor Games - $9.99/€8.79 - 892 MB
  • 18 - Hyperlight Ultimate - CatfishBlues Games - €8.99 (Preorder sale: €5.99) - 188 MB *EU*
  • 18 - Battle & Crash - Starsign - $4.99/€4.99 - 328 MB
  • 18 - Tarot Readings Premium - Crazysoft - $8.99/€8.99 (Preorder sale: $7.91/€7.82) - 158 MB
    --
  • 19 - Lost Ember - Mooneye Studios
  • 19 - Redeemer: Enhanced Edition - Sobaka Studio/Koch Media - $29.99/€29.99 - 3.2 GB
  • 19 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - Team Ninja/Nintendo - $59.99/€59.99 - 13.2 GB
  • 19 - Astro Bears - Sonka - $6.99/€6.99 - 254 MB
  • 19 - Mini Trains - QubicGames - $5.99/€5.99 (Sale if you own one QubicGames game: $2.99/€2.99) - 2.0 GB
  • 19 - Jim is Moving Out! - Cinemax - $14.99/€12.99 (Preorder sale: $11.99/€9.99) - 863 MB
  • 19 - JumpHead: Battle4Fun! - Light Maze - $8.99/€8.99 (Preorder sale: €7.64) - 645 MB

- Japan
  • 18 - Fushigi no Gensokyo: Lotus Labyrinth - Unties - ¥6,264
  • 18 - Shin Hayarigami 1 and 2 - Nippon Ichi - ¥5,378
  • 18 - Sumikko Gurashi: Gakkou Seikatsu Hajimerun Desu - Nippon Columbia - ¥6,264
  • 18 - Tlicolity Eyes -twinkle showtime- - Idea Factory - ¥7,344

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah same,. Just managed to get a win with all Slay the Spire characters no real urge to jump into anything else besides MUA3 this week (I'll try Ascendant runs later).
Same here. Was thinking about starting Yoshi but realised that I have Marvel this week so just continued playing Armored Warriors instead on the Capcom Belt Collection (almost 1CC'ed it, which I was happy about!)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Halcyon 6 is on sale for the first time so maybe prioritize that. Feels like one that won't end up on the sales page every couple of weeks.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
2 questions

#1 can I buy an eshop card in France and use in Germany? Basically as long as the currency is the same it can be used? So an EU card can work on any EU account?

#2 best place to buy the cards online and get sent the code via email

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the Gato Roboto recommendations guys, I just finished it yesterday and it's so tight and fun to play! Was definitely worth it for that low price!

Out of interest, has anyone here played the Swords of Ditto? I came across it looking at Devolver's other releases and it looks nice, but I'm not entirely sure what it really is. Is it a roguelike? Is there proper progression? It sorta looks like Zelda crossed with the Cartoon Network, but the trailer mentions "no permadeath!" so I'm not so sure *how* it plays.

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone is interested, I reviewed Furwind, which came out a couple of weeks ago on the eShop.

I liked it (especially the pixel art), but some level quirks and the main way Furwind attacks made for some frustrating moments. Plus, although the game is solid enough, it doesn't do a lot to separate itself from the pack. However, if you like a challenge, Furwind is only $9.99.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I have never even heard of A Robot Named Fight, but I like the sound of it and the look too - at that price I cant go wrong! Just picked it up. Thanks for the recommendation!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Streets of Rogue Review from Nintendo Life (8/10):

Streets of Rogue isn't the cheapest of rogue-lites available on the eShop, but years of developmental evolution in Early Access have resulted in the final product making it to Nintendo Switch, and while we do feel the asking price is a tad high, the amount of content you get far surpasses what you're probably expecting. RPGs are at their best when they give you a world where you can be anyone and do anything - Skyrim has built its legacy on that very concept - so if you want to be a werewolf, or a scientist, or a bartender, then this is the game for you.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the Gato Roboto recommendations guys, I just finished it yesterday and it's so tight and fun to play! Was definitely worth it for that low price!

Out of interest, has anyone here played the Swords of Ditto? I came across it looking at Devolver's other releases and it looks nice, but I'm not entirely sure what it really is. Is it a roguelike? Is there proper progression? It sorta looks like Zelda crossed with the Cartoon Network, but the trailer mentions "no permadeath!" so I'm not so sure *how* it plays.
I've only played it for like 5 minutes. But the game looks beautiful! Plays like a typical Zelda game too. I think if you're into the art style and Zelda gameplay, you'll probably be into this.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm positively surprised by little nightmares. Not only is the game gorgeous, but I found that it doesn't control as bad as some people felt. It has enough gameplay not to be considered a walking simulator, and I felt that the duration, when counting the DLC, was absolutely perfect. I played on a rainy night and had a genuinely great time. It goes toe to toe with Inside, in my opinion. I haven't played Limbo yet, but I may buy it next time it's on sales.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand; they literally removed a game from the eshop and are now trying to sell it again as a "new" game?
Also, I think I bought this game when it was 1 euros, but never really played it...

I read that previous owners can download the expanded new version, free of charge for one month. It's even getting a title change from Astro Bears Party... to Astro Bears.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
SUPER CANE MAGIC keeps rising on the Italian eShop charts, I imagine it's because the game artstyle is tied to a web-comic artist who's big on Youtube Italy or something? Even the name of the game is a wordplay since magic "cane" means magic dog in Italian. Is that the case on other eShops? The game ain't cheap (€25) and there's a gazillion games on sale, yet this one keeps selling. I'm kinda fascinated by it :D

To be fair the game looks kinda charming, so who knows.

Another game that I ALWAYS see on the Italian charts but nowhere else is that 60 Seconds game, ain't that shovelware garbage tho?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I'm positively surprised by little nightmares. Not only is the game gorgeous, but I found that it doesn't control as bad as some people felt. It has enough gameplay not to be considered a walking simulator, and I felt that the duration, when counting the DLC, was absolutely perfect. I played on a rainy night and had a genuinely great time. It goes toe to toe with Inside, in my opinion. I haven't played Limbo yet, but I may buy it next time it's on sales.

LN is an awesome entry of the cinematic puzzle platformer genre and I've praised it plenty in the past. The big problem with the Switch version (since the soft image/low rez output on hh mode kinda works with the artstyle and atmosphere the game is going for) were the exhaustingly long loading timea you have to suffer every time you die.
Really brings the experience down a notch.

BUT I've played it before Nintendo released the update which made improvements on the system's loading times, I'm curios if and by how much they've improved.

LIMBO is great, and was even better back then because so many games have copied it/inspired by it in the meantime, so you might feel kinda "been there done that".

INSIDE (same devs) is a masterpiece tho.

Avoid Planet Alpha, the demo is better than the full game lol

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Edith Finch is a fantastic game indeed.
Played Edith Finch in my Christmas holidays 2017 on Xbox and the game still haunts me. Played Night in the Woods and Inside the same holiday and I was so impressed with these games ( on an emotional level ) that I then finally realised Indie games were my way to go. I hardly buy any so called triple A games nowadays, somehow most games don't resonate with me anymore and tbh, most times don't even miss them. I'm happy playing Indie, Retro, arcade and Nintendo games.
Same same, my ps4 is my ps+ machine to which I just keep adding the games they give but in the end I never play. In contrast I but a ton of small indie games on switch that I enjoy immensely as I can play in short sessions at my pace.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
If anyone is interested, I reviewed Furwind, which came out a couple of weeks ago on the eShop.

I liked it (especially the pixel art), but some level quirks and the main way Furwind attacks made for some frustrating moments. Plus, although the game is solid enough, it doesn't do a lot to separate itself from the pack. However, if you like a challenge, Furwind is only $9.99.

Great concise review. Normally any game featuring a playable fox protagonist is an insta-buy (hellooooo New Super Lucky's Tale), but I'll be waiting for a sale since I'm drowning in budget indie platformers as is and this one seems to have its fair share of flaws. Plus it's published by JanduSoft who often have deep price cuts on their catalogue so it's probably only a matter of months until you can nab it for pocket change.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
SUPER CANE MAGIC keeps rising on the Italian eShop charts, I imagine it's because the game artstyle is tied to a web-comic artist who's big on Youtube Italy or something? Even the name of the game is a wordplay since magic "cane" means magic dog in Italian. Is that the case on other eShops? The game ain't cheap (€25) and there's a gazillion games on sale, yet this one keeps selling. I'm kinda fascinated by it :D

To be fair the game looks kinda charming, so who knows.

Another game that I ALWAYS see on the Italian charts but nowhere else is that 60 Seconds game, ain't that shovelware garbage tho?

I bought Super Cane Magic Zero and it's sorta fun but holy shit it has the longest load times I have seen on Switch. Debilitating load times to the point I can't play it anymore. Also had a couple crashes.

However the core of the game is fun, very colorful and neat graphics, you can eat everything in the game with wild effects and there are items everywhere to loot.

It's pretty damn hard solo so I think it would be easier and more fun with even 1 more person with you. It's on PS4 as well and I'm considering buying it there if I can find out about its load times. Solid 7/10 If you don't take load times into account. 4/10 if you do lol

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

Halcyon 6 is a fun space rpg the controls are odd but I've played a couple hours and like it.

Streets of Rogue I've had since early access on Steam and bought on switch. The game is freaking great!!! Rogue-lite in an urban curt starting in the slums and working your way up to the affluent top layer (think of the city like a layered pizza you start at the bottom)
You have a home base you can purchase permanent upgrades at, open up new items for runs, play co-op, and even a cheat menu in game you can enable a TON of settings to make the game easier or harder or even weirder.
Graphics are awesome pixel art I love them. Music is like an 80s movie like Rocky or something they fit the game perfectly!
Gameplay is king though - you get random missions on each level and a bigger "area quest" you clear these out to move to the next level. There are just TONS of items weapons armor etc and you never know what crazy thing you will get. There are random zombie invasions. You can have npc followers who will fight alongside. Hack computers to unlock things. Do missions for a drug dealer. Evade security cameras. Attack anyone at any time! Levels are procedurally generates so it's always fresh and a little different. I could go on and on but this game is a 9/10 and I HIGHLY recommend it to pretty much anybody :)

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Just got Cuphead again despite having it on Steam. Game is so fucking good. Picked up Coffee Crisis as well because I am a sucker for beat em ups. Have my eyes on Gun Lord X and Yumme Nikki.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendolife saying Streets of Rogue's price was a bit steep had me expecting the worst but it's only $20 lol, so that's where we're now, huh.

That's probably on me for giving NF the time of day in 2019 tho.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like A Robot Named Fight or Blazing Chrome from this month.

Thanks for the recommendations though. I'm not having any Switch game really stick with me so far this year. Steamworld Quest was good, but not something that I'm just absolutely high on.

My standout for 2019 so far is Steins;Gate Elite. It's on sale now 50%! It's my #2 GOTY right now behind Slay the Spire (which I already have 100 hours on PC, so hard for me to recognize it as a Switch game. Same with Cuphead)

But yeah 2019 so far for me is:

1. Slay the Spire
2. Steins;Gate Elite
3. Katana ZERO
4. Steamworld Quest
5. Mario Maker

I've played a ton of Cuphead and Dead Cells (pre-2018) on Switch this year as well. But yeah, all in all not much this year as really stuck out with me.

Hopefully FE Three Houses will be super great like the others have been.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Halcyon 6 is a fun space rpg the controls are odd but I've played a couple hours and like it.

Streets of Rogue I've had since early access on Steam and bought on switch. The game is freaking great!!! Rogue-lite in an urban curt starting in the slums and working your way up to the affluent top layer (think of the city like a layered pizza you start at the bottom)
You have a home base you can purchase permanent upgrades at, open up new items for runs, play co-op, and even a cheat menu in game you can enable a TON of settings to make the game easier or harder or even weirder.
Graphics are awesome pixel art I love them. Music is like an 80s movie like Rocky or something they fit the game perfectly!
Gameplay is king though - you get random missions on each level and a bigger "area quest" you clear these out to move to the next level. There are just TONS of items weapons armor etc and you never know what crazy thing you will get. There are random zombie invasions. You can have npc followers who will fight alongside. Hack computers to unlock things. Do missions for a drug dealer. Evade security cameras. Attack anyone at any time! Levels are procedurally generates so it's always fresh and a little different. I could go on and on but this game is a 9/10 and I HIGHLY recommend it to pretty much anybody :)
I could tell Streets of Rogue is a pretty special and cool game.

But it definitely wasn't for me. Can't stand the pixel art and the low-budget feel of it (I understand it's an Indie!). I'm an absolute snob when it comes to Indie games these days. But presentation matters a lot to me!

I'd still recommend everyone to try Streets of Rogue. It looks cool, but yeah I was never a GTA1/2 fan or that concept of game play.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel the itch to play something classic in handheld mode during a longer train ride tomorrow. I am eying the Mega Man Collections. The last time I played a Mega Man game was back in the day on the Gameboy. Currently, there are the X collections on sale. I never played one of these. There are so many Mega Man games, did they really have some ideas left for the sequels 10 - 19? Or in other words, can someone recommend these collections over the classic NES ones?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I feel the itch to play something classic in handheld mode during a longer train ride tomorrow. I am eying the Mega Man Collections. The last time I played a Mega Man game was back in the day on the Gameboy. Currently, there are the X collections on sale. I never played one of these. There are so many Mega Man games, did they really have some ideas left for the sequels 10 - 19? Or in other words, can someone recommend these collections over the classic NES ones?
9 and 10 are new games made for WiiWare in like 2009-ish?

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017

Mega Man 9 is arguably my favorite classic Mega Man game

Edit: I just realized what you're asking and I'd 100% recommend the Mega Man Collections over either X Collection. Personally I don't think X Collection 2 has a single good game on it.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The X games are set 100 years in the future and star a new protagonist. They have a darker, "cooler" vibe in general and are much more action packed. They're less sequels to the classic games are more of an evolution of sorts in terms of movement and action.

The X series varies A LOT in quality, unlike classic MM, but the ones that are good are extremely so. Especially X1, 2 and 4, all of which are included in the first X collection. Personally I like classic more overall, but X1 is straight up one of the best games of all time.

By the way the X is just the letter X, not a roman numeral, haha.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The X games are set 100 years in the future and star a new protagonist. They have a darker, "cooler" vibe in general and are much more action packed. They're less sequels to the classic games are more of an evolution of sorts in terms of movement and action.

The X series varies A LOT in quality, unlike classic MM, but the ones that are good are extremely so. Especially X1, 2 and 4, all of which are included in the first X collection. Personally I like classic more overall, but X1 is straight up one of the best games of all time.

By the way the X is just the letter X, not a roman numeral, haha.

I really thought that the letter X was meant to be the roman numeral:D

You sold me on the X1 Collection. I wanted to catch up on them for a long time. So why not start with these.

@ El Pescado: I own the first Legacy Collection on steam. I completely forgot about that. I'll check them out next week.

Oct 25, 2017
MMLC 2 offers a good spread of classic Mega Man as it includes SNES / PSX and NES style. 9 and 10 in particular are really good, I have a soft spot for 7.

Get the X legacy collection if you prefer dash mechanics in your 2d platform shooters. X1 is the best Mega Man X game, it might even be the best Mega Man game.

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
After getting Gato Roboto because of tjis thread, I finished it yesterday. And I absolutely need to recommend it. I never liked Super Metroid (don't murder me 🙈), because it was too hard and complex for me. Gato Roboto is more straight forward (with some optional exploration) and follows a mantra of 'fun over challenge'. Just moving around as a cat or with your battle suit feels so good, it's sooo smooth. It looks like an NES-game, but really runs like a modern one.

Only criticism are the difficulty spikes during the handful of boss fights, especially one of them. I persevered because I had so much fun until then, but I can see many gamers being forced to quit the game at that point, which is a bummer. And there's no help option for those who have trouble with these fights. They're doable (after all, I did it), but they're significantly more difficult than the majority of the game, almost feeling out of place.

Anyway, go get this game. It's purrfect.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I need to grab the capcom beatem up bundle next time it's on sale... anybody remember when it was last on sale?