• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

E3 2019 Switch release suprises:

• Cadence of Hyrule

Votes: 403 56.1%
  • My Friend Pedro

Votes: 86 12.0%
  • Shovel Knight: King of Cards

Votes: 109 15.2%
  • CrossCode

Votes: 98 13.6%
  • SNES - Nintendo Switch Online

Votes: 255 35.5%
  • Mother 3

Votes: 153 21.3%
  • Other (Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition, A Hat in Time, Forager, Virtua Racing, more)

Votes: 96 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Decided to give up on Broken Age even though the first impression was great and I think it had one of the most imaginative stories and art in a while. But I just don't have the patience for these types of point and click adventures any more, I just lose too much time going from place to place one hundred times and if I get stuck in just too tempted to look up the solution online because I don't want to lose even more time figuring something out. Same thing happened to me with thimbleweed park which i did not finish either, although that one I almost did not like, it really wasn't close to the best of the genre imo.

So yeah, I think this genre is done for me, don't think I'll buy any more games of this kind going forward.

Anybody here made the same decision perhaps?

Also Epilexia where are you? We miss you!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Slay the Spire and now I understand why my friends have been so obsessed with this game.

I usually bounce off rogue-likes/lites but this one I can see myself playing for a long time.

Icey

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone pick up Phantom Doctrine? I've been hoping for some impressions on it. One of the few x-com likes we have on switch besides mario & rabbids so I'm interested.

I've put about 4-5 hours into slay the spire and almost beat the boss of act 3 twice now. It's really fun and I haven't noticed any issues frame rate or otherwise. I use my switch handheld 95% of the time too. This seems like a great game to play while watching TV or listening to a podcast.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Did anyone pick up Phantom Doctrine? I've been hoping for some impressions on it. One of the few x-com likes we have on switch besides mario & rabbids so I'm interested.
it's out in EU on the 13th so the pool of people might be limited. Hard West is on sale right now for 50% off (same devs, very well reviewed). PD was divisive at launch due to some weird hit% stuff iirc but they addressed all of that with updates afterwards (is what I've been told in a thread after a few months).

I still wanna do a Hard West/Phantom Doctrine combo OT, might do that today or next weekend.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
So this Slay the Spire game is pretty dope. There are framerate issues in handheld when cards are dealt but there is no scrolling/gameplay that is affected so a non-issue for me. Has that "one more room/run" feeling, lovin' it.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking the other day, Arcade Archieves or Jonny should put our Chase H.Q. That was a cracking game, and the closest to arcade perfect we got was on Saturn. I used to play it on my Amstrad CPC 6128 :)

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a card noob but I got caught up in the Slay the Spire fever without really knowing much about it and hot MADAM it's basically all the stuff from Steamworld Quest that I liked minus the moving dudes about and story shit I didn't. There goes my life.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up Slay the Spire and now I understand why my friends have been so obsessed with this game.

I usually bounce off rogue-likes/lites but this one I can see myself playing for a long time.
My wife and I have over 100+ hours on the PC/laptop version, we're going to go nuts on the Switch version having it more portable.

Okay, we've played a few runs and noticed some things. First things:

1. If you "accidentally" press a button on another set of Joycon controllers when playing, it will switch controls over to that set. Which is pretty weird. It will like rip the controls from whatever you're using (even in handheld) and go over to the Joycons that were just synced. It's weird, happened to us twice when we're playing and then all of a sudden "WTF I can't control anything! Only the touch screen works!". And its because one of kids accidentally bumped on another set of Joycons in the room and it synced up and became the player controls. Weird. It will shoot the controller you WERE using as player 2 controls, thus making them unusable.

2. I've had the game just straight up crash twice now. Like I got the box on the screen "Error. Reset your gamecard." and you can only exit to Home menu. Not a super big deal, since this game boots pretty fast and autosaves, but yup. Never had that on the PC version.

3. Yup the frame rate will dip when you have a lot of cards of screen and the animation happens when discarding them all or adding them all into a pile. But whatever, this bother me the least. You're literally playing a card turned based game. Slowdowns and hiccups don't affect gameplay here.

4. Yup, that font is small. It's not Xenoblade X bad, but it's noticeable coming from a PC version. However, I already know what every card does so it's not that much reading to do here, but after a few hours both my wife and I agree that it could use a little zoomed in feature to accommodate for the small screen. Although, I'm sure it's just the native resolution that makes it small, it'd be a shit load of work for a 2-guy indie team to make the font bigger. lol so it's probably not going to happen.

5. The music still sucks. I had it turned all the way off on the PC version. I don't know what it is about it. It's like super generic and doesn't add anything to the game. If anything, the music off and just the sound effects give it a more subtle creepy feeling.

My final review: 11/10. This game is valued in my heart at $59.99. It's the best rouge like I've ever played. Buy it without hesitation.

As always, if you have a laptop, it will probably run it better than Switch version. But that's par for the course and goes without saying.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
RE: Slay the Spire

I'll give it's go without the music. I've had one crash to home screen and I've noticed the slowdown on some decks when appearing or wiping. It's barely I thing though and I'm sure they'll patch it. Gameplay is sublime.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Just finished the demo of Hob and I think it sold me on the game, I liked it. Problem is I have too many games to play at the moment and Mario maker and slay the spire are coming in front no matter what.

But very good demo, gives you a good idea of what to expect from the game.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished the demo of Hob and I think it sold me on the game, I liked it. Problem is I have too many games to play at the moment and Mario maker and slay the spire are coming in front no matter what.

But very good demo, gives you a good idea of what to expect from the game.

lmao I haven't even had time to try the demo.

So many games.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking the other day, Arcade Archieves or Jonny should put our Chase H.Q. That was a cracking game, and the closest to arcade perfect we got was on Saturn. I used to play it on my Amstrad CPC 6128 :)

I used to play that game all the time back in the old arcade. "You're under Arrest on suspicion of 1st degree murder!"

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Switch Tax is fucking baffling sometimes

R5593S5.png

wl9wp6U.png

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
3. Yup the frame rate will dip when you have a lot of cards of screen and the animation happens when discarding them all or adding them all into a pile. But whatever, this bother me the least. You're literally playing a card turned based game. Slowdowns and hiccups don't affect gameplay here.

I really wish people wouldn't be so accepting of framerate issues...it's still an eyesore and all you're doing is saying it's ok to for the game to run like crap.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I really wish people wouldn't be so accepting of framerate issues...it's still an eyesore and all you're doing is saying it's ok to for the game to run like crap.
Here is the thing: to a lot of people it simply does not matter. For example, I could not care less if the frames are stuttery every now and then during a turn-based game. It's not an eyesore in any way.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish people wouldn't be so un-accepting of other people opinions and tastes ... it's still a matter of personal preference and all you're doing is saying that someone's feeling about something aren't okay because you don't feel exactly the same.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Well keep in mind TWO guys ported this game and it's not game play effecting. Also, I don't think anyone will objectively state that this game "runs like crap".

But if it's an issue for you and frame-rate issues are completely unacceptable in any context, then I understand. Wait for the game to go on sale, or don't buy. I mean, I get you. When I play Cuphead/Mega Man games on my PC and there's the slightest frame rate hiccup, I freak out. I want those games to be 100% smooth at all times, and whenever they hitch I go into my settings and start mucking around with things. So, I am super sensitive to frame rate in certain contexts. Sometimes I play games that I know run smoother on a console than on my PC (or vice versa), just because I want a consistently smooth experience... like Dead Cells. That game had issues on Switch when it released that I didn't play the game for 3 months until they released a patch and fixed it.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
When you leave the thread for a week and come back to see SpongeBob took over tolkir 's avatar:

giphy.gif

So I finished that Geki Yaba Runner Anniversary game yesterday. I doubt anyone here is yearning for impressions since it was basically free to anyone who bought one of the pub's other many dirt cheap games, but whatevs.

It's hard. Really, really hard. Which I suspected coming in to it having completed 2 Fast 4 Gnomz (ugh, that name) on 3DS years ago. There's so much working against it, from the low-budget presentation, to the same music track that plays unceasingly throughout all 80+ levels, audio bugs, and an ending that leaves a lot to be desired (probably because they thought very few players would ever even see it). And there are other problems like button inputs not being as precise as they could be and falling through ledges when there's clearly more space to run before the drop. And yet despite all that, I couldn't put it down. Maybe it's the inner masochist within, but the gameplay foundation is super solid just as it was in the 3DS entry and was enough for me to power on through to collect all the trophies.

QubicGames says that there are more levels on the way, so I'll be eagerly waiting for them. Hopefully they come bundled with a patch to fix some of the aforementioned issues.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
When you leave the thread for a week and come back to see SpongeBob took over tolkir 's avatar:

giphy.gif

So I finished that Geki Yaba Runner Anniversary game yesterday. I doubt anyone here is yearning for impressions since it was basically free to anyone who bought one of the pub's other many dirt cheap games, but whatevs.

It's hard. Really, really hard. Which I suspected coming in to it having completed 2 Fast 4 Gnomz (ugh, that name) on 3DS years ago. There's so much working against it, from the low-budget presentation, to the same music track that plays unceasingly throughout all 80+ levels, audio bugs, and an ending that leaves a lot to be desired (probably because they thought very few players would ever even see it). And there are other problems like button inputs not being as precise as they could be and falling through ledges when there's clearly more space to run before the drop. And yet despite all that, I couldn't put it down. Maybe it's the inner masochist within, but the gameplay foundation is super solid just as it was in the 3DS entry and was enough for me to power on through to collect all the trophies.

QubicGames says that there are more levels on the way, so I'll be eagerly waiting for them. Hopefully they come bundled with a patch to fix some of the aforementioned issues.
d8ffwr2-53422932-a199-48e3-800b-27b4e58de8b0.gif

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Slay the Spire is 2019's Into the Breach.

They should be mandatory installs on every Switch.
Agreed. After a couple runs everything clicked and I realized just how much control you really have, and how far you can plan ahead if you really take the time to work things out. It's brilliant. Both games are must owns.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish people wouldn't be so un-accepting of other people opinions and tastes ... it's still a matter of personal preference and all you're doing is saying that someone's feeling about something aren't okay because you don't feel exactly the same.

We're not talking about a style of gameplay or style preference. We're talking about performance issues with the game which I'm pretty sure no one would choose to have in the game. I'm just saying it's slightly annoying to see people say framerate issues are ok.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
We're not talking about a style of gameplay or style preference. We're talking about performance issues with the game which I'm pretty sure no one would choose to have in the game. I'm just saying it's slightly annoying to see people say framerate issues are ok.
1) all games should have flawlessly smooth framerates
2) imperfect framerates are ok if they don't interfere with the subjective or objective playability of a game

both of these statements are true and not mutually exclusive.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
1) all games should have flawlessly smooth framerates
2) imperfect framerates are ok if they don't interfere with the subjective or objective playability of a game

both of these statements are true and not mutually exclusive.

Can't agree with 2. That's like saying it's ok to have jank in a game. Tolerable sure, but never acceptable or ok.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Steamworld Quest for five minutes and it's already my favourite game from this series.

Apart from the really interesting gameplay, the deliberately cliche setting means the writing lands for once.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, finally picked up Downwell when I saw it on sale, jumped in docked this morning and was great, playing abit ago in handheld and was still great.

Then it dawned on me to check for tate mode between runs, instant god tier upgrade, gotta get me a flip grip for this.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
CrossCode and Cadence of Hyrule are definitely going to be mine. I wanted to buy Slay the Spire as well but I won't have enough money after I get Mario Maker 2

How was SteamWorld Quest? I have all the other games, I'm sure I'll add it to my digital horde eventually

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
CrossCode and Cadence of Hyrule are definitely going to be mine. I wanted to buy Slay the Spire as well but I won't have enough money after I get Mario Maker 2

How was SteamWorld Quest? I have all the other games, I'm sure I'll add it to my digital horde eventually
I beat it last week on the hardest difficulty. It took me a while to get into it, the first few chapters seemed repetitive and somewhat restrictive, but once I had a bigger pool of cards and party members, the game really clicked for me. I don't think it's as easy a recommendation as Dig 2 or Heist, but that's not so much because of any particular weakness but because it being an card-battling RPG, it inherently has a lot going and that stops it from being as "tightly designed" as the other 2. If you like the idea of an RPG with a card-based battle system set in the SteamWorld universe you're gonna love it though.

Music is top-notch and the art and visuals are the best the franchise has ever looked.

Also agreed about Cadence of Hyrule and CrossCode. Absolutely can't wait for either, I'm a huge fan of rhythm games but never played NecroDancer, and after playing the web demo, CrossCode is an absolute must-get for me. If both get shadow-dropped on Tuesday my monthly budget is going straight to the trash.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about CrossCode and now I'm scared of the possibilities of Tuesday to kill my wallet