• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

E3 2019 Switch release suprises:

• Cadence of Hyrule

Votes: 403 56.1%
  • My Friend Pedro

Votes: 86 12.0%
  • Shovel Knight: King of Cards

Votes: 109 15.2%
  • CrossCode

Votes: 98 13.6%
  • SNES - Nintendo Switch Online

Votes: 255 35.5%
  • Mother 3

Votes: 153 21.3%
  • Other (Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition, A Hat in Time, Forager, Virtua Racing, more)

Votes: 96 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
oLCYude.png

giphy.gif

Xeno 2 is the season pass

Ill probably end up double dipping on HK before the sale is over too >_>
Well, you've got it worse than I have and I've got it pretty bad. I'm happy with my restraint and envious of you at the same time. My God I want EVERYTHING!

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
>

Sure. Yes it does. Its a very "Cavey" shooter. Its reminiscent of Akaikatana in perspective and style but different in system and aproach.
The game is hard but mostly far . You have 3 difficulty levels where "easy" has a very doable 1cc but still challenging and fun.
You control 1 of 3 ships wich share same design but diferent shooting style (it differs from spread to narrow shot).
Visuals are pretty cool but nothing amazing, soundtrack is quit good though. Cinematic stage interludes are really cool and well done. Presentation is strong with nice color schemes and overall design.
Control is spot on and ship has a pretty small hit box, it also has a pod (ence the title Rolling Gunner) wich you cant throw as a wepaon, but instead it moves freely around you according with your movements a la Battle Garegga.
Game has a great system where you charge a sort of Hyper meter wich will grant you an Hyper Power shot for a few moments. Triggering those Hypers will enable you with a few frames of invincibility and cancel enemy bullets.
Score is mostly done by destruction and collecting medals. The longer your Hyper the more valuable are your medals. So you will want to keep that bar charged as often as posssible.
Theres no online leaderboards wich sucks :(

Nice. Thanks for the details.
I noticed the the visuals are not amazing but i saw one of those stage interlude and it was pretty cool.
The small hit box is good so it's easier to "dance" between the bullets.

Guess i'll need to buy this when it comes out. Hope the switch version runs fine.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the experts. I have 1 Voucher left. I have purchased Zelda, Mario Oddysey, Smash Bros, MUA3, and Astral Chain. I am debating either New SM Bros or Donkey Kong. What do you folks recommend? I'm also debating leaving it be and seeing if Luigi gets added for vouchers later. Thanks for any help!!
I would say it's almost certain Luigi will be available for vouchers.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing through Hue. Nabbit mentioned this game way back before it was released on Switch as en enjoyable title and it is indeed.

It's a puzzle platformer that revolves around changing the colour of the background, which makes objects in the foreground appear/disappear. It changes things up really well, with some rooms being about the fast platforming, while others are all about puzzle-solving and thinking things through deliberately. The pacing is well done.

Really glad to hear you've been enjoying it. We didn't find all the vials but the replay value didn't seem super high. The puzzles and story were plenty compelling during our playthrough, though. Really great little gem just as I expect from Curve Digital. They were one of the most prominent indie devs/pubs on Wii U.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Question for the experts. I have 1 Voucher left. I have purchased Zelda, Mario Oddysey, Smash Bros, MUA3, and Astral Chain. I am debating either New SM Bros or Donkey Kong. What do you folks recommend? I'm also debating leaving it be and seeing if Luigi gets added for vouchers later. Thanks for any help!!

I imagine Luigi's Mansion 3 will be added (and looks fantastic) but if its burning a hole in your pocket go with Donkey Kong, I'm not even a DKC fan and I adored it.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany

It does not really help, but DKC Tropical Freeze is already on sale the third time in Europe. In general, it seems like Nintendo is willing to drop 60$ games to 40 digitally quite regularly.

And now that I'm looking at the E3 sale.... it's also on sale in the US, is it not?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
why would you use the voucher on a game that is currently 40? you would literally be losing money. I mean, can you even use it on a game on sale?

also any nintendo first party game will be added. Luigi Mansion is first party.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, the voucher program isn't going to be available until after the end of July?

What the hell is up with that?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sword and Shield, Link's Awakening, Daemon X Machina

Oh, you said Luigi's Mansion, 99.9999 percent chance that's eligible

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
That seems so silly. I thought this was a 'perk' for NSO subscribers. Not that it was going to be around for a limited amount of time.

Guess I gotta stock up on a few before then.

Nintendo's probably using this as an experiment to see how successful this "choose-your-own-double-pack" thing is without committing wholeheartedly to it, and it's another effort to get more people to sign up for NSO, possibly functioning as a stopgap between Tetris 99 and SNES games being added to the service. (Although I still think they'll charge an extra $10+/year for those.)

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if the Australian version of Katana Zero has any content differences with the rest of the world's? I was concerned about this since it was unrated initially but got rated R18+ and released a couple of days ago.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They could bring them back again in the future, but the wording on Nintendo's site specifically says that it's a limited-time offer and only available through July 31st.

I can't find an end date on the Dutch Nintendo site. It's nowhere to be found. Not on the same page as the one you're linking, not in the FAQ, not on the purchase screen. They will probably stay beyond the 31st of July, but better safe than sorry, I guess.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching some Stardew Valley gameplay and it kinda looks like a mix of Animal Crossing and DQ Builders. Is that more or less it or is there some secret sauce, some ingredient that I'm missing?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching some Stardew Valley gameplay and it kinda looks like a mix of Animal Crossing and DQ Builders. Is that more or less it or is there some secret sauce, some ingredient that I'm missing?
Yeah that's pretty accurate. There's also a super simple Zelda 1 top down dungeon crawler (you have a a sword, whack enemies) area called the "mines" where you go and battle enemies. It's super simple combat. But something fun to do to break up farming and talking to people and crafting.

It's not my kind of game at all (everything about it so slow! It feels like an even slower paced Animal Crossing). But my wife LOVED it. It's currently the most played thing on my Switch, over 140+ hours. She also loves Animal Crossing, so it scratches the same itch.

It's such a beloved game, it's worth it just to try it and see what all the hype is about.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the NBA game for $3. I'm thinking I'll just play it for the GM mode. The MyCareer thing sounds dumb, and what's worse is that apparently you need to grind or pay microtransactions to make progress in that mode once you get to a certain point.

So I'll probably just avoid it altogether. And if I delete this off my account in the morning, for $3, oh well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, guys, guys, holy crap you guys.

Steamworld Quest is the freaking bomb. It's one of the best RPGs I've played in years.

You gotta pick it up.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the best Steamworld game (in fact, I would barely put it above Dig 1) :/

I was pretty disapointed with it unfortunately. I mean I liked it, but after Dig 2 / Heist, and my love for card games...yeah :(

It is by far the best Steamworld game. For starters the writing is actually good for once, with the infectiously cheerful doofus Armilly leading a cast of misfits on her journey to save the day. I need to be invested in the world I'm in, and while Dig and Heist have had really good premises with the mutated remnants of humanity and the space faring cowbots, they never stuck the landing.

But even if the writing were as subpar as the rest of the series the customizable to the point of obsession gameplay would still push me through. The card battle system is so unique and elegant I'm surprised I've never seen it done before, and tying every action to single use cards that get randomly drawn from a deck every turn makes every single encounter thrilling and challenging.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's probably using this as an experiment to see how successful this "choose-your-own-double-pack" thing is without committing wholeheartedly to it, and it's another effort to get more people to sign up for NSO, possibly functioning as a stopgap between Tetris 99 and SNES games being added to the service. (Although I still think they'll charge an extra $10+/year for those.)
I'd love if they made this available even once or twice per year per NSO user. Such a great offer that really should be extended further imo

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
It is by far the best Steamworld game. For starters the writing is actually good for once, with the infectiously cheerful doofus Armilly leading a cast of misfits on her journey to save the day. I need to be invested in the world I'm in, and while Dig and Heist have had really good premises with the mutated remnants of humanity and the space faring cowbots, they never stuck the landing.

But even if the writing were as subpar as the rest of the series the customizable to the point of obsession gameplay would still push me through. The card battle system is so unique and elegant I'm surprised I've never seen it done before, and tying every action to single use cards that get randomly drawn from a deck every turn makes every single encounter thrilling and challenging.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree, story / writing in those games is by far my least concern, mechanically like I said, its borderline the worst of the games (I mean, if you can even compare them I guess since they are so different, but certainly when compared to other similar games, Dig 2 holds up much better against other metroidvanias and Heist against other xcom-y games than Quest does against other card games. In my opinion of course).

It's very pretty at least.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess we will have to agree to disagree, story / writing in those games is by far my least concern, mechanically like I said, its borderline the worst of the games (I mean, if you can even compare them I guess since they are so different, but certainly when compared to other similar games, Dig 2 holds up much better against other metroidvanias and Heist against other xcom-y games than Quest does against other card games. In my opinion of course).

It's very pretty at least.

Dig 2 was fun while I played it but it also ended in six hours. I'm an hour shy of that in my playthrough of SWQ and I've just got my first new party member.

Heist's gameplay is tons of fun but I didn't like how it punished failure by robbing you of vital cash, which was especially painful given that it was impossible to plan ahead for the maps since they were randomly generated.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I sound harsher on the game than I intend I guess, I did like it and dont regret buying it.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried Necrodancer years ago and felt it was a total chore to play. Even though I love Zelda music I guess I shouldn't bother with Cadence of Hyrule?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I can't find an end date on the Dutch Nintendo site. It's nowhere to be found. Not on the same page as the one you're linking, not in the FAQ, not on the purchase screen. They will probably stay beyond the 31st of July, but better safe than sorry, I guess.

It's not enough that you guys have a great bike culture and the tallest people in the world. Now you gotta go and get extended access to those sweet game vouchers, too. :P

(Gosh, I hope you're right, but I'm not super optimistic...)

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Besides the enormous size, is it just not a fun game? How does it compare to other basketball games on Switch?

I don't really know mate, I just wanted to make a stupid joke. I think it's decent actually, though littered with micro-transaction or brain-dead grinding. But for quick matches with friends who like basketball (I don't), I guess it can be fun. And well, for 3 bucks, you're not taking a big risk.
Personally, I have stopped buying those 1-3$ game for which I don't have a real interest, because they end-up littering my backlog and I never really touch them.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Besides the enormous size, is it just not a fun game? How does it compare to other basketball games on Switch?
Actually, from what I remember at the time it came out as far as word of mouth, it's a good game as long as you avoid the MTX part (which is indeed avoidable). Not many reviews for the Switch version, but it has an 82% metacritic on Switch as well, and this $3 deal is available also on other platforms, it's not Switch specific.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really know mate, I just wanted to make a stupid joke. I think it's decent actually, though littered with micro-transaction or brain-dead grinding. But for quick matches with friends who like basketball (I don't), I guess it can be fun. And well, for 3 bucks, you're not taking a big risk.
Personally, I have stopped buying those 1-3$ game for which I don't have a real interest, because they end-up littering my backlog and I never really touch them.
Actually, from what I remember at the time it came out as far as word of mouth, it's a good game as long as you avoid the MTX part (which is indeed avoidable). Not many reviews for the Switch version, but it has an 82% metacritic on Switch as well, and this $3 deal is available also on other platforms, it's not Switch specific.
I see, thanks!

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Bought original Necrodancer for £2 after some gold points and played a few runs before work this morning.

I know the phrase "Perfect for Switch" gets thrown about a lot but this game truly is. I can easily see myself doing a few runs before bed every night.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Necrodancer years ago and felt it was a total chore to play. Even though I love Zelda music I guess I shouldn't bother with Cadence of Hyrule?

As someone who has bounced off of the original Necrodancer every time I've tried to get into it, I'm having a blast with Cadence of Hyrule. I feel like it's a lot easier to get into than the original game, even if you're not the biggest Zelda fan.