• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

E3 2019 Switch release suprises:

• Cadence of Hyrule

Votes: 403 56.1%
  • My Friend Pedro

Votes: 86 12.0%
  • Shovel Knight: King of Cards

Votes: 109 15.2%
  • CrossCode

Votes: 98 13.6%
  • SNES - Nintendo Switch Online

Votes: 255 35.5%
  • Mother 3

Votes: 153 21.3%
  • Other (Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition, A Hat in Time, Forager, Virtua Racing, more)

Votes: 96 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing through Hue. Nabbit mentioned this game way back before it was released on Switch as en enjoyable title and it is indeed.

It's a puzzle platformer that revolves around changing the colour of the background, which makes objects in the foreground appear/disappear. It changes things up really well, with some rooms being about the fast platforming, while others are all about puzzle-solving and thinking things through deliberately. The pacing is well done.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad I picked up Mario + Rabbids. Gold edition for 67% off was finally a good enough deal to bite.

This is what I always wanted XCOM to be. Simple cover, extreme readability, and lots of movement options. Loving it so far.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
What's the latest brand/size recommendation for SD cards? Finally going to need one with some of these sales.

honestrade

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got Hollow Knight for $1.50 using the 600 gold points I got from preordering Smash. Seems like a good deal.

itsmedave

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Stupid question but is there a way to transfer from one card to another? I have a 128gb card now and am considering the 400gb one, but don't want to redownload the games from one to another.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Stupid question but is there a way to transfer from one card to another? I have a 128gb card now and am considering the 400gb one, but don't want to redownload the games from one to another.
Yes it should be just copy and paste to the new card. I've never got it to work on a Mac but it works just fine on PC.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up buying Mana Collection and FF7 so far on this sale.

Haven't played FF7 since it first released in the 90's and this port is actually pretty solid. Not using any cheats but the 3x speed booster and it's a very nice addition. Don't find the blurry backdrops all that distracting, knowing this is the only version patched for the music glitches is nice as well. Pleased so far and I've forgotten how good the OST kind of was(and how rotten the localization is too...yeesh).

Mana Collection is incredible so far. Though I have a fan-patched version of SD3 that I think also fixes and improves some of the gameplay bugs and whatnot...so not sure if I want to play this version that keeps all the broken stuff in(unless M2 fixed it during localization which I doubt). Still, its a great package and I will probably at least give them all a play.

Still eyeing Travis Strikes Again(anyone have thoughts?) and possibly Stardew Valley, which I never played(never even tried a Harvest Moon game).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
One thing to keep in mind with Travis Strikes Again when comparing prices: the physical copy comes with the DLC which is why it retails for higher. That said, my copy is still unopened so I have no idea if the DLC is even worth it.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I liked the visuals and the story quite a bit, but man the gameplay was spectacularly mediocre.

Yeah, that's the most common issue a lot of folks seem to have with Liar Princess. Personally thought the gameplay was perfectly serviceable save for one poorly-worded logic puzzle. The audio/visual package and saccharine story are truly special though and are the main draw here. I can't wait to go through it again later this year. I can see it becoming my annual Halloween game. :)

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Finally caved and bought Cosmic Star Heroine and My Time at Portia. No sale on the latter but considering what a good deal I've gotten on recent games, I don't mind paying full price. Especially when I expect to be playing for quite some time.

There are just too many games. I don't know how people do it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Did My Time at Portia get patched? That's the main thing that was holding me back from buying the switch version.

I'm tempted to buy FighterZ again if only because they actually put the DLC on sale for once (as opposed to Xenoverse 2).

Oct 29, 2017
Did My Time at Portia get patched? That's the main thing that was holding me back from buying the switch version.

I'm tempted to buy FighterZ again if only because they actually put the DLC on sale for once (as opposed to Xenoverse 2).

I think it's been patched to a point but performance is still pretty poor from what I've read. I haven't been on it since launch so I should probably give it another go.

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up on NBA. You can't use the sleep or whatever it's called function on the Switch without it disconnecting and you losing your progress. It forces you back to the main menu with long loads to get you back into the game. I think most of the modes require a connection too, at least the myplayer stuff does. Idk ruined my enjoyment of it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Bought FF7 during this sale, and wow, being able to toggle x3 speed whenever is the best. It's a trip seeing the game basically running at 60fps in this mode, like playing DOS games on hardware that is too fast for them. LOL

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I have a 400 sandisk. Thing is almost out of space and after this year I am going to need a bigger sd card.

Last time I checked they had a 1TB card but it was like four times as much as the 400 (the 512 also didn't seem worth upgrading from 400). Hopefully the prices go down.

One thing to keep in mind when buying an SD card, be careful with amazon, make sure you test every card you buy from them right away for fakes. they comingle stock so even stuff bought from amazon directly can be suspect.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
Finally caved and bought Cosmic Star Heroine and My Time at Portia. No sale on the latter but considering what a good deal I've gotten on recent games, I don't mind paying full price. Especially when I expect to be playing for quite some time.

There are just too many games. I don't know how people do it.

Wait I didn't see CSH was again on sale in NA. Why is there still no sale in Europe ?

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I checked they had a 1TB card but it was like four times as much as the 400 (the 512 also didn't seem worth upgrading from 400). Hopefully the prices go down.

One thing to keep in mind when buying an SD card, be careful with amazon, make sure you test every card you buy from them right away for fakes. they comingle stock so even stuff bought from amazon directly can be suspect.
I saw that in a bunch of the reviews. As soon as it shows up I'm getting FF XII and Skyrim, so that should tell me if it's a 2 or 16 GB fake very quickly. Went with the 128 GB Samsung EVO. Planning on physical for Link's Awakening and FE, so space will be preserved that way. I simply don't have the time for gaming anymore that would allow me to fill the card anytime soon.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
gonna skip on Hollow Knight double dip for now, I finished it on PC, I deffo want to replay it on switch eventually but not now, I'd rather get Silksong on Switch I think and then HK when its on sale again for completion.

I'm good for now, lets not forget theres sales all the fucking time, its not like this e3 sale is special heh.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
its mostly the same titles save for a few exceptions like CSH, Dark Souls and some others.
Then I've mostly looked at titles that are for some reason also excluded :/. Overcooked 2, Wild Guns, Trials Rising, Trine 2, Travis Strikes Again, The Messenger, Skyrim, both South Parks, Rayman Legends, Diablo 3.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Then I've mostly looked at titles that are for some reason also excluded :/. Overcooked 2, Wild Guns, Trials Rising, Trine 2, Travis Strikes Again, The Messenger, Skyrim, both South Parks, Rayman Legends, Diablo 3.

the ubisoft games were just on sale for 2 weeks during the EU Ubisoft sale, and The Messanger was on sale during the Devolver sale.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
the ubisoft games were just on sale for 2 weeks during the EU Ubisoft sale, and The Messanger was on sale during the Devolver sale.
Ah I see. Still weird to see so many differences on the other titles between US/EU. These are big titles, I guess E3 is thought of as something more American than worldwide. Or you know, just good ol'fashioned neglecting EU as usual ;)

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Cadence of Hyrule would get a physical release. I won't pay $25 USD for a digital copy, but I'd pay the Switch tax to get a physical copy (which would be nullified by my GCU, in fairness).

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Timespinner in a little over 10 hours and got one of the couple of endings available. I wasn't really feeling it at first but it quickly grew on me as time went on.

I have a few gripes with the game like the game being much too easy (there's an unlockable hard mode once you finish it, though), the time stopping mechanic being an afterthought and the story kind of just petering out (the side quests are great, however) but when it's all said and done, it wound up being one of the better Metroidvania's on the Switch. Definitely worth a playthrough if you're in the market for a good Metroidvania, especially for those who also love SOTN.
Does the time mechanic ever progress beyond just stopping time?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Does the time mechanic ever progress beyond just stopping time?
Nope. And it's that games biggest sin.

There's no cool puzzles involving it. No combat encounter where you use it. Nothing. You might occasionally use it to help with platforming, but other than that, nothing.

I just mopped up a few things, beat that last set of bosses to get the "true" ending and plan to play it again on new game+ on hard mode, so maybe the time mechanic will amount to more, but I sincerely doubt it. And it's a shame too, because if this game used the time mechanic in interesting, cleaver ways it a turned a decent game into a really awesome one.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Im going to question you guys about some games. I have a big wishlist and these have my eye right now on this sale.

Hyrule Warriors for 40
Golf Story for 9.89
Crypt of necrodancer for 3.99: I dont really know if Id like this concept so I would like to try it instead of going for the $25 hyrule.

Hollow Knight seems like a good price. Not sure if Im in the mood for a hard game though.

Or just screw it and get Smash because I havent played that yet?

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Crypt of necrodancer for 3.99: I dont really know if Id like this concept so I would like to try it instead of going for the $25 hyrule.

You can try Crypt of the Necrodancer for free, there's a demo for it in the Japanese eShop.

And do yourself a favor and buy Hollow Knight.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Does SquareEnix do major discounts? Will the FF ports get a bigger discount this year? Kinda interested in getting FF12.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Im going to question you guys about some games. I have a big wishlist and these have my eye right now on this sale.

Hyrule Warriors for 40
Golf Story for 9.89

Hollow Knight seems like a good price. Not sure if Im in the mood for a hard game though.

Or just screw it and get Smash because I havent played that yet?
Hollow Knight isn't crazy hard out of the gate. Do yourself a favor and grab it now. At the price that it currently is it should be criminal to pass on it.